Customize

Scientology VS Psychiatry

Discussion in 'Fliers & Pamphlets' started by DarkSpecterAnon, Nov 18, 2010.

1. Scientology VS Psychiatry

Addressing the need to reach out to as many people as possible in our Raids, I am proposing a new Campaign. The thesis is fairly simple:

Scientology is heavily opposed to Psychiatry. To Justify their position let's compare the two. Specific fields for Analysis:
    1. Similarities
    2. Differences
    3. Origins
    4. Scientific Communities that support each
    5. Continued Public Research
    6. Qualifications for enrollment
    (More topics as suggested by Anonymous)

For Example:
    Relating to topic 6;
    The Hippocratic Oath originated in Ancient Greece, and acts as a baseline for ethics in the practice of Medicine. All practicing physicians that graduated from Universities take an oath that is similarly derived from the original Oath. For discussion: Scientologists are Allegedly the most "ethical" people on the planet. Do their auditors take similar oaths guaranteeing they, "will apply, for the benefit of the sick, all measures [that] are required, avoiding those twin traps of overtreatment and therapeutic nihilism."? (Modern Variation of Hippocratic Oath: Hippocratic Oath - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

As far as I can tell, Psychiatrist go through medical school and take their oath before they practice medicine. What do the Scientologists do?

These discussions put in fliers and signs help to engage people inside, outside and caddy-corner (Know nothing about) to Scientology. Drawing parallels between real life scenarios (A medical doctor who takes an oath to treat their patient ethically can be shown to conflict with someone who did not go to any type of school and bears no oath.) helps all kinds of people see the discrepancies between Scientology and real life.

Any thoughts on this line of thought would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Anonymous Member

Re: Scientology VS Psychiatry

This is a kind of pointless because the general public doesn't know about their opposition to psychiatry and probably wouldn't even need a compare/contrast to know Scientology is crazy.

If you intend to give these fliers to practicing Scientologists you're going to have a hard time.

This might be better as a wiki article.
  3. Sponge Member

Depending on how it is done, there can be a risk of elevating scientology when you do such a direct comparison with a legtimate field of medicine, even if it is an attempt to "prove" scientology is bunk. Apples and oranges.
  4. Anonymous Member

Pointless, they will just dismiss all the above by pointing out they are a "religion" and their purpose is "to address the soul". And the Scientologists would be happy to see the topic become psychiatry rather than their own systemic abuses.
  5. Anonymous Member

Actually I've been surprised how many of the general public are aware of this, mostly thanks to CCHR and the controversial media coverage it's generated for years.

There is also a shocking number of health professionals who are aware of this, especially in the mental health field... as they usually get lots of material over the years from scientology explaining how what they do is evil.
  6. Squirrel King Member

It's better to stick with the emotional arguments, pointing out the batshit insanity and crimes the church has committed and continues to commit. Refuting them point to point is better for the fewer people who want to learn the details, such as where the CCHR gets its base data ---> out of the arses of their members.
  7. Anonymous Member

Very few physicians take the Hippocratic oath today. Have you ever read the ridiculous thing, with the swearing to Apollo, the promise not to be a surgeon, etc?

I took the oath of Louis Lasagna. But like every profession, medicine has a few bad apples. So oaths are no guarantee of quality.
  8. Re: Scientology VS Psychiatry

It seems the General Consensus of the idea points to: does not Translate to well into handout/ sign material.... I suppose you are right. How about that Wiki Idea then.... I guess the next step is to say, "Where will material like this be best utilized?"
  9. Re: Scientology VS Psychiatry

This is pretty true too... I haven't been able to find any sources about how often it is used today. And yeah the fact that every profession has some bad people is indisputable. I suppose the only conclusion that I was trying to draw relates to the fact that such an oath at the very least exists. How often it's used definitely defeats that purpose.
  10. Anonymous Member

^^this
  11. xenubarb Member

Who's that, one of the FSM's archangels?
  12. grebe Member

Could be, but I have no sauce on that.

May you be touched by his noodly appendage.
  13. Anonymous Member

Would like me to state some of the blatantly obvious reasons why this is a bad idea?

1) In my country the public at large still has a metric ton of stigma attached to mental illnesses. There are a few fairly active anti-psychiatry groups (although much less extremist than the CCHR) to begin with and they are finding plenty of traction with members of the public. Bringing this into any debate regarding Scientology just gives you one more hurdle you have to overcome when explaining?

2) Have you ever tried to explain a scientific discipline to a random member of the public? In my experience of protesting on the ground I would that for about 60% of the folks I talk to attempting this would both a waste of time and completely unnecessary distraction.

3) I do not understand why anyone would make fliers for a topic that would be extremely unlikely to garner public interest, particularly when there are dozens of alternative topics that would. The exception to this would be if you were protesting a CCHR-specific event where the public interest would be on psychiatry, but unless this is the case then the previous criticism applies.

