Customize

The Green Brief #30 (July 16)

Discussion in 'Green Brief' started by NiteOwl, Jul 16, 2009.

1. NiteOwl Member

URGENT!!! : (For a rough translation of Rafsanjani's speech on Friday: http://tinyurl.com/ksamz7)

I'm NiteOwl AKA Josh Shahryar - twitter.com/iran_translator on twitter - and I've been immersed in tweets from Iran for the past several hours. I have tried to be extremely careful in choosing my tweet sources. What I have compiled below is what I can confirm through my reliable twitter sources. Remember, this is all from tweets. (My work is released under Creative Commons (CC). So use it freely and post it wherever you wish to.)

These are the important happenings that I can positively confirm from Thursday, July 16 . (A list of all the Green Briefs: The Green Briefs)

In Danish: http://tinyurl.com/nsra89

In French: http://tinyurl.com/nctvtd

In German: http://tinyurl.com/lfkzfg

In Swedish: http://greenbrief.blogspot.com/

In Polish: http://glosiranu.blog.pl/archiwum/index.php?nid=14402692

In Spanish: http://tinyurl.com/mqzbza

Protests / Unrest

1. Several families of political prisoners continued their protest in front of the Islamic Courts in Tehran for the freedom of their loved ones.

2. Students in many universities in Iran are refusing to take part in exams in a show of protest against the election. Dozens of security forces’ personnel have been stationed at Amir Kabir University to quell any further protests that might be held there.

3. Workers of Iran-Barak Company are continuing their strike in protest of the election. The company is located in Rasht City and over 220 people work there – most of them women.

4. In Shiraz during protests on July 9th, one protester served Basijis with iced home-made juice. Reportedly, the juice also contained strong laxatives sending dozens of Basijis back to their barracks.

Opposition

5. It has now been confirmed that Mahdi Karoubi will be attending the Friday prayers along with Mousavi. Earlier the Etemaade Melli newspaper – a media outlet close to reformists – reported that Mohammad Khatami, Mahdi Karoubi, Hashemi Rafsanjani and Nategh Noori will not be participating in Ahmadinejad’s inauguration ceremony to be held on August 2.

6. Following the meetings of Mousavi and Karoubi with families of detained or martyred protesters, Khatami today also visited the families of detained political prisoners, Nabavi, Hajjarian, Abtahi and Tajzadeh. It was also reported that members of BARAN Council also held a meeting with Khatami.

7. In a letter released today, several prominent Shi’ite scholars declared their support for Ayatollah Ostadi, the Friday prayer Imam of Qom. Ostadi had announced that he would not longer lead Friday prayers.

8. Azam Taloghani, the daughter of Tehran’s first Friday prayers’ Imam, asked the Assembly of Experts to do more in order to help people get their rights. She claimed that Iran’s political system was in danger and that the government was indiscriminately imprisoning and killing peaceful protesters.

9. French Foreign Minister Bernard Kouchner said today that the French government was going to recognize Ahmadinejad as Iran’s legitimate president as doing otherwise would be counter-productive and useless. Speaking to the French parliament, He said that France, however, will continue to strengthen ties with and support the democracy movement in Iran.

(A French citizen who speaks French clearly did a bit of very HELPFUL work and revised this for us and wrote me an email explaining what had actually happened. Here's a link to her email: http://tinyurl.com/mzdrst - I must say that I trust her judgment very much)

10. Iran on Thursday summoned the French ambassador to Iran and criticized the ‘unacceptable’ and ‘repressive’ brutality of the French police against protesters in France on July 14. According to a report published by IRNA, the Foreign Ministry called France’s human rights condition deplorable.

Government / International

11. Mahmoud Ahmadinejad made a trip to Mashhad today and spoke at the Imam Reza Shrine in the city. He delivered a speech calling the Iranian election of the freest in recorded history. He continued to denounce foreign intervention in Iranian affairs and called on Western nations to apologize for interfering in its affairs. He also said that the Iranian nation had disappointed the West by voting for him and that even though Iran wanted negotiations, it had been cleared that the West didn’t.

12. The crowd gathered at Imam Reza Shrine was mostly composed of government employees, security forces personnel and people who’d been brought to Mashhad by buses from the countryside. It has been confirmed the number of clerics who attended the speech was extremely low. Ayatollah Va’ez Tabasi – one of the senior-most clerics of Mashhad – didn’t even greet Ahmadinejad into the city. It is worth mentioning that he had come out to greet every president before Ahmadinejad who had come to Mashhad after their reelection.

