Customize

The Green Brief #37 (July 23)

Discussion in 'Green Brief' started by NiteOwl, Jul 23, 2009.

1. NiteOwl Member

I'm NiteOwl AKA Josh Shahryar - twitter.com/iran_translator on twitter. I'm a journalist and a human rights activist and NOT Iranian. This is a compilation of news from Iran that I've gathered through twitter and Iranian sites that were advertised on twitter. Remember, this is all from tweets. (My work is released under Creative Commons (CC).)

These are the important happenings that I can positively confirm from Thursday, July 23 .

In German: http://tinyurl.com/ld63l5

In Hebrew: http://tinyurl.com/mnyuvq

In Italian: http://tinyurl.com/ktc5bo

In Polish: http://glosiranu.blog.pl/archiwum/index.php?nid=14413966

In Russian: http://tinyurl.com/ljbs3j

In Spanish: http://tinyurl.com/kvkp8t

In Swedish: http://greenbrief.blogspot.com/

Protests / Unrest

1. Dozens of Iranian-Armenians and Iranians protested in front of Caspian Airline’s office in Tehran today. A journalist covering the protests was arrested, but later freed. The protesters demanded to know why a Caspian Airline’s flight from Tehran to Yerevan, Armenia crashed near Qazvin more than a week ago. Security forces dispersed the protesters. Iranian Government Officials have said that it will take another 2 months to complete their investigation.

2. The hunger strike in front of the UN building in New York continued today, despite the pouring rain. Protesters sang songs from the revolution of 1979 and demanded that Iranian rights be safeguarded. Protesters declared their opposition to any military action against Iran. See pictures below – compliments of Mehdi Saharkhiz: onlymehdi, People singing so many ppl even in the rain

3. The citizens of Tehran have planned a protest for this Saturday. Details of the protest will be provided after it has transpired. People continued to chant “Allah-o-Akbar” last night in Tehran. Others walked the streets chanting “Death to the Dictator,” and “Allah-o-Akbar.”

Opposition

4. In a statement released today, Mousavi said, “We will not stop until the last detainee has been released by the government.” Mousavi’s wife, Zahra Rahnavard, stated, “The government can fabricate as many lies as it wants to, but the people of Iran will never believe any of the allegations against my detained brother.” She added, “My brother is only one amongst many other Iranian brothers and sisters who have been imprisoned – this is why I have not given his name to the media.” Lastly, she indicated that she will fight for her brother’s freedom.

5. Hossein Khomeini – a grandson of Imam Khomeini – has told the BBC in an interview that an Islamic Government had no legal basis in Islam unless the prophet or one of the 12 Imams was leading it. Hence, hinting that the current regime had no legal basis in Islam.

He also added that the current constitution and government could not be changed as long as a post for a spiritual leader as the country’s Supreme Leader existed, adding that spiritual leadership was for the prophet and the 12 Imams – 11 of which are dead and one is believed to be in hiding for more than a millennium. He condemned the government’s killing of peaceful protesters and of the indiscriminate arrests.

Government / International

6. It has been confirmed that Mohammad Yazdi - Secretary of the Assembly of Experts - has written a letter condemning Rafsanjani’s speech during Friday Prayers. Yazdi has asked him to revoke his stance. Although the letter is being circulated in the name of the entire Assembly, reports indicate that only a quarter of the members have signed it - another quarter has declined to do so.

7. IRIB has published Ahmadinejad’s letters of appointment for several of his new staff members. The list includes:

1: Asfandyar Rahim Mashaie as 1st Vice President
    2: Mehrdad Bazrpash as Director of the National Youth Organization
    3: Parvez Davoodi as 1st Advisor to the President
    4: Sayed Mojtaba Samareh Hashemi as 1st Assistant to the President
    5: Ali Akbar Salehi as Director of the National Atomic Energy Agency
    6: Mohammad Javad Hajali Akbari as Presidential Advisor on Youth Affairs
    7: Masood Zaribafan as Director of Martyrs Foundation and Veterans Affairs
    8: Hamid Baghaie as Director of the Office of Cultural Heritage, Tourism and Handicrafts

8. The Minister of Communication announced that SMS services will be reactivated step-by-step. SMS services have been essentially suspended in Iran for more than a month. Protesters were thought to rely on SMS services for coordinating their protests.

9. Ahmad Khatami – a member of the Assembly of Experts Leadership Council and hard-line cleric – announced today that, “Ahmadinejad will prove his loyalty to Khamenei by quickly removing Mashaie from his post as VP.” Khamenei has already shown his express desire for Mashaie’s removal.

