Customize

The Green Brief #29 (July 15)

Discussion in 'Green Brief' started by NiteOwl, Jul 16, 2009.

1. NiteOwl Member

I'm NiteOwl AKA Josh Shahryar - twitter.com/iran_translator on twitter - and I've been immersed in tweets from Iran for the past several hours. I have tried to be extremely careful in choosing my tweet sources. What I have compiled below is what I can confirm through my reliable twitter sources. Remember, this is all from tweets. (My work is released under Creative Commons (CC). So use it freely and post it wherever you wish to.)

These are the important happenings that I can positively confirm from Wednesday, July 15 . (A list of all the Green Briefs: The Green Briefs)

In Danish: Live Temp News: The Green Brief #29 (d. 15. juli) - Dansk version

In French: Le dossier vert – The green brief in French

In German: Nachrichten zur Situation im Iran

In Hebrew: Content Factory

In Italian: The Green Brief #29 (July 15) in Italian - Why We Protest - IRAN

In Polish: http://glosiranu.blog.pl/archiwum/index.php?nid=14400945

In Spanish: http://tinyurl.com/nffdu9

In Swedish: Green Brief på Svenska

Protests / Unrest

1. The main lawyers’ association of Iran announced on Tuesday that a new rule for lawyers devised and about to be implemented by the Judiciary was infringing upon their freedoms and was against the constitution. Today, 52 prominent Iranian lawyers released a statement calling upon the government to respect people’s rights. They asked the government to charge people within 24 hours of their arrest or set them free.

2. Families of more than 30 political prisoners rallied in front of the Islamic Courts in Tehran, asking for the immediate release of their loved ones. The Mourning Mothers group has asked on the people of Iran to join them in their upcoming rally which is to be held next week. On Thursday, prayer sessions will be held across Iran for the safe return of detained protesters across Iran.

3. Isfahan’s governor announced today that anyone who supports Mousavi is an enemy of Islam. It has been reported that electricity and water supply have been cut off in many main bazaars in Iran’s Kurdish areas because they held wide-spread strikes. This can only be partially confirmed. There were also reports of a bomb explosion in Sanandaj in Kordestan province. Reportedly the bomb exploded inside a government building. This remains unconfirmed at this point.

4. There are rumors that protests are being planned for Friday – none could be confirmed. After reports surfaced that pro-Mousavi people should wear a green band or green clothes to signify their support for him during Friday prayers, twitter sources quickly claimed that it was a government ploy to identify protesters. Many bloggers have explicitly asked people to not wear any green for the Friday prayers in Tehran. A new form of protest by the people of Tehran is to write “Death to the Dictator” on banknotes. The practice is gaining ground and the plan is to have it written down on all banknotes circulating within the country.

Opposition

5. Mahdi Karoubi today visited Sohrab A’rabi’s family. He also announced today that he will continue to fight for the rights of detainees and people whose property has been damaged by the government. He stressed that the government needed to let people know about the whereabouts of their loved ones. The families of several political prisoners also met with A’rabi’s family.

6. Mir Hossein Mousavi announced today that he will be joining the Friday prayers in Tehran this week. There were rumors yesterday that he might not attend and that the statement was a ploy by the government to lure protesters in. His announcement entails that he is joining after repeated requests by his supporters.

7. A source close to Hashemi Rafsanjani claims that Rafsanjani will defend people rights in his Friday prayer sermon and show his discontent with the post-election violence. The source, Ghoratullah Alikhani, a member of the Imam’s Way faction of the parliament, claimed that it was a tipping point in the post-election unrests and Rafsanjani was going to make important pro-protester announcement. Rafsanjani announced yesterday that his relationship with Khamenei was that of two lovers and it would never be broken. It is worth mentioning, however, that Alikhani is a staunch pro-reform MP and videos of him defending Mousavi and lampooning the election in a speech inside the parliament emerged right after the election.

Government / International

8. Government-owned media and several prominent pro-Khamenei and pro-Ahmadinejad politicians are pushing the government to prosecute Mousavi, calling him the instigator for of the current unrest in Iran.

