Customize

Russia's very own thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by The Internet, Nov 2, 2016.

1. DeathHamster Member

Yeah, that's a definite "Fuck You!" response from Russia.

They've been propping up up Asad since after Arab Spring, bombing anti-ISIS anti-Asad forces for two years, and helping out with strikes against civilians to increase the refugee problem that they're dumping on the west, while using Russian media and alt-right connections to demonize refugees and drive extreme-right political movements in many western countries.

If Obama's last act in office had been to land a cruise missile on Asad, I think we'd all have been happier in the long run.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. assad_syria_cruise_missile.jpg?w=640.jpg
  3. The Internet Member

https://www.buzzfeed.com/sheerafren...sias-cyberse?utm_term=.xcm855rPJ3#.ofg4wwZrqm

1-26-2017
    The arrest of several of Russia’s top cybersecurity figures has led to speculation that there’s a shakeup inside the country’s national security service related to hacks surrounding the US election.

A series of surprising arrests of some of Russia’s top cybersecurity figures has left the international cybersecurity officials and analysts wondering whether Russia is cleaning house of suspected spies, or going through an internal shakeup of the FSB, Russia’s national security service.

At some point in December, Ruslan Stoyanov, a well-respected researcher with the Moscow-based Kaspersky Lab, and Sergei Mikhailov, head of the FSB’s Center of information Security, were arrested by Russian police as part of what Russia’s Kommersant newspaper described as a probe into possible treason. No date of arrest has been made public, though Kommersant reported that Stoyanov last logged into his private social media account on December 4, and Mikhailov on December 5. The Moscow-based Novaya Gazeta newspaper cited sources as saying Mikhailov was arrested during a meeting with other FSB officers in Moscow, and was taken from the room with a sack over his head.

On Thursday, REN-TV, a privately-owned TV channel in Russia, said a second FSB officer had also been arrested in December. They identified the man as Major Dmitry Dokuchayev, and reported he had served under Mikhailov in the the Center for Information Security. In another indication that Russia was seeing a high-level shakedown at the FSB, Kommersant reported that on January 13, the director of the Center for Information Security, Andrei Gerasimov, was fired. He was described as having close ties to cybersecurity companies, including Kaspersky Lab.

Kaspersky Lab confirmed that Stoyanov was under investigation for activity during a period predating his employment at the company, and added, in a public statement, “We do not possess details of the investigation. The work of Kaspersky Lab's Computer Incidents Investigation Team is unaffected by these developments."

Stoyanov’s LinkedIn page lists his previous employer as the Ministry of the Interior’s Cyber Crime Unit.

Four intelligence officers working in various branches of the US government told BuzzFeed News this week that they had no insight into the arrests of Stoyanov and Mikhailov, with one explaining, “it’s above my paygrade.”

“There are a small handful of people who would know if one or both of these men was a US asset or in any way involved in any intelligence operation, and I’m not one of them,” said the US intelligence officer, who asked not to be named due to the sensitivity of the story. “Obviously, this could also be an internal struggle within the FSB, in which case we would have little daylight into what was happening.”

The case against Stoyanov and Mikhailov has been filed in a secret military tribunal under Article 275 of the country’s constitution, which allows the government to investigate individuals they suspect of spying for a foreign state.

Whether or not their cases have anything to do with the Russia’s involvement in the hacks targeting the US 2016 elections remains unclear. Fancy Bear, the group named by US cybersecurity companies as being behind the hacking and leaking of damaging emails from top DNC officials, has been tied back to the GRU, Russia’s main foreign intelligence agency. Cozy Bear, a group also believed to have been within the DNC’s system, has been linked to the FSB.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. The Internet Member

Russia Federal Agents Suspected of Treason Reportedly Passed Secrets to the CIA
    The arrests happened in December, after the pee pee dossier came out and people wanted to know its sources. The Trump team likely learned that the US had assets amongst Russian cyber security experts working for the FSB. This info likely got back to the Russians (Flynn did talk to the Russian ambassador several times), who then went on a mole hunt.

tl;dr: Sucks to be a CIA asset in Russia right now.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. The Internet Member

http://www.thelocal.se/20170306/rinkeby-teens-say-russian-tv-crew-tried-to-bribe-them
    If Trump makes up a story about a bomb going off in your neighborhood, you should probably leave town for a few days.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. The Internet Member

• Like Like x 1
  7. The Internet Member

Putin wants the USSR satellite countries back and he's willing to go military for that.

If you Eastern European fags are cool with that, great! Because I don't want to pay for any wars.

If not cool, then please speak up pretty loudly. Because Trump is going to be very hard of hearing.

• Like Like x 1
  8. The Internet Member

October 2016 Kislyak gave a talk at an economic forum in Detroit. Somebody asked him if he'd had any contact with people in the Trump campaign. He asked, "What do you call campaign?" Good question because that is a loophole you can drive a truck through.

