Customize

Spying, intimidation, and ruin: Two lives caught up in Scientology’s notorious ‘Fair Game’

Discussion in 'Media' started by The Wrong Guy, Apr 11, 2016.

1. The Wrong Guy Member

Spying, intimidation, and ruin: Two lives caught up in Scientology’s notorious ‘Fair Game’

By Tony Ortega, The Underground Bunker, April 11, 2016

When you’re the target of a Scientology “noisy” investigation, the thing that’s the most unsettling is the not knowing.

Whether you’re a former member of the Church of Scientology, or you’re someone who investigates and writes about the organization, or you’re just a curious citizen who wants to disseminate information about Scientology’s controversial practices, you may find that your family members, your co-workers, even people you went to school with you haven’t talked to in many years are suddenly hearing from private investigators asking for information about you.

And the many people we’ve talked to who went through it tell us that what nags at you — and what Scientology counts on, say its former spies — is for you to be left wondering, who are these people looking into every aspect of my life?

Very rarely do we get a full picture from both sides about Scientology’s many legendary retaliation operations. In our 2015 book, The Unbreakable Miss Lovely, we had some success not only finding new details about the harassment campaign experienced by journalist Paulette Cooper, but we also talked to numerous people who had actually taken part in those operations.

Now, we have another opportunity to see and understand Scientology’s “Fair Game” with new clarity. And that’s because the man who investigated and harassed and tried to intimidate a Canadian man named Gregg Hagglund on behalf of the Church of Scientology has given up his secrets about those operations.

And that’s because he died.

His name is Peter Ramsay, and for many years he was a volunteer for Scientology’s Office of Special Affairs who took very seriously his role as a spy and dirty tricks operative, which is spelled out in detail in his personal papers. Ramsay died on April 26, 2013, and we’ve mentioned him a couple of times here at the Bunker. His son, Jonathan, who was never a Scientologist, has tried to get the church to return money to him that his father had on account and will never use. Helping him with that is Peter’s brother, Rob, who reached out to us with questions about Scientology.

Then, in December, Rob Ramsay did a remarkable thing. He sent a message to Scientology attorney Gary Soter, offering to return to the church all of his brother Peter’s personal papers, including sensitive documents that showed years of Peter Ramsay’s spying on Gregg Hagglund.

Soter didn’t respond.

So, instead, Rob turned over those documents to us. And now, after interviewing Hagglund and Rob Ramsay and others, and going through Peter Ramsay’s personal papers, we’ve been able to piece together this examination of a Scientology Fair Game operation from both sides.

The three-page article is continued here:
    http://tonyortega.org/2016/04/11/sp...aught-up-in-scientologys-notorious-fair-game/
    • Like Like x 7
  2. Tony gives us caek
  3. anon8109 Member

This is an epic 3-page article covering some of the history of fair game.

It is the decades long story of how an OSA operative fair gamed an old guard critic from both points of view, thanks to documents handed over to Tony Ortega by the OSA spy's brother after he died.
    • Like Like x 4
  4. RightOn Member

So glad this story is now public.
    I guess Soter made a REALLY big whoopsie!
    So HUGE thanks to him for never replying to that letter.
    And the fall out is teh awesome. :D
    • Like Like x 3
  5. DeathHamster Member

We should be mad at that little fruity club for scrambling his brains.

That was draining to read.
    • Like Like x 4
  6. The Wrong Guy Member

Astra Woodcraft, ex-Scientology kid, wants you to read a short essay

By Tony Ortega, The Underground Bunker, April 12, 2016

We’re still recovering from the 10,000-word page-turner (heh, get it?) that we uncorked yesterday after days of hard work and a nail-biting all-nighter.

So this morning we just had energy to tell you about this message we received from Astra Woodcraft. Yes, that Astra Woodcraft, who helped change the way the media approached Scientology when, in 2008, she joined with Jenna Miscavige Hill and Kendra Wiseman to create exscientologykids.com and proposed the notion that covering the church meant more than learning the Xenu story.

Here’s what she sent us:

My daughter Kate is off to university this year to major in mathematics. You might remember she was in the videos that I did with the Lisa McPherson Trust soon after I left the Sea Org. She was about 2 then and now she is 17. How time flies!

Kate applied for a $10,000 scholarship through an app that she has used for tutoring called Wyzant. It’s all based on how many votes she can get. We’ve shared it on Facebook but we’re trying to find ways to get more votes as she needs at least 800 to be in the running. Considering her dad is still in Scientology and he has never been in her life, and I have raised her as a single mom, every penny towards university helps!

The scholarship requires an essay about someone who inspires you. Kate wrote a pretty great essay about my escape from Scientology when I was pregnant with her.

Please go read this short essay about Astra, and kick in a vote if you’re of a mind to.

Source:
    http://tonyortega.org/2016/04/12/astra-woodcraft-ex-scientology-kid-wants-you-to-read-a-short-essay/
    • Like Like x 4
  7. RightOn Member

^^^ for noobs who don't know.
    Astra is the daughter of Lawrence Woodcraft. The guy who warned the COS about the asbestos on the Failwinds and then they did nothing.
    • Like Like x 4
  8. TorontosRoot Member

Bump
    This is excellent.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Astra posted on ESMB:

http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthre...-scholarship&p=1096105&viewfull=1#post1096105

* * * * * BEGIN QUOTATION * * * * *

This is Astra, Kate's mom. I wanted to thank everyone who voted and especially to all who posted here and shared the story. It's been amazing to have all of this support. Kate went from about 100 votes to over 1000 votes in 24 hours! She is now at 1163 and in the top 10 of all entrants. Provided she stays in the top 10 through the end of the month, she will be in the final running to win a scholarship. It's really exciting and we very much appreciate everyone's support! Thank you all so much!
    Kate is a really dedicated student and loves mathematics. The scholarship will go to very good use! Once the contest ends and winners are notified, I'll post an update.
    And if you haven't had a chance to vote yet, here is the link again:
    https://www.wyzant.com/scholarships/Voting/138772

* * * * * END QUOTATION * * * * *
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Astra posted again on ESMB. I'm cross-posting again for great justice. Please vote.

http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthre...-my-daughter-s-essay-to-win-a-10k-Scholarship!

