Customize

Sydney - Two Anons vs OSA Special Briefing ANZO

Discussion in 'Asia Pacific' started by tamphex, Dec 13, 2009.

1. tamphex Member

Sydney - Two Anons vs OSA Special Briefing ANZO

This afternoon Sydney Anonymous was alerted to a meeting being held at AOSH ANZO.

Email heads up was as follows:

Being within walking distance of ANZO I'd thought it best to at least have a known
    presence during the meeting, especially considering the high possibility of Anonymous & Critics being on the agenda. I sent out a heads up to let other local Anons know that I was enroute and was soon joined by another a little ways up from the location.

A large carpak sits directly across from ANZO so it was there we decided to head to first, to get a view of how many public/staff were present outside, or arriving for the function. Observing from the carpark left us at the disadvantage of not letting our presence be known and also not being able to have an interaction OSA, when I say interaction I am referring to an adult conversation between two human beings. So we headed down the fire stairs and out the fire exit door, directly across the road from ANZO itself.

Our presence was instantaneously acknowledged by the 15 or so mix of staff and publics standing around - mobiles out of the pockets, staffers trying to casually usher people inside & ANZO security giving us their best practiced OT stare. At this point I had taken approximately two photos of the groups - these photos would not be really worth sharing as on inspection, they're somewhat blurry and offer nothing of real value. After about 8 minutes, the first of what was to be a handful of visits from our boys in blue, pulled up.

As soon as the police had arrived, a ANZO security guard with walkie talkie on his
    belt approached the officers, pointed us out. One officer began taking a written report whilst the other approached where we were sitting. Unfortunately, this officer was not too pleased with us. I'll give you the short of the long to save a wall of text, this is the jist (of the first conversation):

Officer :"Right.. can you tell me what you are doing here?"
    Me :"Sitting, drinking water, having a conversation."
    Officer :"No - what ARE you doing here - why are sitting across the road from this
    place - have you been taking photos?"
    Me :"Yes, I have taken two photos in the few minutes that we have been here."
    Officer :"With a camera? Taking photos of the people coming in and out of this building?"
    Me :"That is correct."
    Officer :"I want to see the photos - give me the camera."
    Me :"Uh. No. You can't have the camera - what exactly is the problem here?"
    Officer :"You are harrassing the individuals - you aren't allowed to take their photos."
    Me :"Actually, yes I am. This area is public - I can take a photograph of whatever and whoever I like. Can I ask again, what exactly is the problem?"
    Officer :"No - you can't take their photo - give me the camera"
    Me :"No - you show me what law it is exactly that I am breaking and I will gladly
    accommodate your request."

At this point the officer decided that glaring at me would help, so we stayed silently staring at each other for about 40 seconds.

Me :"Show me the law I'm breaking. That's all I'm asking of you."
    Officer :"Why are you here?"
    Me :"Ok fine. Myself and my friend of mine are here to observe a meeting that is taking place in this building at the moment. Why? Because we are part of a protest group which has been LEGALLY protesting this organization for close to two years now."
    Officer :"Show me your permit!"
    Me :"Permit? Permit for what?! We don't have signs, we are not wearing masks nor are we distributing anything. We are simply here to observe."
    Officer :"You just said you were part of a protest group - this is a protest, show me your permit!"
    Me :"We are not protesting officer - we're just sitting here. We havn't being harassing any guests to the building nor are we blocking any ingress or egress. If you could explain what law we are actually breaking, we will glady remove ourselves."
    Officer :"Look. Why don't you just PISS ORF!"

And promptly turns around and goes back to the other officer who is still taking a written report from the ANZO security guy which contains christ knows what.

For about another 10 minutes or so the officers are conversing with each other about 20 feet away whilst the staffers and Public still in the vicinity are giving us the biggest sneers & shit eating grins you can imagine. Very very mature.

