Customize

The Green Brief #13 (June 29)

Discussion in 'Green Brief' started by NiteOwl, Jun 29, 2009.

1. NiteOwl Member

I'm NiteOwl AKA Josh Shahryar - twitter.com/iran_translator on twitter - and I've been immersed in tweets from Iran for the past several hours. I have tried to be extremely careful in choosing my tweet sources. What I have compiled below is what I can confirm through my reliable twitter sources. Remember, this is all from tweets. No news media outlets have been used. (All my work is released under Creative Commons (CC). You can freely use it and re-post it wherever you'd like to. Just provide a link to the original source at the bottom.)

In Italian: http://giagro.wordpress.com/29062009-report-di-fine-giornata/

In German: http://kyrah.net/gr88/gb13.html

In Portuguese: http://tinyurl.com/mk8lta

In Hebrew (Summary) http://tinyurl.com/mqooe8

These are the important happenings that I can positively confirm from Monday, June 29 in Iran.

1. There was a human chain planned for today. The plan had been to form it between Tajrish Square and the Railway; however, the route was guarded heavily by Basijis, plainclothesmen and security forces. Nonetheless, people at gathered Mellat Park, Valiasr Field, Vanak and Valiasr Avenue and were trying to form a human chain. The police tried to disperse the crowd and stop the human chain from being formed. There were reports of clashes as well which cannot be fully confirmed. Reports of police smashing people’s windows for honking their horns and slashing their tires with knives.

2. Cell phone services were cut off around Valiasr as well as other parts of Tehran. The Basiji had Daneshjo Park under their control and helicopters were flying all over the place, especially over Valiasr. Today was one of the few times when the government cut off phone lines in order to disrupt communications between protesters and hinder their coordination of the event. During the event, several people were arrested as well. Most of Tehran was crawling with Basijis carrying sticks, some on motorcycles sporting camouflage vests. Protesters and some other people were wearing green wristbands in support of Moussavi.

3. Larijani, the speaker of the parliament today said that CNN had given money and cell phones to protesters to portray a wrong image of Iran. He added that the unrest was not an important event and it will be easily overcome and that it was just another experience for the Islamic Republic.

4. Two former Ministers of Interior have asked the Ministry of Interior to form an independent commission to investigate the problems related to the election. They have asked for the release of all the detained protesters as well and for the Iranian media to let protesters’ demands be heard. They have also requested an investigation into the deaths of protesters and other crimes committed during the protests and ask that people should be compensated for their losses.

5. Bijan Khajehpour a renowned Iranian political economist was detained at the airport in Tehran on Saturday upon arrival from the UK. Sources were unsure about his whereabouts but assumed he was in Evin prison. Dr. Mehdi Khazali, the son of Grand Ayatollah Khazali, who unlike his father is a critic of the government and Ahmadinejad, was also arrested. The Iranian media also announced the arrest of some people who were posing as Basijis. Yesterday’s arrest of Homa Roosta has now been confirmed to not be true.

6. Human rights groups claim that so far over 2,000 people are still in detention. Reports have surfaced that there is no more space left for women in Tehran’s official prisons. Human rights’ activists report on unsanitary and inappropriate conditions for imprisoned women protesters in Iran's overcrowded jails. At least 60 of imprisoned women are in the public wards and have only been given a blanket and are forced to sleep in corridors.

7. Today, Amnesty International expressed concern about the political leaders who have been arrested and claimed that they faced torture in detention. This is while a member of the National Security Council announced today that they were not going to release any of the political prisoners any time soon.

8. Members of the National Security Council met with Khatami today. A special commission has been ordered to be formed by the Judiciary to take up the cases of the people arrested in the recent unrests. Ahmadinejad has reportedly asked the Judiciary to investigate the murder of Neda Agha-Sultan. In a letter, Ahmadinejad asked the head of the Judiciary for answers in the death and called the killing ‘suspicious’.

9. State TV says Iran’s top legislative body has confirmed Ahmadinejad victory in the disputed June 12th Presidential election after a partial recount. The Guardian Council’s leader, Jannati said that the GC deemed the complaints and irregularities irrelevant and thereby can confirm the results. Clashes were reported in Tehran after people took to the streets protesting the Guardian Council's ruling. (This cannot be fully confirmed). People also started shouting ‘Death to Dictator’ on their roofs, after GC confirmed the victory of Ahmadinejad.

10. Since official results of Ahmadinejad’s win, only 11 countries congratulated Ahmadinejad on his 'victory'. These countries are Tajikistan, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Turkey, the People’s Republic of China, Oman, Russia, Qatar and Venezuela.

11. The office of the Islamic Association of Sistan and Baluchestan University was set on fire by anonymous people today. The office is a hotbed of reform student activity.

12. Mohseni, Iranian Minister of Information, said today that he had met with Mousavi and had told him that the path he had taken had no end. He added that he told Mousavi that his insistence on annulling the election would achieve nothing but create more problems for him and his followers.

