Customize

Sea Org Navy uniform clone illegal?

Discussion in 'Projects' started by isupeonedDavidmiscaviage, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Sea Org Navy uniform clone illegal?

This thread on copyright infringements brought up a concept by anon poster I think is well worth further hive input.

Basically the question of legality in using military uniforms in organizations.

A quick check on military law found HERE does actually suggest it is illegal.

Section 771:
    There are exceptions to this law such as
    772 (j):

That would exclude military contractors and boy scouts as excluded.

773:
    That would exclude state training.

Further, Army regulation 670-1
    As in the case of CO$ using the uniform to instal a false belief that the Sea Org is associated with the military in any way and also to profit from that illusion i think there is a very good case for prosecution. If put appropriately before ex-servicemen and women this could be harpoon-able.

Discuss...
  2. ryangiggs Member

Re: Sea Org Navy uniform clone illegal?

Hmmn.
    Lulzy Sea Org recruitment posters pasted as close as possible to Navy recruitment centres.
    That would go over a treat.
    (Something I thought about a while back).
  3. Sponge Member

4. ryangiggs Member

[IMG]
    ^
    Esp. for Sponge
  5. Re: Sea Org Navy uniform clone illegal?

Wrong child-abusing, homophobic, tax-dodging sect ;)
  6. Sponge Member

LOL

a3ha9i.jpg

I feel sure this topic has been done to death a couple of times before.

The point is: One law for all.
    If the sally army can get away with wearing military-esque uniforms and even calling itself an "army" all these years then there is nothing you can do about scientology and its "sea org" so long as they go no further. It seems they aren't taking too many chances and in more recent years they've really toned down what they wear in public and at events.

I'm not sure about the heavy usage in promotional/recruitment materials but since the laws quoted in the OP refer to wearing of military uniforms I assume it means in public. Even if what they were doing behind closed was illegal then I don't know how you'd get an agency to investigate that. Hell, they won't even investigate after DM's beatings, human trafficking and coerced abortions etc have been blasted all over the press.

If you've watched anonsparrow's videos a lot then you catch quite a lot of sea orgers coming out of the DC org in various strengths of uniform. No caps, no shiny buttons or insignia on jackets and, at the most, just some undecorated epaulettes and maybe some single piece of braided drapery or a chain. Nothing that a passing battle-scarred ex-grunt would suddenly feel his arm twitching with the urge to salute at.
    Clearwater anons can maybe confirm what the norm is since that place probably has more visible sea orgers per acre than anywhere.
  7. DeathHamster Member

I thought this thread was asking if it would be illegal to scrounge the surplus stores and assemble a fake Sea Org uniform. (Or would that be a fake fake uniform?)

SDGGWh.jpg
    ACU Patrol Hat - Uncle Sams Army Navy Outfitters
  8. Anonymous Member

I've always thought this would be a lulzy idea, not to mention that it could cause confusion amongst scilons and sea ogres- it'd be fun to wear "sea org" costume and march into an org and start yelling at scilons!
  9. Re: Sea Org Navy uniform clone illegal?

IIRC, this has been done at least once.

The story I heard goes that a couple of exes in full Sea Org regalia marched into an org in mainland Europe, claiming to be from the US. They immediately started giving orders (which were obeyed) and walked out with a briefcase full of OT Dox.
  10. Re: Sea Org Navy uniform clone illegal?

If these guys can get away with it:
    US Service Command. Then i guess anybody can.
  11. AnonKat Member

sailors.jpg
  12. DeathHamster Member

Nah, too much possibility of backlash and becoming another an Pubes.

Just standing outside is good enough. If they think the uniform is "real", then they'll probably report to the police that you stole it.
    http://forums.whyweprotest.net/24-f...scilons-file-false-report-agt-nyc-anon-65776/
  13. AnonKat Member

Than there will be a backlash at putting in a false report on them.
  14. failboat Member

thanks OP for making this a new thread.

thanks, sponge, for the salvation army example. and for saying "one law for all."

OP is probably right, it is illegal in the letter of the law.

but it sure hasn't stopped cruise lines, airlines, private security, civilian paramilitary organizations/clubs (militias), the salvation army, and many more from wearing fancy martial uniforms that bear a resemblance to those worn by the U.S. military.

we all know what the authorities look like when they try to enforce the law selectively. we cherish equality before the law.

[ i promise i won't fag up this thread like i did the last one. this is my last word on the subject ]
  15. anonsoldier Member

Yeah, not exactly a high priority for the federal government, cracking down on agencies using military-esque uniforms. Useful as a way of conveying to military folks how fucked up the cult is, and very important to remind folks that L Ron Hubbard lied about his war record (Remember the MOAA article??) as that ticks a lot of servicemembers off.

But getting the feds involved over uniforms ain't gonna happen unless the Sea Org actually starts trying to pretend it IS the Navy or something along those lines. When that happens, you've got a fair shot.

Mainly, the law exists to prevent people from falsely claiming they're in the military or affiliated with it when they aren't. You can wear camouflage everything, run around in a militia, and have fancy medals and ribbons and crap. Just so long as you aren't claiming to actually BE Airborne qualified, a recipient of the Army Commendation Medal, or a Captain/Sergeant/whatever, etc. Those are strict no-no's.

Also, the Salvation Army has a very distinct set of regalia that shares no common traits with the US Army uniforms, other than they are both military-esque. The key phrase in the law is DISTINCTIVE, namely things recognized as military heraldry.
  16. TypingChimp Member

It only ticks them off enough to have successfully gotten the definition of the crime of "stolen valor" expanded. IOW, not very much at all. As much as I love free speech, I'm disgusted by the court challenge to the Stolen Valor Act of 2005. Fraud is not protected free speech, and it is my deepest regret it is only a misdemeanor instead of a Class D felony.

Hell, it pisses ME off, and I've never been in the military. Still, I have enough ancestors and other kin who were that I will not tolerate that type of dishonor.
  17. anoninoob Member

[IMG]
  18. anoninoob Member

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InBXu-iY7cw]YouTube - In the Navy[/ame]
  19. Re: Sea Org Navy uniform clone illegal?

I think the law is truly concerned about impersonation and the main thing in the law seems to be the copying of medals and other insignia which i gather the salvos don't do. Army people hate it when someone else wears their uniform who doesn't deserve it. I still think this has legs but maybe at another time.
  20. Anonymous Member

euyEp.jpg
  21. eddieVroom Member

As I recall, we were told that for civilian wear, Army Surplus had to have name tags and insignia removed. Personally, I wore an old field jacket with my stuff still on it for years, nobody cared. And I've seen plenty of Navy Surplus around too.

If, OTOH, you were to put on a fake uniform and try to board the Noocleer Wessels, I'd expect a very different resonse, and I'm sure they'd tack the time on your sentence just to be thorough.
  22. anoninoob Member

sexy+sailors.jpg

Reason Tom Cruz isn't in the Sea Org?!?
  23. AnonKat Member

Do you wanna earn this boy
  24. Alpha Bates Member

davey.jpg
  25. AIN Member

the law is designed to prevent impersonation of servicemen and the like.
  26. DCB