Eventually the officers are joined by another squad car, so now there is 4 police officers talking together. Myself and the other Anon talk amongst ourselves as wait for the outcome.

Surprisingly, and thankfully, the original officer returns to us - firstly apologizing for his outburst and then explaining their position. Their position is one we all should know too well by now, when a call is made they need to answer it. He also said it was fine for us to be where we were and as long as no intimidation or harassment takes place, then it wasn't a problem. He bid us good night and left.

We watched as the police walked back to their vehicle and enjoyed the shit eating grins falling off each and every public and staffer - yes thats right, someone knows his laws.

It was now approximately 6:30pm and the briefing was supposed to start at 6 - yet ANZO still had a mix of staffers and publics milling around. Looking inside from where we were sitting it was observed to be about 25 - 30 inside and 20 or so outside at any given time. We also were quick to notice again a flurry of mobile phones being pulled out and sure enough, within 5 minutes of that happening a police squad car would slowly drive down by ANZO. These 3 cars we saw did not stop, but did look over at us as they went by. It should be noted here that the "road" outside ANZO would be better described as an alley - so this amount of traffic in the area was not common. Also, I had not taken any further photographs apart from the first 2 taken when we got there prior to the officers turning up.

This of course did not stop the various publics and staffers from differing on that - once again the same officer pulled up in a squad car. This time being a lot more friendly and open, and definitely willing to reach a compromise. When he informed that he had received numerous calls of harassment & intimidation since leaving the area, I gave him the utmost assurances that these claims were not only not true but I could prove it by showing him the timestamps on the camera in my possession if required.

We got to talking about the reasons why we protest the Organization, how long we had been doing it and the various outcomes so far. I also gave him a few examples of how the Organization responds to open criticism, with slander and, funnily enough, lies & harassment of those individuals involved with the protest group.

It was a given that the security of ANZO was not about to cease calling the officers out & waste their time - so we offered a compromise; I would not take out my camera & we would leave the vicinity at 8PM. Giving us another 60 minutes to observe the incredible paranoia generated by two individuals simply sitting across the road from ANZO. The officer agreed & we shook hands, with him again apologizing for coming across as somewhat angry earlier. Nice guy, definitely hope to cross paths with him again (which I'm sure will happen)

So we sat across the road from ANZO, having idle chit chat and casually watching as various blinds in the windows above us would open a few inches and shut again, staffers inside standing cross armed in the foyer giving us their best OT stare and the occasional public who would come and sit near us - I would assume in the hope that we'd speak to them giving them more then ample reason to once again cry wolf to our friends in blue.

Once 8PM swung around, we made good on our promise and left without a sound. A big thanks to The Fatman for joining me there tonight. Always good to have second person for backup in case situations become unnecessarily escalated. Also a massive thanks to the young officer, I'm glad to know there is still boys in blue who know when they're dealing with a person who knows & respects the law.

A message to OSA - you made absolute dickheads of yourselves out there tonight. How's it feel to fail so miserably right in front of the publics you pulled in for your oh-so-secret briefing? Your tactics are laughable and they're piss weak. Keep em coming, we're loving the lulz.

Total amount of individuals attending briefing: 50, mix of mostly public and staffers

TL;DR

ANZO has sekrit meeting - two anons arrive. OSA shits bricks, bawws to police. Police raawwr raawwr! Anon nah-uh, norty! Police oh-- kthnx bye.
  2. Rheinländer Member

Re: Sydney - Two Anons vs OSA Special Briefing ANZO

I love enturbulation like this. Great!
  3. Zhent Member

Fucking nice work!

Very interesting to hear the results of this event, 50 is a rather telling number I think.

Also bloody well done for sticking up for your rights! I for one am certainly tired of ignorant cops hassling me over legal photography.
  4. Sponge Member

Nicely inserted:
    tamphex.jpg
  5. tamphex Member

Hahaa fucking saved :D
  6. AnonKiwi Member

u r still doin it right
  7. TinyDancer Member

Great job. Pleasantly surprised you got an apology. He did well to pull his head back in and avert a complaint. I'm sure he learned a thing or two today.

