Customize

Senator Xenophon says the cult's days are numbered . . .

Discussion in 'Media' started by BLiP, May 26, 2011.

1. BLiP Member

http://au.todaytonight.yahoo.com/article/9525609/general/church-scientology-review

" . . . this (an official Charities Commission) could save the tax payer tens if not hundreds of millions of dollars . . . this is about ensuring that an organisation doesn't cause more harm than good and be able to get a tax-free status for it . . . I think their days are numbered. They can't continue to do business as usual and continue wrecking lives because this Charities Commission will give a whole new level of scrutiny and accountability that is long overdue . . . "

[IMG]

L E G E N D
    (Hat Tip Scoots on ESMB)
    • Like Like x 31
  2. RightOn Member

nice!!!
    hope the US is paying attention!
    And I hope Xenophon is aware of all the COS front groups
    • Like Like x 2
  3. thefatman Member

This... Made... My... Week...

FUCK YEAH!
    • Like Like x 1
  4. afternon Member

Baddaboom..I mean..Wham, there ya go!
    • Like Like x 3
  5. Krautfag Member

• Like Like x 4
  6. amaX Member

Strong and steady. Well done, Senator Xenophon and the Aussie Government!
  7. subgenius Member

THIS is a man.
    • Like Like x 4
  8. AuntAnonymous Member

Wonderful job by the TodayTonight team and Senator Xenophon.
    He summed it up nicely when he said business as usual for the cult is wrecking lives.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. SOJOA Member

I do hope this happens in the US.

This is great.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Anonymous Member

Hey US Government!
    Why is AU willing to find away to bring in billions of more dollars in tax revenue by forming a Charity Review commission, but the US could care less?
    • Like Like x 1
  11. MSAnon505 Member

Perhaps a fresh round of harpoonage might be in order to light a fire under some US Congressional asses? Think about it for a second... (inb4NYPA) what's one of the main reasons something like this hasn't been done here? Is it because the politicians don't give a damn? Maybe. But with an election on the horizon, that might just be something that can change. Or maybe it's because all these new politicians that just got their jobs this year haven't been fully briefed on the situation.

Look at our Aussie friends.. they got the job done because they persevered. They found someone in the government willing to stand with them. They never gave up. And look where it's gotten them. What have we as Americans done to emulate their example? Besides the handful of people who show up at the raids, what are we doing? Are we looking for our Xenophon, or are we sitting back and just waiting for one to magically appear? We've become complacent. The Aussies refused to, and look at the end result down there.

While something along the same lines in the US might not make a huge dent in our national debt, it would definitely save some countless billions of dollars. Maybe it's worth bringing to Congress. Hell, anything that'll save them a few billion a year is bound to raise at least one eyebrow. Maybe it'll work, maybe it won't. But we're not going to know for sure if we don't give a serious try.

There are those who make things happen, those who watch things happen and those who wonder what the hell just happened. Which one are you?
    • Like Like x 7
  12. Anonymous Member

Massive ongoing bribery or blackmail by the mafia cult?
  13. RightOn Member

Ortega?
    maybe he can ask publically ask WHY the US is not following suit?
  14. xenubarb Member

We had Congressman Leo J. Ryan, but a cult killed him. Haven't had a hero since. Not even the office holder who was gunned down with Ryan in Guiana. She's got the knowledge of destructive cults, but won't do much. Ida was disappointed in her.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Anonymous Member

Ahrrrrgggh .... I came!
  16. Anonymous Member

I LOVES YOU, NICK!!!1!
  17. Anonymous Member

Nick Xenophon is THE Man.
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Rheinländer Member

• Like Like x 7
  19. Anonymous Member

• Like Like x 1
  20. tippytoe Member

I know that US Senator Al Franken (D-Minnesota), who is also a member of the powerful Senate Judiciary Committee, is very interested in the problem of Human Trafficking, both international and domestic:

His website: http://franken.senate.gov/

• Like Like x 12
  21. BigBeard Member

'Pooned the local Congress critters again re: Charity Commision instead of leaving it up to the IRS to decides who or what's a charity. Also pointed out there's an election coming up, and people in my neck of the woods are NOT happy with the special tax breaks $cientology gets that legitimate churches don't. Especially with the economic situation being what it is.

BigBeard
    • Like Like x 13
  22. CarterUSP Member

All it take to defeat evil these days is a handful of people with BIG CLANKING IRON BALLS. I salute Xenophon.
    • Like Like x 3
  23. tippytoe Member

australians.jpg
    • Like Like x 4
  24. Miranda Member

Gorgeous. Thanks to Nick Xenophon, Channel 7, TINYDANCER and everyone else who made this happen. Wonderful!
    • Like Like x 5
  25. the anti Member

sadly, some are to busy trying to ban abortions and medicare
    • Like Like x 1
  26. Herro Member

He keeps talking a big game of shit, but nothing ever seems to come of it. Politics as usual.
  27. Sponge Member

The win is real and in the process of being delivered.

Since day one, when Xenophon spoke out against the cult scientology for the first time in his senate speech under parliamentary privilege, and despite all the hurdles put in his way, he has been consistently persistent in delivering.
    He changed tac from a specific inquiry into scientology, after some kneejerked into seeing it as an attack on "religion", to a more broad overhaul and improvement of charitable tax exemption (with scientology and other cult scams very much in mind).
    He got the senate inquiry.
    He got the Charities Commission.
    Scientology as a "charitable" organisation will be investigated.
    If Australia applies the same "Good vs. harm" and public benefit tests that the England & Wales Charities Commission does then they will lose their charitable tax exemption there too. It's even worse for them in Australia than in the UK because the current rules in Australia have essentially allowed them to run a tax-free for profit business alongside their default exempt "religious" organisation for many years
    Likely result: Loss of "government approved" or perceived legtimacy and loss of income.

What is so difficult for you to understand about this?
    • Like Like x 9
  28. exOT8Michael Member

• Like Like x 4
  29. Krautfag Member

Oh come on, you can do better than just being in butthurt denial.
    • Like Like x 3
  30. exOT8Michael Member

Hey :) don;t be SourKrautfag, just realize that Herro is only happy when making nothing out of something. That's his black sandbox, from what I have seen happen on here. Be happy that he is enjoying some self-fail sandcastles, and be happy with what you are doing, sweet Krautfag. :)
  31. No need to do anything but watch the tower of babylon topple. His australian charities commission was aproved last night!!!!!!!
    • Like Like x 7
  32. Does anyone have info on how to get intouch with Mr. Xenophon? I think he needs to know what this victory means to all of us. I would look it up but im on my phone at the bar and I'm a wee bit drunk at the moment. Viva Las Vegas I guess.
  33. exOT8Michael Member

If you PM TinyDancer (Mod) you might get an answer for how to contact Xenophon.
    • Like Like x 2
  34. Anonymous Member

35. If only they could be billed retroactively.
  36. If they claim to not be a chruch anymore they'll lose their tax exemp status anyway. So nothing of value is lost. God im so proud to be a chanoligist right now!
    • Like Like x 4
  37. Loki's spawn Member

I will be sending an email. If anybody wants to help compose it, send me a PM.
    • Like Like x 1
  38. Hey loki count me in!!!! I'll drop you a line when I get home ok?
    • Like Like x 1
  39. thefatman Member

His website should have an email or mailing address.
    • Like Like x 2
  40. Loki's spawn Member

Ok, I'll try and do some research until then.