Customize

The death of Debian Linux operating system founder Ian Murdock

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by The Wrong Guy, Dec 31, 2015.

1. The Wrong Guy Member

R.I.P Ian Murdock, Founder of Debian Linux, Dead at 42 | The Hacker News

Ian Murdock, the founder the Debian Linux operating system and the creator of apt-get, has passed away.

Yes, it is very sad to announce that Ian Murdock is not between us. His death has touched the entire software community. He was just 42.

The announcement of Murdock death came out via a blog post on Docker website, where Murdock was working as a member of the technical staff.

The cause of death is unclear at present, but Murdock tweeted the same day that he would commit suicide that night. His Twitter account had since been deleted.

However, at that time, some people speculated that Murdock’s account had been hacked and that the tweets were not by him.

Murdock posted some Tweets on Monday suggesting he had been involved in a police case and has been beaten by the police and charged with battery.

However, neither Docker, nor the San Francisco Police Department immediately commented on Murdock’s actual cause of death.

Murdock developed Debian in August 1993 — and yes the “ian” in the project’s name is from Ian Murdock.

Continued here:

Debian Founder Ian Murdock's Tweets Are Raising Eyebrows | Techaeris

Excerpt:

It all started with his first tweet today where he announced that he would commit suicide.

i’m committing suicide tonight.. do not intervene as i have many stories to tell and do not want them to die with me #debian #runnerkristy67
    — Ian Murdock (@imurdock) December 28, 2015

He has since declared that he won’t take that drastic step and over the course of many tweets, he has released some of the details which prompted these tweets. Apparently, he was attacked by the police for “knowing” on his neighbor’s door. We’re not sure exactly what he means by that, though it could be an auto-correct for “knocking.”

I’ll write more on my blog later. But the police here beat me up for knowing on my neighbor’s door.. they sent me to the hospital.

He also tweeted that his bail for “assault against a police officer” was $25,000. This implies that he spent some time in jail. He has announced that he’s writing up his experiences and that he’ll publish them on his blog.

i’m going to post my case on my blog.. if anyone can post it on hacker news or wherever i would apprieciate it

We’re waiting for more details and we’ve reached out to him via Email and Twitter. We’re also aware that he might have lost control of his Twitter account and someone else might be behind these tweets. We will be sure to post any updates when we hear more, either from his Twitter feed or from his blog. He has also invited help from anyone who can give it.

(1/2) The rest of my life will be devoted to fighting against police abuse.. I’m white, I made $1.4 million last year.

(2/2) They are uneducated, bitter, and and only interested in power for its own sake. Contact me imurdock@imurdock.com if you can help. -ian

Some of Murdock's tweets have been archived here:

Twitter references:

Twitter latest:

Search:

Wikipedia:
  2. The Wrong Guy Member

Here are his last tweets, archived at http://pastebin.com/yk8bgru5, in order:

5:13pm: i'm committing suicide tonight.. do not intervene as i have many stories to tell and do not want them to die with me #debian #runnerkristy67

5:14pm: watch my blog later http://ianmurdock.com

5:17pm: https://t.co/I1CSCJErWf

5:20pm: I'll write more on my blog later. But the police here beat me up for knowing on my neighbor's door.. they sent me to the hospital.

5:20pm: Then beat me up some more.

5:21pm: My bail for "assault against a police officer" are all that: $25,000.

5:22pm: I'll write more much later. They still don't have cameras on all police so I'm going to use my somewhat celebrity to hopefully stop this.

5:23pm: Quote: "We're the police, we always win."

5:25pm: My career is over now, so I'll be gone soon.

5:27pm: Maybe my suicide at this, you now, a successful business man, not a NIGGER, will finally bring some attention to this very serious issue.

5:30pm: I'm not committing suicide today. I'll write this all up first, so the police brutality ENDEMIC in this so call free country will be known.

5:34pm: if anyone wants to come over and see what the police did to me i would be more than happy for that

5:35pm: they beat the shit out of me twice, then charged me $25,000 to get out of jail for battery against THEM

5:36pm: i had to go to the hospital

5:36pm: they followed me home

5:36pm: then they pulled me out of my house and did it again

5:37pm: i had to have stitches

5:37pm: then followed my home from there

5:38pm: i asked if they had cameras

5:38pm: they said no

5:45pm: shall i post pictures for all my bruises from my against the police officers?

5:45pm: where they put you in a cell with absolutely no instructions whatever aside from the spell on the floor in piss?

5:48pm: Writing up my experience for others to hopefully prevent others from police abuse then you won't hear from me again

6:00pm: @jacksormwriter wants me dead

6:06pm: i'm going to post my case on my blog.. if anyone can post it on hacker news or wherever i would appreciate it

6:07pm: i'm hoping coming from a successful white guy it will help everyone

6:31pm: (1/2) The rest of my life will be devoted to fighting against police abuse.. I'm white, I made $1.4 million last year.

6:33pm: (2/2) They are uneducated, bitter, and and only interested in power for its own sake. Contact me imurdock@imurdock.com if you can help. -ian

6:41pm: The police are uneducated, evil, and sadistic. Do not trust them.

6:42pm: The rest of my life is to fight against the police.. they are NOT friends, so don't ever ever believe otherwise.

6:49pm: What does one have to get education wise to become a police officer.. asking for a friend.

7:03pm: "We're the police, we can do whatever the fuck we want.."

7:08pm: This was right after the female officer ripped off my underwear.. I guess that's not considered rape if you're not a woman being raped.

7:12pm: I am a white male, make a lot money, pay a lot of money in taxes, and yet their abuse is equally doned out. DO NOT CROSS THEM!
  3. The Wrong Guy Member

Debian founder Ian Murdock has died at 42 under suspicious circumstances | TechSpot

Ian Murdock, the man who founded the Debian Linux operating system, has died at the age of 42. His death was announced in a blog post by Docker CEO Ben Golub, but no details regarding the cause of death were mentioned.

Murdock posted a series of increasing erratic tweets on Monday, following an incident with police over the weekend. Sources close to the San Francisco police department said that officers were called in to respond to reports of a man, Murdock, trying to break into a home at the corner of Steiner and Union St at 11.30pm on Saturday, December 26, according to ZDNet.

Murdock was reportedly drunk and charged with two counts of assault and one for obstruction of an officer. He was treated for an abrasion to his forehead and taken to hospital. At 2:40 AM early Sunday morning, December 27, he was arrested after banging on the door of a neighbor in the same block, although it’s not clear if it was the same house he had been trying to break into several hours earlier. A medic treated him on the scene for unknown injuries and Murdock was taken to the San Francisco county jail. He was later bailed out with a $25,000 bond.

As Murdock tweeted his experience, claiming that he had been beaten by the police, one post read: "i'm committing suicide tonight.. do not intervene as i have many stories to tell and do not want them to die with me #debian #runnerkristy67.” It’s not clear what the second hashtag refers to, although some have speculated that it is a password.

Continued here:
    http://www.techspot.com/news/63314-debian-founder-ian-murdock-has-died-42.html