Customize

SETI Over 9000 Search for Xenu Project Lulz Wars

Discussion in 'Projects' started by RSK, May 18, 2009.

1. HabeebIt Member

Re: SETI Over 9000 Search for Xenu Project Lulz Wars

Technically, no.

Xenu is locked inside of a mountain prison that is guarded by a force-field that's being powered with an eternal battery.

I doubt Xenu would die - he's the biggest badass in Space Opera, not to mention he was an evil intergalactic ruler and shit...they almost NEVER die. Besides, I would wager that he was probably at least as powerful as Elron - I mean, Xenu HAD to be like, OT8 or something.

At any rate...this. [IMG]
  2. Anonymous Member

I like how 2chan in the number 9 team in the world.
  3. whosit Member

4. Havok Member

5. blownforgood Member

Over 130,000 credits in just over a week!

Team Xenu Stats

I think this might be a SETI record! If we get a few more members we can crank out 100K per week no problem.

Person with highest credits gets his picture taken with Xenu when we find him!

Until next time...
    BFG
  6. RSK Member

I'm certain that we must be setting some sort of record. Sure there are teams that get the same or higher numbers but they also have 4 or 5 times as many members as we do, if not more.

Rob
  7. Havok Member

It ain't gonna be me, at this rate.

Citizenon's been setting up a damn server farm o.0
  8. fisherman Member

Do we have 'specs' on Xenu's force-field?

I mean, if LRH could give us a a frequency, or magnitude of power in joules, or or the decibel level of the 'freight trains in the Van Allen belt' --- we'd have something specific for SETI to look for!!!!

Or maybe 'Anons' could call SETI and tell them to track DC8 spacecraft -- one of those is bound to be flying supplies to Xenu !! :cool: :D

fisherman
  9. qwertyuiop1 Member

I started a thread in "recruitment". if what I posted needs adjusting let me know.

Xenu - Anonymous is here!!!
  10. whosit Member

One more for the magic number.

Also anybody else stuck with these gianormous Astropulse datasets? These things have been going for half a week and a half a week to go.
  11. qwertyuiop1 Member

Awesome!! - The astropulse stuff has been taking about 65 hours per set. It depends on your setup how fast it will go. they started off for me with a week to go but quickly went down from there (no more than 3 days).

Edit: by the way we have 50 members now.
  12. alienanon Member

- fixed.
  13. Anonymous Member

Just checked the statistics. Team Xenu is currently #400 out of OMG LOTS O TEAMS.
  14. anonsoldier Member

Yeah, lots of teams, but we're still getting thrashed by smaller teams pumping out more credits. The rankings are by recent average credit, so the more people we have actively churning through data, the more credit we pump out on average. Also, the longer you do work, the higher your average credit rises, so as relative newcomers we should see Xenu continue to rise slightly in the rankings.

Again, we need MORE people and MORE machines! We're doing kickass right now, and every computer we get means a little higher in the rankings!!

EDIT: OMG!!!! I was glancing at the internal rankings (damn you anonseatac for being higher than me!) and looked at what DocPaul has. OMG THAT IS A SHIT FUCKING TON OF COMPUTERS!!! I really hope they're all about to go all power to thrusters and scour some credits...
  15. Anonymous Member

No shit, right? Also, look at Da5id's twin i7 box. *wants* Shit is so cash..er cache, in this case. Although I would want two I7-975's instead of the 920s if I had my wish list, but still..I'd totally settle for 8 fucking 2.66 ghz cores. That proc has an L3 cache, 256 KB L2 per core. (Video card is sweet too. )

Also, DocPaul has totally shamed me with his/her vast amounts of hardware. I will now add more boxen.
  16. anonsoldier Member

We're now at 367. :D

I think the biggest obstacle we face is team allegiance. You can only be on one team, it looks like, so we're competing with loyalty for other teams like Slashdot, Something Awful, etc. Teams who's members are most likely to be sympathetic to our aims. That being said, I think we should get the news release ready, as that is bound to get some attention and hopefully draw in more people/computers.

Make sure to direct people to how they can join in, that's what'll get us the most benefit.
  17. anonsoldier Member

Bumping to announce we're now #339 in the rankings, and likely to keep climbing.

As always, more computers means higher average credit! We need you Anonymous!
  18. qwertyuiop1 Member

i will be adding my other box tonight
  19. anonseatac Member

And now I'm gonna add my shitty little Netbook to the cause. Found my power supply, so now I can just leave that little sucker running to add more credits.
  20. anonsoldier Member

Back tracking to an earlier part of the discussion. Wasn't sure if Sten-Arne (last real credit churner at Knights of Xemu) ever got 'pooned to join with us, so I messaged him.

Pretty much, dude is OG and wants nothing to do with us. He said he's been doing the anti-Scilon thing for 30 years, and that group has been around for 10, and he doesn't want to associate with hiding, masked strangers. Just to sum up his reply.

So, I wished him well, and we can not count on his mega credit abilities.

Otherwise...awesome. Yet another box! I'd add more, but I've only got this one computer. Thankfully I can run it 24/7 and let it crank out credits. It's doing a kick ass job for a laptop.