9. After the airline accident in Iran that killed 168 people – all aboard -, Iranian President-Select Mahmoud Ahmadinejad announced today that Iran’s airlines were the safest and most secure airlines in the world. The Russian-made plane was traveling from Tehran to Yerevan, Armenia when it crashed near Ghazvin, northwest of Tehran.

10. Reports have confirmed that Ahmadinejad’s new cabinet to be introduced in August will be composed mostly of staunch conservatives. Reports of him forming a compromise government with reformists aboard have been vehemently denied. Today, Vietnamese President Nguyễn Minh Triết called Ahmadinejad and congratulated him on his historic selection as Iran’s president. Nguyễn joins a small number of heads of state that have called and congratulated Ahmadinejad.

Arrests / Releases / Deaths

11. The International Human Rights campaign in Iran announced today that the number of people killed in recent unrests in Iran were far higher than what the government was reported. According to a report published by the organization, last month more than 34 bodies were brought to a morgue in Tehran in a single day while the government claims that no more than 20 people have died in all. According to the report, the bodies were brought to three hospitals in Tehran on June 30. 19 were brought to Imam Khomeini Hospital, 8 to Rasoole Akram Hospital and 7 to Loqmane Hakeem Hospital.

12. It has now been confirmed that several students that have been missing from Birjand University in Southern Khorasan province are currently being held in detention. Among these students are Amin Ostadi and Milad Garajian. It has also been reported that the people in charge of interrogating prisoners at Evin Prison are Saeed Mortazavi, Hasan Zareh Denvai-Heydarifar and Hosseini Rasikh.

13. The Ministry of Information announced today that prisoners held at various prisons in Iran were being interrogated and the police were investigating their crimes. He also claimed that several detainees had confessed to their roles in the unrests in the country and that they also had other evidence to implicate them in violent acts.

Miscellaneous

14. Farhad Fakhreddini, the director of the national Orchestra of Iran quit today over what he called the government’s mistreatment of peaceful protesters.

(I promise to get better and report on time starting tomorrow.)

*A hearty thanks to Sahar joon for helping me out with proof-reading and very valuable tips. Also, a BIG THANKS to all the translators who're spending their precious time on getting this to as many people as possible.

Read this if you want to help or get help!

Helpers:

A. You can retweet this link and help others know what is going on in Iran.

B: If you would like to help out with compiling all the news stories from Iran in a geo-spatial context, please request for sub-editorship at #iran.aic - WebIRC - AnonNet - Check out the website for the project at: Iran Map | Iran Map or email me at dbosca@gmail.com.

C. The government in Iran is still increasing internet filtering and throttling in an attempt to silence their people. Anonymous info shows that many in Iran are looking for proxy and Tor information in Tehran and all around the country. Please donate your bandwidth to help bring down the Iran Curtain. Here are links on how to help and get help on this:

English:

Tor Browser Bundle

Tor Browser Bundle

Tor Browser Bundle

Tor and the Iranian Election - Bring down the Iran Curtain | Ian's Brain

Farsi:

Tor Browser Bundle

Tor: آنلاين Tor

Get video torrents and help on Tor here:

Gonzo Times � Torrents List (82 videos)
  2. Paleene Member

Uffffff - so glad to have you back here. Started worrying again. Take care and thanks a lot, Nite Owl!
  3. leo-IRAN Member

4. JohnDoe Moderator

You did well to get his out today, I had resigned myself to there not being any, and then you came up with the goods again. Thank you.

Sometimes it makes chilling reading, when you read who is in charge of the interrogations, (psychopaths) or who Amamadman is planning to put into his gvt, but it's also good to read that the people remain resolute in their determination to keep going. They have no choice, they must keep going, or Iran will be worse than it was pre-election.

That's a lot of bank notes to get wrtten on! But I've no doubt they'll do it.

