Customize

Scientology Advertising

Discussion in 'Projects' started by Mikee, Sep 18, 2013.

1. Mikee Member

Scientology seems to be advertising in major US cities quite heavily.

At the same time, their domains tend to be hyphenated by city.

My city's URL is WARNING SCIENTOLOGY LINK- scientology-buffalo.org.

Obviously the more likely visited domain would be www.scientologybuffalo.org. I discovered it was available, and I promptly registered. (excuse the thrown-together embarrassment of a site, it's only a few hours old)

Now modifying the URL on advertisements throughout the city could be accomplished with duct tape. (just covering up the hyphen) or even better, stickers that cover the actual URL with the new one.

Is this something that could be accomplished nationwide? Would there be any interest in it?

I've tried to gather the general feel of this system as much as possible before posting, but this is my first post, so if I've done something wrong or incorrectly, please direct me.
    • Like Like x 5
  2. Anonymous Member

Good on you, Mikee. Very amusing.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Mikee Member

I think so. It won't accomplish all that much, but if it saves a single person a year... that whole eleven dollars is going to a good cause.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. failboat Member

You're doing great and should be proud of your first project. It's better than most first time posts.

The one thing I would mention is that Church of Scientology websites often capture IP addresses, so we tend to put a big bold red warning next to a link to any Church of Scientology website in posts we make here on WWP forum. This reminds wary people to take precautions, like using a proxy, before visiting.
    Like this:

WARNING SCIENTOLOGY LINK - scientology-buffalo.org/
  5. Mikee Member

Oh, well that's good to know, but a little late for me I suppose.

\= I downloaded their entire website, as my first thought was to replicate it and replace all links with http://www.xenu.net. I'm sure if they have any logging software, that would have thrown up some flags.

I ended up not doing it, in fear of them suing for intellectual property and whatnot.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Anonymous Member

Good idea, they are big on that sort of thing. Welcome Mikee and good on you for your first project! Well done indeed!
    • Like Like x 1