Customize

Scientology v. Psychiatry -- Dr. Stephen Wiseman video

Discussion in 'News and Current Events' started by Gerry Armstrong, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Scientology v. Psychiatry -- Dr. Stephen Wiseman video

sKepptiksowat — April 16, 2010 — Dr. Stephen Wiseman is a Clinical Associate Professor in the Department of Psychiatry at the University of British Columbia, and Consultant Psychiatrist at St. Paul's Hospital in Vancouver, BC. For a number of years he has been researching Scientology, its inventor L. Ron Hubbard, and the organization's anti-psychiatry arm, the Citizens Commission on Human Rights This is his first public talk about Scientology's war on Psychiatry, given at Vancouver's annual "Skepticamp" at UBC on March 20, 2010, and is of monumental significance in this long conflict.

Hubbard started a campaign http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientol... against psychiatry 60 years ago that is supported by every Scientologist with either money or time. 24 years after Hubbard's death, this campaign has reached a fanatical level of hostility with multi-million dollar attack-media offensives and legal and extralegal programs to harm or destroy the profession and subject of psychiatry generally and psychiatrists' careers individually. Scientology's war on psychiatry under current Scientology head David Miscavige has not attained its goal, but it has negatively impacted public understanding and threatens to drive an extremely vulnerable set of citizens away from the option, science, hope and help that psychiatrists can be for them.

Dr. Wiseman describes what he and two colleagues have undertaken as a push back against Scientology in the name of his profession. This is the first such effort, certainly in the English-speaking world, and is long overdue. In the past, several individual psychiatrists speaking for themselves have stood up to Scientology and faced its organized and heavily-funded hostility. For this, Drs. Jolly West http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Jo... and Jack Clark http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Gor... remain respected figures to this day. Until now, however, no group of psychiatrists or professional organization such as the American Psychiatric Association has confronted or pushed back against the distortions and falsehoods of Scientology, and this has emboldened Miscavige's organization considerably over the years. With the work of Dr. Wiseman and his colleagues, these days are now over.

The Skeptics and related reason-promoting groups and individuals have been speaking out against Scientology's deceptions and anti-science for many years. Dr. Wiseman's talk and Q & A period are short because of the SkeptiCamp format, but he imparts considerable new information and many insights. It is obvious he has educated himself about Scientology and its war, and he says that the research he and his colleagues have done is at a level now where publication and further presentation options are under consideration. He has taken their endeavor this far while working full time in his medical specialty at a major metropolitan hospital. He is clearly articulate, well-informed, human, and reasonable, and for these reasons represents a formidable force against the shrill, destructive rage of Scientology.
  2. Anonymous Member

Re: Scientology v. Psychiatry -- Dr. Stephen Wiseman video

Oh yeah, this could get good!
  3. RightOn Member

Thanks for posting!
    It's about time they started speaking up.

That's a huge untapped source who could help to bring the cult down, but have done very little. Good to see them coming around. They need to speak out moar

Counter protests would be so deelish
    wonder if they would be interested in counter protesting the next CCHR protest that is coming up?
    Probably way too far away for them to come down for?
  4. Zak McKracken Member

Hai Gerry!

Is Dr. Stephen any relation to Kendra or Bruce?
  5. 3rdMan Member

Scientology: Making more and more new enemies sense 1954.

brb popcorn
  6. Re: Scientology v. Psychiatry -- Dr. Stephen Wiseman video

MIRROR!
  7. Anonymous Member

This is an excellent, well-informed talk.
  8. AnonyVix Member

Excellent speech shame about the sound.
  9. Anonymous Member

Wiseman is wise.
  10. Zak McKracken Member

O RLY.

51AAZ7TFQ1L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
  11. Anonymous Member

This is definitely an underexploited angle. I've always wondered whats taking those damn psychs so long.
  12. amaX Member

It's about time. More psychs on board, please!
  13. Anonymous Member

Psychiatrists have been useless in the fight against Scientology because they are FAIL at Internets and black PR warfare.

To give an example, Medscape's psychiatry forum is so dominated by anti-psychiatry trolls that meaningful conversation between colleagues is nearly impossible. The most prolific anti-psych bot is one "Dr. TouchyFeely", who must get daily Google Alerts for "psychiatry" and "bad."

You have to register there as an MD to view the ass kicking for yourself. Probably not worth your time if you aren't an MD, as you'll need to find some guy's name, med school, year graduated, dob, and last four digits of SSN to set up an account.
  14. Anonymous Member

You do understand this thread is about Stephen, not Bruce. Don't you?
  15. Paroxetine Samurai Moderator

This says it all:

scifagfail.jpg
  16. Zak McKracken Member

I do understand the thread (like most threads) is about the content we put into it.