13. Outside, massive preparations were in place to ensure the President-Select’s security. The door of the shrine remained closed for much of the speech. His speech comes at a time when Gholam Reza Aghazadeh – the head of Iran’s nuclear program – tendered his resignation yesterday which was promptly accepted by the government. Aghazadeh led the agency for more than a decade and is a close associate of Hashemi Rafsanjani and Hossein Mousavi.

Arrests / Releases / Deaths

14. It has been reported that prize-winning Iranian photojournalist Majid Saeedi has been arrested and is in detention since July 11. Other than Saeedi, at least six other photojournalists have been arrested in the past few weeks – including Satyar Emami who was arrested on the same day as Saeedi. A French-Iranian cameraman Saeed Mohavedi is among the arrested journalists.

15. Four Tehran University students were also abducted by unknown people from their homes. Iranian lawyer Mohammad Ali Dadkhah has also been arrested by security forces. The whereabouts of the all of these detainees is unknown. It has also been confirmed that three students of Tabriz University who had gone missing a week ago are now in government detention.

16. Saeed Hajjarian’s wife and son were arrested today as well. His wife was released after a few hours of interrogation, but his son remains in custody. It’s worth mentioning that his son was previously detained, kept in jail for several days and was released later. Political Mohsen Mirdamadi was able to briefly contact his family today and tell them about his detention after a month of being custody.

17. Four professors of Ghazvin University have also been arrested. Their names are Dr. Raeesian, Dr. Imani, Dr. Davish and Dr. Fazli. Later reports indicated that they might have been released but I cannot fully confirm this at this point.

18. A staff member of the French Embassy with dual Iranian and French citizenship who had been arrested on Saturday was released today by security forces. However, her computer and some of her personal belongings were confiscated.

19. Reports indicate that even though Evin Prison is overflowing with detainees, more and more people are being brought in to be housed there. A protester who was released recently from the prison said that he was told daily that they would execute him in a couple of days.

(As promised, I feel much better today, thanks for all the concern. Still very depressed about this, though: Israel’s Back Yard.)

*A hearty thanks to Sahar joon for helping me out with proof-reading and very valuable tips. Also, a BIG THANKS to all the translators who're spending their precious time on getting this to as many people as possible.

Read this if you want to help or get help!

Helpers:

A. You can retweet this link and help others know what is going on in Iran.

B: If you would like to help out with compiling all the news stories from Iran in a geo-spatial context, please request for sub-editorship at #iran.aic - WebIRC - AnonNet - Check out the website for the project at: Iran Map | Iran Map or email me at dbosca@gmail.com.

C. The government in Iran is still increasing internet filtering and throttling in an attempt to silence their people. Anonymous info shows that many in Iran are looking for proxy and Tor information in Tehran and all around the country. Please donate your bandwidth to help bring down the Iran Curtain. Here are links on how to help and get help on this:

English:

Tor Browser Bundle

Tor Browser Bundle

Tor Browser Bundle

Tor and the Iranian Election - Bring down the Iran Curtain | Ian's Brain

Farsi:

Tor Browser Bundle

Tor: آنلاين Tor

Get video torrents and help on Tor here:

Gonzo Times � Torrents List (82 videos)
  2. Thank you again for all of your hard work.

I continue to toil for 12 hours a day collecting and posting news links to Iran News Central so others can find and read them more easily.

Whozits
  3. LOVED item #4

Imaginative. :)
  4. Thank you once again! I am so glad you are feeling better, though the blog was very depressing, what kind of world do we live in.
    I pray something wonderful happens on Friday, maybe a dream but I am holding on to it.
    peace
    A
  5. Laxative Tea

4. In Shiraz during protests on July 9th, one protester served Basijis with iced home-made juice. Reportedly, the juice also contained strong laxatives sending dozens of Basijis back to their barracks.

Someone has a sense of humor.

A small amount of Senna leaf is an effective Colon cleanser (Very strong laxative), and when brewed with tea is nearly undetectable. Iced tea anyone? :)
  6. Visionary Member

Several. Wasn't it a lot before?
    nice
    What? Damn it! How dare they do this before he has even been sworn in! I hope they end up eating those words soon. (even if they are supposedly supporting the opposition)
    Good to hear.

