Customize

Robert Hunter on Grateful Dead's Early Days and 'Sacred' Songs | Rolling Stone

Discussion in 'News and Current Events' started by The Wrong Guy, Mar 9, 2015.

1. The Wrong Guy Member

Robert Hunter on Grateful Dead's Early Days and 'Sacred' Songs | Rolling Stone

By David Browne, March 9, 2015

Excerpt:

At one point in the mid-Sixties, you also dabbled with Scientology.

For a short time. This was a brand new thing at the time. This fellow came down and was telling us fantastic things, like you get could get out of your body. All of that sounded great. But let's just say Scientology and I were not a very good match. I was pretty independent minded. They sent me these yellow sheets telling me to disconnect from one of my friends. Jerry came to one of the meetings. And he truly didn't care for it. We did these confronting drills and stared into each other's eyes for long periods of time and tried not to think without trying and not blink [chuckles]. I gave it the good old college try but then moved into other forms of spiritual endeavors and yoga. I was a seeker at the time, and this was one of the places I sought and it wasn't good fit. In the end the Grateful Dead fit. I thought there was a possible holy perspective to the Grateful Dead, that what we were doing was almost sacred.

The full article is here:
    http://www.rollingstone.com/music/f...s-early-days-wild-tours-sacred-songs-20150309
    • Like Like x 4
  2. RightOn Member

Rolling Stone has now removed a line that I highlighted above.
    I am SO glad you printed that whole paragraph Wrong Guy!

What it says now:
    "For a short time. This was a brand new thing at the time. This fellow came down and was telling us fantastic things, like you get could get out of your body. All of that sounded great. But let's just say Scientology and I were not a very good match. I was pretty independent minded. Jerry came to one of the meetings. And he truly didn't care for it. We did these confronting drills and stared into each other's eyes for long periods of time and tried not to think without trying and not blink. [Chuckles] I gave it the good old college try but then moved into other forms of spiritual endeavors and yoga. I was a seeker at the time and this was one of the places I sought and it wasn't a good fit. In the end the Grateful Dead fit. I thought there was a possible holy perspective to the Grateful Dead, that what we were doing was almost sacred."
    • Like Like x 4
  3. RightOn Member

wonder who asked them to remove it and why?
  4. Anonymous Member

It could be it was removed from the on-line edition, but maintained in the print edition.

Editors perhaps decided there was enough on-line rumpus about the cult?