Customize

Scilon posts a threat to anonymous on ARS - read and report!

Discussion in 'News and Current Events' started by Oinkertron9000, Feb 22, 2008.

1. sortanonymous Member

Re: Scilon posts a threat to anonymous on A.R.S

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.reli ... 11da13aff8

tell me if this doesn't work.
  2. Re: Scilon posts a threat to anonymous on ARS - read and report!

Oh, Mr. Newton, I am loling so hard at the rape that is now imminent. Roll for anal circumference?
  3. ANON E MOOSE Member

Re: Scilon posts a threat to anonymous on ARS - read and report!

Oh wow, what a dumb fuck. He probably just threw his life away.

I totally agree. The very best thing we could do is activly and agressivly seek police searches on all protests entering into set protest areas. We request it. Show the shitloads of documents we have. Then its all on the record if anything goes down. No glass bottles. Period.

No honk if you hate signs, all love or object related material, and memes. Then if shit goes down it will look wildly out of place.
  4. tamphex Member

Judging from this individuals post history, in ARS and elsewhere, his intention is to instigate panic & paranoia. While the threat (and it is a threat) should be treated as quite serious & reported, we shouldn't let it interfere with the trusting atmosphere we've all experienced first hand at our pickets. With that said though we do need to remain vigil and aware of our surroundings. Watch each others backs & it'll be smooth sailing all the way.

Also, this guy has been pretty busy over the last 7 hours:
  5. code_red Member

Ugh, what a twit. Firstly, you don't expose your cunning plan all over the internets if you actually want it to work. Secondly, Troll McSciTroll seems to have missed the fact these protests are going to being filmed and photographed ad infitnitum by the attendees and therefore it would probably be quite possible to prove where any projectile did or didn't come from. This is just another desperate attempt to psych us all out. They don't want the Ides to be a success and at this point no doubt thet'll say anything to try and scare people away from attending.
  6. Thetanonymous Member

QFT. If we just keep with the idea of "If anyone does something stupid/illegal, they're instantly going to be called out (or if they start pulling out suspect devices, tackled) by everyone around them." all should be well.
  7. Casper Member

Wait, so they're hiring criminals from another city? I thought we were in every city? Or are they hiring professional criminals from one city over of every major city?
    Geography is failure.
  8. mistegirl Member

Reported
  9. Anon1OfLegion Member

It might not hurt to ask the police to consider bringing a bomb or acellerant sniffing dog just to keep things in the clear.
  10. Amomynous Member

:rofl:
  11. psyborgue Member

Which is why I sort of half-consider the possibility that he was trying to warn us. He could never openly, or intentionally, do it, but he might be able to get away with "accidentally" doing it (without getting R2-45ed by DM). He might not be in a position where he can truly, voluntarily, leave. Maybe he's being stupid on purpose.
  12. anon13 Member

They just can't stand that we are peaceful and obeying the law (post DDoS that is). It's deflating their arguments about us. It's great.

Also:

THIS
  13. technicalfool Member

Don't have to set anything on fire if it's got the right chemicals in it. I won't go into too much detail but it's not hard to have two chemicals mix upon bottle breakage and cause a fire. Or some storm matches taped to the outside of the bottle, like the original molotovs. One quick strike on a rough surface and you've got a good few seconds of burning phosphor on the outside of the bottle. With a bit of luck though, if it was attempted anywhere it'd be by some clueless dipshit who'd stuff a rag into the end, light it and set themselves on fire along with the rag.

Man, Anonymous must be more successful than anyone's dared dream for people to be making these sorts of threats. Maybe someone should keep a few coke+mentos fire extinguishers handy?
  14. tigger Member

This has got to be the lamest attempt to scare us that ever was.

Thanks for the heads-up, Tom! We're still going, only now your evil plan & mustache twirling are foiled!

Anyone seen "The Incredibles"? The bad guy (ironically voiced by Jason Lee) says, "Oh, you got me monologuing!" which always gives the good guys time to foil the evil plans!

CoS does entirely too much "monologuing," which is proof they're bluffing, and trying to frighten us. We call the police, and call their bluff! Simple.
  15. Re: Scilon posts a threat to anonymous on ARS - read and report!

Buildings insurance usually exempts damage caused during civil disobedience so it wouldn't be that cut and dry a claim if it did happen anyway.
  16. shadowcat082 Member

Way over the top. First, that's not going to be effective unless we have a full-on Homeland Security setup at each protest site, which is completely inappropriate, even if it were practical.

