Customize

The Green Brief #40-41 (July 26-27)

Discussion in 'Green Brief' started by NiteOwl, Jul 28, 2009.

1. NiteOwl Member

I'm NiteOwl AKA Josh Shahryar - twitter.com/iran_translator on twitter. I'm a journalist and a human rights activist and NOT Iranian. This is a compilation of news from Iran that I've gathered through twitter and Iranian sites that were advertised on twitter. Remember, this is all from tweets. (My work is released under Creative Commons (CC).)

These are the important happenings that I can positively confirm from Sunday/Monday, July 26/27. (Some reports maybe from the 28th as well)

Protests / Unrest

In Hebrew: http://tinyurl.com/kpljpr

In Italian: http://tinyurl.com/lamtob

In German: http://tinyurl.com/m8uxw2

In Polish: http://bit.ly/19GILV

In Spanish: http://tinyurl.com/lm3baz

1. There are reports that a small gathering of people chanting against the government was held on Tuesday held in retaliation of the government’s decision to ban Mohsen Rohulamini’s funeral ceremony from being public. I can only partially confirm this at this point.

2. Plans are underway to hold a day of silence around the world to commemorate the 40th day of Neda’s death (I’m not sure if this has a lot of backing, but here’s the link: Example Tweets for Thursday 3...). Protests are planned in Iran on that day as well.

3. Basijis are apparently wearing jeans and shaving their beards in order to infiltrate the ranks of protesters.

Opposition

4. Mousavi urged the government to not interfere with the mourning gathering to commemorate Neda’s death. He said he hadn’t planned a speech and only Koran will be recited during the mourning. He, however, declared that the Green Movement will continue. The gathering will be held at Grand Mosala. He added, “How can it be that the leaders of our country do not cry out and shed tears about these tragedies?”

5. Two days ago, Hashemi Rafsanjani stated in a meeting with faculty members of a university in Tehran denied there was a power struggle in the nation. But, in order to resolve the current situation, he said that he still stood by his comments made during his Friday sermon.

6. Ayatollah Montazeri has released a statement that expresses concern over the current state of affairs. He also applauded the efforts made by various people to resolve the current state of turmoil. It has been also confirmed that Ayatollah Montazeri has met with Ayatollah Mousavi Ardabeli and Ayatollah Shabiri Zanjani.

7. Partially confirmed reports suggest that Ayatollah Saneie has announced his intention of attending the mourning rallies of the 40th day of Neda’s death. On Sunday, he also criticized the government’s wide-spread clamp downs on peaceful protesters and called on it to release all detainees. In a letter to Mousavi, Khatami and Karroubi, he also said that the path to attaining peoples’ rights must continue without violence or bloodshed. Ayatollah Mousavi Ardabeli also joined his call for the release of all prisoners and asked the government to halt cruelty against peaceful protesters. It is worth noting that both Ayatollahs' statements come as a response to a letter sent to Iranian Ayatollahs by the reformist leaders, asking for their support.

8. Ayatollah Hassan Zarandi – a member of the Assembly of Experts, representing Kermanshah – has written a letter, supporting Rafsanjani’s Friday sermon.

9. Reformist MP Alikhani has criticized the government’s decision to continue using Russian-made airplanes. He accused the government of treating the lives of Iran’s citizens as worthless.

Government / International

10. It has now been confirmed that the resignation letter of the Minister of Culture has been rejected by Ahmadinejad. So far, only the Minister of Intelligence has been sacked. Reports of the sacking of two other ministers could not be confirmed.

11. It has been confirmed that sacked Intelligence Minister Ejaie has sent a letter to Khamenei criticizing Ahmadinejad rather harshly.

12. Although it had been reported that Ahmadinejad’s inauguration would be held on August 2, new reports suggest that it might have been changed to August 5 and still others claim August 4 to be the day. For now, August 2 seems to remain in effect.

13. MP Hamid Reza Katouzian has stated that Mohsen Rohulamini’s only fault was to oppose Ahmadinejad and called the killing of dissidents by the government ugly and shameful. This is while another MP Ali Motaher – who has sided with reformists in the past weeks – asked Iran’s judiciary to give up the name of Mohsen’s killer.

