Customize

Scientology:Game Over Australia May Be about Bankrupt

Discussion in 'Media' started by Triumph, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Triumph Member

Scientology: Game Over? Australia May Be About to Bankrupt Church Operations Down Under
    By Tony Ortega Thu., Sep. 1 2011 at 3:54 PM
    read more here
    http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/2011/09/scientology_gam.php
    • Like Like x 13
  2. Diablo Member

Good article...bankrupt in Australia would be another HUGE step in the right direction!

for now, off to tustin....someone needs to be educated about cult in their neighborhood...DIABLO OUT!
    • Like Like x 6
  3. Anonymous Member

The first domino falls.
    • Like Like x 5
  4. Ann O'Nymous Member

5. AnonLover Member

• Like Like x 2
  6. AnonLover Member

^^Mods are better at the sport than i am... sorry for dup thread
    • Like Like x 1
  7. DeathHamster Member

Does anyone remember an old COSRECI planning document that listed orgs outside of the UK?

It listed Canadian orgs even through there's no evidence, hint or trace that they ever implemented that plan. Bryan Seymour used it as fact on his program, and now it's spread to Tony Ortega. I'm hoping to settle it before it spreads further.

Edit: Found it "02 1982 AA from Companies House.pdf" in the cosreci.zip.

If CoS had been planning to use COSRECI as an international umbrella corp, their Canadian plans certainly never happened. (Possibly due to the 1983 Toronto Snow White raid and trial.)
    • Like Like x 4
  8. RightOn Member

take it away Max!
  9. docpaul Member

mmm, the sound of falling dominos... bring it on.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. greebly Member

Link to this doc?

Again I will highlight the supreme court case going on atm which has some relevance.
    http://forums.whyweprotest.net/thre...nisterial-employment-case.78857/#post-1747875

Secondly why didn't Ortega look into this side of things in regards to the US??? it's from April man!

This was used in the Headley Case and perhaps others - list
  11. DeathHamster Member

12. Anonymous Member

I'll pop the champagne when it happens.

Nick is a God among Gods, but until every last clamshop is shut down in Oz I'll still be walzing my Matilda.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. thefatman Member

I'm fairly certain this will bankrupt them, they have next to no money, their Orgs are getting piss all and they can't even fund raise for the Idle Morgue, so they'll be unable to give staff back pay without regging publics for more money.
  14. xenubarb Member

Aight:

15. exOT8Michael Member

If you know how the greedy cult thinks about stuff like this one would realize that if OZ forces them to pay all this they would pay it then force the staff to "re-donate" all the extra pay back to C of S or face ethics consequences. Trufax.
    Can someone warn Xenophon this is a high likelihood? Thx.
    • Like Like x 3
  16. My understanding is that there have been a variety of reccomendations made to Fair Work relating to this issue. I suspect you are right that many will donate the money back, however, this does not help Scientology with the staff that have blown already or the staff that will blow the moment they have options. It also doesn't prevent them paying their payroll tax debt. The payroll tax alone would be enough to bankrupt them.

We should all be thankful in Australia that we have Bryan Seymore and Nick Xenophon. Without both of these guys, this would never have happened.
    The thing we should be worried about the most are the Sea Org members in Australia AFTER the decision. As per Scientology scripture, they must have pulled it in. Some of these people may end up in Hemet. At protests, I have been explaining to them how best to escape from Hemet. Of course they laugh it off, but you can't unhear something like that.
    • Like Like x 10
  17. As one of the exes involved in this set of claims, let me assure you that Fair Work Australia have indeed been alerted to the possibility of the cult doing this and several other devious scenarios. Suggested "handlings" for these have been recommended.:D

As I've said on another thread, even if they manage to somehow convince their current staff to "donate" all their wages to Co$, there's still income tax, insurances, payroll tax, compulsory superannuation (9% of every employee's wage BEFORE tax must be paid to a fund by the employer, not come from the wage) so the cult will be handing over a hell of a lot of money no matter what. That alone will be far more than they rake in, so they will become bankrupt locally.

And they know it, folks.

It may very well be party time, but we'll all just have to wait and see what the final report brings. And if you have trouble waiting, imagine how hard it must be for the local OSAspawn. :)
    • Like Like x 13
  18. Organon Member

• Like Like x 5
  19. RolandRB Member

^^^
    Good luck with this. I am used to the UK government NOT doing the right thing time and time again so something like this does not even raise any expectations in me. I'll celebrate if it happens.
  20. Random guy Member

Quoted for truth!
    • Like Like x 3
  21. It was totally realistic to try and pretend that Scientology staff were volunteers under Mike Rinder's watch for decades as the cult accumulated millions off the backs of duped members seeking Hubbard's "Freedom".

