Customize

The Green Brief #32 (July 18)

Discussion in 'Green Brief' started by NiteOwl, Jul 18, 2009.

1. NiteOwl Member

I'm NiteOwl AKA Josh Shahryar - twitter.com/iran_translator on twitter. I'm a journalist and a human rights activist and NOT Iranian. This is a compilation of news from Iran that I've gathered through twitter and Iranian sites that were advertised on twitter. Remember, this is all from tweets. (My work is released under Creative Commons (CC) so you can post it wherever you want as long as you provide a link to the original source and the disclaimer... PLEASE?.)

These are the important happenings that I can positively confirm from Saturday, July 18 . (A list of all the Green Briefs: The Green Briefs)

In Danish: http://tinyurl.com/l6dcw5

In German: Irannews: Green Brief #32 (18. Juli 2009) - Deutsch

In Hebrew: Content Factory Reports:NO MIND CONTROL CC שיתוף למטרות יצירתיות ‎(contentfactory)‎

In Italian: The Green Brief #32 (July 18) in Italian - Why We Protest - IRAN

In Polish: http://glosiranu.blog.pl/archiwum/index.php?nid=14405462

In Spanish: Informe Verde #32 � Diplomática de Bolsillo

Protests / Unrest

1. An event called the “Global Day of Action” is being organized for human rights in Iran by activists throughout the world. This event will take place on July 25th all across the world- in at least 50 cities. Protesters will demand the freedom of all Iranians apprehended, as well as asking the Iranian Government to stop the repression of the Iranian populace. More about this here: http://united4iran.org/

2. New reports emerging from yesterday’s protests, confirm the burning of several Russian flags around Iran – a clear sign of their outrage for Russia’s continued support for the Iranian Regime.

3. Youngsters in Iran have taken up a new course of action to show their discontent. Every night, they form small groups and walk around small streets and alleys, chanting slogans against the regime and in support of Mir Hossein Mousavi.

Opposition

4. Etemaade Melli Newspaper reported that the Minister of Information, Gholamhossein Mohseni Ejaie, held a meeting with Sayed Mohammad Khatami. It is important to note that Ejaie is widely touted as the “Intelligence Chief” of Iran. It is not clear what was discussed in the meeting at this point.

5. In a statement released today, Sayed Mohammad Khatami said that he was unable to join Friday Prayer’s because he “was in Qom holding meetings with prominent clerics.” From the onset of the post-election turmoil, several leaders of the opposition have gone to Qom and held meetings with Ayatollahs. Many Ayatollahs have so far pledged their support for the cause of the protesters.

6. In an interview with ILNA today, Emad Afroogh – a conservative Iranian politician and former member of the Iranian Parliament – has criticized the government’s media censorship tactics. He supports Rafsanjani’s speech and said that Rafsanjani’s words pointed out necessary steps that need to be taken in order to restore calm in Iran. He said that, “Iran wasn’t China and that the government needn’t worry about a velvet revolution.” He asked the government to prosecute any media outlets that have lied about people’s demands and their activities in the post-election turmoil.

7. Shirin Ebadi – Nobel Peace Prize winner and human rights activist - released a statement today stating, “If the government doesn’t change its mind and act rationally, protests will continue.” Ebadi also urged the County of LA yesterday to not grant a business contract to Siemens because of their involvement in Iran’s censorship.

Government / International

8. Ayatollah Mohammad Yazdi – a member of the Guardian Council – has strongly criticized Rafsanjani’s Friday Sermon. He said that, “A government’s legitimacy doesn’t come from people, but by God’s support.” He claimed that Rafsanjani had “no right” to ask for the release of detainees. He pointed out that Prophet Mohammed had also ordered the destruction of mosques built by Monafiqeen (People who claimed to be Muslim so they could create rifts between the Islamic communities).

(This is a correction. There was an error in reporting as we reported that Mesbah Yazdi had released those statements while it was Mohammad Yazdi. Apologies)

9. Many hard-liners - including Ahmad Khatami as well as Keyhan Daily Newspaper (which is considered to be the voice of Khamenei) - have criticized the appointment of Rahim Mashaie as Vice President of Iran. They have requested Mahmoud Ahmadinejad to review his decision because Mashaie was “not fit” for the position. Mashaie has been blasted by hard-liners in the past for saying, “The people of Iran were friends of the people of Israel.”