13. Five out of nine British Embassy staffers arrested earlier in the wee were released today. The rest are currently being held at an undisclosed location and include senior staff members. The government issued a statement saying that the detained staffers had connections with the unrest in Iran. . The EU threatened a mass pullout of its ambassadors from Iran if the staffers were not released.

14. The spokesperson for the Foreign Affairs Ministry of Iran has stated that they don't want to close any embassies. He added that the arrest of the local staff of some embassies was not breaking international conventions. He added the remaining four staffers will be dealt with according to the law.

15. Keyhan, a newspaper close to Khamenei, slammed Mousavi today and called him a criminal. Also in a TV confession, another of Mousavi’s staffers was forced to say that the Iranian election protests were preplanned. Press TV announced today that reports of Iranian soccer players being punished for wearing green bands during their game with South Korea are false, after FIFA inquired about their reported lifetime ban which was placed by the Iranian Football Federation.

*Today, the source that had claimed of reports of persiankiwi’s arrest has tweeted that she talked to persiankiwi and pk is still free. Pk told the source that they simply don’t have access to resources for tweeting at this point. **Also a HEARTY thanks to Amandapanda for spending her precious time and energy on debriefing me to help compartmentalize the work.

Read this if you want to help or get help!

Helpers:

A. We currently are trying to get the Brief out in as many languages as possible. If you can translate the brief for us in a language other than English, Italian and Hebrew, please let us know. It comes out every day so it'll be an every day thing - who knows for how long - so it's for the long haul. But if you can even do a summary, it will be great!

B. You could retweet this link and let more people know about what’s going in Iran. The mainstream media has completely and utterly failed to get the message across so please, be the voice for Iranians.

C. The government in Iran is still increasing internet filtering and throttling in an attempt to silence their people. Anonymous info shows that many in Iran are looking for proxy and Tor information in Tehran and all around the country. Please donate your bandwidth to help bring down the Iran Curtain. Here are links on how to help and get help on this:

English:

http://torir.org

http://torir.brokep.com

http://img1.anonbw.com

Tor and the Iranian Election - Bring down the Iran Curtain | Ian's Brain

Farsi:

http://torir.org/index.html.fa

Tor: ?????? Tor

Help us set up more bridges on Tor here: Torrents list � Rivolta in Iran

Helpers with expertise in the field of medicine, translation and such:

“Medici Cu Internet is a collaboration between piratbyran.org, HackersWithoutBorders and werebuild.eu trying to organize contacts with medical expertise online since there are problems in Iran with hospitals being monitored by the government. Join the IRC-channel at #mci-ir - WebIRC - AnonNet or send an email to us at embassy [at] piratbyran.org for more info. Medical experts, Farsi-translators and people who know the medical situation in iran are welcome to join and collaboratively set up an index with common injuries and their best treatments.”

People Outside Iran: This is as clear and concise as I can be. I have not included ANYTHING that I have sensed to be remotely fishy, but humans always err.

People Inside Iran: Don't believe a WORD of what I am telling you. Do what you think is best, keeping everything in mind. I know LITTLE of what you know so make your decisions based on your OWN judgment.
  2. Thanks again for your contribution and continued effort!
  3. tim new Member

Of course the election irregularities were irrelevant to the people who created them in the first place.

Even if the protests were pre-planned; doesn't the Iranian Constitution supposedly guarantee the right to protest as long as Islam is not defamed?

If Ahmadinejad is smart he will have a Basiji member identified as killing Neda (A scapegoat), and claim they acted against instructions. Naturally this person will not live to deny it.
  4. Angelraven Member

Thank you, once again excellent work!

What a sad day. It sounds like everyone "politicians and religious order" are running for cover. Only the people, have the "heart of a lion"! :( I am not sure what to say at this moment. My prayers are with you!
  5. Thank you

Thank you for all the updates and information. They help fight the rumors.

I've spent 12 hours today gathering news links and political cartoon links then posting the links at Iran News (some of the cartoons are in Persian/Farsi).

Whozits
  6. Thank you!

Excellent reporting. THANK YOU!
  7. Yes good job, it appears that even though the GC ruled as expected, it's not over by a long shot.
  8. Grand!

Thanks so much for your efforts!
  9. Again my thanks to you

Thank you and Amandapanda for your hard work in reporting the events from today.
  10. Hi,

I have visited this site and I think it is a great resource for Iran's situation right now!
    Would you please put it on your site too (after reading of course).

Thanks,

An Iranian.
  11. Great work as always

Thanks thanks thanks for everything you do.
  12. skollie-IRAN Member

Thanks again, Night Owl - you do amazing work!

Interesting...
  13. angie0972 Member

(smiles)

Many thanks to both you and Amandapanda. we wil protest, we will tweet, we will demand news orgs. to report the barbaric nature of this regime, every day, until we don't have to. We wil not let the IR. Gov run over it's people we will help the Iranian people run out their govenment. Again many thanks. (smiles)
  14. Vee Member

Thanks again for another great update.
  15. Phishing site?

