Customize

The Freewinds is set up for the delivery of New OT IX & X!

Discussion in 'Martin Ottmann' started by Martin Ottmann, Jul 12, 2014.

1. Here is a short article from Highwinds magazine #21 (1998). These are fantastic news, as the Freewinds is getting prepared for the future delivery of OT IX & X!

Freewinds-Repair-1.jpg Freewinds-Repair-2.jpg
    • Like Like x 6
  2. sallysock Member

OT IX, X and beyond? Superpowerz, I don't see it. Is the "beyond" supposed to cover that?
    Nice find.
    1989, huh.
  3. anonysamvines Member

Hmmmm
    They forgot the bit about ol LConBlubbard starting the sea org so he could run from the LE

Typical!

But. Oooooohhhhhhhhhh. Ooooooooohhh ooooooohhhh
    OTIX, X, And beyond

Oooooh bring it slappy et al

More popcorn
    More lulz
    (You have been slacking you know)

Bet we get a leak of the new levels before the second voyage of the new levels
    If they ever set sail

Ty OP
  4. Quentinanon Member

OT IX will be the greasiness table and OT X will be the cramp station.
  5. OT 10. Did LRH authorize that? Indies will wanna know.
  6. JohnnyRUClear Member

To OT infinity -- and beyond!
    • Like Like x 1
  7. That's where I got my incredible cancer powers!

<*cough*>
  8. John P. Member

Somewhere around a year ago, I did a long discussion about the recent refits of the Freewinds either here or on ESMB -- don't recall which. The following uses information about maritime safety standards I looked up for that post, which is from memory so some of the details could be off. I stand by the conclusion, however.

If the ship actually met the SOLAS (International Convention on Safety of Life at Sea) standards in 1998, it certainly does not do so today. The death ship is far from a model of safety by the current standards. The most recent revision of the SOLAS laws, SOLAS 2010, are significantly tougher than prior versions, particularly for passenger ships. Over the last ten years, many older cruise ships have been sent off to be scrapped because they were at the end of their 20 year lives and could not be refitted economically. Note, by the way, that the floating turd is now almost 50 years old, well beyond an economically viable life span.

One of the easiest ways to tell whether a ship is SOLAS 2010 compliant is the presence of enclosed lifeboats. The Freewinds has none. They're all open.

When you don't comply with SOLAS 2010, you're restricted to near-shore voyages, which I believe are defined as 600 miles (1,000km) from shore. (They're lying when they say you can't pull away from the dock; you just can't go anywhere interesting.) That may explain why the Freewinds only goes Aruba-Bonaire-Curacao with frequent diversions to Cartagena Colombia -- they rarely get more than 50 miles from land. There are a ton of other new requirements for the newest version of the standard but I forget the rest.

There is absolutely no way in hell that the Freewinds can meet the new version of the standard.

Since I was only researching SOLAS 2010 compliance, I don't know whether the ship is compliant with the earlier version (1988?) of the standard. It could very well be a complete and deliberate falsehood. It would be fun to find out who did the inspections of the ship after drydock and to find out whether she denies saying that the ship had the most professional crew she's ever seen or anything remotely like that. The inspection documents ought to be publicly available if one knows where to look (I, unfortunately, don't) and could be tracked down even 16 years later.
    • Like Like x 4
  9. Quentinanon Member

Scientologists don't do well with disposing of worn out scientology-related objects. I remember seeing dilapidated furniture in several orgs, like springs breaking through cushions where anyone sitting on them would get stabbed in the butt and holes in the seat of their pants/skirt. I went so far as to throw out one such office chair and the estates prick in charge retrieved it from the trash, put it back into the office, and went into a tirade about it at a staff meeting, "ethics is looking for the person who threw out org property." Meanwhile, the org had no toilet paper.

The only lifeboat on the Apollo that was covered was the one for the Hubbard family. The rest for the crew were open and rusty.

Assuming Colombia has adopted SOLAS, does Cartagena make exceptions for the Fleewinds? Evidently, Aruba and the Netherlands Antilles have very lax ship safety laws, or if they do, they don't enforce them. It looks like someday, the Fleewinds will not be able to legally dock anywhere. Perhaps the ship should be renamed, "The Flying Dutchman".

• Like Like x 2