Customize

Riots in Ferguson, Missouri after police shoot Michael Brown

Discussion in 'News and Current Events' started by The Wrong Guy, Aug 10, 2014.

1. RavenEyes Member

• Like Like x 2
  2. RavenEyes Member

All those pictures were taken while gas/rubber bullets were thrown INTO private property - a coffee shop. They told coffee shop patrons if they are on the balcony they will be arrested.

They've already raided at least 2 churches, which had been agreed-upon SAFE SANCTUARIES, but churches.

They're cutting electricity in the area.

The first time they gassed the coffee shop, there was CHILD in there, eating. NO MORE THAN FIVE.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. RavenEyes Member

• Like Like x 1
  4. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 1

5. [IMG]

Ron Christie

HERE COMES THE PRE-JUDGE

Justice Was Served in Ferguson—This Isn’t Jim Crow America

“Civil rights” figures decided long ago that the only fair outcome would be indictment. But that was driven by ideology, not facts.

The day of reckoning has arrived not just in Ferguson, Missouri but also across America. For some, the grand jury proceedings to determine whether the shooting of a black teenager by a white police officer was justified was never about seeking justice. As widely anticipated in the media, the jury of nine whites and three blacks elected not to indict based on the evidence before them. Sadly, hundreds if not thousands of individuals descended upon this small St. Louis suburb to agitate for an outcome based on their ideology rather than the facts under consideration by the grand jury.

Even though the grand jury elected not to find Officer Darren Wilson responsible for the shooting death of teenager Michael Brown, I sadly never believed that the gathering protesters gathered in Ferguson were seeking justice or a peaceful resolution to the case, which has roiled race relations in America to levels I haven’t seen in decades.

How else to explain those chanting “No Justice, No Peace” in the days leading up to the grand jury’s determination? The justice sought by those folks only involved only a conviction against white police officer Wilson for killing “Gentle Giant” teenager Michael Brown. Evidence that favored the police officer’s account that he tragically shot the teen in self defense was conveniently ignored as doing so neatly fits into the narrative that whites are racist, white police officers assassinate blacks at their leisure, and America is as prejudiced toward people of color as it was in Selma, Alabama in 1965.

Don’t take my word on this. Consider the incendiary words spoken by civil rights hero and Georgia Congressman John Lewis (D-GA) last week when he observed: “When we were beaten on that bridge in Selma, the people couldn’t take it, when they saw it, when they heard about it, when they read about it. There was a sense of righteous indignation. And if we see a miscarriage of justice in Ferguson, we’re going to have the same reaction that people had towards Selma.”

I had yet to be born to observe the events of Bloody Sunday on March 7, 1965. On that date, some 600 civil rights marchers departed Selma, Alabama where shortly thereafter they were met by state troopers who attacked them with dogs, billy clubs, and tear gas. However, one can hardly equate the Jim Crow Deep South fraught with systemic racism, poll taxes, literacy taxes, and segregated accommodations to a tragic shooting some 50 years later in which none of us were privy to the facts of the encounter between a police officer and teen in Ferguson, Missouri.

That Congressman Lewis, a civil rights icon who was beaten to within an inch of his life in Selma, would draw a moral equivalence between violence on the part of police officers who viciously beat nonviolent civil rights protestors with the encounter between Brown and Officer Wilson, where the facts indicated the teen had struggled to wrest control of the officer’s gun, is disheartening. Disheartening because Lewis’ words will give strength and solace to those who believe in the narrative that our country remains overwhelmingly prejudiced toward blacks instead of confronting the sad reality that almost all shootings involving black men in America today take place at the hands of other black men rather than white police officers.

How can Lewis prejudge an outcome as a miscarriage of justice involving a shooting unless he considers the only proper outcome to be Wilson’s indictment (and ultimately conviction) when Lewis had no access to the evidence considered by the grand jury? While the grand jury ultimately voted in a manner that would displease Lewis, its members were tasked with weighing evidence and facts, while his finger had already tipped the scales of justice to meet an ideological rather than impartial outcome.
    Last year, 76 law enforcement officers were killed in the line of duty, and I’m hard pressed to name one of them.

