Customize

SETI Over 9000 Search for Xenu Project Lulz Wars

Discussion in 'Projects' started by RSK, May 18, 2009.

1. AnonymousNow Member

Re: SETI Over 9000 Search for Xenu Project Lulz Wars

out of work units again. is seti running out of data?
  2. RedOrbifold Member

that means we'd just have to work on cern or something... smash particles and make black holes
  3. AnonymousNow Member

Oh noes!!! Anonymous + particle accelerator = naked singularity and the destruction of the world.
  4. Anonymous Member

Naked boson pix or GTFO!
  5. AnonymousNow Member

I'm being fed units again.

I bumped my shader clock from 1450 to 1550 and want to rip, hope they can keep my GPU fed.
  6. anonsoldier Member

I'm not having any issues with work units being sent my way. I've got a few queued up, and chugging along.

Though, if we do make SETI run out of data, does that mean we've cleared outer space? *rimshot*
  7. anonsoldier Member

Ahem. Team Xenu is now in the top 150 of all teams, at the wonderful position of 149.

Top teams
  8. DeathHamster Member

I found this Marcabian parts dealer....
  9. AnonymousNow Member

and number 147 only 5 hours later.

If we just get some /b/tards in here or some more computer geeks we will easily break 100.
  10. blownforgood Member

Sorry about that - all my machines get 5 days worth of tasks at all times. So I never have to wait for work when the site goes down for any amount of time.

Also, often when I am deciding if I want to buy a new computer (which is often), I sometimes test drive a high power PC or two at my local computer outlet. The Boinc - SETI render engine is a great program to test computer speed. So some of these computers might be grabbing a few tasks as well...

Until next time...
    BFG
  11. Anonymous Member

Have we capped out at 76 members? :mad:
  12. Havok Member

I think so. We should start drafting a press release and cash in for our lulz.
  13. docpaul Member

14. AnonymousNow Member

Looks like I hit upon a sore spot. You cannot prove-up safety when the whole purpose of the experiment is to uncover unknown rules. The high energy particles that hit the Earth do not collide head-on at those energies. Cern is playing with fire. We are all doomed!
  15. AnonymousNow Member

Still, to this day, I am data starved-- just started getting more packets after about 20 hours of nothing. Only problem I can think of is that I haven't been connected 24/7. Server seems to be massively penalizing me for that. Prob is, i was only shutting down because I wasn't getting fed data anyway. Will try a few days at 24/7 even when i have no data. I'm getting lots of work done, but I'm only running at about 1/3 capacity because i'm mostly doing nothing. Any suggestions for being fed properly, please advise.

Edit: I think i fixed the problem. network preferences, upped work cache from default .25 days to 10 days, changed default connect to internet from every .02 days to every .01 days. That should do it. Wasn't aware of these options.

Edit 2: confirmed, that was the problem, exacerbated by a GPU that can do work units faster than server would expect. The default settings are completely unworkable for people with fast CPUs or GPUs that do many work units an hour.
  16. Anonymous Member

As of today we have >900,000 credits to team Xenu.

1,005,229 to be exact. Will we be planning here or over at the team message board?
  17. anonsoldier Member

We are also at position 131. To get into the top 100 teams we will need to increase by about 10,000 our average credits. Can it be done? I believe it can, we just need to get more folks working on this!
  18. AnonymousNow Member

Congrats we broke 1 mill!

1,074,971 and counting.

128th place.....

and we just got ahead of IBM.
  19. anonym0us Member

I'll check if some of my friends started already, they said they would like to join, but don't think they actually have.
    Gonna give them a reminder brb
  20. AnonymousNow Member

I just went from 1,200ppd to 5,500ppd simply by buffering my work by 10 days, instead of default. And with the tweaks I am implementing, think I can break 6.5-7k. So i have half of that covered myself.
  21. AnonymousNow Member

Hey guise, we just got five new peeps.

Welcome XenuTrackBot55 | SwordGuy42 | The Shadow | MeOnline | Loyal Marcabian Rustybeard.

I think a few more are about to join.

(I posted about our 1 million mark in discussions)
  22. Ogsonofgroo Member

Can include me nao as Mr. Ogson :D (I don't have a frikken clue what I'm doing yet, but mah masheen is ready ta roll!)