Second, we're anonymous. The person asking to search your bag might be a Scilon trying to get clues to your identity. (Many people will be carrying changes of clothing in order to keep OSA from tracking them after the protest.) Worse, the Scilon might try to plant explosives or other fake evidence in your bag while he's "searching" it. The bomb threat may even have been posted so we'll submit to searches without asking too many questions.

DO NOT let anyone other than legitimate law enforcement search you!
  17. ormuzd Member

When we report this we should also include the story of the teen who announced he was going to burn down a Church on gamefaqs before actually doing it. They were unable to stop the first one, so will be more willing to help if you remind them of the damages and that this time it's preventable.

http://wgem.com/News/index.php?ID=21674
  18. Re: Scilon posts a threat to anonymous on ARS - read and report!

CO$ does hire people do to exactly what Tom claims. Will say more on that later, but that claim is not false.

ANON stratedgy against such actions is correct, it is right that this has been reported.
  19. Casper Member

I'm not saying this isn't a cause for concern and shouldn't be reported. I just think it's pretty lol that 'Tom' is trying to make it sound like the CoS is importing crazy "out-of-town criminals with nothing to lose" against a movement that is, in fact, world-wide.
  20. Anonyneko Member

Wait, why did I feel surprised when I heard this?

I mean honestly, movie villains always announce their plans to the protagonists as a "HAHAHA WE'RE GONNA DO THIS AND THERE'S NO WAY YOU CAN STOP US" thing; then they get all surprised when the good guys foil their plots.

And given that the Scilons practice a religion based on a not-even-B-rating fictional piece, why should they behave any differently?
  21. AnonP1ZZ4 Member

And make sure you film them, too. Or get some sort of record.
  22. anon13 Member

I'm not sure if the OSA is ballsy enough to impersonate a police officer, but what is the policy on asking to see a badge/ask for badge numbers? I've heard conflicting opinions on that. Apparently it pisses some officers off, but I think it'd be our right to have a badge number if we get searched, yeah? I've NEVER been in this situation.
  23. UnderToad Member

Just in case anyone is interested, here is the letter I am sending to DHS, ATF and FBI as well as local authorities. It is an example of a very simple, clear message, giving them the background and info they need:

To Whom It May Concern:
    I am very disturbed by a bomb threat made on a computer news group. A man using the name "Tom Newton" refers to peaceful protests scheduled for March 15, 2008 in front of Scientology locations in major cities worldwide. He implies that someone could sabotage the protests by throwing a firebomb and then framing the protesters for the crime. I want to report this and request that it be investigated as a serious and credible terrorist threat.

The threat was made on the Usenet group "alt.religion.scientology" by Tom Newton. Here is a transcript:

[transcript of both key messages here]
  24. Thetanonymous Member

It pisses cops off. Ask for their business card, which will have all the info you need. At the very least, make it pointedly clear to the cop that you're not asking for their badge number because you want to be a dick and report them, it's because the many eerily specific threats floating around make you want to know exactly who you're talking to in case you need to defend yourself against BS lawsuits yaddayaddayadda.
  25. anonymous3347 Member

In a way, I kind of envy Tom Newton. He feels so important. Visits from the police and federal agents will just make him feel even more special. Well, Tom Newton, you will finally get the attention you crave, and the recognition you deserve.
    Cuba is a pretty place, but it's very hot. At least you will have lots of company at Gitmo, and you'll have the chance to talk to a lot of people who have never even heard of Scientology.

:woot: Whee for you.
  26. 00anonyMiss00 Member

Reported to US and Canadian authorities.
  27. Re: Scilon posts a threat to anonymous on ARS - read and report!

Thought:
    So it's been reported. What if madman David Miscavige's (-5? -10?) minions try anyway? So

Idea:
    If minor shit happens, (bull baiting, harassing from them), film and rickroll or bel aire it if it's getting to you.

If major shit happens, (ie, the aformationed threat) everyone SIT DOWN, and STAY STILL. Anyone making a break for it will be VERY clear and VERY obvious. What if they sit down too? Well, then at least it's clear that overall the intention was to not cause harm, and show that Anonymous is meaning SERIOUS BUSINESS in regards to keeping things peaceful. (Not to mention the guilty party probably would be desperate to not stay at the scene. I mean, hell, if they're HIRING criminals to help them, gotta wonder how loyal they are to their payrolls.) And film EVERY momment of the protest. Wouldn't it be something for Anonymous to bust out the evidance that reveal this sort of dirty trick onto YouTube?