From my previous query to the OP:
    I'm curious if the good Dr. Stephen Wiseman has any connection or relation to the notorious CCHR troll Bruce Wiseman. Its not an uncommon name. Could simply be coincidence.

but "Wiseman is wise" is poorly enough chosen that it needs specification.
    Not all are.

Edit:
    Can't find nuthin.
  17. Anonymous Member

This is excellent news!

^^True dat. Perhaps anon should whip up ning to cater specifically to the area of psychs against cchr & other sclion based hategroup activities/policies? to keep track of public speaking events like this one & the APA convention's lady pres commentary from last year, in order to try and encourage more of the same.
  18. afternon Member

I've seen the 1st video, looking forward to viewing the rest later- this is gooooood!

The CCHR and other $cilon cult front groups only work in a vacuum by filling it with shit- they'd be fucked if there was a live debate with psychiatrists- that would be epic and no doubt a good psychiatrist would quickly be able to point out the learned paranioa of siad $cilons.
  19. EyeOnSci Member

Wow, excellent start.

It's about time the psychiatric community spoke out to educate and protect the people who presently need, and may need psychiatric treatment in the future.

I dare the scilons to look at this video and to honestly evaluate the content brought forth.
  20. xenubarb Member

I am getting good mileage out of Dr. Nada Stotland's comment that CCHR is a hate group.

The gems may be few and far between from the psychs, but we can do a lot with what we have.
  21. LarryBren Member

This was great Gerry, all five of them. Thanks for sharing.

I'm so glad to see this and hope it is a sign of more to come. I'll be speaking with a class of psychiatrists next month and am really looking forward to it. I'm hoping to get the whole class to pose for a picture saying "Merchants of Chaos".

Another front anyone?

Maybe it's time for Miscavige to use his fearsome secret weapon: "OT Cat"

soontobedead.jpg
  22. Krytenanon Member

woolq.jpg

Take that OT Cat..

Anon Wool of justice!
  23. grebe Member

Wow this Wiseman guy is sexy.
  24. CowBell Member

Between seeing patients and keeping their Marcab warships properly cloaked, it's hard for them to find the time.
  25. LarryBren Member

A brilliant counter measure!

It's a well known fact that string and ribbons can stop even an OT Cat in the middle of OT actions:

funny-pictures-kitten-time-travels.jpg
  26. Anonymous Member

Oh, my. This is hugely significant. Part 2 has taught me much and I have 3 parts yet to view.

Has anyone seen the transcriptions by Gerry referred to in the text?
  27. Anonymous Member

CCHR: "the missile cone of Scientology's efforts to destroy psychiatry".
  28. BLiP Member

Top post!! Thanks Gerry.
  29. Incredulicide Member

Thanks for posting this. I picked up a reference in the talk I hadn't seen elsewhere (because I don't lurk moar perhaps), here's a pdf of it:

THE ENGRAMMES OF PSYCHIATRY, published in November, 1947.

I'm reminded of summary of the "Tech": Nothing original in it is good, and nothing good in it is original
  30. Anonymous Member

31. Anonymous Member

RAWR!
  32. Anonymous Member

The engram theory is neither original nor good.
  33. Anon_1HG Member

The power point slides:

34. AnonLover Member

^^Noice. u got pretty screengrab images to share with the class plox for other uses?

also - youtube description postcript reads
    what are divx files? also - do want transcripts if Dr Hawt Wiseman isnt publishing a paper(???) on this fine work!
  35. Krytenanon Member

Divx is a form of video compression much like mpeg, .mov or wmv. You will find the codecs to play that particular format here at DivX ? Play DivX, AVI & MKV videos on computers and devices | DivX.com
  36. AnonLover Member

suggestions on how to convert to mpg/wmv or similar format? i could make good use of burning these to dvd for dissemination... but it be better to have 'em in native windows media player friendly format.
  37. mefree Member

bump
  38. Krytenanon Member

Give the Any video site a good read through. Video Converter, DVD Ripper - Any Video converter - The versatile video converter for iPod, iPhone, PSP, Zune, cell phones and more

I haven't done any vid conversion in a few a while but this was what I used last time.
  39. Shinythings Member

About time! Digg anyone?
  40. Bob Loblaw Member

BUMP. Ah, good memories of the APA 2009 Counterprotest!