Last year, 76 law enforcement officers were killed in the line of duty, and I’m hard pressed to name one of them. Yet, high-profile cases such as the shooting deaths of Trayvon Martin and Mr. Brown in the present case have made these names well known across America and around the world. Their sad fame comes at the hands of those who push the narrative that white cops are motivated by racial animus to kill blacks. How else to explain the media ignoring the thousands upon thousands of blacks who die at the hands of other blacks but the sensationalized 24/7 coverage involved when violence is inflicted at the hands of whites towards blacks?

Finally, someone needs to stand up to denounce the violence, rioting, and looting that has besieged Ferguson since the tragic shooting occurred. I fully support non-violent demonstration – a right enshrined in the First Amendment of our Constitution. I do not support the belief that violent protest is justified regardless of the outcome of the Ferguson grand jury. But the fact that the Missouri National Guard had to be mobilized along with thousands of state, local, and federal law enforcement officers to quell potential riots and acts of violence is nothing short of a disgrace. That gun sales would sky rocket in the town as shop owners boarded up their places of business to prevent looting is a beacon of clarity that illuminates the fact that for many, Ferguson has become a symbol of lawlessness, civil unrest, and violence rather than one of seeking justice for a slain teen.

One can certainly understand that peaceful protestors would convene at the county courthouse where the grand jury rendered its decision. But I’m at a loss as to why protestors also planned in advance to target the headquarters of Boeing, Anheuser-Busch, and the Ritz Carlton unless more ulterior motivation was at hand. These businesses had nothing to do with the fatal shooting last August, and their selection as sites for potential protests only point to civil unrest.

Following Governor Jay Nixon’s news conference last night, protestors were given a two-and-a-half hour head start to assemble prior to the decision being revealed around 8:25 pm. Watching the coverage, I was worried to watch as protestors converge, with signs such as “No Justice, No Peace. FTP,” or “400 Years of Afrikan Slavery.” Many of those gathering in the run up to the grand jury decision wore hockey and tear gas masks to conceal their identity.

As the announcement was read, the reaction from the gathered crowd was one of anger and disgust. Justice may well have been served in Ferguson, but the deep wounds of division of race – and the perpetuation of the meme that America is racist toward blacks in confrontations with police – will be the enduring tragedy we must confront in the days to follow.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...-in-ferguson-this-isn-t-jim-crow-america.html
  6. RavenEyes Member

They forgot the pic of the four women carrying the woman who was having a heart attack in Shaw who was having a heart attack. All four women were gassed and told to drop the unconscious woman. She, then, was gassed. While having a heart attack...and on the ground.

MSM is slanting everything against the people on the ground in Missouri. I wish we could keep published MSM BS off this thread, at least today. I don't care about a few people in Seattle looking sad. Amnesty International getting gassed three times in Missouri? Yeah, that's a bit more relevant.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Ferguson Grand Jury Faced Mass of Evidence, Much of It Conflicting

FERGUSON, Mo. — Michael Brown became so angry when he was stopped by Officer Darren Wilson on Canfield Drive here on Aug. 9, his face looked “like a demon,'’ the officer would later tell a grand jury.

He testified that when Mr. Brown reached into the officer’s vehicle and fought him for his gun, Mr. Brown was so physically overpowering that the officer “felt like a 5-year-old holding onto Hulk Hogan.”

And when Mr. Brown ran away and then turned to face Officer Wilson, the officer recalled, he did not raise his hands in a gesture of retreat, as many neighbors have said – he made “a grunting, like aggravated sound,” clenched his left hand into a fist, tucked his right hand under his shirt toward his waistband and began running at the officer, who shot him dead.