Critique?
  28. XenuChan Member

This.
    I could imagine him trying to convert all the radical muslims to scientology...
  29. Anon3Mouse Member

Disclaimer: I'm -only- saying this as a 'just in case', I agree it's likely a troll, but with the document moving and everything else, I don't want to take the chance no matter how slim it may be. And to the partyvan that we know is watching, I've never actually done any of this, outside of tiny lab experiments when I was much younger just to see the science of it. I had a paranoid old Great Uncle from Ireland who, in his twilight years, felt it necessary that I learn these things being last male of the line and all. Being as he could crack walnuts with his bicep at the age of 94, I wasn't going to tell him no. Also, I am admittedly paranoid regarding all this, I have a tendency to expect the worst all the damn time.

Okay, so this whole post is with the assumption that the above is real. Here is my advice:

1: -IF- something happens, it is important that the crowd does not panic and scatter. I understand how difficult that is, but they will require a panicked crowd to make their escape in. Frankly even that idea is retarded, as the posting of the threat on the Internet means escape routes would be watched just as closely as the crowd. Still, Anon can help by dropping to the ground, immediately, and waiting for the orders of law enforcement officials. It will very likely suck as everyone there will probably be questioned and detained. Just do as you're told, don't be dicks about it, even if you are there for five hours.

2: At the least, in the major cities where 250+ are expected, get in touch with local law enforcement beforehand. Especially in the two cities where we have proof of them moving documents (I'm with Arnie on this one, those two orgs do not generate that much paperwork for a quarterly shredding). Explain that you feel a possible threat to the protests in the form of agitators, and you would greatly appreciate as much aid as they can provide (most of these local PDs don't have the kind of manpower to frisk everyone for a public protest). Try to avoid the whole conspiracy side of it, only bring up Fair Game, Operation Freakout and so on if they ask you to explain further why you feel it's a credible threat.

3: Be aware of your surroundings. This should be basic, but when everyone's having a good time and feeling great about all the people there, you tend to lose some of your sharpness. If your city's protest is really organized (LA is an excellent example), have a couple of Anons set up beforehand to simply walk up and through the crowd, keeping an eye on the people in it. I'll put examples of things to look for at the bottom. Much like the Anons that were handing out water, hell you can do both at the same time. Whoever's meant for this -must- be able to avoid distraction, and must be able to see as much with a glance as they could with a five second stare. If there are any amiable Anonitanks amongst your group, this would be a good job for them. If you're protest isn't quite as organized, then someone can take it upon themselves to fulfill this role, so long as the vast majority of the protesters remain protesting. We'd kinda look retarded if everyone was looking at everyone else. Also, for the Anons that take up this responsibility, don't underestimate the creepiness of those Guy Fawkes masks. Every non-Anon I've shown them to has commented on how creepy they are.

4: Once again, -IF- you should notice someone in the crowd whip out a 40oz. with a rag, my advice would be to not try and tackle him/her. If they are willing to lob a firebomb, assume they are also armed and willing to harm those trying to stop them. Your goal is to direct as much attention as possible on -them- not you. Yell out "GET DOWN" and start grabbing the Anon's next to you and dropping. This leaves the jackass either only one of a few still standing, or crouched with the incriminating evidence. As a side note to this, if you are a smoker, step away from the crowd for your smoke break. We are all getting a little paranoid here (it's just part of being human, and is healthy in small doses), don't need false alarms raised because you flicked your Bic.

