Customize

Steely Dan at Ruth Eckard Hall 9-14-13

Discussion in 'Celebrity News' started by sallysock, Sep 11, 2013.

1. sallysock Member

Lookie what I found on the Razzline. JohnP this is the shit.

Look at the names of the supporting musicians. WTF? Have I somehow missed a scilon link in the past 3 years?

Warning- Scilon link:http://therazzline.net/event/results.php?keyword=steely

Steely Dan at Ruth Eckard Hall - CLW

Date: 14 Sep 13
    Legendary jazz-rock icons Walter Becker and Donald Fagen -- STEELY DAN -- Mood Swings: 8 Miles To Pancake Day Tour stopping in Clearwater!

Legendary jazz-rock icons Walter Becker and Donald Fagen -- STEELY DAN -- are taking their Mood Swings: 8 Miles To Pancake Day Tour to Clearwater!

Concertgoers can expect an evening of the same high level of musical excellence that garnered raves from fans and critics alike, and which was described by the LA Times thusly: "Everyone gathered Friday evening was a believer, and they were treated to something close to rapture." The Chicago Sun-Times raved, "This was different. This was live. This was vibrant. This was a cascade of color carried along by Fagen, Becker, eight brilliant supporting musicians and three superb backing vocalists."

Onstage, Donald and Walter will be joined by those same eight brilliant supporting musicians, now appearing as The Bipolar Allstars (featuring Keith Carlock on drums, Freddie Washington on bass, Jim Beard on keyboards, and Jon Herington on guitar), along with The Borderline Brats — three sublime, soulful songbirds.

Together, they will treat audiences to selections from The Dan's extraordinary four-decade catalog, rich with infectious tunes, bodacious harmonies, irresistible grooves, and sleek, subversive lyrics, punctuated by blazing solo work and rich ensembles. As always with the adventurous Fagen and Becker, a few surprises may be in store as well.

Address:
    1111 McMullen Booth Road

Clearwater, Florida

Get driving directions »
    Website: http://www.rutheckerdhall.com/event/steely-dan/12922/?loc=event-image
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Anonymous Member

They will have a hard time finding places for all the audience's walkers. I mean Steely Dan?are they even still alive?
  3. RightOn Member

• Like Like x 1
  4. Anonymous Member

5. Anonymous Member

You do know that Walter was being satirical, yes?
    • Like Like x 1
  6. I AM POSITIVE THAT OP IS A SCIENTOLOGIST.
    I'VE WATCHED THAT PERSON.
    YOU KNOW, LURK MOAR. ;)
  7. RightOn Member

yes of course, which is why I said huh?
  8. LOL
    I would love to hear this story.
  9. sallysock Member

So, I usually post as anon when I say things like "fuck you,you loser fucking fail troll," but today I won't.
    Steely Dan. I myself am more of an eighties- Smiths, New Order kinda person, but appreciate them for some reason- they are iconic.
    Different Strokes for different folks.
  10. You have insulted me numerous times, in this forum.
    So, I don't like you or bother to read your posts.

A steely dan concert not something i could imagine you enjoying,
    I cannot see you enjoying anything, frankly, but to see others be as miserable as you.
    lemicsh Guilford
    This message by lemicsh Guilford has been hidden due to negative ratings. (Show message)
    • Dislike Dislike x 3
  11. Are you a Jesus freak anon?

*and no relation to your tastes in music.
    lemicsh Guilford
    This message by lemicsh Guilford has been hidden due to negative ratings. (Show message)
    • Dislike Dislike x 3
  12. Some of us still have taste and couldn't give a fuck what y'all kids are listening to now.
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
  13. sallysock Member

Sorry troll fail,, but the effort made me lol.
    Please someone go. See Steely Dan in their (his?) glory.
    Could be good times!
  14. Anonymous Member

What? And if it's true, sad.
  15. yourgay
    we're watching your movements
    cataloguing all
  16. u think we don't know who you really are?
  17. Anonymous Member

Onstage, Donald and Walter will be joined by those same eight brilliant supporting musicians, now appearing as The Bipolar Allstars(featuring Keith Carlock on drums, Freddie Washington on bass, Jim Beard on keyboards, and Jon Herington on guitar), along with The Borderline Brats — three sublime, soulful songbirds.
    Really?
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Anonymous Member

Back in the 90's I met Donald Fagan, sitting in a café. He was in the city rehearsing for their first live tour and had slipped away for a coffee. In conversation he confided that he felt that touring live was a terrible idea, that they'd always been a studio band and though various engineers were certain that the modern electronics of the day would enable them to maintain their sound in a live environment he remained wholly unconvinced. Also he was worried that nobody would remember who they were and that all anybody wanted to hear anymore was rap music.

It was a lot like what one might hear from a garage rocker having butterflies over his first club gig except that he was talking about 30,000 seat stadium shows. I did my best to reassure him that everything was going to be ok, lol.