:)

BUT NEED HELPS! :( What projects shoulds I join? Already got Seti@home and climateprediction, do I just let it do its thing nao? I have not a clue this morning, I go bed and looksee in morning :)
    *sigh* disconnected from climate one till I figure out what I'm doing, Ill let the home one run.........I think.........ouff!

O-o *yawn* zzzzzzzzz.
  23. Anonymous Member

scotanons joining in :)
  24. AnonymousNow Member

We got 12 new members of xenu yesterday! Up to 88.

I'm finding most anon don't know about this project yet, so its easy to find moar.

Ogslo- yea, for max points, just join seti. Pm me with any questions and I will respond when I get home from work.

If u have fast pc, be sure to change bionic manager preferences to buffer at least 5 days of work, at default your pc will be idle 75% of the time.
  25. anonsoldier Member

This bump in members has pushed us to 121! Your average units will continue to rise for a while, so our ranking will continue to climb for a couple days or so (provided people are pushing at maximum power).

Did some rough math, and 2chan has 4699 people, but their average per person is about 91.9

Our own numbers, based off the team rankings, are 87 people with an average of 439 per person. Granted, that still means (assuming the average stayed the same) we'd need 980ish people to match their output, but it means that in theory, if we got all of Chanology backing us, we could whoop 2chan's ass. And 2chan is number 8 in the rankings, FYI.

I dare to dream big.
  26. Ogsonofgroo Member

@Anonymousnow> Ok, I've set my buffer to 5days, my PC is only 1.3ghz but I have lots or room available and fairly uncluttered, its not being used for much else, I've set it to work after 1min idle and have been turning off screen at night too.
    Seems I'm computing as part of the Astropulse v50, and am @ 6.5% completed task after 33hrs, deadline date is July30th (960-some odd hours), but I am guessing that at this rate I should be done by sometime next week. Not sure if I'm getting this :( but I assume I'll not have a 'completed task'/credit thingy until this crunching is over? If so thats a long wait.... and there was a fuction @ SETI that I couldn't access until I had at least 1 credit, guess my question is, is there another smaller/quicker thing I could have done as well to at least get on the board? (if this doesn't make sense, well cox etc. ;D)
    Cheers!
  27. anonsoldier Member

No, makes perfect sense. Here's what the deal is:

Astropulses are HUGE files with tons of data that require a lot of work hours before completion. They take a while, but count as a LOT of credits when completed. So yes, you need to complete it before it counts for you. You could cancel the astropulses to get to something smaller just to get on the board, but the main thing to focus on right now is just crunching data. You'll get on the board, and boost our numbers, when you finish. If you had a really slow machine that wouldn't make the deadline, I'd say scrap it. Since you'll finish in like a week or so (you may be surprised how much faster it may be) then maybe just let it run.
  28. AnonymousNow Member

You are thinking of the right considerations, some PC's lose most of their points because they can't complete a work unit they are tasked ontime. Seems like your PC isn't quite that slow, but keept an eye on it-- the work completion estimates are only that, estimates. There is a solution to this issue discussed in this thread, i think a software solution, but you may need to PM the guy who discussed it to get the details, i forgot. I'm basically new to seti myself.. i've folded, but i haven't done seti in about 10 years until now.
  29. Anonymous Member

30. AnonymousNow Member

118, And about to pass 117 and 116..

However, We will need another small member jump or a couple of peeps getting upgraded nvidia graphics cards to get below 100. 100 peeps and below 100 will be impressive when u consider who we have passed in just 7 weeks from zero.

I'm crunching from across the country, hope I don't crash....
  31. Ogsonofgroo Member

Hey thanks guy for the info, I sortta figured as much.
    I am keeping an eye on the completion estimates for my task, I think its really borderline but wtf, I'll let it run until I'm sure I'm doomed, if I make the deadline for my task (whatever the heck it is) then woo-hoo frikken awesomeness er somethin', if not, well, meh, I'll just start on something simpler I guess. :)
    I'm not perticularly geeky in this direction but its certainly a cool, interestin', and worthwhile thingy in my opinion, and sortta fun in an odd and geeky way :D