Mike Rinder is a total hypocrite who continues to promote Hubbard's radical Scientology (ALL of Hubbard's Scientology processing is radical, Mike and Marty) scam to former members who finally have a chance at some real freedom.
    • Like Like x 2
  22. AnonLover Member

• Like Like x 5
  23. TinyDancer Member

FWO is aware.

Tony has made some minor amendments to the article.
    • Like Like x 3
  24. Anonymous Member

My first thought would be that the back wages would be put in escrow for a certain amount of time, say one year. But at one point in time, the money would have to be given to the indivuals due, whether they want to "ethically" donate it back to the cos or not.

I dunno, popcorn at the ready to see how this one plays out.
  25. With it being wages, the employees would have to pay tax on it.

So even assuming that all the employees donated back all of the money - which is most unlikely as some of them will surely have left Scientology by now - the cult would only get back 2/3 of it (approx - depending on Aussie income tax rates). And that's a worst-case.
    • Like Like x 2
  26. Anonymous Member

Don't know about Aussie tax laws, but it might be income they would have to declare, but the taxes due could be offset by an equivalent charitable contribution.

Ruh-roh, this is going to get messy.
    • Like Like x 1
  27. Not unless COSREC is endorsed as a gift-deductible recipient by the Commissioner of Taxation; and not unless the gifts are voluntary.

According to
    http://www.usig.org/countryinfo/australia.asp#deductibility
  28. Anonymous Member

Asking more than affirming: as a currently recognized religion, donations to the cos are considered gift-deductible, as things stand now? And how would the Aussie gubmint argue with a scilon who says their donation is voluntary even if it suspects it is not?

I'm not arguing that if this pans out, it won't hurt the cos with payroll taxes and issues of liquidity in the short term. But as things stand right now, if not mortally wounded, I'm not sure how the legislation could prevent scilons from funneling their money right back to it. I'm not saying it can't be done because there are knowledgable and experienced people out there working on this. I'm just looking forward to the show.
  29. Another thing to factor into all of this is the result of last year's Senate Inquiry here which called for the establishment of a Charities Commission. This is currently being set up.

The Commission WILL be assessing the cult as to "public benefit" and deciding on its tax-exempt status accordingly. So, if it loses that status (as widely expected) donations of wages back to said cult will not be tax-deductible.

And there's the "Cult Watchdog" to be set up and start reporting to federal parliament - the powers for it afaik are unspecified but I'm sure it too will be watching for coercive behaviour so well-known by this cult, and will act accordingly.

We're slowly closing all the cracks in the walls where the cockroaches can get in. :)
    • Like Like x 9
  30. Sponge Member

The FWO does actually have enforcement powers to collect back wages from the employer on behalf of the employee. This is in cases, for example, where the original employees who were underpaid left before the investigaton started/concluded and wouldn't be aware at the time of their employment. I mentioned this in the original FWO thread in the situation room.
  31. BlooAnon Member

Delicious!
  32. Anonymous Member

I love Australia right now, with all my heart.

You know if Oz stamps down hard on this crazy cult, the UK will, then watch the EU nations follow suit.

Kick this shitty UFO sect back to the USA where it started, then attack them while they are trapped.
    • Like Like x 4
  33. Anonymous Member

If you think it would be useful could you suggest to them that "donations" to religious organisations should be subject to a one week "cooling off period" so people have a chance to reconsider their actions.
    We have a similar rule in the UK in relation to high pressure door step selling.
    • Like Like x 3
  34. Anonymous Member

They'll ooze out to Taiwan, Second-best korea, Vietnam, India, South America. But we don't really care about those places, do we?
    • Like Like x 1
  35. Anonymous Member

I think this is what you're after: a search for Scientology on the ABN lookup site shows that the "deductible gift recipient status" of the main church entities is "not entitled to receive tax deductible gifts", e.g. THE CHURCH OF SCIENTOLOGY INC. COSRECI does not appear on the list.

However, there are entities for building funds which are endorsed as "deductible gift recipients", e.g. The Trustee for CHURCH OF SCIENTOLOGY ACT ACADEMY BUILDING FUND.
    • Like Like x 1
  36. DeathHamster Member

I thought COSRECI was completely inactive in Australia (only used in UK), or is this a different one?
    • Like Like x 1
  37. Anonymous Member

I have a strong gut feeling Aussie scilons with a paycheck to give away would be made aware of the difference.. Unless Aussie legislature prevented them from touching the money for a year! Neither theirs-just-yet nor the cos.

I wouldn't want to be the poor scilon soul preparing the cash-flow charts. For them I have only this to say: pack up and run, hon. It's going to be downstat in accounting for a while.
    • Like Like x 1
  38. Anonymous Member

Those places won't make the kind of money Nipplehead Miscavige needs.
  39. Anonymous Member

It is yeah, I just mentioned it because it was referenced in the post I was answering (#29).