Customize

Scientology and Antipsychiatry

Discussion in 'News and Current Events' started by zenu, Dec 20, 2008.

1. TheBitch Member

Re: Scientology and Antipsychiatry

OSA can you see, my eyes, if you can - then, my hair's too short!

Hair460.jpg

Oh, and FIGHT $cilontololligy too!
  2. XenuLovesU Member

^--- and what OSA would say about OSA about OSA
  3. Anonynamefag Member

THAT'S WHAT OSA WOULD ACCUSE SOMEONE OF SAYING ABOUT OSA
  4. none given Member

Read the tags on this thread.
  5. TheBitch Member

Read'em? Shit! I wrote two of the lulziest ones AND predicted the future.

[IMG]
  6. Anonynamefag Member

KFCRiot1.jpg.gif
    THE LEADER OF ANONYMOUS IS IN THIS PIC
    GO GET 'EM, OSA
  7. XenuLovesU Member

Not a one of you can disprove that the NWO has taken over this thread. Nor that aliens are sending their orders to the NWO through Freemasons... nor that alien Freemasons take their orders from 33rd degree Freemasons who were born and raised in the Van Allen Belt. So shut the fuck up.

What are the odds that one, ONE human finally realized this shit? Sure, the odds are huge, which should only count towards validating the miracle. Someone finally "cognated" the reality. Of course, if it was a huge secret, the odds of anyone else doing the same are *infinitesimal*. That only supports the argument, right?
  8. Anonynamefag Member

OH, EXPLOITABLE
  9. none given Member

Elvis can disprove it.
  10. none given Member

I miss zenu already.

It's like the rat moved out of my cell.
  11. XenuLovesU Member

It was fun while it lasted. Crawling back under my rock now.
  12. Evil Zoe Member

I thought for sure people would just be posting image spam and spouting memes by now instead of wasting actual words.....lol

Well DONE!
  13. none given Member

Cnl. Sanders?
  14. TheBitch Member

Here was the post which set the hook that landed the whale.

http://forums.whyweprotest.net/291-...ientology-antipsychiatry-34249/21/#post660895

Well done.
  15. 13Heathens Member

I get so tired of putting up with that sort of drivel. There is indeed a legitimacy within the anti-psyche movement. There in indeed reform needed within the industry, however you come here referencing the same sort of BS propaganda that CCHR (a scientology front group) has been pushing for years.

.. or in other words. Congratulations. You've fallen for the Scientology anti-psyche party line. It's amazing what a person can learn through real research instead of adopting the stance of another.
  16. XenuLovesU Member

You are so OSA for quoting yourself. Clearly, I am the agent provocateur. How dare you insist you be untrustworthy. *I* am untrustworthy. Your claim to untrustworthiness just makes me all the more trustworthy.

Nice try, OSA.
  17. Anonynamefag Member

All the conspiracy theories here, not one mention of ZOG.

WTF ANONYMOUS! I'M QUITTING CHANOLOGY 4EVAR
  18. TheBitch Member

Heh, that's right OSA! Actually, check the ling.. I quoted u. OSA OSA OSA!!! They stole my husb...?

Oh wait, no... that was August.
  19. Buttons Member

XenuLovesU-
    Well done.

Let's hope that he is gone.

It was like watching a train wreck.
  20. XenuLovesU Member

[stops stopwatch]

You're kinda late. No?
  21. anonygronph Member

There was one mention of ZOG.
  22. XenuLovesU Member

Annnnnd... bowing out of this (fun but useless) thread.
  23. anongurl7 Member

This^^^

Zenu is one confused and brainwashed Scilon... that says he isn't a scilon because he doesn't want to be ridiculed by us evil SP's about Scientology. He comes to the biggest anti-scientology site on the net. Does he write his congressman, or write on psych forums? No, he comes to this and says it's because of his own research with us showing up in the search result... I call bullshit.

Sigh... reminds me so much of xemutv on youtube. Same style of crap. This guy is completely enslaved and he doesn't even know it.

Zenu just come out of the closet already with your scilon shenanigans, may the truth set you free.
  24. King Nerd Member

The fact his/her nick is spelled "Z-E-N-U" should have been a big tip-off before even reading the OP.

