Customize

The Green Brief #22 (July 08)

Discussion in 'Green Brief' started by NiteOwl, Jul 8, 2009.

1. NiteOwl Member

I'm NiteOwl AKA Josh Shahryar - twitter.com/iran_translator on twitter - and I've been immersed in tweets from Iran for the past several hours. I have tried to be extremely careful in choosing my tweet sources. What I have compiled below is what I can confirm through my reliable twitter sources. Remember, this is all from tweets. (My work is released under Creative Commons (CC). So use it freely and post it wherever you wish to.)

These are the important happenings that I can positively confirm from Wednesday, July 8 in Iran.

In Danish: http://tinyurl.com/ndenbd

In French: http://ledossiervert.wordpress.com

In German: http://tinyurl.com/m8uxw2

In Greek: http://tinyurl.com/n9orew

In Hebrew: http://tinyurl.com/l5fhu9

In Polish: http://glosiranu.blog.pl/archiwum/index.php?nid=14389635

In Spanish: http://tinyurl.com/ml9lss

In Swedish: http://greenbrief.blogspot.com/

In Turkish: http://tinyurl.com/mhxvrw

Protests / Unrest

1. Tomorrow, July 9th (18th of Tir in Iran), marks a very important day. It memorializes the 10th year anniversary of a student uprising for freedom. Many students were killed and thousands were beaten, arrested and tortured.

Thousands are expected to take to the streets tomorrow in a peaceful march. It will be in memory of those slain, the revived fight for freedom, and to once again show their discontent with the election results. Cities confirmed to protest include: Ahvaz, Arak, Adrabil, Bandar Abbas, Birjand, Bojnurd, Bushehr, Esfehan, Ghazvin, Ghom, Gorgan, Hamedan, Ilam, Kerman, Kermanshah, Khorramabad, Mashhad, Rasht, Sanandaj, Sari, Semnan, Shahrekord, Shiraz, Tabriz, Urmieh, Yasuj, Yazd, Zahedan and Zanjan.

2. Protesters have been advised to walk calmly through cities, as well as to carry Korans and roses in their hands – to show their peaceful intent. Sardar Ismail Ahmadi-Moghadam, a high-ranking commander in the Iranian security forces, claimed that no one had requested permission for permits to hold rallies or to stage protests. Reports also suggest that Rafsanjani’s family is planning on attending the rallies.

3. Mir Hossein Mousavi released a new statement calling on Iranians “To honor and commemorate those slain in the post-election violence by going to mosques and other religious establishments to mourn and pray for them.” He has specifically asked them to do so in the late afternoon. Mousavi went on to endorse rallies and protests that are to be held for this purpose. Furthermore, he declared that he will be joining the mourners.

4. News circulated today of security forces attacking internet cafes in Kermanshah. It was reported that they checked people’s cell phones and interrogated them as to what they were doing there. Reports say Basijis started marking people’s doors with red ink at night – those of who chanted on their rooftops. It was suggested that Basijis would then go back in the morning and intimidate those residents. Recent reports say that people voluntarily marked their doors with red ink in order to confuse and overwhelm the Basijis.

Opposition

5. IIPF (Islamic Iranian Participation Front) – a reformist political party with close ties to Mohammad Khatami – released a new statement on Iranian websites asking for the immediate release of all political detainees and non-political detainees. The statement slams the government’s brutality and violence and called the election, “a coup against democracy in Iran.” They asked the government to reduce the presence of security forces in Tehran because it was, “starting to look like an army brigade.”

6. It has been reported that Hashemi Rafsanjani has yet again decided to NOT lead Friday Prayers. It is speculated that the rationale behind his decision has to do with wanting to remain neutral until the issues regarding the election are resolved. Two days ago, his political party declared the election invalid. Rafsanjani himself has not made it clear whether he supports that statement or not.

Government / International / Clergy

7. Mahmoud Ahmadinejad is continuously canceling trips abroad and inside Iran. So far, he has cancelled his trips to Libya and Egypt (to attend the meeting of Non-Aligned Nations). He cancelled his trip to Mashhad and now there’s news that he has cancelled his trip to Shiraz as well. Heads of States from around the world have also cancelled trips to Iran – among them, The Sultan of Oman and the President of Ukraine. Recent reports from inside his faction divulge that he will not be traveling abroad until the situation in Iran is “completely calm.”

8. International media is reporting that Mojtaba Khamenei – the son of Ayatollah Khamenei – has taken direct control of Iran’s militia group (Basij) in order to suppress the Sea of Green. They also report that officials within other security forces, along with the powerful clergy, are not happy with the situation. However, solid confirmations from our Iranian sources have yet to be confirmed.