People, please word your questions of crooked individuals more carefully.

Anyway, Kislyak said he was at a meet and greet with a bunch of other ambassadors that congress critters could walk up to and schmooze. But he denied any specific meetings with Trumpsters.

Yet five Trumpsters now admit to meeting with Kislyak. Hmm.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. The Internet Member

This short video is dense with info that requires careful thought. In brief:

After Trump was elected, Russia loaned money to Venezuela's state owned oil company. This company owns a significant portion of US company Citgo. Now the Venezuelan company is going to default on the Russian loan. It posted its Citgo ownership as collateral. So Russia will soon own a significant portion of a US oil company, unless Trump blocks the transfer.

Would Russia have accepted Citgo as collateral if Clinton won the election? I doubt it due to sanctions.

The Committee on Foreign Investment within the United States (CFIUS) could block the deal. But the committee includes Rex Tillerson, Rick Perry, and Wilber Ross. So major conflicts of interest.

What happens when our own domestic oil industry is more closely aligned with Putin than the interests of the US? My guess is, Eastern Europe is fucked. Also the planet is fucked because climate scientists will be silenced.

If Trump and Putin are secretly in cahoots, we would expect to see a flurry of communication between the Trump Team and the Russians between Nov 8th when Trump was elected and Nov 30 when the Venezuelan deal was finalized.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. The Internet Member

• Like Like x 2
  11. The Internet Member

Just some background regarding the July 20 2016 event in Cleveland where Jeff Sessions spoke briefly with Ambassador Kislyak, from the perspective of an attendee. I have the impression that Kislyak and Sessions were standing in a public area with other people around. So most likely an innocent conversation. I'm not sure about Flynn's conversation with Kislyak at the RNC.
  12. http://www.churchill-society-london.org.uk/RusnEnig.html

13. DeathHamster Member

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/russia-hackers-charged-yahoo-breach-1.4026006
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Quentinanon Member

I don't buy into the Russian National Interest argument at all.
    Like anybody else, Putin makes decisions in accordance with his value system which is very similar to that of many Russians. Putin is an ultra-conservative and conservatives are his support base. If a military incursion into a neighboring country's territory fits his values, he will order it. If a asymmetrical cyber war against U.S. institutions fits his values, he will order it.
  15. Spanker that was written in 1939 things have moved on somewhat as has the political map.
    Europe's greatest threat at the present time is the vast number of Muslims who are there with the intention of creating a society that is entirely devoted to Islam.
    Putin follows a poor second to that.
  16. The Internet Member

• Like Like x 2
  17. I'm miffed as fuck they caught Karim Bartov.
  18. The Internet Member

There are Christians in the US called "dominionists" who want to make America a "Christian" nation founded upon Biblical principles, whatever those are. But most Christians prefer a secular government because they do not want the government claiming to be the boss of religion. So it's important not to paint all Christians with the dominionist brush.

Similarly, most muslims who move to western democracies do so because they favor the economic and political freedom available in those democracies. They are not muslim dominionists and we shouldn't view them as such.

A hundred and fifty years ago when Irish Catholics were moving to the US in large numbers, protestants worried about the Vatican gaining too much control over US institutions. They argued that Catholics have to take the Pope's word as gospel. So if the Pope orders them to do something they will blindly obey. Turns out that was crazy talk.

Putin's info dissemination network spreads fear of muslims around the clock. He's using this fear to break apart western alliances. So let's not be suckers for whatever he's selling.
    • Like Like x 2
  19. Quentinanon Member

Crash site of a Marcabian Fleet freighter.
  20. Disambiguation Global Moderator

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-russia-congress-idUSKBN16M2H0
    • Like Like x 1
  21. The Internet Member

Some background regarding the alliance between Exxon and Rosneft.
  22. DeathHamster Member

I just checked my ancient Hotmail account. On the same morning, someone tried to set that as a recovery address too.

That's... interesting. Both accounts have similar names, and similar to a Yahoo account. (I use different passwords on every account.) I wouldn't be surprised if it was related to those recently busted hackers.
    • Like Like x 1
  23. Incredulicide Member

24. The Internet Member

Some history on the relationship between Koch Industries and Russia.

Koch Sees Long-Term Role for Russian Crude in US Market
    October 11, 2002

Russia may not be about to vault into the million-barrel-per-day club of top crude exporters to the US, but it could well become an important second-tier supplier, according to Steve Mawer, president of Koch Supply & Trading.

“It’s something we believe will grow,” Mawer told Oil Daily.

“If you look at the statistics on Russian production and exports, they are truly impressive.”