Nervously excited about tomorrow - another very important day in the battle for freedom - here's hoping that Rafsanjani manages to come out with something very clear and strong for the people!
  5. FreedomAgent Member

6. Thank you for reporting!
  7. Thank you nightowl, you make us worry sometimes. Your information is very valuable, and i want you and those who help you to know that we are ALL praying for your safety. Thank you again.
  8. I was worry too. I read you every day and i need your information for a radio program. Thank you very much.
  9. Visionary Member

Interesting, although I wonder how important this is.
    Can anyone give me an idea?
    jackass.
    Good news!
    Um...err...hmm, now I'm not sure what to think. lol
    and by the way...not a pleasant mental picture. :eek:

(Although I can see a lot of interesting photoshops going on in the next few days, if he decides to support Khamenei and Ahmadinejad after all. :D)
    Well he's clearly working hard to enact those changes he promised.
    Especially the ones in his cabinet. :rolleyes:

Thanks so much for the updates! Hope you're feeling better!
  10. thank you

i want to thank you for your endless efforts since the unrest. my friends and i don't go to bed until we have read your articles. although we spent endless days on twitter and other times at protests. we find your articles impartial and credible. we're waiting for the day that you will have the privilege of publishing an article on Iranian's victory against this regime.

nonetheless, god bless you and you team for your efforts.

ps. sorry for panicking about the late posting on twitter. we were actually worried for you and you, rather than feeling restless. i guess paranoia is a side-effect of this nightmarish event.
  11. Does he do that on every issue? Is he trying to destroy the remnants of his credibility, if he has any? Maybe the citizens have gotten so used to this, that they don't even notice?

Is it a show of force? Maybe he wants everybody to see he can lie as much as he wants, but nobody can publicly call him on it (in Iran)?

Surely Ahmadinejad still has two supporters or so somewhere. What do they think about him blatantly lying and pretending problems do not exist? Do they think it is really clever of him or something? Are so crazy they believe him no matter what he says?
  12. JohnDoe Moderator

"10. Reports have confirmed that Ahmadinejad’s new cabinet to be introduced in August will be composed mostly of staunch conservatives. Reports of him forming a compromise government with reformists aboard have been vehemently denied."

Well I for one am praying that he'll never get the chance to form this new gvt! And that Vietnam will have to take back their congratulations!
  13. Ray Murphy Member

7. A source close to Hashemi Rafsanjani claims that Rafsanjani will defend people rights in his Friday prayer sermon and show his discontent with the post-election violence. The source, Ghoratullah Alikhani, a member of the Imam’s Way faction of the parliament, claimed that it was a tipping point in the post-election unrests and Rafsanjani was going to make important pro-protester announcement.

Rafsanjani announced yesterday that his relationship with Khamenei was that of two lovers and it would never be broken.[....]

Rafsanjani knows that citizens have a right under the Constitution to protest peacefully and he will emphatically defend that right. He also knows that it is illegal for anyone to use unnecessary force or violence, so he will emphatically denounce it.

He would also know that there is never any point in having laws or making declarations like those that he will be making, unless they can be enforced, so this means that he already has in place an enforcement mechanism - the army, which will do its duty and protect protestors, politicians and the mad basijis.

Rafsanjani's comment about his (brotherly) love for Khamenei means only one thing. He has already issued his ultimatum to him but wants the world to know it was definitely not personal.

Rafsanjani will be guaranteeing the right of protestors to continue protesting in a peaceful manner - which will eventually result in the power brokers calling another election in order to appease them.

All he will be doing is upholding the law- and not taking sides.

Attached Files:

14. JohnDoe Moderator

He believes his own propaganda - he has to, no one else does!;) He has no credibility - the last remnants of that flew away on June 13th! And I bet not only do Iranians not even notice, they don't even listen!!!!
  15. Nichol Member

About repeating lies

Remember how Bush, Cheney and friends kept repeating the nonsensical idea that Saddam Hussein was behind the 9-sept attacks? People got used to the idea and accepted it, and news media were not persistent enough in denying it. Bush was allowed to to ignore evidence and decide for his own reality.

Ahmedinejad is using the same method of persistent repetition. Only he can control press and communications.

Maybe they should find a way to put banknotes through a printer, so you can print a whole news-story on them, in stead of just a slogan. Also faster method if you want to cover all banknotes..
  16. JohnDoe Moderator

Two differences though:
    1. Bush / Cheney were elected (well if you ignore what happened in Florida)

2. At that stage they still had credibility - they hadn't been that long in power, and 9/11 had just happened, so people were open to a scape goat.

