Customize

Scientology critic Mark Bunker announces run for Clearwater City Council

Discussion in 'News and Current Events' started by CommunicatorIC, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Disambiguation Global Moderator

• Like Like x 1
  2. PainterofLite Member

3. The Wrong Guy Member

4. Mike Rinder has a post by Mark Bunker:

Mark Bunker for Clearwater City Council

https://www.mikerindersblog.org/mark-bunker-for-clearwater-city-council/

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

HELP WANTED

The Clearwater City Council campaign season officially starts on September 19th! In advance of the 19th, there are two things we’d like some help with.
    We are still looking to nail down someone to be the CAMPAIGN MANAGER who has previous experience running a campaign. This is a PAID POSITION.
    The challenge has been finding someone with prior experience who is ALSO willing to put themselves in the cross-hairs of the Church of Scientology.
    We don’t have to have a “proper” campaign manager in order to move forward and we certainly will move forward regardless, but it sure would make life easier.
    The only position a campaign must have filled is Treasurer and we already have that taken care of.
    Lastly, we need help getting an appropriate campaign website set up that can accept donations in accordance with local campaign finance rules. Any offers of help to get this done would be greatly appreciated.
    For offers of help I can be reached through Facebook and also at MarkBunker@gmail.com

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *
  5. Type4_PTS beat me to the punch on ESMB. Here is what he posted on ESMB.

Cross-posted from Aaron Smith-Levin (on Facebook):

Mark Bunker directly addressing Scientologists yesterday at the meeting of the Downtown Development Board.

‪At the 3:05-mark hear Paris Morfopoulis (Scientologist and President of Clearwater’s Downtown Development Board) asking Mark if he likes to have sex with children and small animals. ‬

At 6:25 hear Scientologist Ray Cassano say he is also a Christian and “MOST SCIENTOLOGISTS ARE CHRISTIANS”.

Here are some comments from Mark, posted under the video on YouTube:

I attended the Downtown Development Board to discuss Scientology's impact on downtown. A problem I see is that most of the board are Scientologists. Of the new slate of candidates to join the board, three of the five are also Scientologists so they may have an even greater sway that they did in 2017 when the Tampa Bay Times wrote this article:

Downtown Clearwater board election could bring majority Scientology representation
    https://www.tampabay.com/news/local...ion-could-bring-majority-scientology/2340193/

6. Tony Ortega posted about Mark Bunker having enough signatures to become an official candidate for Clearwater’s March 17 city council election. It is the second item today, 11/15.19. Mark Bunker's statement is below.

https://tonyortega.org/2019/11/15/t...-tell-us-about-their-fight-to-free-the-world/

This is such an exciting journey. Every door I knock on, I get a really enthusiastic reaction when I explain I’ll be taking on Scientology. It is such a big issue in Clearwater and the people here are tired of politicians who are too afraid to even mention the word. They also have stories to tell. One woman saw a Sea Org gal run from the Fort Harrison only to be chased by a security guard and dragged into a van while she was screaming. Another man has a neighbor who is a FED EX driver and explained that the driver came back to his truck after a delivery downtown only to find a Sea Org gal hiding in the back of his truck. She begged him to help her get away but he freaked out and kicked her out of the truck. You shouldn’t have to escape from any organization let alone a church.

I truly believe we can win this race. We just need to get the word out. We’ll have a chance to increase turnout at the polls if we work hard enough. Typically, only about 2,400 people vote in the down ballot races for Mayor and City Council here in Clearwater. Most people don’t follow the local races at all but this election can change that. This issue can galvanize the electorate.

Today, I had lunch with Pastor Willy Rice from Calvary Baptist Church. We ate at a popular spot called Rumba. When I sat down, a waiter (not working our section) came up to me and said, “Excuse me. Has anyone ever told you you look like Mark Bunker?” I replied, “No, but it makes sense because I am Mark Bunker.” He told me how much he loved my videos and it was very flattering, but when I mentioned I was running for city council he wasn’t even aware of that. He said he will definitely be voting for me and would spread the word. So here’s a guy on my side who wasn’t yet aware that I am in the race. The next few months will change that. I’ll be talking to as many voters in person as humanly possible and start to make more use of video to target messages to the city.

I am incredibly fortunate to have a great group of volunteers behind me as well. They were an enormous help gathering signatures to get me on the ballot and will be working hard to spread the word and get people to the polls on March 17. They started referring to themselves as the Bunker Brigade. The first time a group of us met in person to gather signatures at a Calvary High football game, I found myself deeply touched that these people believed in me and wanted to make sure that I was elected. I don’t want to let them or the city down so I will do everything I can to win.

If you’d like to help, please click on this link to donate to the campaign. The money raised will be used for marketing materials like mailers, lawn signs, radio and TV ads and if we can raise enough there is someone who is interested in being a campaign manager for us which would be an enormous help in organizing our efforts. T-shirts, bumper stickers and other merch is also on the way. Help us Reclaim Clearwater!

— Mark Bunker