Customize

Sunderland Rates Relief based talk

Discussion in 'Scientology Property Tax' started by Bluebell, Aug 31, 2010.

1. RolandRB Member

Re: Sunderland Rates Relief based talk

I got a couple of documents from Sunderland and one of them is a scan of the filled in application form for mandatory rates relief filled in by (presumably) the usual clam solicitor. Apparently, most of the services there are free so that is the place to go if you want to go Clear. Go from raw meat to a powerful Clear(tm) At Cause(tm) over MEST for just the price of a bus ride.
  2. Anonymous Member

post dox on web please
  3. Anonymous Member

4. RolandRB Member

Their scanned application form for Sunderland charitable rates relief.

scientologists application form.doc

Oh, I see it is the same thing.

Now we know we can all go from raw meat to OT VIII for free.
  5. charlie Member

I got this and nothing else

FOI Request 23rd August 2010

Request – Will you tell mewhat points were put across by the Church of Scientologythat persuaded the rates office to grant them charity relief of 80%anddiscretionary relief of 20% on their property at 51 Fawcett Street.

Response

FOI Request 23rd August 2010

Response – The reasons why the council granted relief is as follows:

In this case, the Council was satisfied for the purpose of the Local Government Finance Act 1988 and in respect of 51 Fawcett Street, Sunderland that on balance the COS (although not a registered charity) has been established for charitable purposes, in particular in light of the public benefit it asserts it provides to a section of the public in Sunderland.

The Council reached this decision based on the application documents submitted by the CoS, the Charity Commission’s latest guidance on “public benefit”, legal advice on the relevant case law and the provisions of the 1998 Act, and the observations from an inspection of the premises at 51 Fawcett Street carried out by officers of the council.

I enclose for your information a copy of the application form submitted by CoS. The supporting application documents are considered to be exempt from disclosure under Section 41 of the Freedom of Information Act 2000 on the grounds that this information has been submitted to the Council in confidence and its disclosure would constitute a potential breach of confidence actionable by CoS.

This information has been provided in response to a Freedom of Information request. You must acknowledge this fact in any subsequent use you make of the information. In addition you must undertake not to misrepresent either the source of the information nor infer any business or trading connection with the Council in the course of any subsequent use you make.

I hope this is satisfactory. If, however, you remain dissatisfied with our response to your request for information, you may request a further review. This will be removed from the Directorate and coordinated by the Council’s Information Manager. A request for further review should be addressed to the Information Manager, PO Box 100, Civic Centre, Sunderland, SR2 7DN.

If this fails to resolve your concerns then you have the right to apply to the Information Commissioner for a decision.

Yours sincerely

George Blyth
    Director of Financial Resources
  6. Anonymous Member

For info, WT and I got exactly the same response in regards to this specific point. I have suggested to SDC that they merge my appeal grounds with WT's. We need to pro-actively avoid the CoL situation where multiple overlapping requests get bundled and then denied en masse as being too time consuming.

Prob also worth giving them a bit of a break (couple of weeks or whatever) before pursuing further (like asking if they considered the opinion of the CC that the cult is not for public benefit, and asking them to reference the 'relevant case law' that they considered.

-JM
  7. Anonymous Member

NB: I do like the 'asserts it provides' - opens up asking what steps the SDC took to establish they weren't being lied to

(clearly none, 'cos they were)
  8. Anonymous Member

'Asserts it provides' is very sweet, because it opens the door wide for our argument that the council should not have taken at face value the assertions of the applicant - they should have fact-checked them.

IMO it opens the door wide and welcomes in that argument with a cocktail and a roaring log fire.
  9. RolandRB Member

They did not even ask for a price list.
  10. vegnej Member

Maybe we should wait until after the condems spending review later this month and then the local councils will know how much they've got to find as the cuts take affect.
  11. RolandRB Member

Just kick the infirm and disabled out on the streets to fend for themselves. Let them sell their bodies for a living. Better that than face expensive litigation from the cult.
  12. Anonymous Member

I think the FOI's for Sunderland are pretty much done TBH,

Dox we've got now
    * Sunderland application form (inc false claim to be an Australian charity)
    * Sunderland's reasoning

Just need the
    Supporting dox for the Scientology application

"Errors in the Charity Commission’s decision on Sci (England and Wales)" doc
  13. RolandRB Member

Dear Mr Rashleigh-Berry,

Thank you for your email of 6 October 2010, regarding the document that is being circulated by the Church of Scientology in the UK, which has been duly recorded.