9. The spokesperson for the Guardian Council today announced, “That even though the Guardian Council could be approached through legal channels, any complaints against the election were meaningless.” According to him, the Guardian Council’s decision was final.

Arrested / Released / Killed

10. Mohammad Ali Dadkha, a prominent lawyer and human rights activist, was arrested at his office today. Amir Raeesian and Malihe Dadkhah – who were in his office at the time – were also taken into custody. Mohammad Reza Yazdan-Panah of the Islamic Iranian Participation Front was also arrested. Partially confirmed reports suggest that Zhila Bani-Yaghoub and Ahmad Amavi have been put under house-arrest.

11. The Iranian Government released 22 of the 25 staff members from Kalameh Newspaper who had been arrested two weeks ago. Twenty members of the Mourning Mothers Group, arrested last week, were let go. Nine civilians were discharged. High-profile releases include: Gholamreza Zarifiyan (a Cabinet Minister during Khatami’s administration), Zainab Paighambarzadeh, and Poyesh Asaanlo.

12. Ismail Ahmadi-Mogham, Commander of the Iranian Police, announced that 100 detainees will be released in the next few days. He claimed the government had already released two-thirds of the 2,500 protesters arrested. Roughly 500 of those still detained, will be prosecuted in a court soon.

Media Communications

13. IRG’s (Islamic Revolutionary Guard) Javan Daily Newspaper continues to publish confessions of reformists and other detainees who had been arrested in the post-election unrest. Independent sources have confirmed that prisoners have been tortured to confess that they were, “directed by foreign nations into instigating violence in Iran.”

14. Internet connection speed has slowed even further in Iran. Connecting phone calls to Iran has also become notoriously difficult. Chants of Allah o Akbar continue to echo across the night in most parts of Iran -every night.

*A hearty thanks to Sahar joon for helping me out with proof-reading and very valuable tips. Also, a BIG THANKS to all the translators who're spending their precious time on getting this to as many people as possible.

Read this if you want to help or get help!

Helpers:

A. Anonymous has been faithfully running this forum for the past three weeks besides their regular website. The amount of traffic and the extra content has added to their costs of running their servers. If you want to help monetarily, you can check out their donation page at: General Expense - Why We Protest

B. You can retweet this link and help others know what is going on in Iran.

C: If you would like to help out with compiling all the news stories from Iran in a geo-spatial context, please request for sub-editorship at #iran.aic - WebIRC - AnonNet - Check out the website for the project at: Iran Map | Iran Map or email me at dbosca@gmail.com.

D. The government in Iran is still increasing internet filtering and throttling in an attempt to silence their people. Anonymous info shows that many in Iran are looking for proxy and Tor information in Tehran and all around the country. Please donate your bandwidth to help bring down the Iran Curtain. Here are links on how to help and get help on this:

English:

Tor Browser Bundle

Tor Browser Bundle

Tor Browser Bundle

Tor and the Iranian Election - Bring down the Iran Curtain | Ian's Brain

Farsi:

Tor Browser Bundle

Tor: آنلاين Tor

Help us set up more bridges on Tor here:

Gonzo Times � Torrents List (82 videos)
  2. Visionary Member

I thought this was nice to know.

Thanks for the updates!
  3. EdWanD Member

Been waiting for the brief. Again many tks to you all. Keep the fighting the good peaceful fight.
  4. Thank you once again. Keep up the great work everyone! Iran needs your voice.
  5. Thank you NiteOwl.
  6. Thank you so much for updating us!! what you and others doing means a lot to all Iranian people.
  7. Thank you again, Nite Owl.
    People, don't pay attention trolls say on this site. They want us to lose our goals.
  8. "International media is reporting that Mojtaba Khamenei – the son of Ayatollah Khamenei – has taken direct control of Iran’s militia group (Basij) in order to suppress the Sea of Green."

How fitting to a traditional epic fantasy story.

The villain gets his son to be his top lieutenant.
  9. i shall call him... Khamini-me!
  10. Many Thanks

Great job as always NiteOwl! Thanks so much for all of your hard work!
  11. ghaarneshin Member

Thank you

Truly invaluable, excellent work! My entire network of friends will be hearing about your Green Briefs very soon :)
  12. Heh heh... green briefs.
  13. jw_und_alvington_tulip_green.jpg.gif
  14. Stacy Member

Thanks NiteOwl! I really appreciate the work you put into this. I get most of my news of Iran from these.
  15. NiteOwl Member

;)) buahahah!
  16. JohnDoe Moderator

I am so thankful that we have people who are prepared to give their time & talents to keep the world informed of the current situation in Iran. Great to know that the 18th Tir is to be commemorated all over Iran.

Wonder if Amamadman will ever travel abroad again to represent Iran? Hope not!