Koch Supply & Trading, a unit of Kansas-based Koch Industries, delivered the first ever shipment of Russian Urals crude — a 285,000 bbl cargo purchased from Russia’s Tyumen Oil — to the US Strategic Petroleum Reserve this week. Koch also opened an office in Moscow recently to pursue what it sees as a growing opportunity to trade Russian crude oil and refined products.

Russian oil exports to the US have been in the spotlight since July when Yukos brought a supertanker laden with 1.7 mil- lion bbl of crude for Exxon Mobil to the US Gulf Coast, the first of a dozen such shipments intended to test the economic feasibility of regular exports over such a long distance.

In fact, Russian exports to the US — fairly sporadic in the past — were already picking up momentum in May of this year when a record 220,000 b/d were delivered to refineries operated by Exxon Mobil, Citgo, Atofina, Murphy, and Premcor. The pace eased off to an average of 78,000 b/d in June and 79,000 b/d in July — a far cry from the volumes of more than 1 million b/d supplied by Canada, Mexico, Saudi Arabia, and Venezuela — but remained well above levels seen from Russia in the past.

Mawer, who is responsible for crude supplies to Koch’s refineries in Corpus Christi, Texas, and Pine Bend, Minnesota, said forces are at work, which suggests that Russia could start to supply significant volumes to the US market on a more or less regular basis.

“There’s no reason why it couldn’t be several hundred thousand barrels a day,” he said.

The most important of those forces, Mawer said, is the steady rise in Russian production and exports.

But the trend is also fueled by additional supplies entering the Mediterranean market — the traditional outlet for Russian exports — from sources such as the Tengiz field in Kazakstan and the Sahara in North Africa.

“Clearly the Mediterranean is getting longer and longer in crude oil and one of the things that will happen is that Russian crude will get pushed out of the Med, looking for markets,” Mawer said.

In the past Russian oil only entered the US market during brief windows of opportunity when market conditions left Urals crude attractively priced relative to similar medium-gravity, medium-sulfur crudes such as the domestic Mars grade, Mesa from Venezuela, or Basrah from Iraq.

Mawer said he expects such arbitration opportunities to become more frequent and stay open longer. “I think the temporary is becoming more permanent over time. As the supply/demand match in the Mediterranean gets longer, these windows where the barrel has to arb become longer,” he said.

So far this year Koch Supply & Trading has purchased 4.3 million bbl of Russian crude and some 10 million bbl of Russian fuel oil for import into the US.

Asked about the possibility in the future of a long-term deal with a Russian producer to supply crude to the two Koch refineries, Mawer said that was “not out of the question.”

Koch is one of many US firms looking to bring more Russian crude to the US. Last week, Marathon Oil and Russian oil company Rosneft formed a new joint venture — called Urals North American Marketing — that will start delivering crude to the US in the third quarter of 2003 (OD Oct.3,p7).

http://www.kochind.com/files/documents/od101102kochsees.pdf
  25. The Internet Member

More stuff about ties between US oil and Russia. This article was written about a month after the Maidan uprising in Ukraine. Looks like Putin sealed a huge deal with Tillerson not long before he decided to invade Crimea and eastern Ukraine.

Seems Tillerson didn't expect the Exxon-Russia deal to be halted due to sanctions so I wonder if Putin over-estimated the political power of oil companies in the US. The sanctions have hit Russia pretty hard and I doubt Putin would have invaded Ukraine had he known that would be the US response.

I wonder if Putin felt emboldened by his mega-deal with ExxonMobil. If so, THAT IS A VERY BAD SIGN!
  26. The Internet Member

Some new info about Paul Manafort. I knew he'd been hired to help Putin friendly politicians in Ukraine. But I didn't know he'd made a deal with an oligarch close to Putin, Oleg Deripaska, to launch a media corporation.

Deripaska gave Manafort 19 million dollars to create the media enterprise. But after Manafort got the money he stopped returning Deripaska's calls. And he did not deliver the goods.

The obvious question is: why is Manafort still alive?

I think I know the answer.

Timeline:
    2006 - 2009: Derepaska pays Manafort at least $10 million per year for active measures in support of Putin’s interests in various countries including the US. Manafort never registered as a foreign agent in the US. The checks went to Manafort’s dormant company, LOAV Ltd.

2008: Manafort’s company works for the McCain campaign

2013-14: Manafort works for Yankovich in Ukraine.

2014: Derepaska pays Manafort $19 million to start a media company, Black Sea Cable. Manafort takes the money but doesn’t do the work. Derepaska sues Manafort in the Cayman Islands.

2015: Manafort sells his house in Virginia and moves into Trump Tower in NY.

2016: March-August Manafort becomes the chairman of the Trump campaign. Once Trump wins the nomination, Derepaska drops the lawsuit.
  27. The Internet Member

Here is a clue that might help us understand why Paul Manafort has not been drinking any polonium tea: