Customize

The real membership of the Church of Scientology?

Discussion in 'Education, Research and Inside Reports' started by Fermata Forever, Feb 2, 2008.

1. The real membership of the Church of Scientology?

The CoS itself claims 8 million members. I saw a chart somewhere on the internet that showed they only had 55,000 clears, though I don't remember where the cite was. Obviously clears are only a portion of the membership, but I don't think I saw another number.

So, what's the most accurate figure out there of the people that still count themselves as CoS members?
  2. ICanHasThetan Member

Well its like the difference between people who call themselves Catholic but don't attend Church and the loonies who go to five a.m services every day. There are Scientologists who don't follow the Church, but obviously the nature of the cult means that one can't really "not be that dogmatic about it" - you're being programmed. So the Church should probably be able to say how many people it has - they'd have the receipts after all.
  3. Re: The real membership of the Church of Scientology?

Over 10 million members, but that is a fantasy figure, it doesn't relate to anything in the real world. There are a million fairies at the bottom of my garden as well.

Adherents is the normal demographic term, people who answer "Scientology" to the question "What is your religion?" That was 55,000 in the USA in 2001, less than 2,000 in the UK in 2001, 2,000 in Australia, etc.

The best number for media quoting please is 'The Church of Scientology has less than 100,000 active members worldwide'.
  4. rasputin Member

IIRC the higher figures - i.e. from the Church itself - are taken by counting every person who took a personality test, even if it was because they were bored on their lunchbreak and never had anything to do with the church ever again. they may or may not include sales of Dianetics in bookstores also.
  5. Randomness Member

It's fair to say that "Statistical information indicates that there are between 75,000 to 125,000 Scientologists practising within the Church of Scientology"
  6. I think it is both
    i.e. if you take a personality test, that counts as one member
    buy a book too, counts as another member
  7. cookiemonster Member

8. People keep coming up with these ideas, but the truth is this. It is and always was a LIE.

How Scientology "Grew" to 8 Million Members
    by Robert Vaughn Young

http://www.daisy.freeserve.co.uk/stolgy_9.htm
  9. Incredulicide Member

http://www.suburbia.net/~fun/scn/fun/970821-rvy.txt is a working link for that, and I'll quote it in full in case this one goes down:
    To the list of claims from cookiemonster's link we can now add a membership numbers claim from Canadian television:
    1973 CLAIM
    "Nine million Scientologists can deny the allegations you made" - Bryan Levman, President and Assistant Guardian of the CoS in Canada.
    Interview on W5.
    1977 CLAIM
    5,437,000 — number of members given in the 1977 edition of "What Is Scientology?"
    1991 CLAIMS
    "Scientology now boasts of more than 8 million members in 71 countries"
    Reported in the Hemet News 1991 series on Scientology, part 5
    "Scientology has grown in 40 years to encompass 8 million members…"
    Reported in USA Today 8/2/91
    (above figures presumably provided to the press by CoS PR functionaries, but material showing the claim made directly by CoS was not available)
    1992 CLAIM
    "Eight million people, yes, over a period of the last— since 1954." — CoS International President Heber Jentzsch on ABC Nightline, Feb. 14, 1992, answering interviewer Forrest Sawyers's questions "How do you get to call them members?… They took one course, maybe?"
    1994 CLAIMS
    "Currently has between 8 and 10 million members worldwide and is growing very fast" CoS leader David Miscavige to Wolf Lotter from Austrian Profil-Magazine, December 1994
    "This year, as we celebrate the 40th anniversary of the Church of Scientology, our religion spans the globe. Today, nearly 13,000 church staff members minister the religion to some 8 million members, through 2,318 churches, missions and related organizations in 107 countries and in 31 languages. Each year, approximately 500,000 people participate in Scientology services for the first time in one of our churches or missions." — Rev. Heber Jentzsch, CoS Int'l President
    1997 CLAIMS
    "To the eight million parishioners of the Church of Scientology, Scientology is their religion" — (c) 1997 claim at http://web.archive.org/web/20000524...tology.org:80/publi/iht/ihissu07/ihissu07.htm
    "Scientology is an international religion located in more than 120 countries, with 8-million members" — From a rebuttal letter to the St. Petersburg (FL) times entitled "Scientology report continues distortions" by CoS spokesperson "Rev." Brian Anderson, Vice President CoS of Clearwater, 11/8/97
    "If any of the things these people say are true, there would not be 8-million Scientologists in the world today" — CoS Office of Special Affairs (OSA) senior official Mike Rinder commenting on accusations made by former scientologists at a press conference, Dec. '97
  10. Quentinanon Member

"If any of the things these people say are true, there would not be 8-million Scientologists in the world today" — CoS Office of Special Affairs (OSA) senior official Mike Rinder commenting on accusations made by former scientologists at a press conference, Dec. '97

Except everything they said was true and scientology never had even 1% of Rinder's bald-faced lie.