Customize

Scientology talk at University of Southampton, Hampshire

Discussion in 'News and Current Events' started by Anonymous, May 5, 2011.

1. Anonymous Member

"We are happy to announce that we will be hosting a talk and Q&A session by the Bournemouth & Poole Church of Scientology on Monday 16th May!"

Alternative Views: Scientology

When: Mon, May 16, 2011 7:00 PM - Mon, May 16, 2011 9:00 PM

Where: Murray Building, Lecture Theatre C
    Map

Representatives from the Church of Scientology in Bournemouth and Poole are coming to give a talk on their side of the popular story. The talk will be about the lives of the 'everyday' people in the church and how it affects them and will hopefully address many of the questions we have about the church and its place in society.

There will be a question and answer session at the end where the representatives will be happy to answer any questions you may have, don't be afraid of asking!

We would really like a broad range of views represented in the audience to generate some interesting discussion and comparisons and therefore we encourage members of any of the religious societies or unions in the university to come along.

http://atheistsoc.susu.org
    http://twitter.com/SotonAtheistSoc
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/University-of-Southampton-Atheist-Society/195782417123754
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Anonymous Member

Why do academics keep giving this abusive corporation a platform and a sense of credibility?
    Don't they do any research? It's their job to do research isn't it?

Barmy bloody buggers.
    • Like Like x 5
  3. Anonymous Member

shi- could be cash with right questions
    • Like Like x 3
  4. Anonymous Member

do we have anyone that can attend... possibly record?
  5. Anonymous Member

Naive. Does the students union know a cult is being allowed to openly recruit on uk college campuses?
    • Like Like x 3
  6. Anonymous Member

Someone needs to go and ask about OTIII and Body Thetans.

That would mean all their speakers and any scientologists attending will have to be above OTIII or in the shit for hearing about Body Thetans too early.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Anonymous Member

And Xenu, too!
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Anonymous Member

'Body Thetans' are the 2 words that really work and cause problems for anyone not at ot3 or above.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Ann O'Nymous Member

The official line is:
    - "I never heard of Xenu" and it is true for most people in scientology, even representatives (e.g. Pat Harney in Clearwater) or,
    - "That is not worse than many other religious scriptures".

Thus, I would try the angle of the abuses: fair game, disconnection, coerced abortions. Get facts and testimonies ready to quote.
    • Like Like x 3
  10. Anonymous Member

Maybe have anyone there keep fliers or cards on hand? It would be humorous to stand up during the question and answer session, ask a very direct question, and when they brush it off start handing out fliers to the people sitting around you.
    • Like Like x 3
  11. RolandRB Member

If you get a chance to ask them questions then you could come up with the whole Xenu thing "According to your scriptures, there was overpopulation in this part of the galaxy............" and when they say "I have never heard of this and...." then ask them "It is strange that you are here representing your religion and you seem to know less about its beliefs than ordinary members of the public but tell me, if you did read this in your scriptures then would you believe it?".
    • Like Like x 3
  12. Anonymous Member

For any lurking students thinking of attending this event - Ask a scientologist:

How much will the scientology Bridge to Total Freedom cost me in money and time?
    What is Scientology's 'Fair Game Policy'?
    What do scientologists call non-scientologists? (answer: 'Wogs', 'Raw Meat' - that's YOU)
    And always ask about the Body Thetans and Xenu.
    What was Operation Snow White?
    How many people went to jail?

Scientologists lie to non scientologists. They are cult members - they can't help it, it's what the are trained to do.
    • Like Like x 6
  13. Ogsonofgroo Member

Ask why Hubbard, a chronic liar, denied having a 'second wife'.
    Ask why it should cost one single cent for anyone to become enlightened.
    Ask why there are over 1,400 people who are so pissed off at the cult they have spoken out?
    Ask why an 'institution' such as cult of scientology needs to reap and pillage, build massive gathering sites (yeh for no bodies), yet espouses the un-importance of worldly goods.
    Ask why so many have died.
    Ask why this corrupt company/enterprise has not given anything but illusion to those who have trusted it.
    Ask 'Where is shelly Miscavige'
    Ask why, if it is such a great thing, so many of their practitioners are certifiably incoherant, aren't really making money, living worse than than a villager in the deepest regions of the Amazon, unhappier, stupider, and see less sunshine.
    Ask many questions, there are many but one should choose wisely for best effort. I truly hope that there will be a few who can show up for this event and at the very least get some fliers out and talk to some people.
    It is not really a bad thing that cult gets to go speak somewhere, come on now, people are not that stupid any more, especially folks bright enough to go and try for higher education. The thing is, is to get some information out there and trust that the crowd will have a sense of mockery.
    This is just my wee thought for the evening.
    • Like Like x 6
  14. Anonymous Member

Ask them why, if they are esoteric and aren't meant to have knowledge about the details of levels above theirs, they refuse to tell you what level they are at as spokesholes given that this would reveal how much they actually know, and therefore how much they don't that we do.
    Then ask if they've gotten to the level where engrams are revealed to just be body thetans yet.
    • Like Like x 3
  15. Anonymous Member

Why should 'universal knowlege' cost anything?
  16. If you want to make them look crazy, bring some psychology students and ask why they hate psychiatrists.
    • Like Like x 4
  17. Ogsonofgroo Member

Hand out several thousand YFTC with appropriate links etc. let people figure it out for themselves with a bit of interneting=win/profit!
    • Like Like x 2
  18. timthephoto Member

• Like Like x 2
  19. Anonymous Member

Sent to the students' union reps via their contact page:

Hi - I'm just seeking clarification. Please can you confirm for me that the scientology cult has been invited and is going to be allowed to openly attempt to recruit students on your campus (Mon, May 16, 2011 7:00 PM Murray Building, Lecture Theatre C).