14. Mohsen Rezaie has thanked judiciary chief Ayatollah Hashemi-Shahroudi for ordering a quick review of the cases of the detainees of the post-vote unrest in Iran.

15. It has been confirmed that besides Intelligence Minister Ejaie, as many as 20 high-ranking officials from that ministry have been sacked. Reports suggest that Ahmadinejad has sacked these officials for their failure to provide concrete evidence that attempts at staging a ‘velvet revolution’ were being made in Iran by foreign powers.

16. As reported in the Green Brief two weeks ago, several prominent Shi’ite clerics are going to make a decision about leaving Iran and settling in Najaf, Iraq. It is expected that the final decision will be made within days.

17. In a meeting held by a committee set up by the reformist camp to investigate the fate of detainees, Ali Larijani – the head of Iran’s Parliament – has asked them to continue their investigation. He has also asked for the release of those detainees who have not committed serious crimes. However, he reiterated that government’s official policy of blaming foreign media outlets for the current unrest in Iran.

Arrests / Released / Killed

18. It has been confirmed that Khamenei has ordered the closure of a single detention center because detainees were being ill-treated there and Iranian laws were broken. Khamenei’s spokesperson – while announcing the Supreme Leader’s decision – said that this had been done to ensure that detainees remain safe from cruelty while in detention. We cannot confirm which prison it is at the moment; however, it seems Khamenei must not be aware of what’s happening at Evin…

19. Famous Iranian actress Pegah Ahangarani has been detained. Partially confirmed reports suggest that prominent feminist, lawyer and human rights activist Shadi Sadr has been released.

(Rest Below)
  2. NiteOwl Member

20. The spokesperson for Iran’s Judiciary has announced that Shahrodi - the director of the Judiciary – ordered that within a week the fate of all prisoners detained after protests started must be determined. He said that some will be released very soon because they might not have committed any serious crimes, but claimed that only 300 remained behind bars. It has also been confirmed that 7 members of parliament went to visit Evin and Rajayi prison to assess the condition of detainees on Monday.

21. The director of Mazandaran province’s detention facilities has told a human rights organization that the provincial prison at Sari held a thousand prisoners – four times more than it could actually hold. He also claimed that up to 60 people were being held at cells designed for 12.

22. Ramin Qahremani – a protester detained for two weeks – has died only two days after being released because of internal and external injuries. He had been extensively tortured and was reportedly hung upside down for extended periods of time while in detention.

23. Faizullah Arab-Sorkhi, Saeed Hajjarian, Behzad Nabavi and Mostafa Tajzadeh, who are all reformists politicians currently in jail and in bad health, have been moved to IRG Hospital #66. It has been reported that they will be questioned by a special team from now on that is being headed by a representative of the Supreme Leader.

24. In more tragic news, the family of a protester who went to a rally in Rasht was recently notified to pick up his body by the authorities of the city. The protester’s brother was asked upon arrival by the authorities to sign a statement, saying that the protester had died because he was suffering from a terminal illness. When he refused, the protester body was not returned.

25. As chants of Allah o Akbar continue throughout the night, security forces are actively hunting people who are taking part in this form of protest. Reportedly, people are being fined hundreds of dollars if caught in the act.

Media

26. Reformist newspaper Sadaye Adalat’s permit has been cancelled by the government.

27. Several state-owned media outlets, mainly Ansar News, IRIB, PressTV and Keyhan have recently started to criticize Ahmadinejad rather harshly. The spate of criticisms started after Ahmadinejad’s appointment of Mashaie as his vice president and the six-day long battle between Ahmadinejad and conservatives to remove him.

(I don’t particularly like Fareed Zakariya but this is just brilliant! )

*Discuss/Annotate: http://aic.openmsl.net/wiki/index.php/Green_Brief_41 ; Create it if it doesn't exist.

**If you wanna republish the Green Brief, please visit this page: For Bloggers, News Sites and Forum who want to republish the Green Brief Plesae Read! - Why We Protest - IRAN

***For Radio Broadcasters: Green Brief Pronounciation Guide - Why We Protest - IRAN

****(A list of all the Green Briefs: The Green Briefs

*****A hearty thanks to Sahar joon for helping me out with proof-reading and very valuable tips. Also, a BIG THANKS to all the translators who're spending their precious time on getting this to as many people as possible.

