Customize

Scientology books in public libraries and quack doctors

Discussion in 'News and Current Events' started by Green, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Green Member

Scientology books in public libraries and quack doctors

Out of curiosity I was wondering how many people have found Scientology texts in their local libraries or have been doing research outside of the tubes. I took a quick search of my university's library (thanks to the Library of Congress call numbers they were on the same shelf as books about cults) and found a few books. They were all donated by this man http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/JeremyPerkins/Maulfair/. It scares me a little bit considering he's an actual, practicing doctor and Pennsylvania isn't really a state known for Scientologists despite being the home of two churches. It's also frightening to think that there could be medical doctors out there who oppose the proper therapy for certain illnesses.

For example:
    In any case I took the books out and besides being lulzy one of the worst part in the book "What is Scientology?" was a question about the disconnection policy. It's one thing to read things posted on the Internet about fair game and disconnection but to read about it in a book that's meant to bring people into Scientology was deeply bothersome.

I know there's nothing new here so you can bury the thread if you want, just wanted to share.
  2. ZOOMzoom Member

Re: Scientology books in public libraries

Just a note about these books - try not to check them out at all. Books that are never checked out of the library (i.e.: never read) are not considered to be worth keeping in the library...
  3. Green Member

Re: Scientology books in public libraries and quack doctors

The books I got have all been checked out quite a few times in recent years unfortunately.
  4. KagedAnon Member

hide them somewhere in the library that nobody would ever find them.
    For example, behind the shelves of encyclopedias most libraries have... or dark corners.
  5. ZOOMzoom Member

Yeah, most of the time they're checked out by Scientologists themselves to keep the libraries from tossing them.
  6. anonymal Member

I flipped through my library's copy of 'Dianetics' (while I was checking out 'Cults in our Midsts'). The dust cover looked well handled, but the pages were pristine - I doubt anyone has actually read that copy, though it may be frequently checked out to keep it in circulation.
  7. Green Member

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/JeremyPerkins/

Crap, I didn't realize that this guy was the doctor responsible for this. Creepy small world, I feel like these books have blood on them.

As for Dianetics I think most people who start reading it give up within the first few pages. I read it a few years ago to make fun of it with my Psychology major roommate, it's not easy to keep reading or keep your temper while you do.
  8. pokeanon Member

PLEASE NO!

Stick to your principles! Free speech, freedom of information and free inquiry mean that everything is available to everyone. This is exactly why launching DDOS attacks is hypocritical. WWWBMD: What Would Wise Beard Man Do?
  9. AnonSoul Member

A nice "youfoundthecard" bookmark would be thoughtful though!
  10. Re: Scientology books in public libraries and quack doctors

I actually checked my local library and there were two of Hubbard's books. They were paperback, and I think they were only opened for the library stamp, the covers weren't bent at all. On of my friends works at the college library, and they had recently been sent a shipment of Scientology books by the publisher. The librarians refused to put them in circulation .

:roll:

Gotta love small towns.
  11. Dubber Member

... which is why people should go to their local library, find Scientology books (Dianetics and Way to Happiness, especially) and put leaflets in them. (Be careful with URLs, they could go dead before anyone checks the book out)