Customize

Scilons in Mexico broadcasting TWTH on State TV?

Discussion in 'CoS Front Groups' started by OTBT, Aug 12, 2010.

1. OTBT Member

Scilons in Mexico broadcasting TWTH on State TV?

Google Translate pretty much massacres this Mexican newspaper article. If I understand it correctly, it sounds like scientology is broadcasting "The Way To Happiness" promo on Mexican State run TV, channel 34. I'm not sure, though. Can any Spanish speaking anons clear this up?

CIENCIOLOGÍA:

Google Translate

2. andonanon Member

Re: Scilons in Mexico broadcasting TWTH on State TV?

Thats a lot of stuff to translate.

I was most interested in the part where they said the church earns about 6 million pesos per year. Thats only 470,000 dollars. Yet they spent 10 million on the building.

I remember when Scientology had an org in the Zona Rosa in D.F. in the mid eighties. It was a pretty nice old mansion...I think it was around Londres or Niza Streets off of Reforma. They were gone in the nineties.

They are up to their usual attempts to attempt to piggyback on the local problem du jour. Drug violence in Juarez, social inequality in Oaxaca.
  3. andonanon Member

Also interested in the numbers claimed for the WTH campaign in Colombia. Colombia's population is estimated about 45 million. They claim to have to have delivered 10 million copies of WTH in just a few cities. Their numbers say about almost one in four people in the country got the book....without Bogota, Medellin and Barranquilla, which combined have about 1/3 the population of the whole country....ridiculous. Santa Marta, 385,000. Cali 2,200,000. Cartagena 1,200,000.
  4. Tofuman666 Member

I wonder how much they paid the Mexican Government for this?
  5. Anonymous Member

mexico is cheap
  6. mnql1 Member

I will post a revised translation of the article when time permits.

The article says that the CoS has been airing commercials defending the Universal Declaration of Human Rights on Channel 34, which belongs to Mexico State.

I tuned in online at the link below and stumbled upon a short commercial showing one of the articles of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, followed by a URL to Juventud por los Derechos Humanos (Youth for Human Rights).

Link to Channel 34 online (Real Player required):

TV en línea

Alternative link:

rtsp://televisionmexiquense.edomexico.gob.mx/broadcast/television.rm
  7. xenubarb Member

Surely "derecho" doesn't mean right like in human rights? I wouldn't bet my mano derecho on it though...
  8. andonanon Member

Derechos humanos = human rights.

It can also mean "the law" like "I went to school to study law."

Diccionario de la lengua española - Vigésima segunda edición

BTW its mano derecha (feminine). :)
  9. mnql1 Member

Here is a revised translation of the article in the OP.

Source: CIENCIOLOGÍA: ‘Camino a la felicidad’

(First published by El Universal: Desde las tripas de la iglesia de la Cienciología - El Universal - Sociedad)

10. OTBT Member

mnql1, thanks for the translation. (Jeez, how many languages do you speak?)

Funny how scilons covertly threaten that if they are not granted religious status in Mexico, then other groups will need to have their religious status canceled. And scilons are up front about lusting after tax exempt status.
  11. andonanon Member

If you divide the 6 million pesos they claim to earn a year among the 120 "reverends" that comes to 50,000 pesos per "reverend". That is less than $4,000 USD per "reverend" per year to live on.

That's before deducting other expenses like utilities and all that fabulous charitable work they claim to do.

Another way to look at is that the six million pesos divided among their 5,500 parishioners is about 1100 pesos per parishioner per year. In other words their own members seem to think the help they get from the cult is worth contributing about $86 USD per year, based on these numbers.

Either the cult is almost worthless, their stats are almost worthless....or both.