Thank you for supplying this information.

Very often the quickest way to answer any enquiries that you have is to look on our website, especially the frequent questions covering the main issues that we are being asked about. You will also find the latest news, together with our publications and guidance. You can even sign up for email updates.

Yours sincerely,

Paula R Martin (Mrs)

Charity Commission Direct

------------------- Original Message -------------------
    Sent: 06/10/2010
    To: CCD Email Team
    Subject: Other

USER QUESTION
    Title : Mr
    First Name : Roland
    Last Name : Rashleigh-Berry
    Email Address : rolandberry@hotmail.com
    Daytime Telephone :
    Evening Telephone :
    Registered Charity Number:
    Postcode : E17 9NQ
    Topic : Other
    Subtopic :
    Subject : Church of Scientology document

Question : I thought you might be interested in this document that is circulated by the Church of Scientology in the UK and used by them to claim mandatory rates relief. “Errors in the Charity Commission’s decision on Church of Scientology (England and Wales)” http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/errors_in_the_charity_commission
  14. Anonymous Member

Good call Roland. Well done.
  15. RolandRB Member

Shame we will never see that important document entitled "Errors in the Charity Commission's Decision on the Church of Scientology (England and Wales)". The FOI request was denied. And if anybody else asks for it then they are acting in concert with other people who have requested information about the Church of Scientology and so it will be denied. So they are not going to say anything more to anyone about the Church of Scientology rates relief no matter how much you complain about it -- SO THERE !!!!

Mission Impossible: Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to get hold of a scanned copy and web it of the document entitled "Errors in the Charity Commission's Decision on Church of Scientology (England and Wales)" that the Sunderland City Council has in their possession. But this must not be done in concert with anyone. This tape will self destruct in five seconds.
  16. Anonymous Member

I bet Sunderland weren't the only people they sent it to.

Give it time, we'll get it.
  17. charlie Member

Well I guess it's time to phone the Sunderland Echo back up and see if they can get some answer's out of them , the reporter I spoke to over a month ago told me to get back in touch when they had replied.
  18. RolandRB Member

Yes, it's now time. Feed all the documents to them. Tell them to get in contact with me if they need help understanding it all.
  19. Anonymous Member

Attempting to find out what is happening in Sunderland since Eric Pickles urged local authorities to stop giving out tax breaks. Will advise.
  20. RolandRB Member

A proposed leaflet for Sunderland rate-payers
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Scientology Business Rates Relief at 51 Fawcett Street
    (Paid for partly by Sunderland rates payers)

Sunderland City Council is the only local authority in England and Wales to have granted a full 100% business rates relief to a Church of Scientology. This is composed of 80% “mandatory" rates relief (on the basis that the Church of Scientology is a charity) plus 20% discretionary top-up relief with 75% of that top-up relief paid for directly from Sunderland domestic rates. The 2010 rates on the 1st-3rd floors used by the Church of Scientology is £6,250 per annum and the local authority have back-dated this rates relief to 2006 amounting to approximately £30,000. This shortfall in the collection of rates will be financed by cuts in services to the people of Sunderland.

The premises at 51 Fawcett Street, as a Church of Scientology and a “Class V Org”, will have been set up for the purposes of "auditing" and training its members. Since Scientology "auditing" costs about £200 per hour and most Scientology courses cost upwards of a thousand pounds then you might wonder why this Church is considered to be a "charity" and thus worthy of support from the people of Sunderland.

Scientologists believe that 75 million years ago the then galactic ruler, Xenu, solved the problem of overpopulation in planets of neighbouring solar systems by calling people in for income tax inspections, injecting and paralysing them with a mixture of frozen alcohol and glycol and transported them to Earth in DC-8 identical space planes. He had them stacked them around volcanoes and exploded H-bombs above these volcanoes. The souls of these space aliens, thus set free, were then captured in sticky electronic beams, packed in ice and then shown 3D movies lasting several days, thus “implanting” them with false memories and now they inhabit our bodies as "body thetans". The aim of Scientologists is to go "Clear" to free themselves of the influences of these body thetans and later to become "OT" to rid themselves of the body thetans by telepathically commanding them to leave. At this point they believe they will gain supernatural powers. To go "Clear", a member will on average pay £40,000 to their Church and to become fully OT will typically cost £250,000. Again, this Church has been accepted as a "charity" by your local authority.

