Customize

Scientology’s Toronto headquarters on Yonge Street

Discussion in 'Media' started by The Wrong Guy, Jan 29, 2013.

1. DeathHamster Member

Dunno. They definitely shouldn't be getting that 50% property tax discount while the building isn't being used for "religious purposes".
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Here's an idea: poon city counsellors to require buildings along the World Pride Day parade route to not be eye-sores and / or potential hazards by the time the festival starts.

That event is a big financial boost for the city and hundreds of people will be outside that org during the parade. In its current state it is potentially dangerous.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. RightOn Member

likey
  4. RightOn Member

zactly
  5. TorontosRoot Member

Maybe the city should condemn it as a safety issue? Then some demolision company can take it down and build a condo in it's place? It certainly isn't a historical building by any means and does have structural issues, ie. Bent wall facing coffee joint.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. DeathHamster Member

Hey! Country Style across the street is proposed for demolition!
    Too bad the comments are closed. I wanted to say that there was no "massive renovation" happening at 696 Yonge.
  7. TorontosRoot Member

Ahhh shikes! Isn't that office building in better shape than the morgue that's across the street?
    • Like Like x 1
  8. BlooAnon Member

9. TorontosRoot Member

Wonder if there will be an anon music video in front of it since nobody uses it... Ever. It makes a nice prop too.
  10. DeathHamster Member

CCHR Canada used to have a dummy address at 27 Carlton St, Suite 304, while continuing to operate out of the Org. Now they claim to have a place here:

3545 Lakeshore Boulevard West
    Etobicoke, Ontario Canada
    M8W 1P4
    416-503-8555

View attachment 330a55_33a03ee1499951224a33fca3818842ea.jpg_srz_p_
    Code:
    http://www.cchrcanada.org
    Streetview before they moved in:
    CCHR.jpg

I wonder if they only have the storefront or the whole building?
    • Like Like x 2
  11. BlooAnon Member

That building's too cute and nice looking for CCHR.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. TorontosRoot Member

Gives me a chance to do some recon... haven't done that in years. :)
    • Like Like x 3
  13. Anonymous Member

Please! Do eeeet!!!
    • Like Like x 1
  14. BlooAnon Member

We'll me waiting. :D
  15. wolfbane Member

• Like Like x 1
  16. DeathHamster Member

• Like Like x 1
  17. wolfbane Member

Heh. But in all fairness, if you go back thru the recent posts on that blog "sucks2beotvii" did a tour of several orgs in the general regional area in a short period of time at the end of February. And lots of good observations were recorded and pics taken. So in light of all the good info they gathered, surely some slack is deserved on a minor math fail at one of the several locations s/he hit.
  18. TorontosRoot Member

Interesting. The cult only has one floor. But I saw them on the second floor before during protests with WisemanOfTheWatchtower (adam) and a few others that attended.
  19. DeathHamster Member

Didn't the building only have one other tenant besides CoS?

If they ever give up on 696 Yonge, I expect Plan B will be to take some of the fuckton of cash for selling 696 Yonge, buy 77 Peter St and refurbish it. (The rest goes to Davie's piggy bank, or maybe the CSHO in Mono.)
  20. TorontosRoot Member

What if the property got even more damaged (hit by a few more drunk drivers, trucks?) or collapsed all on it's own? Would it be valuable then? Lol (so many things) what about the building neighbouring it across the street? It could easily collapse the wrong way if they were to demolish it and an error occurred. *CRUSH!!*
  21. wolfbane Member

I don't know how Canada works, but here in the US it is common for cities to have certain anti-blight laws, that discourage property owners from letting their building get into that sorry-assed state and reward them for eliminating eye-sores.

These vary in different cities/state, but in my area there has been a lot buzz lately about a proposed change to the the anti-blight ordinance that will make it very advantageous to a commercial property owner to demolish the structure before they try to sell it. End result being they get multiple tax breaks that more than offset the cost of demolition plus makes the property more easy to sell.
    • Like Like x 1
  22. TorontosRoot Member

Gosh I hope that NEVER happens in toronto.
  23. DeathHamster Member

The building has a negative value. It's the land that it's on that's worth many millions to developers who'll tear it down and put up a condo or premium mixed-use property on the spot.
    • Like Like x 2
  24. I suspect even a parking lot would be more valuable than the current building.
    • Like Like x 1
  25. TorontosRoot Member

I could see condos or a multi-level square mall being put in it's place, or housing for the homeless.
  26. DeathHamster Member

No change, except that with the swing of the seasons, it's now possible to take pictures before sundown. These are the best possible angles for an ugly building.

TorOrggy%20003sml.jpg

TorOrggy%20004sml.jpg

So nice the way all the windows are taped. You also might notice the big-ass condo tower behind it that dwarfs it.
    • Like Like x 3
  27. TorontosRoot Member

That big condo. Lol.

Scientology has all but abandoned that building.
  28. HellRazor Member

I think that might be a residential building.
    • Like Like x 1
  29. TorontosRoot Member

Doh! Forgot to do recon. Gahh. XD
  30. BlooAnon Member

Look at that apartment building right next to the CoS wreck. Imagine being that close to them on your balcony? Do not want.

Would be a good spy location at the very least. Any anons need a condo in TO? :p
    • Like Like x 1
  31. TorontosRoot Member

If I lived in that condo, throwing ice into the windows would be epic lulz. Then it melts. Yellow colored ice would make it look like piss and it would cause more sea morgues to leave fast!
    • Like Like x 1
  32. DeathHamster Member

They do leave one light on inside at the org entrance. The plywood and the blackout paint doesn't quite hide it. As for noticing what wasn't there, no street resident had taken up habitation in that somewhat sheltered entrance area. I wonder why not?
    • Like Like x 1
  33. RightOn Member

I have seen this behemoth up close. It's a dump. I remember the sad and sick feeling I got looking up at the windows.
    Looks like things are the same.
    Wonder why the Duggans aren't helping out this org? Only South Africa I guess? Too cold in Canada for too long? :confused:
    • Like Like x 2
  34. Rod Keller Member

It's an interesting problem they have, because this is (maybe) going to be an Ideal Org. Before it was a CLO, but they're moving the CLO (maybe) to Glen Cross at the new ASHOCAN.
  35. DeathHamster Member

They moved the CLO out years ago to their (former?) property on Kennedy Rd near Orangeville, and (unconfirmed) from there to the ASHO location at the former Hockley Highlands Inn and Conference Centre in Mono Ontario. According to Adam Holland, CLO used to be 80ish Sea Org, but I suspect that it's less now. I do wonder where those Sea Org are from, and if they have valid visas if from outside of Canada.
    • Like Like x 1
  36. Anonymous Member

I do believe there was an Ideal Org plan:

toronto_fail_org.jpg
    • Like Like x 3
  37. Rod Keller Member

Sweet. Now I have 5 locations for the "Toronto Org." Former location on Prince Arthur, former location on Avenue Road, current temporary location on Blue Jay Way, former and future (but not current) location on Yonge, and a possible current CLO in Orangeville.
    • Like Like x 2
  38. Rod Keller Member

So there has to be a berthing in Orangeville. I wonder where it is. I'm guessing berths for 60 people, so that's 15 rooms. An old apartment building perhaps, they are usually fenced.
    • Like Like x 1
  39. DeathHamster Member

The temporary location is 77 Peter St. Blue Jays Way is south of King St.
  40. Rod Keller Member

Plus Riverdale, Malvern and East Toronto Missions and a handful of schools.