Customize

Shirin Ebadi speech

Discussion in 'Iran' started by Unregistered, Feb 19, 2010.

1. Hi everyone,
    I just attended the Nobel Peace Prize winner Shirin Ebadi's speech at the college that I work at. Shirin Ebadi is a prominent lawyer in Iran that struggles for human rights in Iran. She spoke about the situation in Iran, and her speech was peppered with the history and how things came to be today. There were many people there, and Iranians too. One guy had a green "Free Iran" shirt! The event was great.

Some things that she said that I think that Anonymous would appreciate and I would like to share with you were:

1. The Green movement is not a linear movement (it doesn't have leaders), rather it is a horizontal movement/a movement of the people. She said that if a leader/leaders of a movement are killed, then the movement can die. A movement like the Green movement can't be stopped by having it's members killed because there are more to take the place of the murdered. (sound kind of familiar?)

2. Apparently she keeps up with new trends because she spoke about the Iranian youth utilising the internet and other technology to get the information out and bypass internet filters. She also said that the internet was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize (and that she was one of the people that nominated it) because of how the internet can be used to subvert oppression.

3. She informed us about the group of mourning mothers in Iran that gather to protest the violence and oppression. She said that if a similar group were to be established in the U.S. then it would boost the moral of the mothers.