OSA... /facepalm. Every time you lie, you innoculate more people against you. Idiots.

[IMG]
  8. Re: Sydney - Two Anons vs OSA Special Briefing ANZO

icamemega.jpg

You guys are awesome, great job
  9. tamphex Member

Thanks guys - and yeah do hope that young police officer at least took on board a little of what I had to say. I didn't want to escalate the situation but at the same time I wanted to make it clear I wasn't about to be moved on by the Organization of Scientology just because they "felt" harassed. Once again they failed miserably to shatter & suppress.

Perhaps a few of the public attending took notice of that? We can hope.
  10. timthephoto Member

gentlemen - most excellent enturbulation i must say. :D

was that "calling the cops like an old lady scared" ?????
  11. stuwyatt Member

Thanks for the report Tamphex. Well done for standing your ground and showing unlimited patience towards the police officer :)
  12. RightOn Member

Ecellent job of keeping your cool and knowing how to present the laws back to the police in a calm manner.
    Something has to be done about the cult constantly wasting police time and the money of the people in that town.
    Three cop cars is ridiculous for two people doing absolutely nothing.
    Hopefully them crying wolf this time will at least alert police to the cult's false claims.

I know the police have to respond to a call, but maybe now they may be more aware of the cult's deception.
    NICE you received an apology, that almost never happens!

Brave Anons and fucking great job!
  13. Ann O'Nymous Member

Well done.
  14. CBAnon Member

[gif]clapping crowd[/gif] Bravo. You did good fellas.
  15. amaX Member

Once again the cult fails hard.

Good job, Anons!
  16. xenubarb Member

Fabulous! I wonder *how many calls* the PD had to field on this. Cops here have told us several times that the non-emergency number rings off the hook when we raid. One of these days I intend to get records and determine how much police time/resources are wasted by this whiny cult.

I looked up our city's municipal codes online, and found that it is an offense to phone in nuisance complaints. You might be able to do that as well.
  17. RightOn Member

Barb you rock, thay would be awesome. DO EEETT!
  18. CantPickaName Member

then make short hit-run raids so no protesters are there when they show up

then come back again....rinse and repeat
  19. DeathHamster Member

In Toronto, during the OG pickets, they were told to STFU, stop calling, and hire an off-duty police officer (ka-ching!) to protect them from the dangerous copyright terrorists and illegal lane-changers. They'd spend a while bending the ear of the officer before the picket, but we only had occasional problems with authoritarian types with limited clue-catching skills.
  20. HellRazor Member

Good work guys!
  21. T.W.C_Anon Member

Here in Canada there is avenue for private citizens to press charges against someone for breaking the law. Even without police cooperation. Is this the same in Australia? One of anonymouss biggest fallacies imo since chanology started is failing to press the issue regarding the cult wasting the police time when we raid/protest.
  22. Timmibal Member

No.

Unless you're dealing with rent-a-cops, it's ALWAYS better to stick around and show the officers that you are, in fact, not doing anything illegal and that their time is being wasted by that lot over there making false reports.

You do a runner, there's the potential to assume that you 'know you were doing something wrong'.
  23. mrred81 Member

Technically yes, but noone does it, like literally, noone.

Prosecutions for smaller matters are done by Police, larger matters by the DPP, Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions and anything above a fine usually receives legal advice before proceeding seeing if the elements of the offence are provable or even exist.
  24. CantPickaName Member

sorry...i really didnt mean everytime you protest...maybe when youre in the neighborhood and got 5min to kill
  25. xenubarb Member

Here's the problem.

Cult calls, bawww we are "doing something."
    Cops come, we're not doing anything illegal.

At this point, it is a matter of "he said, she said." The police have repeatedly told us that they must respond to complaints, and if we're not doing anything when they arrive, it doesn't mean we weren't doing it earlier.