* * * * * BEGIN QUOTATION * * * * *

Dear All,
    I'm asking for your help to vote for my daughter by the end of the day Sunday May 1st so she can win a 10k scholarship for college. HappyDance1.gif

My daughter Kate is off to university this year to major in Applied Mathematics. It's a very exciting time! She entered into a scholarship competition where she could win $10,000 towards college. That would be a HUGE help to us considering how expensive college is these days!

The essay prompt for the scholarship was "Write about a person who inspires you". Kate's essay is about my escape from Scientology and although I know I'm biased I think it's a really good read.

Tony Ortega posted a link on his site a couple of weeks ago and it rocketed Kate into the top ten in the competition! She got over 1000 votes in 24 hours. We were amazed and so grateful for the support!
    http://tonyortega.org/2016/04/12/astra-woodcraft-ex-scientology-kid-wants-you-to-read-a-short-essay/

If she stays in the top ten through Sunday night she will be in the final round. She is currently number eight. However, people are catching up and it she will fall out of the top ten soon if she doesn't get a lot more votes.

I think people love her essay and she has a really great chance at winning this thing. If she does, her essay stays up on the Wyzant website indefinitely so it will help promote the truth about Scientology. It also just seems like divine justice for an ex-scientology kid's kid to win a scholarship based on an essay on the truth about Scientology! giggle.gif

If you are reading this and you have a chance to vote and/or share the voting link to whoever you can, it would be so appreciated. And I will update here as to if she wins.
    Here is the link:

Thank you again!!!

* * * * * END QUOTATION * * * * *
    • Like Like x 1
  11. I see this has been Tweeted. Retweets and original Tweets (in addition to votes) are welcome.

https://twitter.com/IndieScieNews/status/726201216108249088

ScholarshipTweet.PNG
  12. TrevAnon Member

• Like Like x 3
  13. JohnnyRUClear Member

When I think of Astra, the image that comes to mind is from a video, years ago, of her not much older than her daughter is now. As Astra said, how time flies! There are second-generation Scilons, but there are also second-generation ex-Scilons... or whatever they should be called (genetically immune?).
    • Like Like x 1
  14. TrevAnon Member

• Like Like x 4
  15. TrevAnon Member

In b4 too much emoticons. :p
    • Like Like x 3
  16. TorontosRoot Member

Yeeeeaaahhhhhh!!
  17. JohnnyRUClear Member

• Like Like x 3
  18. The Wrong Guy Member

A life connected to some of our biggest Scientology stories ends in a terrible way | The Underground Bunker

Quote:

We have some unfortunate news regarding a person who had a connection to a couple of different stories here at the Underground Bunker. His name was Jonathan Ramsay, and he recently ended his life in Arizona at the age of 37.

We first learned about Jonathan from his uncle, Rob Ramsay, who reached out to us in 2015. Rob’s brother, Peter Ramsay, had recently died, and his son Jonathan was trying to retrieve money that his father, a longtime Scientologist, had left on account.

In Scientology, members are encouraged to bank large amounts of money on account in order to pay for future services. When someone changes their mind about their involvement, they can spend years trying to get that money back, and we’ve seen some pretty visible examples of that, including the five-year unsuccessful lawsuit by Luis and Rocio Garcia.

Jonathan was raised in Scientology, had Scientologist parents, worked at a Scientologist company, but he apparently only had a rather tenuous connection of his own to the church in his adult years and he wanted to get his father’s money back. Rob, his uncle, reached out to us because they were running into some of the same problems experienced by the Garcias. They were told that because Peter had signed various membership contracts, Jonathan would have to submit to Scientology’s internal “arbitration” to resolve the issue.

In fact, Scientology seemed unusually insistent about having Jonathan submit to arbitration, and his uncle Rob suggested to us that it had to do with the Garcia lawsuit.

At the time, the Garcias were arguing that Scientology’s “arbitration” was a sham, and even the church admitted in court that it had never actually held an internal arbitration in its history. Rob told us he assumed Scientology was encouraging Jonathan so heavily to go through an arbitration over his father’s money so it could hold that up to Tampa federal Judge James Whittemore, who was hearing the Garcia lawsuit.

But Jonathan decided to give up on pursuing the matter. (And Judge Whittemore forced the Garcias to go through the nonexistent arbitration anyway.)

Jonathan’s name first appeared in a story here at the Bunker when we asked our readers to help us solve a mystery about some of the documents that were found in his father Peter’s possessions.

His father Peter Ramsay’s major appearance at the Bunker was in our favorite story of 2016, when we told the tale of his years working as a Scientology volunteer to harass a church critic named Gregg Hagglund. Rob had turned over Peter’s Scientology documents to us, and they made for a rare look into the papers of a Scientology spy. Peter died of lung cancer in 2013. Now, Peter’s son is dead at 37.

Continued at https://tonyortega.org/2018/08/15/a...t-scientology-stories-ends-in-a-terrible-way/
    • Like Like x 1
  19. TorontosRoot Member