Customize

The Smoking Gun: Trump, The Least Charitable Billionaire

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hushpuppy, Apr 12, 2011.

1. DeathHamster Member

2. DeathHamster Member

3. The Wrong Guy Member

Trump’s extraordinary press conference was not normal | Axios

Quote:

President Trump today, at a press conference with Russian President Vladimir Putin, said he didn't see "any reason" why Russia would interfere in the 2016 election, in response to a question on whether he believed Putin or U.S. intelligence agencies.

Our thought bubble from Jonathan Swan in Helsinki: "I just have no words. As press in this room, we are all sitting in here speechless and stunned. Trump cast doubt over the U.S. intelligence community and endorsed Putin’s denial. Trump was given an opportunity to denounce the meddling and he didn’t; he just pivoted to lines about the missing server and Hillary’s emails. While Putin spoke forcefully, lying, Trump nodded along. There’s no way of sugar coating or spinning this."

Why it matters: This comes just days after Trump's own administration indicted 12 Russians for hacking the DNC with the intent of interfering with the election. The U.S. intelligence community has repeatedly concluded that Russia actively sought to interfere in the election, and plans to again.

When asked if he wanted Trump to win the election, Putin said, "Yes I did. Because he talked about bringing the US-Russia relationship back to normal."

More Key quotes from Trump: He said that the relationship between the U.S. and Russia “has never been worse than it is now. However, that changed as of about four hours ago.”
    • On that deteriorating relationship, Trump said: "I hold both countries responsible. I think the United States has been foolish... I think we've all been foolish. We're all to blame."
    • He called Putin a "good competitor," not an adversary.
    • "I beat Hillary Clinton easily... We won that race. And it's a shame that there can even be a little bit of a cloud over it."
    • "There was no collusion. I didn't know the president. There was nobody to collude with."
    • Trump called the Russia investigation "a disaster for our country."
    • When asked whether he believes the U.S. intelligence community or Putin over what happened in 2016, Trump said "I don't see any reason why it would be [Russia], I really want to see the server." He added, "President Putin was extremely strong in his denial."
    More at https://www.axios.com/putin-claims-...nce-e3e8a4ad-53d1-4c8a-8ed0-5781cdcae7f3.html

Trump finds Putin's denial of election meddling 'powerful' | The Guardian

US president indicates Russian leader’s denial outweighs findings of his own intelligence agents

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...ds-putin-denial-of-election-meddling-powerful

Trump publicly sides with Putin on election interference | POLITICO

The president said he doesn’t ‘see any reason’ why Russia would have wanted to hack Democratic Party servers.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/07/16/trump-russia-putin-summit-722418

Trump, at Putin’s Side, Questions U.S. Intelligence on 2016 Election | The New York Times

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/16/world/europe/trump-putin-election-intelligence.html

Appearing With Putin, Trump Questions Finding of Russian Meddling in U.S. Election | The Wall Street Journal

https://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-blames-u-s-for-poor-relations-with-moscow-1531732220

Putin again denies Russian interference in the 2016 U.S. election; Trump calls probe a ‘disaster for our country’ | The Washington Post

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...7f671c-88c0-11e8-a345-a1bf7847b375_story.html
    • Like Like x 1
  4. The Wrong Guy Member

NPR‏ @NPR 8 minutes ago
    Just in: House Speaker Paul Ryan, R-Wis., said in a statement that "there is no question that Russia interfered in our election and continues attempts to undermine democracy here and around the world."

NPR‏ @NPR 6 minutes ago
    "The president must appreciate that Russia is not our ally," House Speaker Paul Ryan's statement says. "The United States must be focused on holding Russia accountable and putting an end to its vile attacks on democracy."
  5. Disambiguation Global Moderator

He was “Joking”
  6. DeathHamster Member

• Like Like x 2
  7. The United States of America have no President at this moment

donaldtrump.jpg
    • Like Like x 1
  8. The United States of America have no President

Unless Trump sucks Putins Cock
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Disambiguation Global Moderator

“Republican Patriots: Where are you???”
    I have no more words.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Disambiguation Global Moderator

She was still in the US so she got arrested.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/16/us/politics/trump-russia-indictment.html
    The records were unsealed hours after Mr. Trump stood beside Mr. Putin in Helsinki and said that he saw no reason the Russian leader would try to influence the presidential election.
  11. The Wrong Guy Member

NRA-Linked Russian Gun Advocate Charged With Spying on U.S. | The Daily Beast

Quote:

Maria Butina, a National Rifle Association-linked Russian gun advocate residing in the U.S., was arrested and charged Monday with “work[ing] at the direction of a high-level official in the Russian government,” according to a Justice Department press release. The DOJ alleges Butina acted “as an agent of Russia... by developing relationships with U.S. persons and infiltrating organizations having influence in American politics, for the purpose of advancing the interests of the Russian Federation.”

Other outlets, like The New Republic, profiled Butina’s pro-gun crusade in Russia and her relationship with former Russian central banker and politician Alexander Torshin as early as 2012. But The Daily Beast was the first to report on Butina’s private claims to have worked on behalf of the Russian government to build a backchannel between Moscow and the Trump campaign. Butina and Torshin are both lifetime members of the NRA, and she also attended the annual NRA Women’s Leadership Luncheon in 2014.

The Justice Department noted that Butina’s connection to an individual working at the Russian Central Bank and sanctioned in April 2018 went on from as early as 2015 to February 2017. Torshin was sanctioned by the Treasury Department in April of this year.