10. In a statement released today, Ayatollah Dastegheyb yet again praised Rafsanjani’s Friday Sermon and asked the government to listen to Mousavi, Karroubi and Rezaie’s demands. He called for unity among Iranians. He added, “Foreigners are never going to be Iran’s friend- unity among Iranians is the only solution to Iran’s problems.”

11. On the other spectrum, Ayatollah Ali Akbar Gharshi also released a written statement that was sent to government officials and opposition leaders criticizing Rafsanjani’s Friday Sermon. Gharshi - who is a representative for Western Azerbaijan Province in the Assembly of Experts (which Rafsanjani heads) - told Rafsanjani, “It caused me much pain and distress to see that you were unable to keep yourself away from the turmoil on the streets." He asked Rafsanjani to stop before his “achievements and bright past” go to waste.

12. Ayatollah Abolghasem Khazali has also criticized Rafsanjani’s Sermon and said that the elections had been a marvelous event. He hinted that prisoners should not be released because they had been implicated in violence. It is worth mentioning that Ayatollah Khazali’s son was detained during the protests and has now been freed on bail.

13. In an interview with the BBC, US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said, “The internal debates going on inside Iran have made it difficult, if not impossible, for them to pursue any diplomatic engagement, not just with us but anyone, like the P5+1 [permanent UN Security Council members plus Germany]. There is so much that is on hold.”

14. Sweden - which heads the rotating presidency of the EU for six months – has asked the Iranian Government to promptly release Clotilde Reiss, a French citizen who has been imprisoned at Evin Prison for weeks.

(Rest Below)
  2. NiteOwl Member

Arrested / Released / Killed

15. Saeed Shojaiezadeh and Khosro Mousvivand – students at Ahvaz’s Naft University – were detained yesterday. The father of martyred protester, Masood Hashemzadeh has been detained from his house by plainclothesmen. His house was searched and many items belonging to Masood were confiscated. Masood died during protests on June 21st on Shademan Ave, north of Azadi Street.

16. More people have been detained during the past few days including: Ahmad Bahri – the founder of Mahabad Monthly who was arrested in Mahabad, Jafar Agha-Mohammadi – an activist from Maghan who was arrested in Maghan. Ramin Sultankhwah, Saeed Kashani, Zafar Mogheemi, Saeed Shamsaie and Abbas Zareh-Haqeeqi were arrested in Gonabad.

17. More reports indicate that missing protester, Alireza Eftekhari, was actually killed during protests. Mohsen Rohulamini – the son of the former Director of Pasteur Institute in Tehran and a top advisor to Mohsen Rezaie – who was feared to be in detention, has now also been confirmed to have died at Evin. Fahimeh Solahshoor – another protester – is confirmed to have died at a hospital after sustaining head injuries during protests on June 14th. Finally, Maisam Ebadi – a 17 year old protester – has also been confirmed to have died on June 13th.

18. The son of Isa Saharkhiz, Mehdi Saharkhiz, has reported that his father called home from Evin Prison. According to Mehdi, his father is currently being held in solitary confinement. Mehdi said that his father reported of having several broken ribs. He did not reveal if he had been tortured or not.

19. Partially-confirmed reports indicate that many detainees are now being held in a building that was previously used as a drug rehabilitation center in Shorabad (close to Beheshte Zahra Cemetery in Tehran). According to the reports, Evin Prison is now full to capacity and only important prisoners are being kept there. The rest of the “street protesters” are being moved to temporary holding spots.

20. It has been confirmed that Khamenei has plans to pardon and/or reduce the sentences of many detainees in order to foster reconciliation.

21. The mothers of Sohrab A’rabi and Ashkan Sohrabi went to meet Neda Agha-Soltan’s mother today. Many other feminists and women’s rights activists accompanied them.

22. An Iranian photographer, Ali Zareh, who was detained and released after 40 hours in detention by the security forces has released a Youtube video chronicling his arrest, detention and torture. In the video, Zareh confirms that two of the men responsible for his arrests were Lebanese. The Green Brief has repeatedly confirmed the presence of foreigners amongst the ranks of Iranian Security Forces. This is the first solid confirmation. Here’s a link to the video: YouTube - Ali Zare, photographer, talks about his detention in Iran

Media

23. Ayatollah Nasser Makarem-Shirazi today criticized IRIB for using what he called ‘aggressive’ and ‘unfriendly’ language against the opposition and asked for compassion and friendship.

