Customize

Set up a pirate radio station to counter disinformation

Discussion in 'Protest Advice' started by Unregistered, Jun 21, 2009.

1. A major problem for our Iranian friends seems to be the huge masses of uninformed people due to their lack of internet access. Their only media is controlled by the government.

A powerfull, but dangerous, way to counter that advantage of the oppressive state could be pirate radio stations.

Set Up a Pirate Radio Station - Wired How-To Wiki
    The Free radio Network

But there is a huge danger of prosecution for the brave people running those stations.

Any advice and/or knowledge regarding this topic?
  2. unfortunately it is rather easy to spread disinformation this way. but if you can spread person to person some sort of rotating indication of a legitimate source that would take care of that. just be careful and dont trust anyone you dont know. one of the easiest ways to stop a revolution is to infiltrate the movement and escalate the violence. be peaceful, use solidarity tactics, take actions that cannot be corrupted by disinformation, or that the gov can use to claim political motivation. this is not about who won, or what their ideologies are, this is about the peoples right to freedom of speech. this goes beyond all nationalities and all ideologies.

solidarity to all freedom fighters
  3. take radio and t.v. stations

This will be diffacult and challeging, But you must make every attempt to take over as many radio and T.V. stations as possible, Get your voices heard and use there own communication stations against them, use distraction methods near communication stations to draw state forces away have teams ready to move in, this will be very dangeriuos, my thoughts and heart are with you, good luck and my god be with you, FREEDOM
  4. Dirt McGurk Member

Radio Free Tehran

You could set up an internet radio station and several if not many local transmitters. The transmitters can be set up anywhere there is internet access, and they don't need to be manned since they just relay the internet feed. For the radio station itself, a dedicated server running the broadcasting tool of your choice (i like Icecast.org) can be set up. The more buffers you put between yourself and the transmitters, the better.
  5. I wonder how hard it might be to take command of Iran's shortwave station "Voice Of Justice", I know them to transmit on 9495 AM, that could be a great way to get their voices out over a wide area if they were able to operate on it. My question is if it would really be that easy, ie- studio and station may be separate....
  6. longwoodgeek Member

Truly wouldn't be that difficult, I run a college radio station myself and as long as none of the equipment was damaged, its pretty self-explanatory. There would be a mixer board and mics as well as either CD, tape, or cart decks.

My only question would be the RF jamming going on. Are they jamming SW as well? If not then this is a viable option at least for a little while. And if the government cuts power, there should be generators and battery power to keep them up for a while (assuming they're not on a separate governmental circuit already).

Let me know if more info is needed, I started as Chief Engineer and am now GM so I can run and describe how to run a station fairly well.

Gerry
  7. ground pirate radio

Just some quick thoughts on pirate radio. If you do a local ground radio, the antennas and ground broadcast equipment are very easy to find- very low tech. They do it much the same way they get a fix on your cell phone. It is like putting a big target on your friend's house, or anywhere you have shelter. Wherever the antenna is, you can can pretty much count on 50 people kicking in the door and dragging people off. I suggest that it get done online, or go low tech with hand-outs.
  8. I ran a small 30km radius pirate radio station back in 1993 and the FAA shut it down within a month. I had to pay a fine, anybody running an information news wire in Iran would surely be tortured/jailed/shot. I highly recommend you do not do this it's too easy to trace.
  9. set up a free email account somewhere, put it in vacation mode and have it auto-reply to anybody who emails it with news on the ground of what's going on. walk around your city and graffiti the email address everywhere, in bathrooms, restaurants, bussess, walls and spam your email all over the #Iranelection and facebook campaigns. I don't think smartfilter can ban incoming emails, you could always forward the emails to multiple auto reply accounts to avoid getting censored.
  10. tt23 Member

A relay/proxy from could certainly be arranged.

How to configure and run the icecast server

# Relaying

The idea behind relaying is that one server is limited by the bandwidth of his network connection. So even though I might have a 10 mbit connection to the internet, I still can't take in as many listeners as I want.
    Not to mention that the network administrators will nuke my swedish arse if they found out :)
    But, and this is where relays come in, if one of the connected listeners could send the stream to say 10 other listeners closer to him, then a lot more people would be able to enjoy my music. In the perfect world, you would have a treelike structure of relays distributing your stream all over the world. This is where you need a lot of friends with lots of bandwidth to waste ;)
    There are three types of relays in the icecast server. Pushing, pulling, and aliased relays (aka on demand relays)
    To make a long story short, a pushing relay is where an admin on the originating server connects one of the local streams to a remote server.
    A pulling relay is basicly the same, except that the request is sent from the remote server, which mounts a remote stream as a local stream.
    An aliased relay is special, and a very nice thing indeed. For those of you familiar with mount and automount in the unix environment, this is quite similar. Instead of keeping a remote stream on your server all the time, and wasting bandwidth when no one is listening, you add an alias on your server for a stream on a remote server. And when a client requests this stream on your server, then you connect and send him the stream.

1. Pulling relays
    The admin on a remote server (aka slave server) issues the 'relay pull' command and the icecast server will connect to the originating (master) server as a client and then mount the stream as a local source. This has the advantage that you don't have to share any passwords.

2. Pushing relays
    Pushing relays is where the admin on the master server issues the 'relay push' command and the icecast server connects to the remote (slave) server as a source.

3. Relaying using aliases
    Aliases for remote streams are added with the 'alias add' command or using the alias parameter in the icecast.conf file.
    When a client requests a stream which is an alias refering to a remote stream, the icecast server will connect to this remote server and mount this stream in as a local source, just like a relay pull. When no clients are longer listening to this stream, the server will kill this source, to save bandwidth.
    Prior to the 1.3.8 release, the requested stream URL had to match the alias exactly, using the server_name as the host part of the URL. For instance, if you added: alias add /cool http://cool.co:8000/cool, then if a user requested http://your.server.name:8000/cool then it would work fine, but if he requested http://localhost:8000/cool or http://your:8000/cool or perhaps the ip, it wouldn't work at all.
    Starting with 1.3.8, you can specify the keyword 'whatever' as host, and thus match all hosts in the request, like so: alias add http://whatever:8000/cool http://cool.co:8000/cool.

4. Proxy
    You can setup your icecast server as a proxy, which means that all requests for streams on remote hosts will make the icecast server mount the remote streams as local sources, just like aliases. Proxy mode is just like adding an alias for each and every audiocast in the world. Please note that it is very important that the server_name variable is correctly set if you want to run a proxy.
  11. I have an idea,
    Use the gov frequencies for protest propoganda since the gov will probibly jam other fequencies. When the gov changes frequencies switch protest radio to follow. This should get the word out but at the same time psycologically affect the troops and police with neutral feelings on the matter. It will demoralize the guilty and give pride and good moral to the oposition.

Could put the radio equipment in a moving vehicle, and transmit at random while moving but only short transmissions, but would have to have as much or more transmitting power as the gov does.

Just an abstract thought.

I hope this helps

good luck fellas
  12. Abstract idea

If you use the police frequency to transmit would it be possible to use the Gov relay system automatically?

Also running 2 vans with transmiting equipment at the same time would that make it harder to triangulate the transmission location?

Sorry my spelling sucks
  13. spaz926 Member

Sea of Green Radio

The internet radio is what us at Sea of Green Radio were wanting to do. We were trying to get a radio station with music and up-to-date, legitimate news (Green Briefs). If only it had succeeded.
    Please get in contact with me if you are willing to do any of this!
  14. spaz926 Member

I don't know how easy it would be to transmit from two vans at the same time. You would get conflicting sounds, because they wouldn't be transmitting at the same time.