Read this if you want to help or get help!

Helpers:

A. You can retweet this link and help others know what is going on in Iran.

B. Discuss/Annotate: Green Brief 38 - Anonymous Intelligence Collective

C. Iranmapping: iranmap.whyweprotest.net ; If you would like to help out with compiling all the news stories from Iran in a geo-spatial context for Iranmapping, please follow the instruction over at IranMapping - Anonymous Intelligence Collective

D. The government in Iran is still increasing internet filtering and throttling in an attempt to silence their people. Anonymous info shows that many in Iran are looking for proxy and Tor information in Tehran and all around the country. Please donate your bandwidth to help bring down the Iran Curtain. Here are links on how to help and get help on this:

English:

Tor Browser Bundle

Tor Browser Bundle

Tor Browser Bundle

Tor and the Iranian Election - Bring down the Iran Curtain | Ian's Brain

Farsi:

Tor Browser Bundle

http://tinyurl.com/m6k3a9

Get video torrents and help on Tor here:

Gonzo Times � Torrents List (82 videos)
  3. MahadmaGandhi Member

Great Job, thank you so much.
  4. JohnDoe Moderator

Thanks again Niteowl.

Certainly looks and feels like they are all preparing the way to get rid of Amamadman - are they thinking that will save the regime? Too little too late comes to mind.

Wonder what will happen if the clerics move from Qom?

I just hope you are looking after yourself???:eek:
  5. Thanks as always

Thanks for all you've done. You'll help more in the long run if you get some rest in the short run. Even revolutionaries have to sleep and have time off!!!!!!!!!!!

One of your many grateful followers.

Nancy
  6. a desert Member

Seriously, I keep thinking that the regime could not make me more angry and sick... and then there's stuff like this.
  7. Amazing

NiteOwl,

I don't know how you do this day in and day out. You must utterly exhausted!!

Great work though like always!

Friend of Iran
  8. eyeoniran Member

Thank you so much for all that you do!
  9. Seamyst Member

Thank you so, so much for this and all your work. Know that you are an inspiration to the world!
  10. Huge Thanks & seeking a clarification

As always, your work is so appreciated. Glad to see you're taking care of yourself by taking a break when needed.

Just asking for some clarification on this one point:

"We cannot confirm which prison it is at the moment; however, it seems Khamenei must not be aware of what’s happening at Evin…"

I'm assuming you were being facetious about Khamenei not knowing what's going on at Evin, right?

It looks like he's just trying to throw a dog a bone at this point w/ closing the one facility. Way too little, much too late. The movement is way beyond any small gestures designed to placate, IMHO.

Iran will be free!
  11. Josh,

Thanks again for all of your hard work and dedication to the cause. I've been busily collection and posting links to news stories at Iran News Central as my contribution to the cause.

Thanks again

Whozits
  12. July 30 Moment of Silence

Re, the moment of silence to be held at 11 am and 6:30 pm, local time (whereever you are) on July 30:

The official web site for that is now at: The Silent Wave. The Silent Wave – Be still for Iran on Thursday July 30, 2009

And there is also a Facebook group devoted to the event at:

Login | Facebook

People are being encouraged to hold the moment of silence in a group of people, if possible. Perhaps as part of a "flash mob" in a public location so as to draw a little media attention or something.
  13. Thank you once again NiteOwl
  14. JohnDoe Moderator

Just watched that interview - absolutely brilliant. LOL LOL LOL:D
  15. Thanks for your reports

NiteOwl,
    Your reports are invaluable to many of us and are eagerly looked forward to, however, until you can hire a staff of assistants maybe you should consider a weekly schedule. Perhaps reports on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday and an occasional special edition if or when you feel the need. Our hopes for a better Iran could take a while to be realized but it will happen and I’d like to read it from your “Green Brief”. Please take care of yourself my friend.
  16. Paleene Member

GB and time to recover on a regular basis - very good idea, indeed.
    How about writing a GB every second day only?
  17. Ray Murphy Member

Hey, did anyone ever tell Churchill, McArthur, Rommel or Dayan to take it easy or stick to a timeline? I reckon we should just sit back and wait.
  18. Thank you