*Discuss/Annotate: http://aic.openmsl.net/wiki/index.php/Green_Brief_37 ; Create it if it doesn't exist.

**If you wana republish the Green Brief, please visit this page: For Bloggers, News Sites and Forum who want to republish the Green Brief Plesae Read! - Why We Protest - IRAN

***For Radio Broadcasters: Green Brief Pronounciation Guide - Why We Protest - IRAN

****(A list of all the Green Briefs: http://ded1.hybrid-optix.com/greenbriefs.html]The Green Briefs

*****A hearty thanks to Sahar joon for helping me out with proof-reading and very valuable tips. Also, a BIG THANKS to all the translators who're spending their precious time on getting this to as many people as possible.

Read this if you want to help or get help!

Helpers:

A. You can retweet this link and help others know what is going on in Iran.

B. Discuss/Annotate: Green Brief 36 - Anonymous Intelligence Collective

C. Iranmapping: iranmap.whyweprotest.net ; If you would like to help out with compiling all the news stories from Iran in a geo-spatial context for Iranmapping, please follow the instruction over at IranMapping - Anonymous Intelligence Collective

D. The government in Iran is still increasing internet filtering and throttling in an attempt to silence their people. Anonymous info shows that many in Iran are looking for proxy and Tor information in Tehran and all around the country. Please donate your bandwidth to help bring down the Iran Curtain. Here are links on how to help and get help on this:

English:

Tor Browser Bundle

Tor Browser Bundle

Tor Browser Bundle

Tor and the Iranian Election - Bring down the Iran Curtain | Ian's Brain

Farsi:

Tor Browser Bundle

Tor: آنلاين Tor

Get video torrents and help on Tor here:

Gonzo Times � Torrents List (82 videos)
  3. EdWanD Member

As always Tks for the good work.
  4. sp4rrowh4wk Member

thank you, NiteOwl. i am never too busy to read your Green Brief.
  5. Great job as always. Thanks for all your hard work & sleepless nights to spread the word.
  6. Thank You NightOwl. You are, as always, our hero...

Now that we actually have the name of a source who has confirmed the presence of Lebanese within Iran, instigating violence against the populace, I consider it appropriate to call this illegitimate government a foreign invader. They use foreign mercenaries to impose their policies upon the people of Iran without regard for their desire. Iranians. You have foreign soldiers on your soil.
  7. Visionary Member

Well, that makes sense. :D
    Ha ha ha!
    Glad he pointed that out...cause I could have sworn our buddy Ahamdi was doing something else.
    Good thing he cleared that up.
    ;)

Sad sad sad. :(

Thanks for the updates!
  8. once again, thank you for you commitment to the people of iran -- inside and out of the country. (and to all the individuals who are as dedicated to this site). God bless
  9. "He [Hossein Khomeini] also added that the current constitution and government could not be changed until a post for a spiritual leader as the country’s Supreme Leader existed, adding that spiritual leadership was for the prophet and the 12 Imams – 11 of which are dead and one is believed to be in hiding for more than a millennium."

I understand the part about the Imams, but I don't get what he's saying here.

In the previous sentence he implies there's no legal basis for this government, yet he says that the government's constitution cannot be changed? Or am I not understanding this right?
  10. NiteOwl Member

He's basically implying that bringing about constitutional amendments is only possible if the Supreme Leader is first removed. :)
  11. Thank you NiteOwl. Excellent job as usual!

I saw tha you have already put the link in the mai post. Thanks.

I hope to post asap the translation of your previous green brief (still incomplete).

khodafes
  12. NiteOwl Member

Not at all. Send me an email at dbosca@gmail.com.

I'll add you to the list of people helping with translations. :)
  13. JKShalmani Member

"He [Hossein Khomeini] also added that the current constitution and government could not be changed until a post for a spiritual leader as the country’s Supreme Leader existed..."

I was wondering about this too... could it be that the "until" should be read as an "as long as"?
  14. Thank you so much for all your hard work, NiteOwl!
  15. Visionary Member

Hey, wasn't sure where to ask this, but does anyone know who's giving the prayer today?
    (I'm assuming it will be one of Khamenei's henchmullahs)
    Just curious about what might be said.
  16. NiteOwl Member

Agreed! I changed the wording. :) Thank you!
  17. Caspian Airline’s flight reason for crash.

