Customize

Scientologists and conspiracy theories

Discussion in 'News and Current Events' started by TheHumansAreDead, May 2, 2011.

1. If ESMB is anything to go by, a lot of ex-Scientologists seem to be into conspiracy theories.

Clearly Hubbard himself had a fondness for conspiracy theories involving aliens, psychiatrists, Rockerfellers and the World Bank. A decent number of exes who seem otherwise free of it still seem to cling to some of these notions while adopting a number of recent flavour-of-the-month conspiracy theories.

Is this just because they have been trained to believe six improbable things before breakfast on a regular basis?
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Mark Cabian Member

I have seen threads like that here.
  3. Fair point, though the established convention of relying on documents makes it harder for them to gain traction, I think (or at least hope).
  4. adhocrat Member

We're all the Red Queen here. Believing six impossible things before breakfast is simply a warm up for the afternoon. From noon until four we believe fifty impossible things and from four until late we wring our hands and cry.
    Then the cycle starts up all over again.
  5. Mark Cabian Member

ESMB isn't focused on activism, and they enjoy all kinds of random chit chat. So I think it just lends itself to threads like that. People hang out there for years and get to know one-another. They talk about their pets and all kinds of things we don't do here.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. CarterUSP Member

I guess there has to be some kind of conspiracy.
    They've been part of a 'religion' that claims to have workable technology with standardly observable results. When their clears still get colds, their OTs still wear glasses and have no supah powahs, the ethics tech isn't handling PCs who are PTS, the study tech makes imperfect students... either they have to give up, or blame it on some uber suppressive group, whether that be the psyches, Marcabians, Miscabbage, the NWO or whatever.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Anonymous Member

Well the kind of person who would be into cults would be into conspiracy theories. They are usually depressed or maybe even a bit mentally ill, and desperately look for something to be a part of that would make them feel important or special, like they have access to secret knowledge or are in some group thats going to save the world.
    • Like Like x 3
  8. Smurf Member

Undoing years of consistent mind fucking by the cult takes time with ex-members; some longer than others. Many ex-Scilons on ESMB still believe in LRH's tech, whether on a pick-and-choose basis or they accept the whole ball of crap. It's sad given the extensive facts about the fraud named L. Ron Hubbard and how he created dianetics and everything that came after.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Anonymous Member

Wow. All kinds of people have tried the cult. When I was a kid, someone paid for the comm course, and I tried it. And no, I did not fall into the category you vividly stated.
  10. CarterUSP Member

True - it takes time.
    Maybe these conspiracy theories are the methadone fix to these mindshizzle junkies.
  11. Optimisticate Member

Anyone so easily manipulated as to be sucked into a cult is also going to be susceptible to conspiracy theories. Conspiracy theorists use the same manner LRH did when trying to impose his "logic" upon the masses. It's easy to believe at first, but at the first sense of BS many of us use to flee, cult members and others under the spell of a narcissist succumb to it.

I can totally see why they're that way.
    • Like Like x 2
  12. It's not just the exScienos either. I saw and heard enough of that during my years at the Org. Usually it was the long time Scientologists that were guilty of that. Everything from way out opinions about the oil shortage, global warming, to a brain drain where all the brightest people were sent to secret bases on the moon; I heard all this from hanging around at the Org. At times, being at the Org was like being in a mental hospital.

It makes me wonder which came first for these people; Scientology or the predispostion to latch on to conspiracy theories.
    • Like Like x 2
  13. over9000OT Member

I like to put my Guy Fawkes mask on my dog before she shits. There, now we can talk about our pets on WWP.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. I guessed that a similar tendency existed among current Scientologists but have less experience talking them them. :)
  15. Anonymous Member

It's so weird and moonbattish to think for even half a second that 2 or more people would work together to commit some act that is detrimental to another/others.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Anonymous Member

That's probably been posted there already.
  17. Optimisticate Member

OMG we can has no faggot cat and dog threads nao?

Only exceptions: Anonypussies and Anonymutts!

/r/ dome
  18. vaLLarrr Member

What is true is poo for you.
    • Like Like x 2
  19. Enturbulette Member

People who understand the workings of Scientology are not innocents. They know that things are often not as they appear. You don't have to be a former cult member, just someone who researches and ponders, and never accepts anything at face value.
  20. BLiP Member

Given L Ron Hubbard's incessant attacks on anything official or remotely concerned with the provision of evidence, social services, proof-of-concept, etc., it doesn't actually surprise me that the Exes are prone to conspiracy theories. Every cult needs it enemies and Scientology has a bunch of them. The idea that there's some secret cabal ruling the world and keeping us all prisoners on this mud ball planet also helps explain why the tech doesn't work - although this is less a factor among exes than actual Scilons.
    • Like Like x 1
  21. adhocrat Member

there are an awful lot of people who've never been scilons who have some pretty weird ideas about the world, including thee and me and all we see. Remember, the only normal people are people you don't know very well.
    • Like Like x 2
  22. Anonymous Member

23. JohnnyRUClear Member

Well, they would say that. Dirty Psychs!!

Conspiracy theories are interesting to me because sometimes they turn out to be true, and the ones which turn out to be hooey sometimes turn out to instead be smoke screens from the same folks guilty of the real conspiracies.

Then there are the ones which are simply inventions of fevered imaginations.

The trick is categorizing each one correctly. A lazy mind will dismiss them all, or believe them all. We have the word "conspiracy" because sometimes people conspire and we wanted a word to refer to such an occurrence. We have the word "theory" because sometimes we have to guess at something. Guesses are sometimes right and sometimes wrong. Put those simple facts together and voila.
    • Like Like x 1
  24. Anonymous Member

Obama was just a psych diversion so they could continue their terrorism.
  25. Anonymous Member

You mean like a boogie woogie man?
    • Like Like x 1
  26. Anonymous Member

fify
  27. Anonymous Member

Why would you want to put a mask on your wife before she shits?
  28. over9000OT Member

This post brought to you by AnonShaw/Nick_Nolte/Gary Busey.

Also, joke's on you... no one would be dumb enough to marry me.
    • Like Like x 1
  29. Triumph Member

the NOI trumps the COS in Conspiracy theories
    the floods in Katrina/NO were caused by the Govt blowing up the Levees
    Aids was spread in Africa through immunization programs by Jews
    the Earthquakes in Haiti were man made using HAARP
    Jews were behind 9/11
    the uprisings in the middle east are CIA operations
    everything is a Cointelpro govt operation

DM and LF can compare notes....
    • Like Like x 2
  30. DeathHamster Member

Scientology sticks a big nail into the skulls of the programmed: The "stable datum" that SCIENTOLOGY ALWAYS WORKS. Since Scientology doesn't always work, they have to come up with reasons and explanations of why this happens, getting more and more elaborately moonbat.

When they try to compare theories to see what makes sense to them:

(Scientology doesn't always work) (Alien psychiatrist bankers are using HAARP rays against Scientologists and to sap and impurify our bodily essences!)

The first gets tossed out as impossible (due to the nail), so the second must be true, no matter how crazy.
    • Like Like x 5
  31. Anonymous Member

Don't pay any attention to this SP.

SCIENTOLOGY ALWAYS WORKS.
  32. Anonymous Member

DOX or GTFO
    • Like Like x 1
  33. Anonymous Member