Customize

Slashdot: YouTube Muting, Removing Videos Involving Warner Music

Discussion in 'Youtube and Vimeo Problems' started by NotBobMinton, Jan 17, 2009.

1. NotBobMinton Member

2. another123 Member

Re: Slashdot: YouTube Muting, Removing Videos Involving Warner Music

The ease that you can take a channel down on YoutBoob now seems to suggesting that Anons start diversifying (eggs in one basket) those videos on other servers, and just use the Tube for teasers videos pointing to the real one.
  3. Your Mom Member

Welcome to last year.

slowpoke.jpg
  4. Re: Slashdot: YouTube Muting, Removing Videos Involving Warner Music

According to a Google search, 138,000 videos have been silenced. That number keeps rising.

Also, I was just looking at some of the videos that have been removed... some of these are just disturbing. Some of the odd videos I notcied:
    * "George Carlin on 'the American Dream' ",
    (I guess censorship is a part of the American Dream now? Might as well call it the "Communist Dream").

* "Cpl Richard J Nelson's Funeral (Video 2)",
    (How low is that, censoring the video of a FUNERAL of a man who died serving his country)

I am considering contacting all of the major media outlets over this, since I'm damn sure a headline like "YouTube forced to censor funeral of fallen soldier by Warner Music" would raise some eyebrows about these issues...
  5. Lorelei Member

YouTube is killing itself by degrees.

Anyone out there with the resources to make Vimeo as popular (I assume this would mean a tie-in with a search engine almost as popular as Google, *sigh*) would crush YouTube into dust once the comparison could be made.

Consider various formerly popular social networks that are basically full of digital tumbleweeds, adverts, and shitty bands trying to get you to befriend them: Orkut (etc.) users discovered Friendster was less obnoxious a network so they bailed from Orkut in favor of Friendster, Friendster users migrated to MySpace, MySpace users fled to Facebook.

The only things keeping YT from being likewise abandoned en masse is the tie-in with the preferred search engine, people who have been using it for years and don't like the hassle that would be involved with setting up shop on a new site, and apathy (if the censorship / fraudulent DMCA notices haven't personally caused them any annoyance yet).

In my opinion, anyway. I never claimed to be good wif compp00ter, halp.
  6. webkilla Member

indeed - youtube is caving in from its popularity - its become too great a target for music and movie industry lawyers

hell, from what i can see the majority of what is left are video-blogs and random crap people shit out themselves...
  7. Jeff Jacobsen Member

I closed my account on youtube. They first cancelled my Moxon video, which I took, on a public sidewalk, of inoffensive material. That pissed me off, but I stayed. Then they cancelled my Anoniversary video. That was the last straw.

I know I'll get less hits on vimeo, but at least vimeo seems committed to free speech. I chose to disassociate myself with youtube because they have no interest in free speech, only their own agenda. I was a loyal user but free speech is more important to me than ease of access to viewers.
  8. webkilla Member

d00ble poast
  9. Relyt Member

I just don't like Vimeo because of its limitations. When it becomes popular enough so that you don't have to pay for uploading more than one or two videos per week, or higher quality videos, maybe then will I be more active on it.