Customize

Second Chance Albuquerque flyer

Discussion in 'Think Tank' started by MSAnon505, Sep 22, 2010.

1. MSAnon505 Member

Second Chance Albuquerque flyer

It was proposed in another thread that ABQAnon print up a flyer on Second Chance for our future raids. I have a preliminary draft, and I would like to put it out for perusal and any constructive input (as I'm sure something was either missed or could be improved upon)

-----------------------------------------

The Truth About Second Chance

What is Second Chance?

The Second Chance program is a controversial drug rehab program based on the tenets of Scientology and its founder, science-fiction writer L. Ron Hubbard. While they claim to be unaffiliated with the Church itself, the centerpiece of their “treatment” deals with the usage of saunas and dangerous levels of vitamins- Scientology’s “Purification Rundown”.

What does this have to do with Albuquerque?

In September of 2006, the program found its way to the Duke City, housing itself in an old jail facility on the city’s west side under the guise of rehabilitating low-risk offenders of their chemical dependencies. They managed to secure nearly $1.5 MILLION dollars in government funding- although how much of that they actually managed to wrangle out of the unsuspecting taxpayers is still somewhat of a mystery.

The organization’s controversy only continued to grow when it was revealed that a convicted former New Mexico judge had been hired to lobby New Mexico judges to refer inmates to the program. While many judges balked at the idea, some still bought into the act and sent offenders to this facility. But it turns out that Second Chance wasn’t living up to their agreement....

In December of 2008, it was discovered that Second Chance violated its lease by housing violent inmates and felons- acting more like a jail overflow facility than a drug treatment operation as they had claimed. In addition, they had made modifications to the building itself- installing a sauna for the inmates (as required for the Purification Rundown). Investigations were started by city officials, who came to the only inevitable conclusion- Second Chance had to go. They were served with a notice of eviction and given one month to pack up and leave town. Well, they left town, all right. They packed up and left in the middle of the night, gutting the facility and leaving not only an empty building, but a $672,000 bill they left the city, state and the IRS on the hook for in unpaid rent, utility bills and tax liens.

What did the management have to say?

Nobody knows. The directors of the program, Joy Westrum and her husband, Rick Pendery, have been awfully quiet about things. Local news outlets attempted on numerous occasions to get answers, but they chose not to comment. If they’ve got nothing to hide, why not go public and actually answer the questions? Although, it is interesting to add, Ms. Westrum denied that Second Chance was a front for Scientology, even though virtually every aspect of the program came straight from the playbook of L. Ron Hubbard. Another interesting note is the claim that was made by Second Chance of a 80-90% success rate- a figure grossly exaggerated in actual studies, where the true success rate is exponentially lower than what Westrum and Pendery claimed.

What’s being done about Second Chance? Will the city ever get its money back?

Good question. To our knowledge, the issue has not been raised to Mayor Berry- yet. State officials have also not stated whether or not they will pursue any sort of legal action against Second Chance.

For more information, visit these source links.

Second Chance Program - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    KRQE News 13: Drug-rehab deal linked to politics, Scientology | Scientology Lies
    City pulls plug on Second Chance
  2. Anonymous Member

Re: Second Chance Albuquerque flyer

The line:
    "Another interesting note is the claim that was made by Second Chance of a 80-90% success rate- a figure grossly exaggerated in actual studies, where the true success rate is exponentially lower than what Westrum and Pendery claimed."
    makes it sound as if the studies are the place where the success rate is exagerated.
    Perhaps change it to:
    Another interesting note is the claim that was made by Second Chance of a 80-90% success rate- a figure found to be grossly exaggerated by independent studies which determined the true success rate is exponentially lower than Westrum and Pendery claimed.

In fact, I remember reading one study that found the success rate of Second Chance was actually lower than doing nothing at all to attempt rehabilitation.
  3. xenubarb Member

Proposed additions in bold italix, above.
  4. Anonymous Member

Nice work 505 and nice additions XB.
    "tales of the debacle in New Mexico followed, and Hawaiian legislatures"
    should probably be,
    "tales of the debacle in New Mexico followed, and Hawaiian legislators"
  5. Anonymous Member

Source?
  6. xenubarb Member

7. xenubarb Member

Agreed.
  8. RightOn Member

nice work guise
  9. Anonymous Member

Too much "leaving" and "left". Change to:

"...and leaving not only an empty building, but a $672,000 bill from the city, state..."

Other than that, excellent. Needs moar sauce, though. And pooper.
  10. xenubarb Member

A selection of sauces can be found at the end of the arkle.
  11. MSAnon505 Member

Thanks for the input, everyone. I think we've got a winner on our hands here.
  12. Bipolart Member

ffy
  13. BigBeard Member

Might want to point out when they "...left the building empty" it wasn't that way when they moved in. Part of what they packed up and took with them were fixtures that were part of the building facilities, and not Second Chance's property.

