Customize

Stenography For Sending Messages Via Images

Discussion in 'Protest Advice' started by SanguineRose, Jun 21, 2009.

1. SanguineRose Member

Hello,

I think Stenography could be really used for passing information in/out 100% undetected
    from poeple in Iran. Here is the Read Me File.

To make it a tad easy just unzip segocmd.zip in the same directory as where you unzipped steghide. Run stegcmd.bat and it will spawn a command prompt in the current directory it runs in (where you have stegohide). Use the commands in the howto to use or just type 'steghide' to get a listing of commands.

Links:
    http://theargon.com/achilles/steganography/steghide/steghide-0.5.1-win32.zip

Attached Files:

2. steganography can be detected very easily through special tests... but regardless, I don't think you need it if you -can- smuggle out images. why? because anyone smuggling out images is already on the shit list.
  3. It IS always good to have another means of communication.
  4. Ray Murphy Member

A few days ago I downloaded some program-code for steganography and modified it slightly to see if hidden messages could be detected in images and it was easy to do. The hard part would be re-assembling the alpha-characters to see what the actual message was.
  5. Stenography with pictures and videos is just one kind of stenography. There are other kinds, too.
  6. Ray Murphy Member

It's steganography. Stenography is the shorthand used by secretaries.
  7. Whatever. You know what was ment.
  8. There are many ways to hide a message. Purposeful misspellings, or not capitalizing the first letter of a sentence on purpose, for example. Alone, it means nothing, but over several posts, and to the person who knows the correct key to translate the errors, it can send a message. These are the most secure, I think, because there is little chance a government minder checking the posts is going to even become suspicious, and even if they do if they do not know they key they cannot break it.

The problem is that it is very complicated, and you have to get the key to those who are going to translate it somehow. Most preferably not written down in any form. They have to memorize it.

But my main point is that there are ways to hide messages that don't even require software, and that do not arouse suspicion.
  9. Ray Murphy Member

The correction was for others who may not have found information on it without the right term.
  10. Ray Murphy Member

Ok, message understood. Was that 9:15pm this Thursday or next?
  11. Last wednesday.