Customize

"Scientologie : la vérité sur un mensonge" ("Scientology: the truth about a lie")

Discussion in 'Media' started by jensting, May 8, 2010.

1. jensting Member

"Scientologie : la vérité sur un mensonge" ("Scientology: the truth about a lie")

Bonjour!

Just went to a for-friends screening of this documentary. Lots of big cheeses were there. OSA was not outside filming - what's up with that, guys?!?

Blurb from a festival screening here:

Scientologie : la vrit sur un mensonge

While there is a thank-you to Anonymous, I must say I was happy they didn't use the footage they shot of me as A Protester.

This was a good documentary, showing on one hand how members are gradually sucked into the cult and on the other hand neither pulling punches about the bad stuff nor missing the hard-selling and illegal medicine selling going on after(!) the 2009 French trial verdict was in.

We had expert psychologists and psychiatrists who weren't bad. We had several ex-members (Alain Stoffen, showing off his ethics-folder, Maria Pia Cardini, Roger Gonnet, Mylene - Sea Ogre who left two sons in the SO and went to the RPF in copenhagen - and an anonymous ex-member). We had Russell Miller (yay!). We had laywers.

An underlying story was recurring debriefings with a new member. The new member started on his courses, took a bit of time on a basic dianetics course. He did note that the answers required were exactly as from the book, no individualism allowed. He then went on to the purif. And what do you know? The vitamins could be obtained from a place in East Grinstead (turned out to have been manufactured in, wait for it, Clearwater Florida). Not only that, but the levels in the pills were such that hey could not be sold legally in France (such high doses that they would be classified as medicine and require the usual approval process and then only be issued against prescription). The end of the new member's involvement with the Co$ was when he refused to pay 16.000 euros for the course + materials for an auditor's course. They did the full hard sell, phoning him at all hours, trying to corner him, trying to get him to phone his bank to arrange the transfer RIGHT NOW, etc etc. This new member was taking the Purif after the end of the trial in France, i.e. after the clams had reason to try to dress up their illegal selling of medicine level vitamins...

So, no guessing what came next: the lawyer for the plaintiffs from last years' trial giving an interview after the guilty verdicts saying "this verdict is society putting Scientology on notice. We're watching you." Also, of course, the lawyer for the clams saying that this trial had been about old affairs and that Co$ had changed the way it behaved and that the judge had sad that the bookshop could continue to sell books. (For some reason, the lawyer for the clams did not mention selling medicine...)

All in all, an excellent job, connecting the low level criminal behaviour of the entry-level Co$ courses with the gradual elimination of the victims individuality with the isolation from the world with the incessant insistence on more and more money with the trap of being alone in a cult which controls the victim completely and leads to tragic consequences.

Yet another suicide, sadly, of a mother of two (Gloria Lopez). She had been convinced to sell her apartment that she owned, buy courses for the money and take out a mortgage for a flat to live in. She had been unable to achieve any gains in Scientology, and in the end killed herself. From her diaries she must have been in a desperate state, and I seriously doubt that the Co$ did anything, much less the legal minimum required, to get help for her - given what they knew about her (as a member). A criminal complaint has been made.

Most of the ex-members shows were stated to have made criminal complaints, Alain Stoffen's the oldest, the most recent the suicide case from 2008.

The German film "Until nothing remains" was a ratings hit. I hope this one does well :)

Best regards

Jens

PS People in the know indicate France 2 on May 27th as broadcast date. You will want to tape this. Subtitles will be much sought after
  2. mojo Member

Re: "Scientologie : la vérité sur un mensonge" ("Scientology: the truth about a lie")

thanks for posting, Jens. ETA - i notice the participation of France Television with this doc. is it likely to be on French TV??
  3. jensting Member

Re: "Scientologie : la vérité sur un mensonge" ("Scientology: the truth about a lie")

I don't know exactly when and where it will be shown. The end of the month was mentioned, but nothing more precise.

Best regards

Jens
  4. Ann O'Nymous Member

Sounds very good.
  5. Anonymous Member

Sounds very interesting. Hope you guys will pls do a subtitled version for the rest of the world...
  6. genoramix Member

sounds promising...waiting impatiently for the broadcast...
  7. AnonLover Member

wow! this sounds fantastic! Viva la france!!!

complaint filed in Paris, or some other jurisdiction?
  8. ZORRO Member

it will be showed at 10 pm end of evening thursday MAY 27TH
    good airing and we will watch about the audience and the rating
    we will work on the translation
    may the farce be with you
    zip zip zip hooray !!
  9. Moaty Member

Could Jens or someone please upload this? I'm in England. I would like to watch this.
  10. N. Ron Rubber Member

The movie was projected at the Montreal World Film Festival.

Favorable review in moonspeak:Rue Frontenac - FFM
  11. Sponge Member

Boston Phoenix reports...

Dispatches from the 34th Montreal World Film Festival
    6th Sept 2010
    Dispatches from the 34th Montreal World Film Festival - Outside The Frame

Foreigners, stop being so forgeign! derp.
  12. firebug Member

This documentary will have its American premiere as part of the DC international film festival

http://filmfestdc.org/pr20110218.pdf
    APRIL 7 – 17, 2011