10. Reports indicate that Iran’s government has plans for systematically removing all “pro-Mousavi” and “anti-Ahmadinejad” professors from Iranian Universities. The first victims of this policy - Dr. Fatimeh Rakeie and Dr. Abdollah Naseri of Tehran’s Az-Zahra University - have been forced to resign their positions. Many faculty members of Az-Zahra had joined Mousavi’s movement recently. The “plan” also encompasses government employees from various ministries. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs has created a list of 200 names that have to be ‘purged’ from within the ministry.

11. The Guardian Council has published a detailed report about the election and the post-election events that transpired. The report asserts the legitimacy and accuracy of the elections, and notes that all complaints filed against the election were investigated and found to be baseless. The detailed report has been published by Parleman News which you can find here: پارلمان نیوز : گزارش تفصیلی شورای نگهبان پیرامون دهمین دوره انتخابات ریاست جمهوری منشر شد

Arrested / Released / Killed

12. Dr. Hasan Shiekhabadi, a political activist and journalist, was arrested yesterday from Mahabad in West Azerbaijan Province. Hossein Mousavi (Not to be confused with Mir Hossein Mousavi) and other members of the Participation Front were arrested right before Friday Prayer’s. Three of the members were released, but Hossein Mousavi and many others are still in custody.

13. It has now been confirmed that another detained protester, 18 year old Muhammad Kamrani, has died after being severely tortured by the regime’s security forces. According to sources, Kamrani died on Thursday after being in detention for over a week. Evidently, he was tortured so badly that the “gesture” of transferring him to a hospital proved futile. Reports indicate that even though Kamrani never regained consciousness after his transfer, he was still kept bound in his hospital bed.

14. In an interview published by Javan Daily, the Minister of Information has stated that many people responsible for the operation and maintenance of Ayandeh and Jomhooriyat Websites have been arrested. He alleged that, “These people were working to harm the Islamic Republic and that the government would clamp down on ALL people who are involved in attempts at creating tensions within Iran.”

15. Amnesty International has released a statement calling for the immediate release of Iranian feminist, lawyer, and journalist Shadi Sadr, who was arrested yesterday. Security forces also raided her home and confiscated her computer, documents and many of her personal belongings.

Miscellaneous

16. Tehran Municipality Council has announced that it will be cleaning Azadi Tower. An icon in the city built 38 years ago, Azadi Tower is located in Azadi Square - the scene of many of the protests. According to reports, orders to wash the tower are due to the overwhelming display of anti-government and pro-reform slogans written all over the white tower.

17. Nokia sales are really taking a hit in Tehran as members of the Green Movement have started an active campaign to rid the country of the company’s cell phones. According to sources, members have organized a campaign to stop buying new Nokia cell phones and discard those already in use. Similar campaigns are taking place around the world by other groups of concerned individuals. Reports from yesterday indicate that the County of Los Angeles might not grant Siemens -another company implicated along with Nokia in selling surveillance equipment to the Iranian Government - a business contract because of anger over its role in the regime’s ability to track down dissenters.

Listen to: Sea of Green Radio // Playlist --> http://ow.ly/hCcZ // Browse --> Radionomy - Sea of Green radio ICECAST COMING SOON// The Big Board: Radio Index - GreenCandle

Read this if you want to help or get help!

Helpers:

A. You can retweet this link and help others know what is going on in Iran.

B: If you would like to help out with compiling all the news stories from Iran in a geo-spatial context, please request for sub-editorship at #iran.aic - WebIRC - AnonNet - Check out the website for the project at: Iran Map | Iran Map

C. The government in Iran is still increasing internet filtering and throttling in an attempt to silence their people. Anonymous info shows that many in Iran are looking for proxy and Tor information in Tehran and all around the country. Please donate your bandwidth to help bring down the Iran Curtain. Here are links on how to help and get help on this:

English:

Tor Browser Bundle

Tor Browser Bundle

Tor Browser Bundle
  2. Thank you for all you do. It is important that the world knows what is going on inside Iran.