Thus far>

Elapsed> 92hrs

Progress> 16.57%

To Completion> 780hrs (this seems to be dropping much faster than my elapsed time which is why I'm hangin' in there)

Deadline> 30/07/2009 (about 648hrs by my bad maths)

Status> running high priority

The origional completion time was almost 1k hrs which was daunting in appearence btw. By my crude and shitty maths skillz I should be 99.42% done in 600hrs or so, but I could be all fk'd up, it happens alot in my maths :( Anyone is moar than welcome to re-calculate on me behalf :)

We'll see wort 'appens!
    Hey, anyone know if they can extend deadlines for borderline performers? :D
    Or does it just close and fkya very muchy thing?
    :)
  32. DeathHamster Member

My netbook was a day late with two astropulses and still got the (much) credit. So, sometimes it's worth gambling if it's going to be over but close. (I'd never run Astropulses on that one again, especially two at the same time. It was a solid month of grinding, minus the time that I was actually using it as a traveling netbook.)
  33. AnonymousNow Member

I would bet there is no option to request an extension of time, but note the above post.
  34. AnonymousNow Member

No. 114 and counting. Anon will get close to 110 on inertia with no new members. We are about to top Texas A&M, my dire college enemy. We are at about 1.6 million units now. At 2 million units, I will use that feat to promote and gain more anon. We just need a few more anon and we will hit the sub 100 mark.
  35. Ogsonofgroo Member

yeh, read up some moar on their site and they say that if you submit your project a bit late it'll count if the b/u (crosscheck? forgot their terminology) hasn't been entered yet, then it'll count, seems too many people give up at the last minute or slightly late and lose it credit-wise.
    Team Xenu seems ta be rockin' along nicely too!
    Me> 38.77% in 206 hrs, hm, gonna be close.

Small Q, when they say submitted, is this done automatically (I'm thinkin' so but unsure)?

Woot!
  36. AnonymousNow Member

108 Xenu 93 48,002 1,858,548 Socio/Political/Other
    109 Texas A&M University 647 47,739 33,565,139 University or department

We just passed the Aggies!

108th at 1.86 million. We are gaining like we are on some sort of cruise control.

But it will get tougher and tougher as we get through teams like the Aggies.
  37. Zhent Member

Well I finally took my computer offline for some maintenance, and the BOINC install is now finally completed...

I hope my overclocked quad core will be of some use for Xenu!

Couple of quick questions:
    I seem to be having a lot of network problems with BOINC, it keeps failing to upload the completed work units for some reason. Is this just me? My internet connection seems fine...

Also why do the workunits that get uploaded stay 'pending' for so long? I have about 1000 credits that has been sitting there all day waiting for validation :(

Also whats up with the 'average credit' rating? All the tasks I completed have a credit of about 50, how do I get up into the higher ranks of average credit?

Edit: Looks like I chose a bad time to join Seti, the upload server and other stuff are offline :\
  38. anonsoldier Member

Yes, you chose a poor day. Tuesdays are SETI maintenance days, so the servers go down. That's why you have at least 3 days worth of processing on your computer, in case their servers are down you can keep chugging away and then upload a ton of data when its up.

I'm averaging about 278 work units done, about 65% of my CPU being devoted just about 24/7. I've got an Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2Ghz. Your overclocked quad core should definitely be at least in my neck of the woods, if not higher. It takes some time for your average to rise, but it'll eventually level out. I believe its an average units/day measurement. Haven't run the math, so just guessing.

Last I checked, our team was at 106. Another major box will keep kicking our score up for the next couple days so we should be in fighting position for 105. Let's keep this momentum going!
  39. AnonymousNow Member

Zhent, IN the network settings for bionic, set work buffer from .2 days-- not nearly enough-- to 5 days at least. Otherwise, you will sit idle lots of the time. You should be able to hit a good 600-800 avg credit on an overclocked quad core, very helpful. Server has been down last couple of days, just starting to be able to upload my work now. Hang in there, once buffer gets filled, your computer will have plenty of work for when the servers are down.
  40. AnonymousNow Member

We will probably hit the 2mill mark tomorrow-- server is behind on processing tons of work. We have 94 anon. If anyone is considering writing a press release, I will edit any copy upon request, one of my areas of expertise.