Customize

The beauty of Anonymous

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by XenuChan, Feb 1, 2008.

?

Is anonymous a beautiful thing?

Yes 10 vote(s) 62.5%
No 1 vote(s) 6.3%
It depends 3 vote(s) 18.8%
I do it for the lulz 2 vote(s) 12.5%
  1. XenuChan Member

The beauty of Anonymous

I guess you could say that this is a rambling with a purpose. Hopefully my words will be like a pep-talk for the Legion.

Anonymous is a beautiful thing. Anonymous is my religion. It is the gathering of many different people from all walks of life into one collective entity with no face and no name. Anonymous is humanity unfiltered. There is no need to be politically correct, there is only truth. Anonymous is an entity which expresses all of it's emotions be they good, bad, or otherwise. Anonymous does not care, and yet, we are on the side of justice. Is this not the work of something noble? Does not the spirit of humanity seek to do good, even though at the same time it can be quite cruel? Anonymous is my religion because I believe in the goodness of man. Anonymous delivers. Anonymous will set you free.
  2. Anonymous is exactly that: anonymous. We exist without existing, act without acting and strike without striking. Anonymous is no one and everyone. Anyone can be anonymous, and Anonymous can be anyone.

Meh, best I've got. Time for Monk and Psych now.
  3. ICanHasThetan Member

Hell yes Anonymous is beautiful. Anonymous is legion. Anonymous is strong. Anonymous is black. Anonymous is white. Anonymous is gay. Anonymous is straight. Anonymous is male. Anonymous is female. Anonymous is young. Anonymous is old. Anonymous is everything and everyone.
  4. Anonymous128 Member

And that's the reason it can be both beautiful and repulsive.

The movement to take down the Co$ is just one of many facets of Anonymous.

Never make the mistake of forgetting its other faces.
  5. JinTian Member

Anonymous' true beauty is NSFW.
  6. Whitehat Member

Anonymous is something that in all respects to humanity... Shouldn't be possible..

Anonymous is the only place where one is truely equal to one another.

While anonymous, status, money, public ability, all the norms of human advancement are discarded or Ignored.
  7. Yes. More times than I can count, YES.

Becoming a part of this movement has become one of the most rewarding experiences in my life, and this is being said a week before the first protest has even begun. It's given me more faith in the power of individual people - in the end, we will have honestly changed the world in some way. Made a mark in history. Being a part of something like this gives me a morale boost that thoughts of individual glory pale in comparison to.

This is proof of how radically global interconnection is going to affect the future.
  8. Anonnynonny Member

Oh god yes.
    Bringing true knowledge to the masses is what makes it beautiful, I think. It is somewhat scarring to know that these horrible things are happening to victims of Scientology without penalty(yet), but I feel better knowing that a difference is being made rather than not knowing at all.
    Knowing that we are informing people of the truth is beautiful.
  9. IBoughtADog Member

I voted: "It depends."

Anonymous in this venture? Yes. A thousand times, yes, for all the reasons stated already.

Anonymous in other areas though can be a bit ugly. If you've been Anonymous for a while, you know what I mean.

But then, isn't that the nature of humanity? Both light and dark sides? So that is a bit of beauty in itself.

Hopefully we see more of Anonymous in causes such as this one though. :p
  10. Kamizar Member

Im with you on that...

Too bad it takes massive corruption to expose such beauty...
  11. slashteegee Member

I too had to vote "it depends". Up until this scientology thing started I was content to Lurk Moar because some of the shenanigans were just embarrassing. I didn't agree with the DDoS attack. The more I learn about scientology the more I feel that I can no longer by a bystander.
  12. Anonnynonny Member

This.
  13. anon11 Member

100% agree. That's what I voted, too.
  14. Amomynous Member

I was tempted by "It Depends", but I went with beauty.

Why?

Yes, Anonymous can represent some of the darkest, most disturbing, and ugliest parts of humanity.

Maybe I'm just an idealist, but I think that's overshadowed by the rest, though, and I guess on some level, I just want to believe in the inherent good of Homo Sapiens Sapiens.