Thank you
    • Like Like x 6
  20. CarterUSP Member

^ This.
    The scilons will be drilled on standard responses (No, I've been a scilon for x years and have never heard of xenu, those are stories made up by insane people who have something to hide...). When the scilons try to give their shore stories, someone needs to produce and hand out dox, well researched, sourced, true and enturbulating.
    • Like Like x 5
  21. CarterUSP Member

Heh.
    Or come as a psychologist and start handing out happy pills.
  22. SParc Member

These pills will get rid of all your body thetans !
    • Like Like x 1
  23. Anonymous Member

Let us know when you get a response back.
    • Like Like x 1
  24. Anonymous Member

It's very naive of the students who have invited them or the people who are allowing this to take place.
    • Like Like x 1
  25. grebe Member

If I had a chance to ask a question, I'd say something like this:

"In Scientology, information provided at higher levels proves false information learned at lower levels. For example, Dianetics, a book read by people just starting on the Bridge, teaches about the reactive mind. Yet at a later point Scientologists learn that they mocked up or deluded themselves into believing that they have a reactive mind. Also, Scientologists on the OT levels spend tens of thousands of pounds trying to work through issues from traumatic events in past lives, only to learn later at OT-8 that they mocked up their past lives. So I ask, aren't Scientologists progressing through this system of half truths and deceptions guilty of piss poor due diligence? How is it acceptable, in this era of Google, to promote teachings you haven't yet fully examined?"
    • Like Like x 5
  26. RightOn Member

I always wondered why COS's "teachings" were not more heavily scrutinized and why non professionals are allowed to mess with people's minds.
    Or why possible long term effects from COS training (especially the TR's amd L's) have not been looked into or studied at all.
    The government pretends to be so concerned with the welfare of people with drug labeling, consumer reports, product recalls, food labeling, ect.... but screwing with people's minds in the name of religion? not so much!
    I say they recall COS
    • Like Like x 2
  27. xenulondon Member

I , for one, welcome this talk! The people holding it are the atheist soc, most probably skeptics. I would be very surprised if they aren't very well informed on Scientology, already.

tl;dr don't expect the clams to get an easy ride.
    • Like Like x 5
  28. timthephoto Member

has anyone got contact details? we should totally *make sure* that they are informed
    • Like Like x 4
  29. Anonymous Member

It's naive. They are giving a forum and respectability to a cult. They are out of their depth. Most people who deal with scientologists can not grasp the extent to which they lie - continually and systematically.

This a public event that will allow potentially vulnerable young people who are away from home for the first time to have direct exposure to scientology recruitment .

Scientology is a dangerous, criminal, fundamentalist group that radicalises it's members. Don't underestimate them.
  30. conatus Member

Closest UK anons to this I recall are near Southampton, maybe 1 hr away?

Edit: Oh, wait. :-(
  31. JohnnyRUClear Member

At first I was like... that's kinda dumb.

Then I was like, wait a sec... some psych drug company should actually market a BT-buster pill. Just make a placebo and label it as a pill that removes body thetans. What would the cult do with that one? :D
  32. timthephoto Member

33. CarterUSP Member

This is hopeful indeed. One can only imagine that a skeptical atheist society would love to put on an event to ridicule religion. What better way to do that than to get the most bizarre, unreasonable 'religious' group in the world and parade them in front of a large group of people, asking them about xenu, fair game etc.
  34. xenubarb Member

GF masks printed out and stuck to popsicle sticks could be most amusing if handed out surreptitiously to the audience. With 'youfoundthecard.com' on the back, or written in biro on the stick.

Just sayin...
    • Like Like x 3
  35. grebe Member

There are two kinds of atheists: those who don't believe in God for whatever reason, and those who are pro-science generally and who don't care so much what anyone believes so long as they don't lie about the evidence available.

The first group includes a fair number of New Age types.
  36. CarterUSP Member

Can anyone confirm any planned anon presence for the event? No way I can get there.
    Keep sending the poons.
  37. Anonymous Member

1st response from 5 requests:

I have no idea about the following speculation made by yourself - i would also not be the best person qualified to respond to this within susu

Peace,

- Ted Wilkes
  38. Anonymous Member

My response to Ted Wilkes:
    Thanks for your fast response to my enquiry. Just wondering if you can you tell me who the best person is for me to contact to get clarification regarding this?
  39. Anonymous Member

Hampshire Anons are watching this thread.
    • Like Like x 2
  40. Anonymous Member

Have any departments been pooned? The psychology student groups, human rights groups, and related. There should be a listing of all student groups and contacts.

Student Services:

Tel. +44 (0)23 8059 9599
    www.soton.ac.uk/studentservices