Quick! Someone spam OTIII in this thread!
  25. Anonynamefag Member

fix'd
  26. anongurl7 Member

hahahaha I'm sending him operating satan level 8 with the "you mocked up all your past lives" quote. When the sea orgy lets him get to ot8 in about 9000 years he's gunna be pissed to see the dox weren't a lie.'

oh and delicious suace http://www.scientomogy.com/ot8/
  27. none given Member

well done gurl.

srs.
  28. Re: Scientology and Antipsychiatry

Message of support for Zenu: This is, as you know, a forum for protesters against the $cilons, so, for many here, it is a distraction from the main thrust to focus on the debate you initiated - that is the most likely reason your arguments are being dismissed in summary fashion without much real debate, on a subject that is far more complex than anyone could address adequately here.

That does not condone the bad behaviour of those who choose to mock you, etc. It is usually a good sign of the weakness of one's argument when one resorts to insults and ad hominem attacks.

I don't know, but I think you are sincere and not a $cilon, by the way you express yourself - not that it matters much as regards the debate. It just so happens that I share some of your beliefs, and have done since long before I ever heard of $cientology, or indeed Tomas Szasz. I have probably been anti-$cilon longer than the majority on this forum, too. I have also followed medical and scientific research into mental illness for many years, while not being myself a scientist. I have the greatest respect for the scientific method, as the best way of understanding/exploring the subject.

Having said that, medicine is a quite distinct discipline from pure science, and has often, of necessity, to work with very imperfect/incomplete scientific models of illness, some of which lead to treatments that are of extremely dubious benefit to patients. You quite rightly pointed out the 'homosexuality as illness' issue as a case where the scientific/medical model seemed to get things totally wrong for some time, in a way that adversely affected many people's lives.

That example demonstrates that we should not place too much blind faith in the scientific 'pureness' of medical models, and is a cautionary note lest we become too dogmatic about these issues. (No true scientist would ever do such a thing, or wouldn't have a long career if s/he did).

Yes, there is still a great deal of debate to be had about the ongoing struggle to understand 'mental illness', and a part of that debate is, quite rightly, outside the realm of medicine or neurological science.

We should never lose sight of how little we understand about the causes of many conditions, or just how imperfect our models of these actually are. Remember, too, that Szasz's basic objection was that, since the Mind (as opposed to the brain) is not a physical thing, it cannot properly be the subject of *any medical model of illness.

'Mental illness' is a primitive, unhelpful term, therefore, that ought to be discarded by rational people.
  29. Zak McKracken Member

'Twas two nights before Christmas, and all through the MEST
    PTSes were squirreling, on whywheprotest
    And socks with their puppets and mods with b&hammers
    Were just settling down for a Thursday stat-slammer

happy xtaturday <3
  30. xenuwasframed Member

dox or GTFO
  31. kitfisto Member

This is a waste of time . Dome this shit and lets get back to work .
  32. Re: Scientology and Antipsychiatry

xenuwasframed, the sentence you highlighted is clearly my personal opinion about what rational people ought to do about the term 'mental illness'.

It follows from the paragraph above, which in turn comes from the book quoted by the OP. Do you think a link to a website with Szasz's exact words might help? Would that qualify as Dox?
    Most mainstream scientists wouldn't object to dropping the term, for the reasons I gave. Unfortunately, such terms take longer to disappear from non-scientific discussions among lay people, just as 'madness', 'lunacy', etc still linger on in our vocabulary.

'Most international clinical documents use the term "mental disorder" rather than "mental illness"' - Wikipedia. There is a very good reason for this change in terminology - it is precisely the problem highlighted by Szasz et al. Such outdated and largely discredited terminology pervades every aspect of popular debate on this subject, unfortunately.

The question of what specific 'mental disorders' are is also one that is not, and cannot be, purely scientific, since we currently lack the tools to demonstrate the validity of the various hypotheses, and may never acquire them (eg, where they might place patients at unacceptable risk). That leaves us all in a position of arguing about such things with less than scientific 'certainty'. That is not as unusual a situation for medical professionals as one might think, especially when most diagnoses of mental disorder are based upon observations of behaviour, which will always be a matter of interpretation rather than of pure science.