4) Doing this would only elevate the credibility of Scientology by giving the appearance that a comparison can be made (and this to the people who wouldn’t already have a distrust of psychiatry to begin with).

I think the response to this thread vindicates the dome call. If anyone is looking for info on this specific topic I put together this:
    Scientology & psychiatry - Dialogue Ireland

I think I’ll take another infraction because this seems completely justified and warranted:
    [size=+3]DOME THIS SHIT[/size]
  14. Anonymous Member

FSM = Field Staff Member.
  15. thefatman Member

The idea of comparing and contrasting the two is almost pointless. The CoS doesn't oppose psychiatry for any legitimate reason, but instead because they made up shit about psychiatry causing the Holocaust, 9/11 and so on, they also don't believe mental disorders exist. Comparing the origins, qualifications, differences, similarities and so on is pointless. Furthermore, most things in lower levels of Scientology/Dianetics are basically just older schools of psychiatry (mainly psychoanalysis) albeit tweaked to Hubbard's own choosing.

There is no rational or logical way to justify their position. Yes, there have been issues in the psychiatric field, but they are due to people, not the organisation or the science. Just replace psychiatry with any other science (biology, chemistry, etc.) and it begins to sound a whole lot nuttier.

Exposing the lies behind Scientology's criticism of psychiatry on the other hand...
  16. grebe Member

I agree with everything anonymous says except for the doming. The newfags need some exposition, a chance to lern, and THEN a spanking for their failure.

Alternately, we could actively try to hurt everyone's feelings as often as possible as a kind of pre-emptive or maintenance chemo against egofaggotry. Could be an interesting experiment.

Hmm... Maybe anti-egofag Fridays? One day a week when we release our raeg upon the unwary with "no discipline"?
  17. Re: Scientology VS Psychiatry

Look. I'm not sure what exactly you mean by "Doming", I'm assuming it's a removal of the topic or whatever. I just wanted some input here about the idea.... and clearly based on the reactions It's not a very good one... I understand. I'm not trying to stir up anything, I just thought perhaps it might be an interesting idea as a protest topic.

I understand there are probably topics that should be dismissed, but I'm trying to be serious here. and I appreciate posts like #3.
  18. afternon Member

A better approach would be to list those who needed psychiatric help but were denied it by the cult who suffered or died as a consequence- such Lisa McPherson, Ellie Perkins, etc.
  19. grebe Member

I'm sorry noob, but your sincerity takes a back seat to moar entertaining emotional dramas, because Anonymous is feeling bored today.
  20. COREarg Member

^ This

You see? it wasn't even THAT freaking hard.
  21. CarterUSP Member

Educating the public needs quick, snappy, memorable soundbites and ideas. When talking with public while protesting and the conversation goes on to psychiatry, I just check they know the xenu story, as a big reason why scilons are anti-psych. That tends to be sufficient to get an understanding of scilon moonbat ways across, without having to discuss hippocratic oaths and the like.
  22. Anonymous Member

You’re missing a bit of culture to this.

There is a part of this site called the ‘thunderdome’, which is essentially the trash-can of this site. The phrase ‘dome this shit’ literally means place the thread there, but is has come to take on additional meaning. When people agree with a post they often write ‘^this’ or similar to illustrate that agreement, and the phrase ‘dome this shit’ has come to take on the opposite meaning.

In essence it is a way of succinctly expressing disagreement towards a suggestion, and is not necessarily a call for the thread to be removed. A while back the moderators of this site at the time thought it would be a good idea to start infracting such dome calls. At the time I and others argued that the phrase acts as a valuable meme that should be kept. For reasons that escape either logic or rationale the moderators at the time decided to make the banning of the phrase part of the rules of the site.

The rule has largely been unenforced except for the rare occasions, like today, where the mods have a poker in their arses. The phrase just an anon way of expressing vehement disagreement to an idea. Little more than that.
  23. Re: Scientology VS Psychiatry

Ahh! Thanks for the info Anonymous!
  24. JohnnyRUClear Member

I agree with making this a wiki subject. That way, those who want to pursue this comparison have a place to collaborate on doing so, and the results will simply sit there unless anything worthwhile emerges, in which case a report or some kind of flyer or whatever can always be generated.

25. It's good to keep in mind though that there are mental health
  26. Damn it it cut me off

That there are mental health professionals who are not scientologists but do oppose aspects of psychiatry such as forced drugging in nursing homes and foster care homes, court mandated electroshock therapy (ect, and yes I know modern ect is done under sedation but it still causes loss of longterm memories), and heavy neuroleptic regiments that cause parkinsons like symptoms. Scientologists are wackos, but that doesn't mean psychiatry is all puppies and roses.