In Iran Amamadman has not been elected - but selected (to use Niteowl's wonderful expression)
    The regime has had no credibility for years. Iranians that I know both within and out of the country don't listen to them.
  17. HeartForIran Member

Thank you NiteOwl!
    I hope you will have good news for us tomorow, friday, the day of fridayprayers...My prayers go to the brave Iranian people who stand up for their freedom, to those who have sacrificed so much and to those who are mourning...
  18. wait wat

oh god, pls tell me you're joking.
  19. He's wanted to set a Guiness World Record for years.
  20. Remember Bagdad Bob?

Yes.

Bullies don't care about things such as logic, evidence, dialogue. Force allows them to be lazy, careless. Their achilles heel.
  21. Visionary Member

Not going to get into the political stuff there. But I think it's a lot easier to convince people of stuff going on elsewhere that they have no idea about, then something going on in front of you.

Anyway, I'm thinking that with crashes happening so often in Iran, no one is believing him.
  22. I must say, Green Briefs have introduced a unique problem to my life... Since I started reading them I cannot stand the traditional media sources (like CNN, NBC, etc.) for one second. And so I have a hard time following anything that may be happening. Other then the Green Wave of course..
  23. rupert-IRAN Member

24. Thank you for continuing to post these updates. I copy them and repost them were others can see, with the link to the site so hopefully I'm getting at least one or two more people to come here.
  25. Very. very true. I used to start my day and end my day with a quick browse of various news sites. Now, once I've read the GB for the day, I feel a bit starved for information. The MSM has lost so much credibility for me, if I do read a news story, I immediately look for confirmation now.
  26. Thanks again for all your work : )
  27. Yes, but he was the Information Minister. He was just doing his job. I'm not going to blame him for getting a little overenthusiastic when his entire field of employment is about to be erased from his nation.

I don't understand why Ahmedinejad would want to imitate him.
  28. JohnDoe Moderator

It's unbelievable - I have no clue what is going on in my own country, I have not listened to TV or even radio news for weeks. Well basically since they stopped reporting on Iran!
  29. Iran has a decent constitution. The "flaw" with Iranian republic are all centered around the power given to supreme leader. His power needs to have a time limit and a counterbalance. "Absolute power creates absolute corruption." Khamenei now wields Islam as a weapon against his own people in order to protect the unjust. Does it get any more corrupt than that?

Sistani is a much wiser and pious man than either Khamenei or Khomenei. He does not thirst for power and focuses only upon providing right guidance of the spirit. It is only natural that he should do a better job guiding Iraq.
  30. I agree. Most of these traditional networks seem to care more about ratings than actually letting us know what's going on. And even when they mention these events, it's only for a few minutes.

Thanks, NiteOwl! Happy to know I can keep up with what's going on!
  31. Ray Murphy Member

I remember Bagdad Bob very well but somehow I disassociated him from the regime he worked for, and liked the way he did his media job - right through to the very end when the invading tanks were only a few miles away.

32. Latest development, you have now lost your integrity by flipping words stated by others.
  33. He is such a liar.
  34. then provide a correction. what did Nguyễn really say?
  35. Visionary Member

LOL, this poster always complains about the use of the word "select" in the green briefs. (it's kind of comical actually)
  36. oic. i totally missed that in the quote. lol.
  37. Quick setup Tor

Please add this link to the tor / proxie list at the bottom of the green Breifs

rbox

rbox tor is a tiny boot disk that can be set up in 10 mins (on a pc or safely& securely inside any system) and will run tor.

soon there will be another tool available - rbox v2 ....
  38. Thanks ...

Thanks once more for doing these briefs, especially while feeling poorly. (I've been in the position of needing to push on while sick and know it is no fun at all! So I admire you all the more for pushing on when I know it is a voluntary pursuit.) I do read these as soon as I can manage, even if I can sometimes only manage a day late (as now) and greatly appreciate your hard work. I see from your latest tweet that you're feeling much better and am glad to learn of it for your sake!