Yes, thank you from me also. I look forward to this every day and re-tweet as soon as I see it.
  19. Please get real

LOL you've got to be joking. How many assistants, subordinates and armies did Churchill, McArthur, Rommel or Dayan have to do their biddings? NightOwl is doing this on his own and doing a brilliant job so far, give the guy a break.
  20. Ray Murphy Member

Well that's what I'm sorta saying - just leave it to him entirely.
  21. Thanks, NiteOwl! Your hard work to bring us the Green Brief is very appreciated. Don't feel too bad, you deserve a break!
  22. Visionary Member

Some nice news here, and also about the ayatollahs meeting with Montazeri
    I wonder who it was and what they saw and think about it.

Bastards.
    I hope the time comes soon when these types of things will end in Iran.
  23. You're Amazing

And GB is always worth the wait. We want quality, not quantity. Thanks again.

Pip
  24. sp4rrowh4wk Member

thank you, NiteOwl

and again, thank you, NiteOwl.

the leaders mentioned by Ray Murphy are distinguished from others by many features: dedication, perseverance, the refusal to accept what others think of as obvious, a strong clear voice, the apparent inability to calculate odds, the incredible ability to shoulder heavy burdens for extended periods of time. you are well placed and in good company, NiteOwl my friend.

this smallest of hawks has several scars and other decorations earned in combat. i have some small understanding of leadership and stress, pressure and responsibility, long odds and longer nights, and giving until there is nothing left to give. then finding out you must give some more.

and then more.

and still more.

and again, more.

leaders determine their own pace, speak with their own voice-
    and others follow. it remains the defining feature.
  25. Thank you is not enough. You are the life source. Get sleep and some needed rest, maybe a brief every 2 days is better for your health : )
  26. watsongs2012 Member

Niteowl, Thank you for your tireless efforts. May you stay forever young. Earlier today I saw a message on Twitter indicating that Persiankiwi had been arrested and sentenced to hang. Is this true?
  27. they're going to have to lose some weight, too. the basij i've seen in photos tend to be a little chunky. good luck fitting those jeans.
  28. NiteOwl Member

Absolutely not! :) She's alive and well. That's the last we know about her.
  29. skollie-IRAN Member

Thank you, Night Owl.
  30. Quote:
    Originally Posted by watsongs2012
    Niteowl, Thank you for your tireless efforts. May you stay forever young. Earlier today I saw a message on Twitter indicating that Persiankiwi had been arrested and sentenced to hang. Is this true?
    Absolutely not! She's alive and well. That's the last we know about her.
    ____________________________________________________________________________
    Now, THATS a relief. I'm sure that after all this is over, we will hear much more from her.
    She will probably even be considered a hero. (Such as yourself NiteOwl)

Thank you NiteOwl, for everything you've done. I would never ever be disappointed if you decided to do a GB every other night. I don't think anyone would. So please consider it carefully.

You are the news I can't get on CNN, in my paper, or on any US Newspaper/Site.
  31. Nichol Member

why this sudden 'compassion' from Khamenei?

I'm getting the impression the closed detention centre is being identified with the Kharizak one from the following blog/translation (also read follow-up) of an alleged eye-witness story from one of the released prisoners.

First hand testimonials of a 21 year old iranian protester who was arrested on 18 Tir protests in Tehran and taken to Kahrizak camp Law Of Large Numbers

I am still surprised why Khamenei developped a sudden compassion for the people in one specific detention centre. The story hints that the son of a rather important conservative politician was also taken to the camp in question, and released rather quickly when they found out who he was. Could his family have had important enough strings to pull reach all the way to the Leader? Something in this vein could explain the inexpected dose of compassion.
  32. JKShalmani Member

The very idea of "compassion" is absolutely new to me. I regard it as tactics.. to appease public and international opinion on the Iranian regime. An absolutely helpless and meaningless attempt. The remarks made in this context about "standards" in Iranian prisons rather contributed to exposing the regime more.
  33. Ray Murphy Member

The religious men in Qom will be calling the shots now. That's why things are improving and will continue to improve by the day until things are fixed.
  34. Thank you!

Thank you for your updates!

New support for the Iranian people came from Italian football player Francesco Totti: link to Youtube video below