Eric Pickles MP, who is head of local government, released a statement on Friday 15 October 2010 regarding this:

"The Church of Scientology is not a registered charity, since the Charity Commission has ruled that it does not provide a public benefit. Nor are its premises a recognised place of worship.

"Councils may award charitable relief. They should take into consideration the Charity Commission's rulings when weighing up whether to do so.

"I do not believe the majority of the public would want their own council to be giving special tax breaks to such a controversial organisation."

Are you happy with the decision of your local council to grant 100% rates relief to this organisation? Are you happy to be paying for this? If not, then make your feelings known to them and get this decision reversed.
  21. charlie Member

Would it not be better to contact all Sunderland bases charities with this and ask them if they get 100%.

quote:
    I can confirm that the Salvation Army does receive the same rates relief of 80% plus the discretionary relief of 20% upon application to the local authority.

I hope this answers your question.
    WebMail Administrator

But how many others do?.
  22. RolandRB Member

I didn't say that they were the only charity in Sunderland to get 100% rates relief. I said they were the only Church of Scientology in the country to receive 100% rates relief.
  23. Anonymous Member

Sounds like a good plan. I like the text. Very clear.

Suggested main targets = local papers, councillors (incumbent and opposition).

Particularly whatever journo's byline went on the Pickles story.
  24. charlie Member

Thats not what I ment "do you receive 100% rates relief if not why not scientology does"
  25. RolandRB Member

That's not a good angle to use IMO. Better to saturate the town centre with the leaflet to get it into as many hands as possible. People (rate-payers) and ordinary businesses (businss rates payers). As for the businesses, it is not aimed at existing charities, it is aimed at ordinary businesses most of whom hate charity shops and such like because it means they must pay higher business rates to compensate. And in this case it is a far less deserving cause than a charity shop.
  26. charlie Member

OK I see what you mean.
  27. RolandRB Member

You might get a good distribution for this leaflet in Sunderland town centre quite apart from posting it through the letterbox of every business premises. I remember many years ago when picketing we distributed about 5000 leaflets once in Poole. Sunderland is a much bigger place with more people. If you could get 15,000 of these leaflets into the hands of the public then I could see that having an effect on the Council's decision.
  28. Bluebell Member

I've done a flier, just need to tweek it a little then will post it.
  29. Bluebell Member

The Salvation Army IS a charity, where as Sci is NOT.
  30. RolandRB Member

I don't have a pound sign on my keyboard so maybe you could change it to use pound signs instead of the word "pounds".
  31. charlie Member

Eh wat 15.000 FUCKING HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! think we need some help LOL.
  32. Anonymous Member

remember that if you get it into the local paper then you get all their circulation.

the Pickles thing gives you a way to pitch it to local journos.
  33. RolandRB Member

50 Anons, 300 each
    or
    25 Anons, 600 each
    or
    20 Anons, 750 each

....on a busy Saturday.

OG used to do it so why not Anons?
  34. vegnej Member

We could do it over a period of time. Maybe as well we could push the flyers through the door of local councillors and a few of the local residents into the bargain. Another angle look at all these cuts and the Scibots are getting rates relief at your expense.
  35. Anonymous Member

Windows? Hold down ALT then 0163 on numpad.
  36. RolandRB Member

One good way is for Anons in groups of three with one holding a large clear sign saying "YOU ARE PAYING SCIENTOLOGY'S RATES" and the other two handing out the leaflets. Do this all shopping hours on Saturday (have a morning and afternoon shift) on city centre streets with good foot traffic. You could get the 15,000 leaflets out in a day like this but if not use two Saturdays or even three.
  37. charlie Member

Been there done that still waiting .

quote:
    50 Anons, 300 each
    or
    25 Anons, 600 each
    or
    20 Anons, 750 each

....on a busy Saturday.

OG used to do it so why not Anons?

Slight lack of anons up here.
  38. Anonymous Member

Sunderland folks:

1) writetothem.com will tell you who YOUR councillor is, and you can (normally) email them through the site. Do it.

2) Someone local (charlie?) should offer an (anonymous) interview to the local press!!! Get your talking points ready in advance of the interview. Play up how scandalous it is - articulate mock outrage (better yet, real outrage) makes good copy.
  39. BigBeard Member

You might want to point out right after this statement it is at odds with the Charity Commision's determination that Cof$ is NOT a charity or for the public benefit.

That should give local businesses and tax payers a "WTF?" moment!

BigBeard
  40. Anonymous Member

Better still: Include quotes from communities minister Pickles that make that point.