Customize

Scientology failed to renew trademarks in Uk, NZ and Canada!

Discussion in 'News and Current Events' started by Oinkertron9000, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Scientology failed to renew trademarks in Uk, NZ and Canada!

Curious...

Canda Expired http://ocmb.xenu.net/ocmb/viewtopic.php?t=25841
    New Zealand Expired http://ocmb.xenu.net/ocmb/viewtopic.php?t=25852
    Uk Expired http://ocmb.xenu.net/ocmb/viewtopic.php?t=25838
  2. ZOOMzoom Member

Re: Scientology failed to renew trademarks in Canada

OH EXPLOITABLE!!!
    Re-reg the trademarks, hand them over to the Freezone?
  3. subgenius Member

Screw that, re-reg and start a new cult! :lol:
  4. Re: Scientology failed to renew trademarks in Canada

Amazing! So does this mean Canada Anons are free to use certain RTC trademarks?
  5. subgenius Member

Is this what's behind the "new tech" and the push to destroy the old????
  6. subgenius Member

Oh to have the money to get the licenses and then charge Co$ for use!!!!
  7. saerat Member

change title to (and UK and Canada)
  8. B-nonymous Member

Might be. Not sure if Trademark and Copywrite law is the same...or if they are the same in Canada for that matter.

Copywrites here in the US do expire, which is why Disney has re-released films so many times. Not only does it generate revenue, but it renews the copywrite on the works as a whole.

Someone feel free to correct that, its not really in my field and its been a LONG while since I even looked into it.
  9. Daywatch Member

Re: Scientology failed to renew trademarks in Uk, NZ and Canada!

anyone else see the potential for legendary epic lulz?
  10. saerat Member

right... are you telling me I can copyright all of these tomorrow and then turn around and demand all of it is striped from the church?
  11. Re: Scientology failed to renew trademarks in Uk, NZ and Canada!

I believe that that's what's being said.
  12. saerat Member

Even more important... I can copyright this and sue them and make millions?
  13. Anonomouse Member

. . . I think before we start making supposition on what COS does and doesn't own now, one should consult with a copyright lawyer.

I am not one, but I do know that a trademark is not a copyright, but it's a little fuzzy distinction in my head at the moment between what the two actually are. The way I remembered it, trademark is like a company logo, that cute cross of theirs and the signage where as a copyright covers actual works. What also is fuzzy to me is what happens when when a trademark is null and void. A copyright, on the other hand, moves into public domain when it's time has expired. The current US legal length for copyright after the death of the author is 70 years, and if Hubbard died in 1984, it would be 2054 about before his works moved into the public domain, unless the US government lengths it yet again. Give all the pressure put on the government by the media companies (there's a reason it's called a Mickey Mouse law), copyrights made in this era may never be put into public domain, ever.

Again, IANAL, but I am a fanfic writer. We know our copyright poo poo.
  14. Re: Scientology failed to renew trademarks in Uk, NZ and Canada!

Maximum you can sue in a small claims court in canada is just a lil bit over 9000
  15. Anon Y. Mouse Member

Even more important... I can copyright this and sue them and make millions?[/quote]
    Maximum you can sue in a small claims court in canada is just a lil bit over 9000[/quote]

However, if a thousand people sue, it would be 9000 X 1000 = $9,000,000. :guyfawkes:
  16. Re: Scientology failed to renew trademarks in Uk, NZ and Canada!

Lulz AND cashmoney generation? Awesome.
  17. Skeptic1337 Member

You'd have to find international treaties (are US trademarks enforceable in any of those places). This might be the case, I actually don't know though you'd need a tm lawyer to tell you. Trade marks can be perpetual while renewed copyight as you said expires after a given length (this is US law only. I'd be talking out my ass if I know about UK/ EU or NZ or canada trademark laws).

In theory if you went through the trouble of registering the trademarks you could issue cease and desists in the country which you own them. If the CoS did not CnD then you could file for compensatory damages. The only issue with this, is this is how it works in the US. Some one familiar with EU law would have to check (and I would probably check to see if they weren't registered under EU regulations first). Those filings may not be available. Much like PACER here in the states these agencies usually lag way behind (from days to months) in making this stuff publically available.
  18. ANNYVVS Member

Hi...I know this stuff in Canada. Yes they have to remove all you own. You can not have the item...they must dispose of it and not display it in any version. LOGO (trademark) is a symbol of representation, Copyright is use on the creation of a item or work, Patent on a process. To own the trademark takes a period of application that is notice presented to the former owner to give them time to remove the items...save your money and don't buy it. BUT...you can use the items openly without worry...they have no right to them now...open to all to use. enjoy LULZ.

http://www.shapirocohen.com patent and trademark agents.
  19. Steve SP Member

I think it would be more lulzy to simply send them a message telling them that you are going to re-reg the TM... let them scramble to call their lawyers. The only effort on your part would be to:

1) Type a 3 sentence anonymous mailing.
    2) Go to the fridge to get a beer.
  20. Dubber Member

It isn't true. Copyrights are dated from registration or first publication.

Trademarks in the US do not expire so long as they are used.
  21. B-nonymous Member

Damn yall for making me look it up! :D

and

That should clear a few things up.
  22. Re: Scientology failed to renew trademarks in Uk, NZ and Canada!

So in short can I buy FLAG and sell it back to them in the UK?
  23. Skeptic1337 Member

Nope in short, they have some period of time to reregister their trademarks. At that point you could register it and hope that some EU law doesn't supercede it or some international treaty isn't in place to enforce it. If all that checks out then you could ask them to stop using FLAG as it's your TM. They could say no and you sue them or they could say ok here's some dough for it. You'd be talking about a hefty sum of money on a gamble, but hey if you got money to burn worth a shot :lrhmoney:
  24. Re: Scientology failed to renew trademarks in Uk, NZ and Canada!

Gaysteaks.

I got a bit of money to gamble on but not to burn.

My plan was to just sell it back to them for double the price.

And maybe make some FLAG waffles (waffles without the thetans) or something in the meantime.
  25. TICTpx Member

Trademark and copyright law are not the same. Re-releasing films doesn't renew copyright in the story, it merely generates a new copyright in the new version of the work.

We can't register these Trademarks, at least not in the UK and given the high degree of international harmonisation on intellectual property rights almost certainly not elsewhere. Any registration would certainly be considered in bad faith and refused, and would be open to serious challenge by the cult even if they were registered. In short it would be an expensive and pointless waste of your time.

They also have 6 months from removal from the register to apply for the mark to be reinstated. And now this is on here and OCMB, I think we can proably assume they will.
  26. TICTpx Member

In UK copyright does not require registration or publication, it arises the moment the ink is dry. Like the US, trademarks in the UK can last forever provided you still use them and pay your renewal fees.
  27. TICTpx Member

No.