Customize

Scientology Belfast Mission Closed?

Discussion in 'News and Current Events' started by HOC, Feb 10, 2013.

1. HOC Member

I have been hearing a few reports today that the Belfast Scientology Mission in Northern Ireland has closed. /r/ dox on this please.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. RightOn Member

interest peaked
  3. Anonymous Member

Dunno what happened really, but the Belfast ED Michael O'Donnell has spent at least the last 6 months on staff in Dublin, Div 1 or 9.
  4. Ogsonofgroo Member

A schniff of a win in the air? Dunno, where are the IreAnons?
  5. Anonymous Member

• Like Like x 3
  6. Anonymous Member

Not unusual for missions close over the years. Happens all the time. It's ORGS that are never supposed to close.

@ HOC, if you want a list of missions from a few years ago to compare with extant missions today, PM me with disposable email address that I can email you excel spreadsheet. You have "mod eyes" so you can see this sock.
  7. fishypants Moderator

Eye drops can help with that.

[IMG]
  8. Malory Member

Um, being lazy and missing this thread.

Back at the start of October we heard a bit of local gossip that one of the Scis in charge had dropped dead from a heart attack around the end of August, start of September. The mission was operating rent free out of the premises of a building company so if the man had anything to do with that, it would been a big problem.

I'll try and get to Belfast in the next couple of weeks to confirm one way or another. but it's not looking good for the cult in Northern Ireland.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. RolandRB Member

Missions come and go. That a mission comes into being means the cult ripped off a couple (usually) of scientologists for tens of thousands. The quicker they close - the quicker the cult can con another couple into handing over a new lot of tens of thousands. The only mission in the UK that matters is the (Bournemouth and) Poole mission.
  10. Malory Member

I beg to disagree Roland. Northern Ireland isn't the UK mainland and my view is that Scientology thought it might gain a foothold here by exploiting a generation of young people who no longer held to the old tribalism or felt that the religion they were born into was an important part of their social and cultural identity. On a practical level, the reason no mission ever tried here before is because it would have been burned out or put out at gunpoint.

I'll be happy once I can confirm it's gone because it reduces the chance of some sucker walking in the door and handing over money. I doubt anyone would try again because the whole enterprise failed so hard.
    • Like Like x 3
  11. RolandRB Member

If "Scientology thought it might gain a foothold" there then they would have openened an Org or at minimum a City Office in Belfast. They have done neither. A "mission" is a private venture - a franchise holder - and is done by individuals and not "the Church".
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Anonymous Member

Apart from the Ideal Org push, when was the last time a brand new Org opened? Buenos Aires in 1994?
  13. RolandRB Member

There would be too much dangerous information floating around in people's ethics folders to have an official Org in Belfast.

"Oi juss blew meeself oop a poob full of Proddies" type stuff that people would want to get hold of and make use of.
  14. Anonymous Member

Technically, yes, but the Mission Holder was John Keane from Limerick, the first ED was Willie Duffy who came from Japan to run he place, and the second (and most recent) ED was Michael O'Donnell was on staff in Birmingham before taking over in Belfast. So there's more going on than some local public being regged to buy a Mission Starter pack.
    • Like Like x 2
  15. RolandRB Member

^^ Who is the C/S and auditors there? They will have folders full of information about who has taken part in the troubles in Belfast. Or just torture it out of them. Let the fun begin!
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Anonymous Member

All held from above, most likely.
  17. Malory Member

Yeah but why should wee Davey risk money and possible loss of face when it's easier to get some sucker to front a Mission and test the water?

Post of the week :D
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Tbh I think most people here are too busy with the Nationalist/Loyalist friction to be bothered with a thing like Scientology xP

"Aye thanks 'n' all mate but I'm a wee bit busy at the moment with this fake bomb to care about yer church!"
  19. Well.....
    There was an active Scientology group in lurgan from the mid 1950s. I kid you not !! They were linked to people in Germany and Scotland. They did attend the Belfast group too in the ‘90s. Not sure what happened but the lurgan Scientologists all died of old age. That group met for decades.