I've been talking to a few pilots and flight engineers who have knowledge of the tupolev and the state of the Iranian fleet. They've also managed to gather intelligence on the ground of Iran and have come to the following conclusion:

1. A tupolev plane should not be able to crash in the way this happened.

2. A fire in the engine was spotted from ground, and is the initial problem that subsequently lead to the crash.

3. Reports from the ground seem to indicate the pilot tried to force the plane to fly faster, essentially contributing to more devastation than was neccesary. The reason for this is likely that the Pilot tried to find a more suitable emergency landing spot.

4. The plane crashed due to pilot error.

A Tupolev has the ability to glide, and unless a wing has fallen off, which wasn't the case here, it can be safely guided to the ground without much trouble. Landing a plane in rough terrain may cause injuries, but is preferred to a total failure of f.ex. the engines exploding. Essentially the pilot should have: A) Shot off the engine, stopping fuel from reaching the fire and minimizing the extend of damage the fire can cause. B) attempt emergency landing right away. This would have saved most of the passengers.
  18. I'm surprised that someone has spoken out in support fails to grasp what is going on here. The people of Iran made their voices heard, "Foreigners" from all over the world listened & have come out in support (accept perhaps Russia & China). We are not the enemy, we are your Friends! And on July 25th we'll prove it - http://united4iran.org/
  19. Machiavelli Member

Foreigners seems to be be a veiled reference to Hezbollah (from Libanon) and similar types here.
  20. TsuDhoNimh Member

Looking at the videos, and seeing the tactics and weapons of the Basijis ... the death toll from head injuries is going to be high. The number of permanently disabling head injuries is also going to be high.

It doesn't take much of an impact, and those guys are swinging clubs like they are trying out for a baseball team.
  21. Tsu, do you think we should tweet out there for the protesters to wear bike/hockey/football helmets?
  22. That would likely make the basiji strike out much fiercer than before, seeing it as a sign of increasing resistance. They would single out the ones wearing that.
  23. Non-Iranian Supporters of Iran

We non-Iranians want to show our support too for the Iranian fight for freedom and self-rule. How can we do it without hurting Iranians, without adding to the fuel that the freedom movement is instigated by outsiders?
  24. a desert Member

Anything from participating from the forums/sites (such as this one), helping keep Twitter updated with the #iranelection #iran #gr88 #neda tags (and relevant information, of course) or simply spreading the word to others. Even just offering a prayer, if your religion has them, and keeping them in your thoughts means something. On the other hand, there are boycotts, protest marches, letters to send and politicos to inform. The possibilities, such as they are, are endless.
  25. Thank you Nite Owl, your green brief is the best source to keep up with the turmoil in Iran. Good luck in your struggle for AZADI (love that word)
  26. WitteKr Member

In Green Brief #34 NiteOwl wrote: "I am compiling a report on torture and rape of detainees in Iran during the post-election violence. Should be released tonight or tomorrow".

Did I miss it? If so, could someone post the link? Thanks!
    (If not: I don't want to hurry anyone, am just curious... ;))
  27. No, I don't think you missed it, I didn't see it up either. Well it's that or I need more sleep. :)
  28. BigPat7 Member

fwd link: The Death Spiral of the Islamic Republic

Iran news making headlines on Western conservative blogs:

The Death Spiral of the Islamic Republic

And thanks for your fine reporting NiteOwl!

-Pat
  29. JudyBee_FL Member

Blessings to you, NiteOwl. "Thank you" isn't enough for all you provide - I look forward to your updates each day with hope and trepidation. The spirit of the Iranian people lives on - Thank you, Thank you, Thank you for helping us to add our support to the Green Wave of freedom.
  30. HeartForIran Member

Blessings to you, NiteOwl, and to all our freedom-seeking Iranian brothers and sisters.
  31. HeartForIran Member

...and blessings too to all our NON-Iranian freedom-seeking brothers and sisters!:)
  32. did Iran just fall silent?

seems for the last 4 or 5 hours no news or updates out of Iran.
  33. And where have you been these past few weeks when there were lulls in the updates?
  34. JohnDoe Moderator

I learned weeks ago that just because there seemed to be no news or updates out of Iran, just to wait until the Green Brief came out the next morning, and I would be able to read all the stuff that had happened in the 'silence';)
  35. And you know this how? (Unreg thinks wearing helmets is a dumb idea)
  36. its like how the damned basiji are watching for cellphones filming

a way to actually be wearing a helmet and not look suspicious is to appear as if youd just gotten off a motorcycle/bike or something, hell even a hat padded with newspaper under it might work to soften blows