I just tried to link to this posting from a tweet on AustinHeap's twitter page. OpenDNS reported that the link on Austin's page Austin Heap Blog Archive Green Brief #13 is considering a Phishing site and blocked the link.

FYI.
  16. Thank-you again. Without you we wouldn't know what is going on. No coverage of Iran in the news anymore. Kept up the great work. Keep fighting on Iran, you will succeed in the end!!!!
  17. Of immense value!

These reports are of immense value to those of us who can no longer follow the individual reports 24/7.

Please keep up the hard work! So many of us are relying on you for solid information.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!
  18. Great , Great work !! Continue with it and thanks for keepin this window open for the rest of us in the world to know what is realy happening over there. I honestly think you iranaians are going to succeed in the long ru. It takes courage, but you have allready shown you have a lot of it. But be careful and don't get hurt.
  19. tcmora1953 Member

Thanks for Your Hard Work

I look forward each day to your posting. I know you put a lot of time and energy in your task. I'm not Tweet savvy, but at least I can read and follow through your efforts.
  20. Thanks Nitw Owl

As an Iranian born Armenian, I apologize, and am extremely furious, shocked and appalled that the government of Armenia has recognized and congratulated the Ahmaghinejad's election. They should be ashamed of themselves as a Christian nation to recognize these bloodthirsty a**holes. This act is not justified, even though they're surrounded with Muslim countries that hate them, and they see Iran as the only friendly nation they have borders with.
  21. Great Work

What a great job you have been doing. My hat's off to you and your friends for a fabulous job at such an incredibly hard time.
  22. Nichol Member

Tor on Mac, Linux?

Great job, you did it again, even though things are getting more and more complicated!

About Tor.. I do think that Iranians might also use machines on unix (Mac, Linux). Would be nice to point those people to the right places.
  23. Thank you

Excellent reporting as usual. Thank you for your hard work!
  24. BigPat Member

Gb #13

NiteOwl;

You're a HERO! You found out what I'd been wondering about for several days!!! Thank you!!!

*Today, the source that had claimed of reports of persiankiwi’s arrest has tweeted that she talked to persiankiwi and pk is still free. Pk told the source that they simply don’t have access to resources for tweeting at this point. **Also a HEARTY thanks to Amandapanda for spending her precious time and energy on debriefing me to help compartmentalize the work.

Very pleased to hear PK wasn't arrested or anything like that!

My best wishes to you all!!!

Be careful, be safe, and stay as low as needed!

THANKS AGAIN! And please share my THANKS to 'Amandapanda' too, next time you speak to her when times are slow and you can BS about insignificant stuff. :)

Best regards,

-Pat
  25. Thanks for all your hard work in compiling these reports!
  26. BigPat Member

On Linux, Windows and MAC you can also add a TOR extension to FireFox, it'll make your browser next to invisible, but not other apps such as email and file-sharing.

I got interested in it, because it looks like here, as they already did in Sweden, ISPs are providing account info for people sharing torrent files.

The Firefox TOR extension I installed doesn't protext my Azureus, or email, just my browser, and aai really don't use it that often.

But it should keep your browsing safe, and seems like that's at least part of what you need.

Here's a link to the one I installed:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/5833

3 of my 4 computers are all Linux, I only do Windows under protrest, but it provided a reasonably good income for 13+ years...

Best regards,

-Pat
  27. Thank You

Thank you for your continued hard work.

28. sources say gerdab.ir installed a dedicated server Xeon Core against DDoS attacks.. any clue on taking it down?

This was interesting!
  29. Thank you and your helper for the great job you're doing.Stay safe and rely on GOD.
    SG
  30. Thank you

Your work is amazing and my greatest wish is that the people of Iran stay strong whatever the outcome but they deserve better. Zendeh bod Iran va azadi
  31. Trisphat Member

Thank you Nightowl for your real journalistic work (something that is cruelly laking these days). Keep up with this exellent job.
  32. EmilyPort Member

I am a nurse and want to help

I have a free translation program and have been tweeting in Farsi some due the the program. I can translate in almost any language you need or want.

I want to do more. I have been tweeting since this all began and before and want to do more. Let me know if I can help in any way.

here is the link to the translation program
    Farsi to English Translation

Hope this helps and I hope I can help some too.
  33. Ariana Member

I can translate into German, but my German is pretty rusty. If someone else has offered who is more fluent than me, great. If not, I'd be happy to do some translation. It would hopefully be at least readable.
  34. sp4rrowh4wk Member

thank you NiteOwl & Amandapanda. your work is important, we appreciate it.
  35. I'm narrative german speaker. Could translate it or help you.
  36. GreenLady Member

That was me... And of course I meant "native". :D
    *Edit* Furthermore I could try to translate it into Spanish.