Customize

School shooting in CT

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Paroxetine Samurai, Dec 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anonymous Member

This is how mental health is related
    REPOST

http://www.securityinfowatch.com/article/10489768/the-psychology-of-a-mass-murderer[quoute]

SIW: What is the psychological profile of someone who’s willing to carry out a mass shooting?
    Dietz: The real issues with mass murderers is that all of them are both sad and depressed enough to be willing to die and also angry or paranoid enough that they are blaming other people for their suffering and misfortune. Those are two of the critical ingredients, there has never been a mass murderer, acting alone, who didn’t have both of those (characteristics) in mass murders against strangers where mass murder is defined as three or more people dead in one incident for psychological reasons.
    Are there any warning signs that a person maybe getting ready to commit an atrocity such as this?
    There are always countless warning signs observed by nearly everyone who has had contact with the person and often for years. Unfortunately, those warning signs are not very specific and so they apply to many people who will never be violent toward anyone but themselves and they apply to many people for short term reasons that will go away. In order to be able to catch in your net, everyone who will do a mass murder, you need to err on the side of catching hundreds or thousands of people with similar behaviors who will never commit a mass murder no matter what you do. When prediction suffers form that problem, it is necessary to be very thoughtful about what you do to the false positives who you identify as having some of the warning signs. This is easy to prevent among employees or students on a campus or patients in hospital, and very difficult to prevent in society at large under our system of law.[/quote]
    There is also a pod cast of mental health and mass killings posted earlier.
  2. There is also a pod cast of mental health and mass killings posted earlier.[/quote]

"both sad and depressed enough to be willing to die and also angry or paranoid enough" - many of you, Anonymous, fit here quite well.
    "acting alone" - I'm sure he had support from his "virtual friends". His BS was strong! He, no matter how mental, was never alone. He was, I'm fucking sure, was supported in his endeavor. There might have been a girl who challenged him in the Internet, or there might have been a forum where he was/felt challenged. IOW, he didn't just wake up one day to decide to drive for 2 hours to kill his mom and everyone near her. Get it?
  3. I'm afraid of the possible (quite possible) moment where someone points a gun at me and tells me "What are your arguments?". - I don't want to live in a world where "Smith&Wesson beats 4 Aces".

If you, Americans, live in a world of fear, why should I?

In the USA producing and selling guns is just business. Business as usual. - It's a GREAT business (Much money has been made).

Well, American Dream is all about Business, right?

So, those who produce and sell weapons are doing just what you, yourselves, want, achieve American Dream.

After all, it's been all Constitutional, right?
  4. Anonymous Member

Society does nothing. People do.
    There is no society if you take away the people.

As for thinking I'm special, no more so than the next snowflake. But that makes us all equal, no more important or unimportant than the next person
  5. Contributing is way more important.

When someone feels that society owes him anything (many things) he just runs fast on the way to become unnoticable. He isn't a member anymore. :confused:
  6. Anonymous Member

A person is a person, many people are a society, if you take away the people there is no society, therefore people are society.

Wow, really deep..........not!
  7. Constitutional rights or not, madness will always find a way. Then King Laugh will come and make fools out of us all.

Same old shit, just a different day. We mourn the dead while the media celebrates the shooter.
  8. HOC Member

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. anonymous612 Member

Possessives such as "your" can also mean "the one I belong to," not just "the one that belongs to me." EG, America is "my" country not because I own any of it but because I am part of it and therefore "belong" to it and its sphere of responsibility.

Being angry and sad is not a mental illness. Call me back when he's been diagnosed with something (which would be impressive to achieve, postmortem). In the meantime, he's not a crazy dude who only shot up a school because he was crazy, he's a sane person who shot up a school because evil exists and he's it.