That account, a vivid and vastly different version from what many people believe happened on Aug. 9, was given by Officer Wilson when he testified before a St. Louis County grand jury in September.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/26/u...-of-evidence-much-of-it-conflicting.html?_r=0
  8. eddieVroom Member

9. Sekee Member

UN human rights chief Zeid Ra'ad Al Hussein has raised his concerns over the disproportionate number of young African Americans dying in police confrontations in the wake of the Ferguson shooting verdict.
    The acquittal of white St Louis police officer Darren Wilson in the shooting of Michael Brown has prompted Hussein to call upon the US to re-examine how race-related issues affect law enforcement and justice, which is responsible for a "deep and festering" mistrust within sectors of the population, reported Reuters.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/ferguson-v...-disproportionate-deaths-hands-police-1476577
  10. Sekee Member

A masked protester in Ferguson, Missouri, pushed a Fox News camera down during a live broadcast of the unrest on Monday night.

Fox News reporter Steve Harrigan was reporting on damage caused near a McDonald's in the Missouri town when a man wearing a Guy Fawkes (V for Vendetta) mask came up to the camera.

Shouting "hey man, f*ck you", the protester hits down on the camera and a blackout ensues.
    <script height="315px" width="560px" src="http://player.ooyala.com/iframe.js#...G38ExOl&pbid=ZTIxYmJjZDM2NWYzZDViZGRiOWJjYzc5"></script>

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...r-attacks-Fox-News-cameraman-live-on-air.html
    • Like Like x 1
  11. The Wrong Guy Member

John Pertzborn @PERTZFOX · 3h 3 hours ago
    Body of a Black male found near Canfield Apt in #Ferguson. In his 20s shot to death and set on fire.
    @FOX2now

John Pertzborn @PERTZFOX · 2h 2 hours ago
    Body In car near Canfield Apt's #Ferguson clothes burned. Shot in head, he may be younger, 16 to 18. Plate registered East St Louis.
    @FOX2now

Report: Body Found Shot to Death, Set Fire Near Apartment Complex Where Michael Brown Died

http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/2014/11...r-apartment-complex-where-michael-brown-died/
    • Like Like x 2
  12. The Wrong Guy Member

Lisa Bloom @LisaBloom · 4h 4 hours ago
    Finished reading testimony of police officer who interviewed Wilson. Also very friendly. No one points out conflict between Wilson's stories.

Sargeant says Wilson told him he did NOT know of stealing incident. Wilson says he DID know about it. No one points out this inconsistency.

Why are the names of the police officers who investigated Wilson redacted from the released documents? They are public officials.

Lisa Bloom @LisaBloom · 3h 3 hours ago
    Darren Wilson's police interview: Mike Brown struck me in my face 10 times. Wilson to grand jury: he struck me in my face twice. No one points this out.

Lisa Bloom @LisaBloom · 2h 2 hours ago
    I just got a very successful outcome for a black man beaten by cops and guards. Only one way to do that: aggressive cross-examination.

Lisa Bloom @LisaBloom · 1h 1 hour ago
    My friends at Avvo helpfully compiled all my Ferguson articles and tweets here:
    http://nakedlaw.avvo.com/lisa-bloom...-not-to-indict-in-michael-brown-shooting.html
    • Like Like x 3
  13. eddieVroom Member

For all the talk from Conservatives about going up against the government, here we have a community that is dying at the hands of government employees, and are now being disproportionately used as fodder for profit-based Corrections. They have sought to petition their government only to have their grievances largely fall upon deaf ears.

Arguably, citizens in Ferguson last night petitioned their government via the last-line-of-defense process remaining. In that this mode of communication is self-destructive to the community (and I have no doubt some will object to the metaphor), I feel our society becoming as a teen who has taken up cutting -- but what's left?

Also, I'd like to know why the guys at Bundy Ranch got to walk away, while Ferguson gets tear gas and rubber bullets.
    • Like Like x 2
  14. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 2
  15. http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2014/11/24/Obama-speech-Ferguson

first second third
    This message by first second third has been hidden due to negative ratings. (Show message)
    • Dislike Dislike x 3
  16. first second third
    This message by first second third has been hidden due to negative ratings. (Show message)
    • Dislike Dislike x 3
  17. The Wrong Guy Member

GeorgeStephanopoulos @GStephanopoulos · 8h 8 hours ago
    In St. Louis this morning for @GMA after grand jury decision in #Ferguson - violent night here. Shots fired, buildings burned, National Guard here.

