Customize

The atmosphere of Iran, from before the election up to now.

Discussion in 'Iran' started by maxoud, Sep 23, 2009.

1. maxoud Member

Before the election the election the atmosphere allover Iran was promising. Just some weeks before the election the media was relatively open and all candidates had somehow equal time to speak about their plans in our state TV. (Now lots of people say that the regime gave that semi freedom and made people hopeful about future to convince them to take part in the election.)
    In Tehran the atmosphere was in a way that everyone was sure that the greens are going to win. In the upper part of the city almost everyone and the lower part of the city also majority were of the greens. (I'm living in the lower part of Tehran myself) We were celebrating our probable Victory every night before the election on streets. I have friends from different cities from our university, all of them said that the majority in their cities were also of the greens and voted for Musavi. People in rural areas were mainly fans of AN (because of all the charity ad money he gave to them) but it wasn't that important as 68/5% of Iranians are living in cities.
    After election the result was shocking.63%??! I can't say all, but most of the people (even some of AN fans) believed that it wasn't the real result. From that time some just said that the regime fooled us into voting and then chose whoever it wanted regardless of the real election result, and we can't do anything about it. But some others came out to show their protest and the first impressive protests happen. When we saw millions of protesters together with us we thought that maybe the regime and on the top of it, khamenei, would call for re-vote.
    But he came and gave that ugly Friday sermon and he shows that he is the leader of coup himself and after that they arrested and beat and killed lots of protesters. So lots of people didn't risk their lives and didn't go on the streets to protest anymore, and some still did although their numbers were very less than before.
    To be realistic, now the atmosphere is not like first days after the election. It's hard for lots of people to get the news of the greens. Satellite is forbidden and Internet is filtered. Just some people (mainly those in Tehran) have satellite or use proxies to get the news of the other side. And the state TV is continuously working on the minds of people with its lies about the greens and its fake trials and etc.
    Of course the atmosphere in Iran is not like just after the election, (Like the atmosphere of this site which is not like the first days after election) but still there are hundreds of thousands or maybe millions of aware people in Iran who are waiting for an appropriate time (like Qods day) to show their protest again and say that they'll never forget all the frauds of the regime and they'll never let the tyrannical regime has an easy time In persians motherland anymore.
  2. Paleene Member

Thank you very much for your report, Maxoud. It gives me, as a total stranger to Iran and her people, very valuable insight. I always feel it isn't right to look at the situation of Iranians in Iran from outside the country with all the political, economical and cultural differences inbetween. But being human, there is so much in common as well.

So, I appreciate very much that you took the time for this post! Thank you again.
  3. Visionary Member

Thanks.
    This was very informative for those of us with limited connections to what is going on in Iran right now.
  4. Bless You M- we really value your input -
    Love n support to you and all your brothers and sisters inIran

from Ireland
    (*)
  5. Ariss Member

Thank you Maxoud, very much for your personal report. I am just happy to see someone from inside Iran, reporting from 1st person view. But I am perhaps not alone with my worries about your safety. God bless you and keep you safe from the regime's henchmen, for we do not need another martyr for the cause. There are way too many of them already.

And just never give up hope. Just remember Obama's speech: "Democracy cannot be imposed on any nation from the outside. Each society must search for its own path, and no path is perfect. Each country will pursue a path rooted in the culture of its people and in its past traditions." Never give it up. You will succeed eventually. But we will need you alive, safe and sound to tell the story. We would love to listen to you even then...

With many thanks:
    Ariss from Eastern Europe
  6. maxoud Member

tnx all of you for your comments and advice.:)

I think it can help in clarifying the situation here to write about what Roe said.

I think there are some differences between the time of shah's regime and now. That time Khomeini was people's religious leader and most of the people were religious. People felt urged to get his messages and act on them. When he was saying "Islam is endangered because of the regime" he could easily change people's minds about Shah and his regime. Also that time the regime didn't have this much advertisement tools for itself.
    Now we don't have a leader like Khomeini. Religious people are less than that time but still they are in majority. Regime is advertising that Islam is endangered because of the greens. They are saying that the greens take their orders from the west. They are saying that the messages of the greens are full of lies…
    As a result: They are very pessimistic about the messages of the greens. It's hard to discern truth and falsity these days in Iran. It's not like that if they get the messages of the greens they'll easily change their minds.

Just for an example of state TV works:

The day after the soccer match in B&W, with no sound, they showed an interview many times in news in which first they showed the fans in the stadium all in blue! ( the color of the home team) Then the reporter asked the manager of the home team: why doesn't your team wait until the camera team can repair their facilities? And he answered: we should be professional and start our matches on the time according to schedule. Then they went on with some interviews with the other people in charge and etc. At the end of it they again showed the fans in blue shirt and with blue flags...
  7. Jakomeyu Member

congratulations on 100 posts!
  8. Ariss Member

Maxoud, you are doing a great job here, again.

To add what you have said: I do not think the deeply religious nature of the Iranian society would be a problem that would inhibit a fully democratic development of the country. I believe that the roots of the problem rather lie in the way people are practicing their religion. I mean, it is great thing if one is a believer, but there is a serious danger if one mixes up belief with blind obedience. A believer should decide whom to follow: the ayatollahs or God? They should make clear, whom do they worship: Some clerics who claim to know the truth or Allah? Because there are times when the two teachings do not necessarily coincide (take the example of raping in prisons). Being religious does not mean you have to be blind. Sure, it's easier to just "do what they say", and think it makes you a pious person. But it does not. If only people would open their eyes... and not just blindly believe what those men say who behave as if they were living gods on earth...!

I would go further in this line of thought, and state the reverse of the regime's propaganda: religion is endangered because of their governance. If the priests associate themselves with a corrupt and unpopular system, that will make the belief itself hateful before the eyes of the people. It is because of the enforced religion that people starting to have enough of it. Give it a few more decades of islamist rule, and you won't find a true believer in the entire country, only "career-believers" at best.