Customize

Spam attack New Year’s Eve

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Disambiguation, Dec 31, 2018.

1. Disambiguation Global Moderator

Hi
    I’ve locked down threads that shouldn’t be buried in spam and will unlock them later after this New Year’s Eve script kiddie party is over. You can start new threads and also message me about threads that should get locked for now. Be nice.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. About time you did something you lazy useless cunt of a mod.
  3. It's been ongoing for days you fucking Muppet and not just today.
  4. Disambiguation = Useless cunt.
  5. TrevAnon Member

Thanks Disambiguation. Also best wishes for 2019!
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Disambiguation Global Moderator

Thanks! I love the Muppets!
  7. Disambiguation Global Moderator

I had to lock down many threads tonight. I unlocked them and BAM it started all over. I promise I’ll unlock them tomorrow but in the meantime if you want to post something make a new thread and I’ll sort it out tomorrow. Nite.
  8. Disambiguation Global Moderator

So threads were locked and now unlocked. If you run across a locked threadyou want Open please let me know.
  9. TrevAnon Member

Guess they're at it again. :(
  10. TorontosRoot Member

They go at it every fifteen to thirty minutes.
  11. TorontosRoot Member

I think we should let the owners of stanwix.com know that their domain is compromised. That's where the spam is now originating from. I already sent them an e-mail. I will send another to their domain provider.
    Man the harpoons? Actually, fuck the domain holder. He's the one behind it, running the spam farm.

Code:
    Domain Name: STANWIX.COM
    Registry Domain ID: 758165_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
    Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.networksolutions.com
    Registrar URL: http://networksolutions.com
    Updated Date: 2015-06-25T19:09:34Z
    Creation Date: 1998-01-14T05:00:00Z
    Registry Expiry Date: 2021-01-13T05:00:00Z
    Registrar: Network Solutions, LLC
    Registrar IANA ID: 2
    Registrar Abuse Contact Email: abuse@web.com
    Registrar Abuse Contact Phone: +1.8003337680
    Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientTransferProhibited
    Name Server: NS0.UKFAST.NET
    Name Server: NS1.UKFAST.NET
    DNSSEC: unsigned
    URL of the ICANN Whois Inaccuracy Complaint Form: https://www.icann.org/wicf/
    >>> Last update of whois database: 2019-01-02T19:23:33Z <<<

and info to block incoming attacks with
    Code:
    A    79.170.44.128
    MX    (10) stanwix.com.mail1.emailantidote.com
    MX    (20) stanwix.com.mail2.emailantidote.com
    NS    ns0.ukfast.net
    NS    ns1.ukfast.net
    TXT    "v=spf1 a ip4:66.155.81.68 include:_spf.rmscloud.com include:spf.fusemail.net -all"
    SOA    host: ns0.ukfast.net
    serial: 2018100501
    refresh: 7200 s
    retry: 3600 s
    expire: 604800 s

• Like Like x 1
  12. BrianBTH7 Member

23D21227-9340-48BA-8BC5-EF11743997C5.jpeg

Love
    Your friend

13. HI Toronto, another great place to report that sort of shit is the Information Commissioner's Office.
    They investigate spammers and nuisance callers among other things and when they have sufficient evidence of responsibility they impose the heaviest financial penalties possible, sufficiently heavy to bankrupt them.
  14. TorontosRoot Member

I did file a report with the host's abuse department so we shall see what happens afterwards.
  15. Disambiguation Global Moderator

Maybe it worked because haven’t been back here since 7 am
  16. TorontosRoot Member

I guess it did. Host likely also got taken down. Idiots doing side-operations on the same domain are real stupid! lulz.

Domain is still up, however the hundereds of fake pharmacies that were hosted on subdomains were purged. Owner likely got a severe warning too.

Also reported yet another domain, which should be removed entirely.
  17. Maybe Edouard helped?
  18. TorontosRoot Member

I sense maybe the spammers actual IP's got ddos'd in the process, this place probably wasn't the only one getting flooded.
  19. I have been on forums where your first post or two must be reviewed and approved before it is posted and visible to everyone. I guess that would be a bad idea here -- people who blow the cult should feel welcome to post right away. Even if they need more immediate needs like food or shelter, we can refer them to The Aftermath Foundation.

I believe it is possible to set up a feature where a new poster's posts are only visible to him/her, and only when he/she is logged in, until that poster is approved (the feature is called "Tachy Goes to Coventry", and YOU DON'T HAVE THE EFFING RANK to ask how I know that). Again, perhaps not the optimum solution.

Here's something better -- Is it possible to set up a feature like Craigslist has, where just a couple of complaints will flag a post or take it down? We can flag/remove spammers' junk here just like we flag/remove the cult ads on Craigslist ("free time management seminar" or "way to happiness" or similar). Can we? Oh, can we, can we pretty please? Does anyone have a copy of the Xenforo software manual?

EDIT: Edited for GAT 2 compliance and to make sure the DAMN SEMICOLONS were being used properly.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. TorontosRoot Member

Xenforo has recaptcha support. Annoying for sure, however a bot cannot see it.
    • Like Like x 1
  21. TrevAnon Member

If possible, I'd like a thing like recaptcha
    • Like Like x 1
  22. The recaptcha thing is nice.

Looking back, I should have combined the first and second paragraphs of my previous post, since I think they describe the same idea/feature.

My "Craigslist" system might be able to automate (or "crowd-source") removals, so they happen before moderators even see the posts. But this feature might not really exist for Xenforo.

The recaptcha thing would prevent these spammer sign-ups in the first place. Is it possible to implement this for new users?

Let's assume someone blows the cult in the middle of the night and ends up at a relative's house. These days, the relative is likely to have at least a basic, serviceable computer in the house, and can guide the blown person through the captcha process for WWP (or handling validation e-mails or text messages to get on other websites, or set up banking or automatically paying utilities, all the things we "never-ins" take for granted).

Yes, I think the recaptcha would be perfect to keep out spammers, and be a low enough hurdle that "wog" or "meat body" posters (EDIT: or, as our favorite cult calls them, "disgruntled apostates") could navigate (with a little help) and be posting in only minutes. Can we have recaptcha?
  23. Edouard will soon have an answer.
  24. The Wrong Guy Member

25. Indeterminacy Moderator

Sue disabled anonymous posting.
  26. TorontosRoot Member

Good. It'll force the idiots to register first and give up their IP address in the process. Bwahahahah (if it's viewable).
  27. meep meep Member

All the drama I missed