When you blame his actions on mental illness instead of "he's a fucking evil bastard," you absolve him of responsibility for his crimes. We always like to tell ourselves that only a crazy person could do something as horrible as _____, because we want to think that "normal" people couldn't possibly be murderous monsters, so anyone who is must have the excuse of being some sort of abnormal insane person. And that's simply not true. Sometimes people kill other people because they're a fucking bad person and bad people exist.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  10. Anonymous Member

That's a valid point, 612.
  11. anonymous612 Member

I lucked into it purely by accident, I assure you.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Anonymous Member

Evil does indeed exist. WBC are living (hopefully very temporarily) proof of such evil.

Would I as an anonymous contributor to this debate take part in evil acts to fight those I percieve as more evil?

I'm not sure I could kill the younger members of the Phelps clan with no remorse.

I'm pretty sure I would be happy to smash up the old man Fred and then teabag him for the cameras, for great justice.

Maybe that makes me evil. Until any of the pro-gun theorists and self aggrandizing can speak of what it is to actually take a life of another human, it's all just sounding like bravado and conjecture.

Private Ownership of massive calibre armor piercing death machines is for retarded scared people who need to be monitored for all our sakes. Register those weapons or lose your liberty.

I wipe my ass with the 2nd amendment, and I got me a dirty ass.
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  13. Anonymous Member

If you mean, am I willing to be cannon fodder for some guy who wants to prove he is the big man on campus?
    Fuck no

If you mean, will I protect my friends and neighbors, 'society', from attack, then absolutely, to the best of my ability. And since I'm sort of small I'd like a good powerful gun to even up the odds.

You expect me to agree with my country right or wrong, and salivate when they ring the bell. I have learned that governments want wars that the people do not.

I'd also like to hear what people mean by the term 'society'
    It has several different definitions.
  14. Is there any way Anonymous can take down the NRA website, or do something similar to the WBC action? I am significantly pro Free Speech, but when the NRA uses its money and influence to scare politicians on both sides to avoid tackling RESPONSIBLE gun ownership and banning high power weapons, I think Anonymous needs to get involved.
    Just a thought. Keep up the good work.
    Anon MD
    This message by Anon MD has been hidden due to negative ratings. (Show message)
    • Dumb Dumb x 3
  15. Anonymous Member

We don't know yet if he was evil or evil and sick. There are "sane insane" people like sociopaths, without remorse and capable of evil because they have no ability to see good. IMHO that is evil. Then there are people who have voices in their heads telling them to kill school children. Those are irrational and it is in no way their fault. Sociopaths know right from wrong and don't care. So the question- are the WBC evil sociopaths or insane?
  16. Anonymous Member

Fire Arm Insurance
    By John Gear
    December 18, 2012 "Information Clearing House" - We can fix the gun problem. We can make America safer, without limiting our right to bear arms. And we can do it without an expensive, dangerous, and futile "War on Guns."

To solve the real problem (keeping guns out of the wrong hands-without restricting other people) we must use an idea that has worked to limit losses from many other hazards: insurance. That's right, insurance, the system of risk-management contracts that lets people take responsibility for choices they make that impose risks on others.

Insurance is what lets society accommodate technology. Without it, we would have few autos, airplanes, trains, steamships, microwaves, elevators, skyscrapers, and little electricity, because only the wealthiest could accept the liability involved. When people are accountable for risks imposed on others, they act more responsibly. Insurance is what enables this accountability.

Rather than trying to limit access to or take guns away from law-abiding adults, we must instead insist that the adult responsible for a gun at any instant (maker, seller, or buyer) have enough liability insurance to cover the harm that could result if that adult misuses it or lets it reach the wrong hands.

Who gets the insurance proceeds, and for what? The state crime victims' compensation fund, whenever a crime involving guns is committed or a gun mishap occurs. The more victims, the bigger the payout. The greater the damage (from intimidation to multiple murders and permanent crippling), the greater the payout. The insurers will also pay the fund for other claims, such as when a minor commits suicide by gun or accidentally kills a playmate with Daddy's pistol. This will reduce such mishaps. Insurance is very effective in getting people to adopt safe practices in return for lower premiums.