What to look for, possible ways they may try this:

The first thing to look for in terms of an instigator amongst the protest would be people that aren't having fun. I've seen the videos, everyone was having a blast from what was shown. These will not be Agent 47 style professionals, they're much more likely to be pulled from crimanon, or those who were in crimanon. Odds are, they'll be real nervous. Granted, we'll likely have ex-Scientologists there as well who'll look equally nervous, so you can't have that as your only way of marking an instigator, but it does help narrow the field. Don't try and shut people out, those who seem nervous, try and engage them in conversation, good lines of conversation to draw them to would be the reason why they decided to come to the protest. Hopefully, if you do this to an instigator, he'll get nervous enough to abandon the plan and get outta Dodge. Those who's replies (or lack thereof) strike you as odd, keep in mind. Shoes and body shape are a great way of keeping track of who's who as you keep the list in your head. You're not so much listening to what they're saying, but rather how they say it. Almost every other Anon I've talked to has been clearly passionate about their own personal reason for getting involved, I'm sure most of us can point to specific and detailed reasons. If they sound real passive about it, or try and brush it off, keep it in mind. It is also very important to not be hostile, accusing or otherwise antagonistic. You're not there to drive people away or make them feel scrutinized, you are there in order to make sure everyone's having a good time that's really all you're doing. The bond most Anons have with other Anons is really pretty damned amazing, and it's the greatest shield we have.

If you are going to undertake this responsibility, you absolutely must be able to avoid distractions. I don't care if L.Ron Hubbard himself coalesces in front of the protesters with Overlord Xenu holding a leash, your eyes are on the crowd at all times. Now I know this will be a real bitch with everyone wearing masks and sunglasses, but if possible, when speaking to someone, position yourself so that they are facing behind you, and maintain eye contact. Watch their eyes for reactions, as their reaction will clue you to the need to turn around and see what they're looking at. Above all, remain calm and friendly. We -must- hold to the ideal and presumption that everyone there is there for the right reasons, no matter how suspicious they may seem. I cannot stress enough the need to be friendly, and the need to go into this assuming nothing will happen. And realize you have no real authority, so don't try and push people around.

With that said, here's my answer to the quoted post above and thoughts on how they could try and pull it off.

There is not necessarily going to be a link to the makers and those using the firebombs. One group could make them, while a second, separate group uses them. In addition, a firebomb could be a whole lot of things, but there's always three basic components; Fuel, Ignition Source, Container. No matter how high-tech or low-tech it is, it will have those three every time. Fuel could be a whole lot of things that I'm damned sure the partyvan would be pissed if I got into detail about, and really, it's just too many options. Ignition Source is the same, there's more than just the rag in the bottleneck, and most are innocuous until used. So what to look out for would be the Container, as that really limits their options.

Glass bottles are the most obvious thing to watch for. Thankfully, people shouldn't be tossing back the brews at the protests, so no one should have any glass bottles. Plastic bottles, not so likely. Two-liter bottles are more likely, but still not so much. The only other one I can think of that they might use would be a hard plastic thermos, but glass bottles are the best bet in my opinion. I don't think they'll do anything beyond the most basic thing, since the more complex the greater the chance of getting caught.

Now from a tactical standpoint, this whole idea is completely fucking retarded. Doing this shit in broad daylight, with cops all over, and previous warning given damn near assures Failure. In no way does the reward they could get come anywhere near the risk they take since it would promise the partyvan's involvement on a level they really don't want. But, they are batshit insane, and apparently train OSA goons to think they're fucking James Bond, so if they do try it, their best bet of success is the good old fashioned distraction. Everyone looks one way while the instigators light up and throw. The way I imagine they would accomplish this is by having someone go right up to the line of Anons and start yelling and drawing attention, like the woman who spat on the guy in LA (or maybe that was Hollywood). While the Scilon has everyone's attention in a spat with an Anon, the instigators do their thing, and the Church paints it as "This poor individual goes to defend her religion, and their response is firebombs! Look how persecuted we are! Look at Tom Cruise cry in a very manly fashion!" This is why it's important for those who decide to keep an eye out to not get distracted. If a commotion starts up, you should looking everywhere but the source of the commotion. It is again important to remember that even at this point, you must continue to assume every Anon there is there for the right reasons, and if you do see someone pull a bottle and rag out, just get everyone down so they stand out.

Finally, I want to stress again how incredibly unlikely firebombing from within the crowd would be. Really, it's just a fucking retarded idea, It is most likely a very poor attempt at sowing fear amongst those going to the protest, and creating an environment of distrust. An attempt to turn our Anonymity against us, or even a piss-poor attempt to get the protests shut down by claiming they're a public safety risk. If they do torch their own buildings, they'll most likely do it before or after the protests, all the easier to claim it was a lone Anon, with security camera footage of someone in a Guy Fawkes' mask sneaking around. So don't let this horseshit keep you from going to the protests, Stay On Target, and laugh when the toasters get v& for messing with football.