BigBeard
  14. Fear Not Member

and the amount of money they snatched from the State

lol
    good for Hawaii

does this site have spell checker?

ah fuck it
  15. AnonyMary Member

16. moarxenu Member

I don't know iwhere the$600+K fits in I heard Joy Westrum skipped out on. If that is still an issue it could be effectively added. Numbers are good to put on fliers.
  17. AnonyMary Member

Well, IIRC, that figure came from some article about the lease they had with the city but they may have settled with them before it got to court since then. I have never seen a court doc on that figure but there could be one in another court, like municipal court. I just haven't seen it.

I know they just settled with someone who sued the company and some on-call doctor for personal injury :

D-202-CV-200902828 Judge CARL J BUTKUS 03/11/2009 ALBUQUERQUE DISTRICT TORT:pERSONAL INJURY NON AUTO
    03/11/2009 1 OPN: COMPLAINT CVB:SETTLED/STIPULATED JUDGMNT
    03/11/2009 1 OPN: COMPLAINT CVB:SETTLED/STIPULATED JUDGMNT 08/19/2010
    08/19/2010 Party Name Party Type Party #
    SECOND CHANCE CENTER D 1
    PENDERY RODERICK D 2
    WESTRUM JOY D 3
    DOCTOR ON CALL D 4
    VIGIL JOHN R D 5
    MELENDREZ JEREMY P 1
    ----------------------
    FYI:
    SECOND CHANCE CENTER - NEW MEXICO, LLC
    New Mexico Domestic Limited Liability Company
    Non-Profit-Exempt
    SECOND CHANCE CENTER - NEW MEXICO, LLC New Mexico Domestic Limited Liability Company
  18. ethercat Member

Good work! With your permission, I'd like to use some of your text as a page to be linked from this Narconon page: Narconon

About 2/3 down the page is a section on "Criminon, Second Chance, and other Narconon affiliates," which is where I'd like to link it from. Would that be alright with you?

Mary, I've already added a link to your scribd document to the page.
  19. MSAnon505 Member

If it gets the word out about these guys and brings some extra unwanted pressure on Scientology and Second Chance, then go for it! I'm just glad I could come up with something halfway decent that worked (especially considering it's the first time I've tried doing something like this)
  20. ethercat Member

TY, MSAnon505.
  21. AnonyMary Member

Thanks, ethercat! I owe you a call.
  22. urbanhawk Member

The study of which i believe you are talking about was done by the university of new mexico
  23. Anonymous Member

Very nice.
  24. xenubarb Member

I question the use of 'exponential' in this case.
  25. Anonymous Member

That word always makes me think of Davey. Yuk
  26. MSAnon505 Member

Perhaps "substantially" or "dramatically"?
  27. ethercat Member

That was way better than halfway decent. You did great! I combined your text and the suggestions with the small bit that we already had on the Narconon page, and did a little bit of rewording, here: Criminon Second Chance

I used "far" - "...the true success rate is far lower..."

You have a credit and a thank you, here: Criminon Second Chance page added to the portal

And it's linked from this page: Narconon

Thanks again, MSAnon505, and thank you to the people who made suggestions!
  28. Bipolart Member

We are go. Copies will be made by Friday.

Win.
  29. Triumph Member

Corrections Director Jackie Crawford | Associated Press Connections | Russell Suggs Businessman | Church of Scientology
    Corrections Director Jackie Crawford | Associated Press Connections | Russell Suggs Businessman | Church of Scientology | A Complete Educational News Portal

you may also want to Note : Pendery and Westrum put out twice monthly press releases ..asking for donations and contributions..and use the pretext that the Programs in Mexico and the New Mexico Program are running and successful,as if nothing happened. and that it is business as usual

never-mind the programs Do Not exist.

which is fraudulent to say the least.

seems to be Randall Suggs and /or Russell Suggs
    Nevada Assemblywoman reveals trip sponsor 2003
    http://www.holysmoke.org/narconon/narconon-nevada-sponsor.htm
  30. DeathHamster Member

Rick Pendery let his Internet domain lapse, and then bought it back again last year. And it's lapsed again.

Before the plug gets pulled, I thought I'd back up the two blog entries here.
    Hey dummy, the next time that your mind is racing, try putting it in gear and take the parking brake off!
    Code:
    http://www.rickpendery.net
    • Like Like x 1
  31. DeathHamster Member

His horrible writing style reminded me of something else I'd read years ago, and I finally remembered it. On re-reading, not really, but sort of...

I had fun marking up the text, click on the boxes to see my comments.
    http://umbraxenu.no-ip.biz/PylonReader.html#TheCud
    • Like Like x 1