Thanks so much for the updates!
  7. watsongs2012 Member

The news of the French government's recognition of ahmadin.. kinda makes me think of the tacit approval that governments of the 1930's gave to hitler while his regime was incubating.
  8. jtreglio Member

Except that Hitler was democratically elected as prime minister.
  9. Great Work

NiteOwl,

Great work as always!

Friend of Iran
  10. Are you referring to Ay. Taleghani's daughter? Azam Alaee Taleghani?

LOVED number 4. hahahah brilliant . LOL
  12. {img]http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g208/E-F-F-E-C-T/Lmaonade.gif[/img]

yeah, and his farts smell like candy.
  13. sorry about that

Lmaonade.gif
  14. 10. Iran on Thursday summoned the French ambassador to Iran and criticized the ‘unacceptable’ and ‘repressive’ brutality of the French police against protesters in France on July 14. According to a report published by IRNA, the Foreign Ministry called France’s human rights condition deplorable.

Pot meet slightly tarnished silver tea service

:) BooFaust

PS Great work as always Looking foreward to tomorrow... I hope you will have great things to report on the events of the next few hours.
  15. Dude...whatever you think of Ahmadinejad, I dont think you should be smelling his ass or farts
  16. they are the sweetest smelling farts in recorded history. :cool:
  17. "4. In Shiraz during protests on July 9th, one protester served Basijis with iced home-made juice. Reportedly, the juice also contained strong laxatives sending dozens of Basijis back to their barracks."

WIN :)

Thank you once again, NiteOwl!
  18. 9. French Foreign Minister Bernard Kouchner said today that the French government was going to recognize Ahmadinejad as Iran’s legitimate president as doing otherwise would be counter-productive. Speaking to the French parliament, He said that France, however, will continue to strengthen ties with and support the democracy movement in Iran.

This is the opposite of every other news I have seen:
    جنبش سبز ایران پیروز شد… فرانسه احمدی نژاد را به رسمیت نمی شناسد! پیدُم
    بالاترین:‌ لینکهای داغ

They all say they DIDN't recognize him as president.
  19. Nevermind. My bad.
  20. laxatives in the drinks. a classic. people should do this more often, very effective.
  21. Machiavelli Member

He wasn't.
    The NSDAP was the largest party in parliament, but they were still far from a majority. When one coalition failed, Hitler was tasked with the formation of a new government by Hindenburg - the senile, conservative president.

Only when Hitler ALREADY controlled the executive and the mass media (backed by Hindenburg) did he win a majority in elections.

Substitute Hindenburg with Khamenei and you are in the present.
  22. Haha... France tries to kiss Iran's ass and Iran turns around and insults France. Haha, gotta love France, mostly for being the western world's asshole.
  23. NiteOwl Member

24. Don't fret, NightOwl, these are difficult times. You are doing a lot to help. You touch people from around the globe (I'm in Honolulu and RT you daily@kmita3). Eat, sleep, breathe. Take care, friend, and God bless.
  25. rupert-IRAN Member

TOTAL kicked out of oil/gas negotiations last week, wth China getting lions share,so can we be surprised at French pragmatism to commerce!
  26. JKShalmani Member

"[His speech comes at a time when] Gholam Reza Aghazadeh – the head of Iran’s nuclear program – tendered his resignation yesterday which was promptly accepted by the government. Aghazadeh led the agency for more than a decade and is a close associate of Hashemi Rafsanjani and Hossein Mousavi."

It was reported throughout various western media yesterday that Mr Aghazadeh submitted his retirement about 3 weeks ago (e.g. BBC NEWS | Middle East | Iranian nuclear chief steps down), lateron I heard that it was accepted only yesterday and that's why the news came out at this time.

Which one is true?
  27. JohnDoe Moderator

[quote

Government / International

11. Mahmoud Ahmadinejad made a trip to Mashhad today and spoke at the Imam Reza Shrine in the city. He delivered a speech calling the Iranian election of the freest in recorded history. He continued to denounce foreign intervention in Iranian affairs and called on Western nations to apologize for interfering in its affairs. He also said that the Iranian nation had disappointed the West by voting for him and that even though Iran wanted negotiations, it had been cleared that the West didn’t.

12. The crowd gathered at Imam Reza Shrine was mostly composed of government employees, security forces personnel and people who’d been brought to Mashhad by buses from the countryside. It has been confirmed the number of clerics who attended the speech was extremely low. Ayatollah Va’ez Tabasi – one of the senior-most clerics of Mashhad – didn’t even greet Ahmadinejad into the city. It is worth mentioning that he had come out to greet every president before Ahmadinejad who had come to Mashhad after their reelection.