Now after putting actual consideration into thinking that they would be that stupid, I need a drink.
  30. Jack Parsons Member

Not wanting to sabotage the serious counterrorism business, but... honestly, as Smart Glasses Lady Magoo said on another thread, paranoia is a much bigger threat to us than $cilon IRL black ops. All these intense security measures that people are talking about would not only kill all the LULZ of the protest/raids, but make us look like a bunch of nutters to the public.

I would suggest that at every raid, we follow this policy:

1) tell the cops we're protesting.
    2) give the cops on the scene a printout of Tom Newton's posts.
    3) forget about it.
  31. Peter Schilte Member

I popsted this on OCMB too:
  32. tamphex Member

Anon3Mouse, appreciate the effort you've put into that post. Some great information & suggestions for handling any situation that may arise (I'm still keeping my faith that it won't & the pickets will carry on as peaceful as always). However perhaps gone a little far in with the description of options for the possible container & general make up of a home made Molotov cocktail. I'm not going to edit your post as I think thats disrespectful, and will leave it to you to edit where you feel necessary.

Again, as I said, fantastic post and I'm sure the whole community would agree with the content you've shared.

Remember, the ARS posting is a tactic purely to incite paranoia & dissent amongst us - be wary but not distracted.
  33. Anon21 Member

the downshot is that that local law enforcement or other officials could pull the plug on a protest if they feel it has a valid saftey concern.

ours is to co-operate with Authorities...not do their job for them.

ragarding the threat at hand... in some locals the very concept Tom McFAIL threated is fail from letter 1.

take the Dallas Co$ org... given the topography, not even *insert effective NFL quarterback here* could manage to chuck a petrol bomb from the protest side of the street and land anywhere NEAR the $cilons building.

while not wishing to downplay OSA threats and indimidation... we are more concerned with newfag retards and upstarts causing problems....
    but thats just us....most in this cluster are old enough now to complain about kids, lawns.... etc.

also...

Don't accept Water/Gatorade...whatever from an Anon you DO NOT KNOW unless the tamper seal is still intact...conversely do not hand out any beverages unless the seal is intact.

and regarding LawEnforcement ... one need not ASK for a badge number... it should be ON THE BADGE.
    as well as a name tag on a Uniformed Officer...

what I would be warry of, is if someone has DOHS credentials... if presented with those, politely ask to speak to a Uniformed Police Officer who can verify the authenticity of the DOHS person.
    its a resonable request.
  34. Anon3Mouse Member

You have my full permission to edit away as you see fit tamphex, I won't take any offense. I tried to avoid as much practical information as possible, but my perspective is likely skewed on what I consider to be "Shit people generally know".

My goal wasn't to spread paranoia or dissent, just point out the middle ground between ignoring it completely and trying to frisk people and shit. Accepting and preparing for the possibility, despite the unlikeliness.
  35. Re: Scilon posts a threat to anonymous on ARS - read and report!

great idea. i will include that in the next video.
  36. tamphex Member

Good point and upon reading it from that perspective, I think its fine as it is. I certainly hope my comment about paranoia or dissent wasn't taken as directed to you; not at all. If so, I apologize for the misdirection.
  37. a-non-lawyer Member

This should be linked or re-posted in the Mar. 15th protest forum and on the wiki. The people organizing each protest should have someone volunteer to call the police a few days beforehand, pass along the information, and remind them of what's going on. No big deal, but it's important that this get done in advance because after the fact, if something actually happens, will be a shitstorm to clean up.

And for the love of Raptor Jesus, if something does happen don't panic: everybody just stop what they're doing and if the blackhat actor can be identified, help the police ensure that they are detained.
  38. technicalfool Member

^^^ That.
  39. a-non-lawyer Member

^^ SRSLY. If someone is seen lighting something like that up, everybody should just back the hell away, get the police, and make sure the actor doesn't hurt anyone.
  40. anonymous3347 Member

:tinfoil: :secret: Perhaps it would be a good idea to NOT have candles at 3/15? I know that there was talk of a candle-lighting for all the victims of the CoS. Candles are pretty and all, have a reverent angle, and make for nice fuzzy pictures, but I'm thinking that any source of open flame might be too open for mis-interpretation.

If there are faithAnons who want to light candles at church or at home, go for it. But let's not do any candles at the demonstrations.