That's cool, I'm just trying to be the best in the "single computer" category. Do the most I can with what I've got. Oh how I wish I could add in my desktop computer...but it's several thousand miles away.
  21. Re: SETI Over 9000 Search for Xenu Project Lulz Wars

got this running right now on my main pc:
    AMD phenom II x4 955
    8gb DDR 3 1666mhz
    EVGA geforce 9800GT
    dual 30gb OCZ vertex SSD's running in raid 0
    1 WD 1TB HD

I'm looking into getting this project running in a gentoo linux distro, if i can make it work good and not overdo it, then i can put it on 450 AMD geode pcs running at 500mhz 512mb ram, 20gb 5400 2.5" hard drives, nothing fast, but its still a ton of machines to put to work
  22. DeathHamster Member

The Atom processors, that the current crop of netbooks use, punch pretty hard for their weight class, but those astropulse jobs seem to require 24/7 processing to get it done before the deadline! (Which is not so good when you actually want to use it as a netbook on the go.)

My next step is to locate a 95W Phenom II x4 chip to upgrade from my x2 without frying my motherboard. (A lot of them are 125W, which is a little too hot, especially in continuous crunching.) Luckily there was a BIOS update for the board, which most makers promised but few delivered.

BTW, the BOINC software had a minor version bump a few days ago, for those that like to run with fresh code.
  23. RSK Member

Alright, I think we're doing fantastic and quite frankly we've met the original benchmarks we set for when we'd start working on a Press release.

So my question to everyone is whether you guys want to continue with this project for a little longer and maybe go up in our rankings even more or do you think we're ready to start thinking about bringing the press in on this?

I'm a little occupied ATM but I have not forgotten about this project and am crunching numbers all the while.

So I'd like to hear what the team thinks because I want this done by general consensus.
  24. qwertyuiop1 Member

Im just crunchin'. what did you have in mind for a press release?
  25. da5id Administrator

I see no reason to rush a press release.. keep crunching, recruit more, increase our ranking, and then brag about it.
  26. DeathHamster Member

FIFY.
  27. Anon_1HG Member

This.

We should be able to get 100 members on the team.
  28. RSK Member

Alright guise, sounds good to me.

Just didn't want you to think that I abandoned the project due to the recent drama in my household.

Frankly I'm glad that you guys want to grow this into epic proportions because much bigger lulz will hopefully result.

I mean if we break the top 100 or better then that will make our lulzy press stunt that much better.

Basically I just wanted to gauge opinion as we had hit the benchmark but I'm all for keeping it up as we're making fantastic progress.

Keep up the great work you herd of cats.

Just FYI, I've got a pressfag who will help out with the press release once we're ready however he isn't very familiar with Anonymous' idea of lulz so if anyone wants to chime in with some ideas for a future press release and how best to frame it, please to be PM'ing me.

R
  29. anonsoldier Member

We've gotta keep at it, keep pushing higher!! We just broke 14K average credits (gj all!) and I'm enjoying this chase for the top. We're at #331, literally right behind Something Awful. Might be something worthwhile to exploit. Did we ever 'poon the chans to get support?

I say get the press release ready, because it should draw us some attention and get more people involved.
  30. Anonymous Member

This may be useful to ppl with multiple systems:

I've got some fast boxes, and I've got some slow ones. I found that one of my slower machines was crunching an Astro Pulse WU that it had no chance in hell of completing before the deadline, so time it could've spent on realistic WU's was wasted on a WU that we won't get credit for.

The boinc manager doesn't provide an easy way to designate what kind of work the slow ones get and what kind of work the quicker ones get. There is a way to do it with the web interface tho'.

Go to your account page. Click on seti@home preferences. Pick school (you can use work or home if you want), and select edit preferences.

Uncheck Astropulse, make sure to leave "If no work for selected applications is available, accept work from other applications?" unchecked. Save it.

Go back to your account page. Go to Computers on this account and click View. Click on details for your slow boxes. Go to the location selector, and pick school. Then click Update.

Now your slow boxes won't start crunching on tasks they can't finish. Changes take effect the next time that system talks to the network and downloads some WU's.
  31. Anonymous Member

I'm thinking there are many Scilon staff members that would wish to see stats like this.....

[IMG]
  32. Anonymous Member

You glorious bastard you...

33. Anonymous Member

I've got 2 more cpus I can add to the cause. I just need to reformat the OS one & plug in the other. Yes I'm a lazy bastard.
  34. RSK Member

Wow, nicely done.

Anyway, I just wanted to let you guys know that we have a team message board as a backup or for team members to discuss how we should proceed and anything else you feel like posting over there.

The message board is located atTeam Message Board and it never hurts to have a secondary board for planning etc.

If for some reason you can't access the board from the above link then just go to the team page and you'll find the link there.

What we could use is any tips and tricks to make the BOINC software run as efficiently as possible on old computers and new computers.

Rob
  35. Anonymous Member

cool project guys :)
  36. RSK Member

Any and all help is very much welcome. Even if you've got a functional P3 it can certainly help us with the team stats.

The higher we rise in the rankings the better the media attention will be and every little bit helps.

Rob
  37. Anonymous Member

Just wanted to update on this. It has made a HUGE difference in the output of my slower systems pretty much over night. Since implementing this for my older machines, one of them went from averaging 12-20 credits to 130+.
  38. docpaul Member

yeah, I created a profile for my slower systems without Astropulse to help them along.
  39. AnonLover Member

theres a new version of the boinc manager released this past week thats alot more robust, i loaded it yesterday morning and it nearly dbl my turnover of WU in 24hrs.

BOINC: compute for science
  40. DeathHamster Member

Version 6.6.31 from the About box.