Certainly not surprised that he's had to cancel trips to Shiraz! Interesting that he's having to cancel trips within his own country!!!!!!! Does that mean there are no go areas for him in Iran?:p That sounds very like a leader on a very sticky wicket. (Can you imagine Robert Mugabe not being able to travel where ever he wants in Zimbabwe?!) I hope the people of Iran are encouraged by that - you are winning, he will soon be a prisoner in his own home, for they will not be able to guarantee his safety anywhere!
  17. Stacy Member

HA! too funny, LMAO!
  18. no way he will travel outside of iran, any civilized country he lands in protests and controversy will surround him... we will never see him shine again like he did in front of Larry King insulting Jews and Israel, ppl will just laugh at him, even more.
  19. akuma_river Member

Truly wonderful work NiteOwl.

I'm posting a link to this from ONTD: Politics where I've been keeping an update daily of all the news items I can find. It's not much but it's helping to keep others informed since MSM has been waylaying the coverage.

*sighs*

Sometimes I am truly upset at how much the media can be can distracted teh shiny.
  20. Paleene Member

"Amamadman" - that's definitely a good one!!! :)))
  21. akuma_river Member

I've just been calling him Ahmedi...it's what I noticed that the Iranians were doing.
  22. So basically now the Basij are the face of the supposed heir to the throne, Khamenei's son...I'm very sorry to hear that.
  23. I am looking forward to the day when the Green Brief reads: Today, iranian government was toppled, Amamadman (Great invention btw) and Khamenei were arrested and scheduled for trial next week...

My F5 key is wearing out and it's all Anonymous' fault...
  24. Does Ama mean blind in Farsi? It means so in turkish and I think maybe it's Farsi in origin. But it could be arabic as well. If it's Farsi, it just adds another layer of brilliance...
  25. leo-IRAN Member

26. JohnDoe Moderator

can't wait! :)
  27. JohnDoe Moderator

Anonymous has been faithfully running this forum for the past three weeks besides their regular website. The amount of traffic and the extra content has added to their costs of running their servers. If you want to help monetarily, you can check out their donation page at: General Expense - Why We Protest

For days I have been meaning to go to this link and make a donation, but only just got round to it, I was shocked at how low the donations actually were. Maybe everyone else is like me, and kept meaning to get round to it. If you are thinking about making a donation - then please don't put it off.
  28. People should mark the doors of the Basijis with red ink to confuse them
  29. MerlinTKD Member

Quoted and linked on Facebook. Thanks again, NiteOwl!

Khamini-me... that's genius! :lol:
  30. Thank You

Thank you again for these briefs.
  31. Too bad most Basijis live in neighborhoods where its mostly Ahmedinejad supporters
  32. Donated...Thank you so much everyone.

Anonymous has been faithfully running this forum for the past three weeks besides their regular website. The amount of traffic and the extra content has added to their costs of running their servers. If you want to help monetarily, you can check out their donation page at: General Expense - Why We Protest

For days I have been meaning to go to this link and make a donation, but only just got round to it, I was shocked at how low the donations actually were. Maybe everyone else is like me, and kept meaning to get round to it. If you are thinking about making a donation - then please don't put it off.
  33. HeartForIran Member

Thank you again NiteOwl & Co, and thank you Roe Lassie, I am just like you and I'm gonna donate to Anonymous right NOW!!!! :eek:
  34. Is Khatami taking a larger leadership role?

Seems to me khatami is being more vocal now... what are his political leanings? Can the people fall in behind him? I know i've read repeatedly on this site and others, people are desperately looking for leadership.

I just hope they find a GOOD man to lead them.
  35. JohnDoe Moderator

Khatami

I think - but I'm only looking on from the outside - from what I've studied about Khatami, that he is a good man, he may well be the right person to be Kavah! (the one who rescues Persia from the evil tyrant!) ;)
  36. Visionary Member

Khatami is probably the most famous reformist in Iran. He was elected as a reformist president twice already in from 1997-2005 He was immensely popular and probably still is, although he was unable to get much actual reform done while in office, because he was slapped down and stifled by the guardian council and Khamenei. He backed Mousavi during the recent election and helped turn out huge rallies for him.
    (not sure if you knew all this or not, lol)
  37. Excellence again

I am so thankful for NiteOwl's work!! I am really looking foreward to GB#23!!!
  38. akuma_river Member

Low? I just checked and it seems like it's paid off?
  39. JohnDoe Moderator

That's great news! We can't do much but we can put our hands in our pockets, and we can send messages of support. I hope the people of Iran know that we are willing them on to victory:)

I know today's brief will be bitter sweet - how bitter to read of what cost people are having to pay, and sweet as we read of how much they have achieved.

Khudda Haffiz Kamini-me & Amamadman!!!!!!!!!

Zindabad Persia - we smell your freedom.