13. Outside, massive preparations were in place to ensure the President-Select’s security. The door of the shrine remained closed for much of the speech. His speech comes at a time when Gholam Reza Aghazadeh – the head of Iran’s nuclear program – tendered his resignation yesterday which was promptly accepted by the government. Aghazadeh led the agency for more than a decade and is a close associate of Hashemi Rafsanjani and Hossein Mousavi.

[/quote]

Thanks again Niteowl.

So it certainly looks like the clergy are not supporting him. It's really big news that Ayatollah Va’ez Tabasi did not even welcome him to the city. That is surely a huge insult.

Smart thinking that person in Shiraz;) Although in a way it's a shame it's been publicized, for now they will not want to accept refreshments from people.
  28. NiteOwl Member

Well, he has tendered his resignation and it has been accepted. That seems to be certain at this point.
  29. French foreign minister

If the French government accepts Ahmadinejad is up to President Sarkozy. The foreign minister might have an opinion but it is not officiall unless the President says so and Sarkozy is a very autocratic President so just relax. I don't think that France will recognice Ahmadinejad soon.
  30. About Bernard Kouchner's declaration

Hi,

The news you quote are erroneous.

The French news:

The news you quote say "Bernard Kouchner said that as Ahmadinejad had been proclaimed president", but the original report say "La France reconnaîtra Mahmoud Ahmadinejad comme nouveau président iranien s'il est proclamé comme tel par 'tout le monde' en Iran" ("France will recognize Mahmoud Ahmadinejad as new Iranian president if he is proclaimed as such by "everyone' in Iran").

It goes on with: "Le ministère français des Affaires étrangères a souligné par la suite que Bernard Kouchner avait parlé 'd'une éventuelle reconnaissance', qui ne se produirait 'qu'en cas d'accord de tout le monde en Iran, essentiellement les autres candidats à la présidentielle'" ("The French Ministry of foreign affairs later underlined that Bernard Kouchner talked about 'an eventual recognition', which would only be realized 'in case of an agreement of everyone in Iran, essentially the other candidates to the presidency'").

While it probably won't make much difference in reality (not that anything people say have much meaning anyway, in today society), what was said was still quote different from what you report, and I guess there won't be any move from France, before the sworn-in, leaving two more weeks for the situation to maybe evolve in Iran (passivity from France, of course, but it's pretty much the same with all other countries).

Thanks for your otherwise very good briefs,

Bye.
  31. NiteOwl Member

Hi, thank you.

I also talked to a friend who speaks French and she did a bit of clarification similar to yours which I updated on the Brief. I will post it in the next brief as well. I think the English translators at AFP did a very bad job and gave Kouchner a very bad name.

Again, thank you for taking the time and explaining. :)

Josh
  32. So, Sarkozy giveth and Sarkozy taketh away.

Very smart and more effective.

Maybe?
  33. "(As promised, I feel much better today, thanks for all the concern. Still very depressed about this, though: Israel’s Back Yard.)"

So you're Israel-bashing now on an Iran forum? A forum, which I've followed every day since the beginning?

You've now totally lost my respect.
  34. OH NO! NOT YOUR RESPECT! CAN LOSE ANYONE'S RESPECT EXCEPT YOURS!

Yes, NiteOwl, How dare you show sympathy for another oppressed people, and talk about other oppressors. Shame on you!
  35. NiteOwl Member

This is a forum. Not a news agency. I'm allowed to voice my concern about anything anywhere I want. And why is it that no one ever reads anything I write denouncing Hamas and Hezbollah? And thank you for flushing down the toilet 30-days of work because of a passing mention of why I was depressed.

Learn to take some constructive criticism. You're not the only Jew here to defend the honor of Israel.

As for losing your respect, honestly, I posted it there totally oblivious of where I was doing that. I would have deleted it personally had it not been this outcry of Israelis. It's gonna stay there just because of this.
  36. I thought the Israelis were supporting the resistance movement in Iran were genuinely concerned about freedom, human rights, and democracy. It is now apparent that they only cared because of their own agendas. We dont need and dont want your support.
  37. Visionary Member

I've only seen one person complain so far.
    No need to lump everyone together like that.
  38. two people in this thread. JB and an ANON.