I am continuing to collect and post links to news stories/Videos/Pictures/Blog and political cartoons at Iran News Central I hope it helps the cause.

Whozits
  3. Just wanted to say, thanks as always for all your hard work and persistence in keeping us informed!
    Taking a moment to remember Muhammad Kamrani...very depressing news. May he be at peace now.
  4. JohnDoe Moderator

Thanks again,

I've been waiting up for a couple of extra hours to read this - after your comments on Twitter!!

I find it hard to believe that Amamadman seems to be determined to even alienate his friends in the choices he is making. Seem almost suicidal to me.

Wonder who to and what Khatami was talking about in Qom.

So Khamini's supporters didn't like Raf's speech? It must have been good then:D

Please God keep those children walking round the streets safe!

Now I can get some sleep!
  5. 3. Youngsters in Iran have taken up a new course of action to show their discontent. Every night, they form small groups and walk around small streets and alleys, chanting slogans against the regime and in support of Mir Hossein Mousavi.

Is this safe? The way the gov. has been acting it would seem not.

I await the Green Brief anxiously daily. Thank you and all that assist....
  6. Thanks for all your hard work & keeping us informed about what's happening in Iran. It seems that each day is more heartbreaking that the previous one.
  7. Vee Member

Thankyou so much for these.
  8. 18 Years Old

Thank you Nite Owl, for all your hard work.

It is so hard to read about the victims of this sick regime. My heart goes out to Mr. Kamrani's family and friends. What a terrible and sinful waste of a young life. What we hear outside Iran is just a fraction of what Iranians live with every day. Yet, still they protest and this is why they will ultimately win because, as a Tehrani I know puts it, "Ahmadinejad fears us more than we fear him." But how many more of these innocent people, the best and brightest of Iran and the world, must be arrested, tortured in unspeakable ways, killed before the regime realizes which way the winds are blowing in Iran and in this world?
  9. Thanks a million....

Thanks a lot for all the zahmat and effort you put in educating us about what's going on in our beloved country everyday.

I just wanted to do a jesarat, and say that Azadi was built in 1971 for the 2500 saltanateh shahanshahi and was named Shahyād Āryāmehr. After 79 revolution it was changed to Azadi. You mentioned it was built 20 years ago and I was like, I'm 29 and I clearly remember seeing it in most of the videos I'd seen from IRIB about the 79 revolution.

I'm just afraid they're going to somehow damage it. At the end of the Tehran municipal.....letter, it was written that they'll be careful not to damage it, which in Ahmadi, translates to "we'll use every mean to damage it"...
  10. Small Correction

Azadi Tower is 38 years old, built under the Shah in 1971 in commemoration of the 2500th anniversary of the Persian Empire.
  11. NiteOwl Member

Thank you! Yes, that was clearly an error on my part. I fixed it now. :) And feel free to tell me whenever you see an error. I'll correct it pronto!
  12. Visionary Member

Those scumbags! So sad that another young life has been lost to the sadistic torturers. Hopefully these events will strengthen the protesters resolve, and not scare them into staying home (although I would not blame them for being afraid).

Also I wonder what Khatami was talking to the intelligence guy about...I hope he wasn't being threatened to back down or something.

Thanks so much for the updates once again!
  13. Nichol Member

Thanks, another surprising amount of data

But it is indeed depressing. And just think how long Mugabe has kept his crazy excuse for a regime going, by paying his cronies with foreign money, taking other people's land, bashing in heads of the opposition, and finally lowering life expectancy to something in the order of 40! And he is still there, still causing trouble.

Why can such a useless scoundrel hold out for so long? I think the neighbouring countries, especially South Africa and Mbeki are to blame. Zimbabweans are still hanging on by their toenails. Millions fled to South Africa.

I surely hope Iranians are stronger and can win this thing. But Ahmedi & the so-called 'Leader' still seem to own a number of independent armies (very much the setup Hitler also had: SA, SS, luftwaffe, .. all competing). None of these armies seems prepared to resist and face-up to the other armies.

The protesters are brave, but they don't have the armed power to break open Evin, take over IRIB TV&Radio, and the open up internet en phone connections. They can only chip away at the moral conviction of the various military groups.

