Customize

Suggestion: Anon Tarot cards!

Discussion in 'Think Tank' started by 0SailorXenu0, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Anonymous Member

Re: Suggestion: Anon Tarot cards!

Oh, I didn't realize the point of this was to just list off anons that you think would be funny on those cards based on the names.

Here I was thinking someone actually wanted to make something halfway right.

/me throws away work in progress for the minor arcana suits
  2. Re: Suggestion: Anon Tarot cards!

I just wanted to play a little 5 card Tarot or Texas Holdem with 'em.
  3. Re: Suggestion: Anon Tarot cards!

Keeping with the existing Anonymous Pantheon,
    I submit Basement Cat as The Devil Card

Tator-The_Devil-Basement_Cat-190_33.jpg.gif
  4. Anonymous Member

and game players will think we are cultural thieves :p

"Tarot, or Tarocchi as it was originally called in Italy, is one of the oldest card games still played. The deck with which it is played was invented around 1440, probably in the city state of Ferrara in northern Italy. Contrary to popular beliefs it was not the predecessor of the deck of cards that we usually use nowadays, quite the opposite. Another popular widespread myth is that the deck was originally used for divination. That field of application did not originate until late 18th century. In spite of a large number of references during more than three centuries to Tarot in literature and art, there is not a single indication that it was used for cartomancy before 1781, or that it was in any way connected to the occult or the supernatural.

The man who is to the largest extent to blame for the dubious invention of divination, using Tarot cards, is the Swiss Antoine Court de Gébelin (1719 -1784). He had in an inspired moment "realized" that the symbols on the Tarot cards originated from the old Egyptian religion, and that the deck had been invented by egyptian priests in consultation with the god Thot and was a symbolic representation of his wisdom. The word "Tarot" was supposed to mean "the royal road", from "tar", 'road', and "ro", 'royal'. Neither of those words can be found in Wallis Budge's extensive Egyptian dictionary. Inspired by Gébelin, a man who called himself Etteilla (his real name was Alliette) wrote several books and pamphlets on the subject, further developping his "theories", and so the whole thing was set rolling.

Today, sadly enough, the Tarot deck is to the largest extent seen as a tool for divination, instead of as the thing it originally represents: a rich and fascinating tradition of card playing. It is a deplorable affair that sybils and occultists have laid their hands on, and monopolized this cultural heritage."

Tarot Cards
  5. Anonymous Member

First person to post a Steven Wright quote in this thread loses the game:D
  6. Anonymous Member

If olive oil comes from olives, where does baby oil come from?
  7. TorontosRoot Member

I is sense goodie idea

Now we need to leak them into the psychic reader's businesses (how the fuck do we do that again without being charged for theft?)
  8. exOT8Michael Member

^^^^THIS is very creative!!
    :)
  9. Little_Sister Member

I will like this idea only if it comes to fruition.
  10. Re: Suggestion: Anon Tarot cards!

um... why would you assume that I didn't know that?

My first experience with the tarot was in a High school D&D campaign where the DM I played with used a tarot deck for the "deck of many things" magical item/gimmick (which was nessesary for obtaining that paticular campaign's magical mcguffin), as opposed to using the standard 52/54 poker deck or random roll.

Useless trivia: It's also used as the basis for the fictional game Sabboc from Star Wars.

There's nothing inherently special about a deck of cards, it's not like they can see the future. So-called "fortunetelling" is just cold-reading, wrapped in an aura of mysticism and woo.

It's just that the pedantic nerd in me gets irritated when people don't do any research, make idiotic assumptions, and dumber jokes. "You have the 'death' card you're gonna die! hurrrr!"
  11. eddieVroom Member

I bought a box of instant water, but I don't know what to mix it with.

I went home the other day and someone had broken into my apartment and replaced everything with an exact duplicate. I said to my roommate Steve, "Steve, someone broke into the apartment and replaced everything with an exact duplicate". He said "Do I know you?"
  12. Anonymous Member

slowpoke

http://forums.whyweprotest.net/1139715-post46/
  13. Anonymous Member

As a tarot game player, I find that most people aren't aware of it. Unlike most English speakers, my first exposure to tarot cards was the Italian game tarocco Ive read about in a book about games played around the world. Most English speakers have this rider waite tarot baggage when it comes to tarot and it makes it difficult for game players to rid them of these habits, speaking of The Magician, Major Arcana, and Pentacles. They expect tarot cards to conform to this GD orthodoxy because they haven't been exposed to anything else. Most of us have been given a very narrow view of what tarot is and it's taken as a standard. They expect that tarot cards must have these certain images but the French tarot game players will use decks that look very different. :D
    13856_8_jdt_la_balancoire.jpg
  14. Anonymous Member

There are some tarot decks on the market with only the 22 majors or trumps so a whole 78 card deck wouldn't really be necessary.
  15. webkilla Member

ace of cups is the 1 of cups

it must have two girls
  16. PresidentShaw Member

Fixd
  17. JohnnyRUClear Member

You are all going to be swallowed alive by the earth for this. You know that, right?

{stands well back}
  18. Anonymous Member

Unless we play JEU DE TAROT:D
  19. Anonymous Member

Ronald_McDonald_Tarot.jpg

tarot was made for card games, not for divination. ran ran ruuuu!:D
  20. The Wrong Guy Member

Hubbard on the Tarot and the Fool

Published by Lolek30 on Oct 12, 2013

He tells us about the Tarot and the Fool!
    • Like Like x 1
  21. Kilia Member

22. Anonymous Member

fap fap fap fap fap