The ticket would be to set up a camera to record the raid with time stamp enabled. That way, footage can be reviewed by the officers. This is evidence that can be used to demonstrate that the cult is lying and making nuisance complaints, at which point the municipal code regarding such calls can be invoked. Of course, most of our video capability is limited, so I would get an officer to sign a form stating that he had reviewed this video and saw no violations between timestamp----timestamp, at which point the video could be rewound and taped over.

This is the only thing I can think of that would satisfy the legality of our raids, and back up assertions that the clams are a bunch of whiny pussies who are trying to PA our police departments.
  26. mrred81 Member

BTW for future Sydney raids start to look at the numbers on the bonnet/side of the cop cars that arrive

For example
    NT14

The first two letters indicate which LAC/station it comes from, NT is newtown, CI is city, RF is redfern etc but they're the ones you'd be likely to encounter.

Usually the numbers are more interesting though, a '14' or '10' car, eg NT14 is a mobile supervisor so the person driving this car if they rock up they've been asked to attend to provide direction or assess the situation so theyre the ones that you should speak to and rationalise your position so they can direct appropriately.

eg. http://darrenbutterworth.com/USERIMAGES/IMG_0208.1.jpg thats the mobile supervisor car for Newtown
  27. Re: Sydney - Two Anons vs OSA Special Briefing ANZO

"Light buffet" - pretzels and chips.
  28. Herro Member

Only thing remotely of value in this thread and it came from icanhazcheeseburger? What... I... how... brb, annyuerism.
  29. randomx Member

Excellent ! I`m a fan.
  30. mongrel Member

Welcome to today's lesson children: Successfully Dealing with Cops 101

1. Know the law.
    2. Be polite.
    3. ??????
    4. [STRIKE]Profit[/STRIKE] Receive apology and educate formerly-hardass cop
  31. Barry41 Member

Great job, and good on ya for standing your ground. It's always good when police officers get a first hand experience of Scientologists being dishonest with them.
  32. Re: Sydney - Two Anons vs OSA Special Briefing ANZO

Haha, minimum effort - maximum outcome.

Good shit :D
  33. WTF Member

[STRIKE]You should have used Anonymous Orange tech--be a mouthy smartass, tell the cop to fuck off and get your pathetic ass v&[/STRIKE]

Nicely handled.

I am not familiar with "peaceable assembly" statutes in .au. Are you actually required to have a permit to openly and peaceably communicate on public property?
  34. Re: Sydney - Two Anons vs OSA Special Briefing ANZO

Police officer 1: Sir, there are some young people over there creating a disturbance. Can we get them on something?

Senior police Officer: Shut up faggot, there's a federal police operation going on here at this moment. Go and apologize then get the fuck out of here.
  35. psychoutcults Member

That's just what happened in Albuquerque in November. The cops came and told us to remove our masks because it was considered an act of violence to wear them during a protest.

This was interesting because no police officers had said that to ABQ anons since protests began almost two years ago, and the city laws say nothing to that effect. Although we insisted that it was legal for us to wear masks, the police insisted that we had to take them off, and we obeyed their instructions.

Later in the protest, the police came back, said they were wrong, and apologized. (I wish I had been there to enjoy that part, but I had already left for a long drive to Texas.)

Clearly the scilons had called and fed an uninformed policeman the line about masked protests being acts of violence. I wish there were legal consequences for scilon crap like that. But maybe educating cops about scilon lies is the best possible consequence.
  36. _You_ Member

Act of violins?

violin_playing_robot.jpg
  37. Herro Member

bsg-six-cylons.jpg
  38. _You_ Member

The permits in Sydney(dunno about other states) are more about courtesy, not law.

http://www.nswccl.org.au/issues/protest.php
  39. Anon556 Member

Fuck yeah ASYD.
  40. auchraw Member

thanks, guys, great story, way to go.