It is a matter of record that we do not know the causes of most mental disorders, and despite all the huffing and puffing and throwing of insults, that remains the case. Doctors are left, then, to control and manage psychiatric symptoms, with varying degrees of success.

As acknowledged earlier, this forum is probably not the place to debate the issues, and so it is not worth the effort of providing voluminous supporting evidence here. It is very worthwhile, however, to defend a person against 'groupthink', at least so far as to say, 'You're not alone. You're not crazy to think such things', when that is what you yourself believe.

From my perspective, there is no link between 'anti-psychiatry' and the $cilons. The latter have *absolutely nothing worthwhile to offer, and there are many people who abhor the fascistic cult who nevertheless adopt a sceptical stance towards psychiatry. In my book that is a very good thing - IMHO, without such criticism, psychiatry (and the people it seeks to serve) would be much worse off. The difference is, the scientific community and psychiatry welcome criticism - at least sometimes - the $cilons can't.
  33. auchraw Member

Second that.
  34. anongurl7 Member

RANT MODE ON

Listen, anonymous is not your friend and anonymous doesn't really care. If you spend your whole life with these causes and do it in the wrong way you become paranoid, alone, and constantly fighting.

This is the joke that is these scilons coming on youtube, IRC, and our forums trying to spread the word of xenu... it won't make any difference.

Religions catch on because they solve a problem that the best and brightest of the day are facing... prove me wrong. The cult of Scientology is the result of a butthurt madman who was so critical of college/psychiatry/science that he threw it all out and made his own. There are no esteemed scientists, psychiatrists, and professors that latch on to Hubbard because they themselves have confronted the problems Hubbard chose not to confront out of his own hubris and laziness. Hubbard was the most arrogant wannabe scientist in recorded history... prove me wrong.

What makes anonymous, particularly chanology, different is we have rules and lulz. That's not to say we don't have problems and are right all the time. But as a collective we work better than any other protest group you can name. And right now were fighting scientology because we see that it literally ruins lives.

If psychiatry would have done a better job of figuring out who had illness, Scientology would not be a tax exempt organization right now.

So in ending, we are not here to change the whole world. If you think you're here to do that I feel sorry for you. But we can influence the world, and if you do it the right way, congratulations you aren't a madman, you're a good person.

So GTFO my internet war because our target is COS and not here to reform psychiatry which has its problems just like any other group of people... cuz if you didnt get the memo yet... homo sapien isn't perfect.
  35. An0nand0n Member

GUIS I THINK WE NEED TO LET ZENU INTO TEH BIG SEKRIT!!!1!!11!!eleven

Anonymous_flowchart_lar.gif

It's called the clear cognition (you mocked up your own reactive mind) and the OT VIII cognition (you mocked up your own past lives)
  36. Joda Member

Don't lol. This anti-science bullshit is in no way different in its argumentative structure than the creationist "science". The same one-perspective "scientific" articles (which are not peer reviewed), bad argumentation and, in zenu's case, terrible grammar.

Don't worry. I know the scientific method, and even though I know little to nothing about psychiatry and psychology, this method is more than adequate to "side" with the science and utterly dismiss $cientology and any other STATIC alternative as a mere money/power machine.
  37. shadowchaser Member

They welcome meaningful criticism. Claiming mental disorders are a myth and it's all the NWO's doing as a conrol mechanism is about as far from meaningful as you can get.
  38. nonnonanon Member

A few people have pretty much made this point in this thread. I agree. It's problematic. Most here are not insulting anybody for giving valid opinions. They are insulting a poster for: dogmatically sticking to an ill-explained set of taglines; debating with a series of ad hominem attacks and appeals to emotion; ignoring comments rather than, as you have done, accounting for them in the discussion; introducing a whole lot of irrelevant junk, and so on.

Agreed.

You're not crazy to think such things, but it is fairly clearly a waste of time to walk into a room full of rationalists armed with very few resources or clear points and spend 25 pages failing to make yourself understood. When the Great Conspiracies and 9/11 and the Illuminati crawl out of the woodwork it is clear that the debate is not as focused as it could be.

I suspect that most of the people here, including those who have disagreed strongly with our troll, have a sceptical stance towards most everything, including psychiatry and the tooth fairy.
  39. Re: Scientology and Antipsychiatry

40. anongurl7 Member

im bowing out, lurk moar