When a crime involving a gun occurs, the firm who insured it pays the claim. If the gun is not found or is uninsured (and there will still be many of these at first) then every fund will pay a pro-rated share of the damages, based on the number of guns they insure. This will motivate insurance firms--and legitimate gun owners--to treat uninsured guns as poison, instead of as an unavoidable byproduct of the Second Amendment. Thus, insurance will unite the interests of all law-abiding citizens, gun owners and others, against the real problem with guns: guns in the hands of criminals, the reckless, the untrained, and juveniles.

Like other insurance, firearm insurance will be from a private firm or association, not the government. Owners, makers, and dealers will likely self-insure, forming large associations just as the early "automobilists" did. Any financially-sound group, such as the NRA, can follow state insurance commission rules and create a firearms insurance firm.

That's it. No mass or government registrations. Except for defining the rules, no government involvement at all. Each owner selects his or her insurance firm. By reaffirming the right to responsible gun ownership and driving uninsured guns out of the system, we use a proven, non-prohibitionist strategy for improving public safety.

Each insurance firm will devise a strategy for earning more revenue with fewer claims. Thus gun owners -- informed by the actuaries -- will choose for ourselves the controls we will tolerate, and the corresponding premiums. (Rates will vary according to the gun we want to insure, our expertise, and claims history.)

Some will want a cheaper policy that requires trigger locks whenever the gun is not in use; others will not. Hobbyists will find cheaper insurance by keeping their firearms in a safe at the range. Newer, younger shooters and those who choose weapons that cause more claims will pay higher premiums. That way, other owners, with more training and claims-free history, will pay less. (Insurance companies are expert at evaluating combined risks and dividing them up-in the form of premiums-with exquisite precision.)

Soon, the firms will emphasize cutting claims. That means promoting gun safety and fighting black market gun dealers, which is where many criminals get guns. And every legitimate gun owner will have a persuasive reason -- lower premiums -- to help in the fight.

We need to start discussing this now, because it will take several years to enact. Gun-control advocates will hate this because it forsakes the failed prohibitionist approach. But the evidence is clear: there is virtually no chance that prohibiting guns can work without destroying our civil liberties, and probably not even then.

And the organized gun lobby will hate it too, because most of their power comes from having the threat of gun prohibition to point to. But again the evidence is clear: we have the current gun laws -- ineffective as they are -- because we have neglected a right even more important to Americans than the right to bear arms: the right to be safely unarmed.

Naturally, many gun owners will resent paying premiums, because they resent assuming responsibility for risks that, so far, we've dumped on everyone else. So be it. It is only by assuming our responsibilities that we preserve our rights. Some will note that the Second Amendment doesn't include "well-insured." But, just as the press needs insurance against libel suits to exercise the First Amendment, we must assume responsibility for the risks that firearms present to society.

The problem is real, even such prohibitionist strategies are doomed to fail, even if passed. Sadly, some pro-gun groups have already revved up their own mindless propaganda, blaming Springfield on liberals, TV, Dr. Spock, "bad seeds," you name it -- anything but the easy access to guns that made massacres like Springfield so quick, so easy, and so likely.

This won't work instantly -- but it will work, because it breaks the deadlock about guns and how to keep them away from people who shouldn't have them, without stomping on the rights of the rest of us. Thus it changes the dynamics of this issue and ends the lethal deadlock over guns.

It's time for everyone, people seeking safety from guns and law-abiding gun owners alike, to work together to fight firearms in the wrong hands, and it's time to fight with FIRE: Firearm Insurance, Required Everywhere.
    • Like Like x 2
  17. Anonymous Member

now there's a relief :/

But it's so much more fun to bicker about eeviiil
  18. pedrofcuk Member

z3fnm.png
    CCHR seize the chance to attack psychiatry.
    • Like Like x 3
  19. Anonymous Member

ok, so, ITT:

Nothing is ours ,,,the MAN owns us and controls us? (We The Sheeple of the United States of America! Its a bummer that some are that beat down by their government).