GeorgeStephanopoulos @GStephanopoulos · 2h 2 hours ago
    Just finished a more than hour-long interview with Officer Darren Wilson. No question off limits.

B3Tu0oSCAAAEqcb.jpg:large.jpg

GeorgeStephanopoulos @GStephanopoulos · 1h 1 hour ago
    On air @ABC with Darren Wilson special report. Wilson tells me he feared for his life. Would not do anything different.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. cuedude Member

and America is going to fix the middle east north korea and Afghanistan.? .makes our snow problems in buffalo very small.
    • Like Like x 3
  19. eddieVroom Member

Focusing on Wilson is a bit of a red herring IMO. These riots are about way more than just Darren Wilson.
    • Like Like x 2
  20. There aren't any justifiable or logical reasons for arson, stealing, violence etc.
  21. Kilia Member

22. eddieVroom Member

I can't condone it -- but it seems intellectually dishonest to believe that this is sound reasoning to pooh-pooh the underlying issues, if that's where you're leading.
    • Like Like x 4
  23. Kilia Member

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
  24. The Wrong Guy Member

Darren Wilson Speaks Out For the First Time to George Stephanopoulos

Published by ABC News on November 25, 2014

In an ABC News exclusive, police officer Darren Wilson breaks his silence about the shooting of Michael Brown.
    • Like Like x 1
  25. Jeff Jacobsen Member

http://www.rollingstone.com/politic...titutes-appropriate-rebellion-20141125?page=2

"What constitutes appropriate rebellion is an easy question to answer for every armed neoconfederate asshole with an annotated Glenn Beck version of the Constitution. Unrest and revolt is 100 percent OK within the right kind of demographic, which is why white dudes can parade around government buildings with AR-15s on their backs in a display of political unrest as "heritage," while ACORN registering votes and preventing predatory lending constitutes organized crime."

This is a great article!
    • Like Like x 1
  26. The Wrong Guy Member

How Not to Use a Grand Jury | The New Yorker

By Jeffrey Toobin

Criminal procedure — the everyday rules of the road — gets a bad rap. It’s said to be rigid, routine, incapable of accommodating the nuances of human behavior. But, as the atypical grand-jury proceedings in the aftermath of Michael Brown’s death illustrate, there is a great deal to be said for prosecutors following the customary rules of their profession.

http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/use-grand-jury
  27. The Wrong Guy Member

Internationally Banned Tear Gas for Domestic Use Only

Published by breakingtheset on November 25, 2014

Abby Martin discusses the use of tear gas on protesters in Ferguson and around the world, despite the fact that it’s an internationally banned chemical weapon.
    • Like Like x 3
  28. meep meep Member

• Like Like x 1
  29. meep meep Member

A talking head LE on CNN today called the protesters animals and goblins #itsnotracism
  30. Did he say that about both the rioters and the protesters?
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  31. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 1
  32. delanon Member

Anon (particularly posers) have such a small presence in MO, I don't think it matters. Bill O'Really is the only one I know targeting Anon specifically.
  33. delanon Member

34. Hugh Bris Member

• Like Like x 2
  35. delanon Member

Completely agree. Can't believe how many of the thugs are "thanking Anon". Fuck 'em.
  36. meep meep Member

Yes he did. Anyone out there at night were animals and goblins.
  37. meep meep Member

38. 20-Year-Old DeAndre Joshua Shot Dead During Ferguson Riots

3 hours ago
    [IMG]
    The town of Ferguson suffers another casualty
    Ferguson, MO has yielded yet another death. This time, 20-year-oldDeAndre Joshua was shot dead during the massive riots in the St. Louis suburb. Though details are still murky, the young man was allegedly shot by a stray bullet while sitting in his Pontiac Grand Prix. Reports since last night claimed that there have been over 150 gunshots during the turmoil, not to mention over 25 businesses and buildings that have been destroyed. Joshua’s car was parked less than a mile from where Michael Brown was killed by Officer Darren Wilson on August 9th.

http://thesource.com/2014/11/25/20-year-old-deandre-joshua-shot-dead-during-ferguson-riots/