Anonymous gives me hope for humanity. It has incredible potential which it might not achieve, but you know what? Maybe it will...

And for me, that's enough.

Beauty it is.
  15. Tuesday Member

I went with beauty. And here's why:

Anonymous is.
    Anonymous is not.
    Anonymous is everything in between.

Yes, there is an ugly side to it. I don't deny that (it would be silly to do so) but I don't begrudge it either. Because Anonymous is all things, when I am Anonymous I am all things. I am compassionate, I am ruthless. I am love, I am hate. I am the hacker, I am the speaker.

I am Anonymous and in that I can change the world because we are Anonymous and we will change the world.

How could that be anything but beautiful?
  16. DrAdlaiAtkins Member

So Anonymous had an awkward adolescence. Didn't we all?
  17. Amomynous Member

Hahahaha!!

Wonderfully said. :D
  18. Anonymous316 Member

Anonymous: Its a beautiful thing.

Ten thousand burning cats and mutilated corpses couldn't change my opinion of Anonymous at this point in history. This event is Anonymous' chance to show that it can do some good, and I'll be damned if this isn't one of the most inherently good things that has ever happened to this world. This, for the first time, is about something more than Anon. This is redemption.
  19. nova.anon Member

If a little gurocat or goatse is going to bother you, how are you to stomach the greater evils? Just a thought.
  20. Anonymous is the all singing all dancing crap of the world.
  21. Anonymous is Badgers
    Lots of Badgers
    Knowlege and Exposure are Mushrooms
    Scientology is Snake

Badger, badger, badger, badger. Mushroom, mushroom! Snake!
  22. Anon Y. Mouse Member

I agree with the opening post that Anonymous is my religion. In fact, I talked to an old woman on the bus today who was trying to get me to convert to Xianity. I told her, "Sorry, my religion is known as Anonymous." She did not know what I was talking about.
  23. AnonEmeece Member

Lawl

I think Anonymous is a religion in some ways. It has its followers, but they follow each other. Not a single entity, but the whole community.
  24. Anaunimus Member

Anonymous are the new scum.

Transmetropolitan fans will understand. The rest of you can google it. It's awesome comic. Anonlikeable.

While you're at it, check out Dark Knight Returns (batman awesomeness) and Watchmen (ridiculous awesomeness + in top100 NYT books of the century list + Rorshach = best suit-hat-guy ever)

Also, awesome awesome awesome. I don't know any other adjectives.
  25. anonymusicz Member

Re: The beauty of Anonymous

This is our world now... the world of the electron and the switch, the beauty of the bandwidth. We make use of a knowledge already existing without paying for what could be dirt-cheap if it wasn't run by profiteering gluttons, and you call us criminals. Anonymous explores... and you call us criminals. Anonymous seeks after knowledge... and you call us criminals, Anonymous seeks after lulz... and you call us criminals. We exist without skin color, without nationality, without religious bias... and you call us criminals.

You build atomic bombs, you wage wars, you murder, cheat, and lie to us and try to make us believe it's for our own good, yet we're the criminals.

Yes, Anonymous is a criminal. Anonymous' crime is that of curiosity. Anonymous' crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. Anonymous' crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive Anonymous for.

We are Anonymous. You may stop the individuals, but you can't stop us all... after all, we're all Anonymous.

---
    Heavily Modified and borrowed from "The Consience of a Hacker" by the Mentor.

Some things change, but they largely stay the same. This same type of information explosion caused the popping up of hacker groups such as CotDC, LoD, l0pht, and many others. The only difference now? We are a faceless group. That of a collective mind. The goals are the same (Freedom of Knowledge/Information), the methods have changed little, only the faces (or lack thereof) have changed. Cult of the Dead Cow tried to attack the Co$ for rm group'ing alt.religion.scientology. Now, Anonymous does it for doing the same type of maneuver on YouTube.

The search for truth can never be ugly. The search for freedom can never be ugly. And yes, Anonymous has had a interesting adolescence, but has matured (a little, after all; we still are doing it for lulz). It's interesting to see where it will go from here....