Customize

Technology works and it helps Indian women.

Discussion in 'News and Current Events' started by White Tara, Aug 29, 2014.

1. White Tara Global Moderator

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/28/atm-india-rape_n_5730932.html

Every 30 minutes a woman in India is raped and many never see justice because they are too fearful to report their attackers to a corrupt police force.
    But a new innovation may soon change that.
    The police in India are notoriously understaffed, underpaid and untrained to handle crimes against women, The New York Times reported last January.
    Since their compensation is meager, many officers often rely on bribes and pay little attention to victims who don’t have political connections.
    Realizing the need for women in India to be able to securely and confidently report crimes that have been waged against them, Odisha police officer Joydeep Nayak invented the Instant Complaint Logging Internet Kiosk (iClik). The device is modeled after an ATM’s design and allows users to log a complaint to the police in a similar fashion to the way they would take out money, according to India Today.
    Users can file a complaint in one of three ways. They can manually type their issue onto the machine, speak into the machine or submit a written statement.
    More at link;
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/28/atm-india-rape_n_5730932.html
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Disambiguation Global Moderator

I like Joydeep Nayak
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Anonymous Member

But how does that help them? From what I can gather, women are to feared to go to police station, because police is corrupt (so maybe they'll want to cover it up or, if a police officer is an acquaintance of the rapist, even tell the rapist). Even if they file a complaint through this iClick, they'll have to include their personal data, so the police can contact them, they'll have to recognize the attacker (that's what many women often fear too) and meet the rapist in court (perhaps the judge is corrupt too).

As much as the general idea to help victims of rape is great, iClik is not the answer. It doesn't matter HOW a woman files a complaint, because she'll be contacting those same corrupt police officers and she'll have to go through the same procedures to punish the rapist/s. At the end, the rapist will know who reported them, and it's not granted that they'll be punished anyway. I wish I am wrong, but I suspect noone will use this iClik, because this doesn't solve the problem, and women still will fear to report rape.
  4. White Tara Global Moderator

No, it should not be necessary, but as we know the system is diabolical in India. If this iClik system helps women report where they may formally have been to afraid to in person then that is a good thing. If the reports are in a central database, then the local investigating police are less likely to sweep a report under the rug, even as a favour for a friend.