In this game all the middle-men are much more important than most realize: Rafsanjani, finally convinced he must do something, has the important role of applying delaying tactics, defending by applying moral pressure to the conservatives. Hopefully that does reduce the freedom for the ruffians to continue their barbarious brutality. Only if that works will the brave people in the street have the power to keep hoping.

Lets hope Khamenei and Ahmedinejad are not as stubborn and crual as Mugabe.. The Iranian people are certainly stronger, more technically savvy to break open communications. And whatever people say about Rafsanjani: there is some movement in the right direction.

..oops. This was just supposed to be a comment. No long statement :rolleyes:
  14. Kat-IRAN Member

Something new?

I've read your brief that I've waited for all day - as usual you did a wonderful job. Thank you for the summary of significant events that you guys put together - it saves me so much time from digging through tons of info.

It's important to put faces to the names of people that are dying in Iran due to protesting - does anyone know where a photo is posted of Muhammad Kamrani?

I also noticed that the opening intro by Night Owl/Josh Shahryar goes on to state that he is NOT Iranian - I don't believe that I've seen that statement before and I was just wondering why that's popped up? Did I miss something along the way?
  15. NiteOwl Member

I put that there because of two reasons:

1. To emphasize that it's not just Iranians who are trying to help Iran but thousands of other people from around the world who care and want to help. Just like yourself.

2. Some media orgs quoted the GB and said that I was an Iranian translator which I am not. I don't want to create further confusion.
  16. Thanks again and again. You are Irans voice!!!
  17. Drtoad Member

Thank you

Thank you again for the report NiteOwl!
  18. angelraven1 Member

Once again, many thanks to you Nite Owl for all your hard work, you are one person I know I can trust to get accurate information from and for that I am grateful.

So , pleased u r feeling better and you did not need my herbal remedies. :D
  19. Visionary Member

20. Hutchin mulls

Thank you NiteOwl.
  21. thanks for links

I hear your briefs read aloud in English and some music interspersed:
    http://www.radionomy.com/sea-of-green-radio.aspx#/sea-of-green-radio.aspx?Dum=1

I can read from Amsterdam to Zurich (A - Z) when on 25 July there will be a worldwide opportunity to show support for free will in Iran:
    http://united4iran.org/
  22. JohnDoe Moderator

"10. Reports indicate that Iran’s government has plans for systematically removing all “pro-Mousavi” and “anti-Ahmadinejad” professors from Iranian Universities. The first victims of this policy - Dr. Fatimeh Rakeie and Dr. Abdollah Naseri of Tehran’s Az-Zahra University - have been forced to resign their positions. Many faculty members of Az-Zahra had joined Mousavi’s movement recently. The “plan” also encompasses government employees from various ministries. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs has created a list of 200 names that have to be ‘purged’ from within the ministry."

Soon every one of Amamadman's supporters will have to be able to multi-task, for there will be so few left in the universities to teach, or do any of the other gvt jobs!

Unbelivable! every one of these people probably represents another thousand, by the time you take in their families and friends and friend's families etc, who will be totally oppesed to the regime because of this purge. . . forever!

Seems to be another sign of the desperation being shown by a dying system.

Those who are their 'friends' better watch out, for the next thing to happen is that the regime will turn on itself and the purge will have to go even deeper - for they will trust no one!
  23. Siemens Boycott in LA

Please help us in supporting a boycott of Siemens purchases and contracts by Los Angeles County. Specifically, the MTA should not award Siemens a large contract for rail cars. Contact the LA County Board of Supervisors to express your disappointment that Siemens supplied Iran with sensitive technology that is used to suppress its people and their freedom.

Link to Supervisors and their contact information may be found here:

http://ceo.lacounty.gov/forms/Color/01 BOS Main Page color.pdf
  24. Siemens Medical

Siemens medical division also does quite a bit of business with LA County. Please contact the LA Department of Health Services with similar boycott requests.

