Customize

Split from The Green Brief

Discussion in 'Iran' started by Unregistered, Jun 17, 2009.

1. Im very confused. Iranians I've talked with in Sweden says that changing president to mousavi will not give the people of Iran the freedom they deserve and thats he's just another puppet for the ayatollas. Are people really sacrificing their lives for this or is there something else they are expecting, like a complete change in the regime and ultimatly making Iran a secular democracy?
  2. The new regime must stop trying to suppress the Internet.

The secret police have to go too.
  3. the women's rights issue alone is reason enough to support the resistance, not to mention the freedom of speech issue, the honest democracy issue, and the ahmadinejad-is-batshit-insane issue.
  4. Noobfag Member

I'm no expert, but my perception of it is that the stealing of the election was sort of the straw that broke the camel's back. The Supreme Leader, of course, is the one who calls the shots as the "highest ranking political and religious authority of the nation" (source). So that wouldn't change because of the election.

However, it is my personal speculation that with a country full of so many young people who have had access to the global world via the internet for such a long time it is inevitable that they will want to be free-er than they are. That is not to say that they dishonor their heritage and religion at all, but that like most humble citizens, all we want is peace. Having a leader who wants to reduce foreign tension and acknowledges the Holocaust is a big step in that direction.

</speculation>
  5. Iranians want their votes to be honored

Well I see that you're confused. Since I'm also an Iranian I can give you a clear picture of what people of Iran really want. What they currently want is their votes which were betrayed blatantly by the government and more importantly by the supreme leader, Ayatollah Khamenei. Khamenei carried out a soft coup by his elite military force, the revolutionary guardians, to take Ahmadinejad out of few million ballots which people cast for him. This was despite the fact that people turned out in record numbers (>85% of eligible voters = 40 million) to ask for change. He were able to do that because he controls 80% of the power in Iran. After all this happened, people of Iran get to know better than before who is throwing stones in the way of democracy in Iran. But as you might know, this is a very delicate situation and any explicit confrontation with him will lead to total crack down. Knowing that, reformist leader Mousavi don't want people and the elite to pay so much cost in such a direct confrontation which is not clear where will end. So, right now, they only want their votes back and that can only be done by a fair re-election and not a recount by the hard-line guardian council. Ultimately, Iranian society is still so involved in religious beliefs which they can't afford to give up in favor of a secular government. That's what most of liberal Illuminati and liberal students talk about and not the majority of the people. For the moment, they are more involved in a corroding the religious dictatorship in Iran than anything else.
  6. From what I've heard the reason Mousavi is such a big deal is largely for the same reasons that the election is a big deal.

All candidates were basically hand-picked by Khamenei, but that does not necessarily mean Khamenei intended any but Ahmadinejad to win. Mousavi was the PM of Iran from 1981-1989 (iirc), during the war with Iraq. He was a big reformer back then, about the same time that Ayatollah Montazeri was believed to be the next in line to replace Kohmeni. He was also supported heavily by former president Khatami, who is known for relaxing many of the social restrictions placed on Iranians.

Among the major reforms Mousavi wanted to put in place, stated during his campaign, is getting rid of militias like Basij, taking the police forces away from the control of the Supreme Leader and putting them in the hands of the President, selling state-run media into private hands, and allowing for more foreign investment. Basically he wanted Iran to be more free and not plagued by the very problems that are now hitting the streets.

Montazeri is supporting him with good reason, after the massive fiasco of the 1988 executions in Iran (in which tens of thousands of Iranian political prisoners were executed by people loyal to Kohmeni) he withdrew himself from Kohmeni and pulled himself from the opportunity to become Supreme Leader, leading to Khamenei being confirmed by the Assembly of Experts shortly thereafter.

Most polls indicate that he was supported primarily by the young and educated, but had majority opposition of the rural. All of the voting results, however, seem to be blatantly doctored. Whether Ahmadinejad would have won the election legitimately is unclear, but what is clear is that he certainly did not win legitimately. This has lead to the massive rift in the country that could go all the way to the "deep end" of revolution, or could be much softer if the protestors get their demands, namely the removal of Khamenei is Supreme Leader, the appointment of Montazeri to that post, and the removal of Ahmadinejad and his replacement by Mousavi (or new elections).

TL;DR: People are fed up with the Supreme Leader and Ahmadinejad, and would like BOTH replaced, barring that, the entire government.
  7. They want more than just for Mousave to be put in power. Their points are this:

1. Remove Khamenei from supreme leader
    2. Remove Ahmadinejad because he took it forcefully and unlawfully
    3. Put Ayatollah Monazeri as supreme leader until a review of the constitution is set up
    4. Recognize Mousavi as official president
    5. Let Mousavi rule as the constitution is reformed
    6. Free all political prisoners, immediately
    7. Call off all secret militia and offices

from http://emsenn.com/iran.php
  8. Keep in mind people in the US expect *their* president to be religious too...
  9. Ike

Eisenhower might not be the best choice of people to quote in support of Iranian democracy. He ordered the CIA to plan (and, along with British agents, execute) the 1953 coup which overthrew Iran's parliamentary democracy and installed the Shah. The Shah and his secret police tortured and murdered thousands, leading to the 1979 Islamic Revolution, leading to the theocratic dictatorship and the current mess. As an American born in 1967 and a student of history, I often think of how things might have been, had Eisenhower not made that shameful decision.
  10. The boycot

This is what CNN triad to say in 2002 when they announced in Venezuela that the Chavez supporters were a minority, when in fact were %75 of the Venezuelans. It seems suspiciously a like. This is how the CIA through the CNN, MSNBC and others do, they use the people's communication mediums to say: "Look, is the people talking, not us..."

LatinHacker

http://latinhacker.gnn.tv/
  11. You got a better idea?

Mousavi & associated reformers are the best hope the country has seen for real change in years. Read & learn: http://sites.google.com/site/tatsumairanupdate/
  12. do not not trust any western media and people they are same site

do you like American democracy like they give it to afghanistan and irak? there no such thing keep thinking what is the best for iranian. most of this people do not know abouth us.iran is just the contry stand to fashism of west . now they are very happy becuse we kill eachother. think please why they so care abouth iran is very simple. i am not intersetd of isalamic republik . i am crae abouth futher of our people.
  13. they are ame

mossawi is a mola without tulband .just look at his master rafsanjani they are same s.h.i.t .sorry for language. every thing happend to you not him.
  14. anonymous612 Member

Split from the sticky. Perfectly fine conversation, but it was running somewhat off the subject. Feel free to continue here.