If I own a gun I fear something? (Yeah,others with guns. Also have you ever fired a gun,,,its fun,,,therapeutic even,,whatever.The point is I do not fear fun or therapy and my gun helps with any fear I may encounter).

Some say "You can pull my gun from my deep red ass",,,or some shit. They need their guns" in case the MAN comes a knockin",, (Not for us to judge what makes people feel safe.,,,I have a razor sharp machete by my door for when the zombies come a knockin. Ban Machetes!!!

And post here have shown how fucked up the MAN is and in other post people say ,,"oh you have nothing to fear from the government". I think being ready is justified,,I don't mean that all,,,rednecky I just mean there is no harm in being prepared.
    The logic that my guns are no match for the military's weaponry,,really?,, no shit dumbass ,but if they were to pull some sideways bullshit then I'm not going down without a fight.

Whats wrong with all of that? Oh mass murders will happen if we have those kind of guns,,,,wrong,,, I feel that most folks with guns have respect for their weapon and for human life.

And to say that not only people with head issues kill people,that some are just evil. Well that's just retarded. By that logic your saying a straight laced kind and gentle Joe could go off and murder some people then go home and kiss his kids and wife and that would'nt qualify as a mental problem? Nah he was just evil! I thought mental issues (came before/cause) evil.

my 2 cents
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Anonymous Member

You are the one living in fear and S&W will always beat 4 Aces.
  21. Anonymous Member

QFT
  22. Anonymous Member

You don't actually live in the US, right?
    So why worry about Smith & Wesson? (whose stock has dropped sharply of late, BTW)

Elsewhere, Glock is much more respected, preferably in a .45 ACP :)
  23. anonymous612 Member

WhyWeProtest does not condone illegal activity. Do not suggest it.

Also, you're a fucking hypocrite. What, free speech is only acceptable when it agrees with you? Fuck you. Anonymous is not your personal army.

I refer you to "dox or gtfo" rules. There's no evidence he was sick. Therefore to assume he was, without evidence, is tinfoil.

Who the fuck was talking about the WBC? Did the WBC shoot up a school? No. Is this the "WBC protests Newtown funerals" thread? No. What the fuck do they have to do with the subject?
    I stopped reading when you used the word "sheeple" unironically. Thanks for announcing to the rest of us that you're a dumbass. It saves us some time.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. Anonymous Member

6/12
    • Funny Funny x 2
  25. Anonymous Member

Hey now.
    Point being there are NO dox on sanity/evilness yet.

We can talk about WBC.
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  26. Anonymous Member

27. anonymous612 Member

Sanity and evilness are not direct opposites nor mutually exclusive. That's my whole point.
    There's already a thread for that. This is not it.
  28. Missfit Member

I'm so lost.
  29. Anonymous Member

Oooooo frosty
  30. Anonymous Member

So full of fail. And lies. And fail. Damn.
    • Agree Agree x 4
  31. Paroxetine Samurai Moderator

Wow. When I started this thread, I never thought it'd get to [at this time] 15 pages. I am impressed and I'll explain why here:

Coolest: When I started this thread, my hope was to give information to any Connecticut Anons in that area that could be relevant to their lives/family. More or less, my original thought was that when Fox News announced the number of dead, I thought Fox News was, once again, using hyperbole in order to boost their so-called news channel. All I knew at the time before that was the school was in lockdown and that is it. I never thought that one person, let alone 26, died. Sadly, and much to my sorrow, I was wrong and even now I wish that it truly was them making shit up like they normally do.

Now this thread has become a life of it's own. People are here discussing the pros/cons of gun control/banning. People from outside the US are discussing that their home turf has much different rules and lower murder rates. Some are getting into "NO U!" fights.

Am I disappointed? No, I have no reason to be. In fact, I expected it to go this way. I'm more surprised that this thread has stayed upstairs as long as it has and have had this many posts than anything else.