Contracts & Grants
    Kathy Hanks - Director
    313 N. Figueroa Street, 6th Floor, Los Angeles, CA 90012
    Phone: (213)-240-7900
    Email: cg@dhs.lacounty.gov
  25. wondering

Where are the leaders of the United States? I do not understand why the country that prides itself on freedom of speech, freedom of religion, power resting with the people, why are they sitting by quietly. I do understand not wanting to get involved with the politics of Iran, but the human rights are publicly being buried, and the beautiful people are being so severely tortured that they being set on fire to hide the crime. Shame on you Mr. Obama, you have to stand up for something. Where are the senators who are worried so about endangered species in the everglades of the United States? The people of IRAN are endangered!! Thank you again NightOwl for your tireless work
  26. Excellent as always Nite Owl

Thank you for all the work you do, and do well. And thank you, Anonymous.

In reply to the last post, this isn't about the US. Nor I doubt do the Iranians want the US to come sweeping in to "save" them the way we did in Iraq. We have no other way to be involved - no diplomatic relations, no trade relations to speak of, nothing to use as a lever. What does the US Government have to offer but brute force or empty words? The American people are free and can help in their own ways without a green light from their government.
  27. Point well taken....however.....all I was referring to is words....words in support of the Iranian people. In no way do I want the US to be the "savior" of the world, just a proponent for freedom....freedom everywhere. Against atrocities, against rape, abductions off the streets of people who may disagree with the the supreme leader etc.....only words....thats what I would like to hear.
  28. Voters Union Member

1) Diplomacy. Other countries and their companies have business relations with the Iranian regime and the US can certainly act its part in the larger international community (U.N., G8, etc).

2) Promoting electronic freedom of speech by governmental programs or by supporting NGOs (see Attack the Cyberwalls!: The Internet Is the Pathway to Democracy in Places Like Iran | Dynamic Internet Technology).

3) Funding local groups. As it turns out the US has been and is actually providing funding to the opposition in Iran through USAID and NED (despite, I would say, lying about it): U.S. grants support to Iranian dissidents - USATODAY.com

I'm not sure what the net effect of these efforts are, but I, like the previous poster, also assume that very few people want to be "saved" by the US.
  29. Phones

Great job NiteOwl!

So I guess we should all stop buying Nokia and Siemens!
  30. Nichol Member

Diplomacy?

The people on friday made a statement, when they refused to chant against the traditional America and England, but in stead chose for Russia and China. This was a loud approval of whatever is being done. It also seems that Iranians would not mind some more targeted boycotts. The banks with mullah-billions should be scared to the level that they downgrade Iran's credit-rating. Nearly all trade with Iran is probably trade with its military-industrial thugs.
  31. MerlinTKD Member

Thank you again, NiteOwl. Quoted and posted to Facebook... it makes me sad though, I have to be careful what I post, because so many of the people I know would just ignore the darker side of this, the tortue and killings. Still, I link the Brief every day in the hopes that just one of them will go look. Keep up the work - I looked, and it made a difference for me!
  32. Canadian MP Irwin Cotler has launched a human rights suit against the govt of Iran. This is not the US, but our Prime Minister is in good communication with the President.

I believe there are other human rights suits launched, but don't have details.

Canada launched a suit against Iran several years ago over the torture and killing of our journalist Kazemi at Evin.
  33. that's a great idea! graffiti support on buildings!
  34. That's a super idea. We could probably do some giant graffiti or posters on our buildings in the West, photograph them, and send them over to Iran by cell phone. That would be a long-lasting visual reminder of our love and support. Even something simple like painting construction boards green, decorating trees with green ribbons... that sort of thing.
    :)
  35. jaschenb74 Member

This post is dead-on. By simply speaking out the U.S. can inspire here. If you want more direct action, consider whether bringing pressure to bear on allies to freeze Iranian investments or bank accounts abroad. Recall how much North Korea squealed when Macao Bank froze assets at the request of the U.S. several years ago?

And, Iran's need to import fuel because of substandard refining capacity is a vulnerability. I'm more leery of this one because I wonder if it affects the everyday person much more than the government. And, it would require some major cooperation from global players that I don't think would be forthcoming. Thoughts?

36. the writing on the wall.

also,a pictorial and testimonial record of all the enablers and agents kept for future criminal charges.(that's a job for the group mind.pics and testimony gathered locally and collated then posted.(already being done?))