Sweet guy, and all these years later, anybody willing to make scientology jokes while on stage at Ruth Eckerd Hall is alright by me.

I wish them the best.
    • Like Like x 7
  19. Should I care, Edward?
  20. Anonymous Member

Do not disparage the good name of Loretta Lynn. Country girl will kick your sorry ass.
  21. Anonymous Member

I think I wound up reading Naked Lunch at something like fifteen y.o. just to find the passage Steely Dan took their name from.
    • Like Like x 2
  22. eddieVroom Member

IIRC, Becker sort of looks like an alien.
    • Like Like x 1
  23. The Wrong Guy Member

The outstanding, groundbreaking drumming on their albums was done by the master jazz drummer and studio session drummer Steve Gadd.

Here's a video where he talks about the drum fills he used on Steely Dan's hit Aja.

• Like Like x 2
  24. Anonymous Member

SD is in a class by itself musically. My humble opinion. I used to date one of the guys in the band.
    • Like Like x 1
  25. sallysock Member

Do tell...
    • Like Like x 1
  26. On Aja, they also had Wayne Shorter of Weather Report on sax. Excellent line-up on that one.

In high school we were allowed to bring records to be played in art class. This otherwise heavy metal kid brought in Aja and we wore that fucking record out that school year.

OH god. LPs. I'm a fucking oldfag.
    • Like Like x 4
  27. Anonymous Member

There was a ritual about playing vinyl, especially LP, that I miss. The particular way to remove one from a sleeve, how to place it on the turntable, never a record player, how to use the Discwasher to make the surface pristine, then adjusting the volume according to the lead in hiss.

early CDs warned you about that. "You'll blow out your speakers relying on lead in hiss. There ain't none on a CD."

And the double album was always there for cleaning seeds from your smoke (seeds, I'm a fucking old fag)

Yep, I miss the ritual of vinyl.

Also, 70s Steely Dan is about as good as pop rock gets. Their charts are amazing, very jazzy, with great rock guitar and pop arrangements.
    • Like Like x 5
  28. Anonymous Member

Normally I'd say "LOL country" but my grandma wrote some lyrics for Loretta. I'll let you live:p.
    • Like Like x 1
  29. The ritual I miss the most was the gathering around to get stoned and listen to long-format Comedy. Carlin, Cheech and Chong, Firesign Theater (I know what's his face wound up a scilon, probably why they are Firesign who??? anymore), etc. The bowl was passed and everyone STFU and listened.

I wish I could turn kids onto some of this stuff anymore, but most won't STFU long enough, or turn off the electronic leash long enough to appreciate the artistry. ( My apologies in advance to anyone younger than me who has this skill...)

I admit I brought few albums to art class because I was already hip to tone arms and platters. My dad had a Marantz. When I sold it 3 years ago (when I could not repair it) people came out from under stones to buy it. I regret letting it go so cheap. I coulda got much more.

PS: I cleaned my funky brown weed between the covers of 'Frampton Comes Alive'. I wish I still had the Queen 'Nude Bicycle Race' poster...
    • Like Like x 2
  30. Anonymous Member

Hold on! Somebody from Firesign Thatre turned Scilon? Who was it? Bet they're not still in.
  31. Phillip Proctor, IIRC. One of those 'not in but really friendly' types. he shows up at some of those readings of L Ron's oh-so classic sci-fi fiction.

I am very disappoint.
    • Like Like x 1
  32. Anonymous Member

Ah, c'mon. That's not "in." Sounds like he was just curious about lots of things. Imagine how big-picture those ensemble members must have been.
  33. Maybe, maybe. But his involvement has been going on post-anon. I was trying to locate one of those threads with the CC or LA org hosting a reading from one of LRH's sci-fi vlassics, but I can no find now. Perhaps he is/was doing these readings as a working actor. Perhaps he needs simply needs pooning. I was always gobsmacked myself that anyone from that bunch would fall for Ron's schtick.
    • Like Like x 1
  34. Anonymous Member

I used a Sons Of Champlain LP. It was a great album and a dollar cheaper than most doubles. Don't know if they were a national or regional group. Later, it was the Skull and Roses LP (Dead) and then Dark Side of the Moon. Sounds like I might be a few years older than you...:D

(Never liked Frampton. Queen, otoh, can no wrong.)
    • Like Like x 1
  35. Be gentle! I was in high school at the time. That kid brought in Aja. I brought in Kansas and Styx. But I still listen to Steely Dan.I had good influences but was a still a little pop. The sheer range of a Marantz tuner guaranteed I was going to turn out a bit touched.

I am happy to pass the 'Troll the Ancient Anon' award to you:p, although I think any contenders would have to go through Kilia first. :rolleyes:
    • Like Like x 1
  36. Anonymous Member

We had Fisher gear.

And Kilia's got a decade on me. Go girl go.
  37. Amen.

Fisher's a nice un too. I got someone's old Denon now and I'm not giving it back.