The fact is that this tragedy is horrendous no matter where you live. While it doesn't diminish the losses occurred overseas by combat, the fact remains these kids were not in a war zone nor did they deserve this evil. Some can say "You US idiots deserved this!" but that shows more about the poster's apathy and lack of humanity than civil discourse or facts about this and other tragedies. It doesn't matter if the US's laws were the path to this destruction, nobody deserves this. Period.

I can't speak for every US citizen, but I can tell you that I think every life is precious and that there is absolutely no good reason or justification for what happened in CT or any other place in this world.

So, is this the event that causes the US lawmakers to do something about these guns? Hard to say but it looks like something may happen. While I'm not naive enough to think "Ban Assault Weapons == Stop Mass Shootings", I do strongly think something has to be done. What needs to be done is unclear though because it is not a simple subject and there isn't a one size fits all solution. The only solution I can think of is an intelligent, rational discussion covering all the information from all similar situations and see IF there is a unified source. Fix that and it may fix the situation, perhaps not completely but enough to be effective.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  32. Anonymous Member

Agreed; however:
    If the US weren't so busy minding other people's business and tending to its own, you wouldn't have events like this. Think about it. For more than two seconds.
    • Like Like x 1
  33. iraniam Member

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  34. grebe Member

Yes but think of the failures of psychiatry. If it were truly a successful profession, we'd all be dead by now.
  35. Paroxetine Samurai Moderator

Doesn't take any time to come to the realization you are absolutely right.

However, because of what is known about the shooter, the mother, and how the US governs itself, it is difficult to say whether if the US stopped meddling in the affairs of others that it would have stopped the events of CT completely or not. It might have, it might not have. Sadly, we'll never know because nobody can unring this bell.

What matters now is that people, not necessarily here on WWP, do some soul searching and maybe understand that the life of others comes before any other self want or political standing. I can't give an answer to that because that is up to your own view and thoughts.
  36. Anonymous Member

37. Anonymous Member

Totally^

The trouble with our modern Western society in general is: money matters more than people.
  38. Anonymous Member

Samefag: "Totally^" is referring to PS' post above.
  39. The Wrong Guy Member

NRA breaks silence after shootings, may now offer 'meaningful contributions' - CNN

The National Rifle Association, with roughly 4.3 million members, deactivated its Facebook page, had stopped tweeting on its Twitter account and had been issuing a "no comment" to any media outlet, including CNN, seeking a response. But late Tuesday, the group broke that silence with a statement:

"The National Rifle Association of America is made up of four million moms and dads, sons and daughters -- and we were shocked, saddened and heartbroken by the news of the horrific and senseless murders in Newtown. Out of respect for the families, and as a matter of common decency, we have given time for mourning, prayer and a full investigation of the facts before commenting. The NRA is prepared to offer meaningful contributions to help make sure this never happens again," the group said. It plans to hold "a major news conference" on Friday and both their Facebook and Twitter presences are active again.

<snip>

"What we're likely to see is the NRA being a part of the behind-the-scenes conversation," said Scott Melzer, an associate sociology professor at Albion College in Michigan and author of the book "Gun Crusaders: The NRA's Culture War."

That's because in Washington's halls of power, what takes place behind closed doors often has more impact that what happens in the public eye. And money speaks volumes.

During the 2012 election cycle, the NRA donated $719,596 to candidates. Republicans received $634,146 of that, according to the Center for Responsive Politics' analysis of federal campaign data. For example, House Majority Leader Eric Cantor, R-Virginia, ranked among the top five recipients, having received $7,450 in this cycle.

For the NRA, as with any good lobbying group, "democracy" is about "putting your money where your mouth is," Feldman said.

According to the Sunlight Foundation, a government watchdog group, the NRA spends 66 times more on lobbying than what the Brady Campaign to End Gun violence, the country's top gun control advocacy organization, spends. And the NRA spends 4,143 times what the Brady Campaign spends on campaign contributions, the Sunlight Foundation found.

More at www.cnn.com/2012/12/18/politics/nra-silence-regrouping/index.html
    • Like Like x 1
  40. Anonymous Member

Americans need to wake the fuck up. Their "democracy" is a plutocracy.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.