Read it at Justice Department

Source: https://www.thedailybeast.com/nra-linked-russian-gun-advocate-charged-with-spying-on-us

Russia-NRA Arrest: This Is as Close as It Gets to Collusion | The Daily Beast

For all the indictments, arrests, and guilty pleas in the far-flung investigation into Russian influence, none has come close to alleging collusion. Until Maria Butina was nabbed.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/russia-nra-arrest-this-is-as-close-as-it-gets-to-collusion
  12. The Wrong Guy Member

Trump On Russia's Election Meddling: 'We're All To Blame' | The Late Show with Stephen Colbert

Donald Trump was a few feet away from the man who orchestrated an attack on American democracy. So, of course, he confronted Hillary Clinton.

Trump's Summit with Putin: A Closer Look | Late Night with Seth Meyers

Seth takes a closer look at President Trump meeting Russian President Vladimir Putin in Finland and delivering one of the most surreal performances by a president in modern American history.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. DeathHamster Member

• Like Like x 3
  14. DeathHamster Member

• Like Like x 1
  15. Comrade Trump Member

I see many, many good things written here about me .
  16. Comrade Trump Member

As you are all aware there is much said about me by the media and all of it is fake news especially the parts about my friend Vladdy. There has been no collision between us on anything , although it has become very very clear to me he likes to ride bareback.
  17. Disambiguation Global Moderator

tick-tock-motherfucker.jpg
  18. Comrade Trump Member

Not many people know that I'm sometimes referred to as Teflon Don.
  19. Disambiguation Global Moderator

Or Donald Donaldson, Robert Robertson
    David Dennison
  20. Comrade Trump Member

My very ,very good friend Vladdy calls me his big soft teddy bear.
  21. 18tpgi.jpg?fit=500%2C682.jpg

Attached Files:

22. I once posted on Marty Rathbun's blog that the Trump Administration was going to be "Scientology on Steroids"

I am a prophet it seems.
    • Like Like x 1
  23. Nobody believes Trump, Republicans are just using him to get America back into the Dark Age

c0d395ec20bcf92c43d715dbfd1fe122.jpg
    • Like Like x 1
  24. The Wrong Guy Member

Trump Tanks His Own Putin Walk-Back During One of the ‘Worst Moments of His Presidency’

If Trump’s explanation for why he botched his Putin press conference didn’t sound believable, there was a reason — even he didn’t buy it.

By Lachlan Markay and Asawin Suebsaeng, The Daily Beast, July 17, 2018

Quote:

It was approaching mid-morning on Tuesday, and Donald Trump’s team had one choice: He had to clean up the mess he had left for them following his disastrous press conference abroad. If they had to beg, so be it.

It was a colossal blunder that many officials on Team Trump were deeply aggravated by, if not furious over, though few would do much to confront their mercurial, notoriously stubborn boss.

“[The president] is usually a shoot from the hip and talk from the top of his head kind of guy,” said a senior Trump administration official who works on issues surrounding Russian disinformation efforts. “I think he was more truthful yesterday than today and is capitulating to an angry caucus.” But, the official predicted, “people aren’t going to forget about this. It will be in the top-three worst moments of his presidency.”

The frenzy began Monday afternoon, as President Trump’s staff was already in full-throttle damage control mode, gaming out well into the next day how the president and his team would patch things up after the fiasco in Helsinki.

According to two people familiar with the day’s events, the president was still absorbing well into Tuesday much of the brutal coverage and commentators’ assessments of the Trump-Putin joint press conference and was visibly annoyed at the near-uniformity of stunningly negative media reactions to his performance.

He stewed and dug in his heels for hours, resenting that he was widely portrayed as “weak” and having been “played” by Russian President Vladimir Putin, and that he wasn’t getting the kudos he felt he deserved.

Even some of his favorites on Fox News, often such a reliable pro-Trump partner, had panned him.

“Hint: Don’t use ‘strong and powerful’ to describe Putin’s denial re. election meddling,” Laura Ingraham — a Fox News host and top Trump ally who even interviewed during the presidential transition to be his White House press secretary — tweeted on Monday. “Use words ‘predictable and damaging to US-Russian relations’ to describe Russian meddling.”

On her show that evening, she underscored such criticism of Trump’s approach, as did her guest Matt Schlapp, a prominent Trump surrogate and American Conservative Union chairman, who said, diplomatically, that the president “had some errant answers... [some of which] uncoupled from his own tough policy.”

And it was hardly the only sub-glowing critique from Trump-aligned media personalities in the wake of the press conference. And the trend has gotten under the president’s skin, as bad press so often does.

“While I had a great meeting with NATO, raising vast amounts of money, I had an even better meeting with Vladimir Putin of Russia. Sadly, it is not being reported that way - the Fake News is going Crazy!” Trump tweeted on Tuesday morning.

Still, the president’s senior ranks were busy into Tuesday afternoon playing damage control and counseling Trump to do the same. It all culminated in the drafting of a carefully scripted walk-back, to be delivered by the president on Tuesday afternoon, in front of reporters and TV cameras.

As is typical with this president, he still could not help himself from ad-libbing and going off-message by walking back key parts of his West Wing’s stage-managed walk-back.

Trump spoke from the White House Cabinet room, reading from prepared remarks that included a handwritten — and misspelled — note in the margins: “THERE WAS NO COLUSION.”

“I have full faith in our intelligence agencies,” Trump stated. “I accept our intelligence community conclusion that Russia’s meddling in the 2016 election took place.”

The president said he’d misspoken on Monday, when, at the Helsinki presser with Putin, he once again cast doubt on the findings of his own intelligence officials’ conclusions. “I don’t see any reason why it would be” Russian government actors who hacked the Democratic National Committee, the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee, and the Hillary Clinton presidential campaign, he had said.

“The sentence should’ve been, ‘I don’t see any reason why it wouldn’t be Russia,’” Trump tried spinning on Tuesday. “Sort of a double negative,” he said, at least somewhat self-aware.

It was the crisis-comms equivalent of snapping his fingers in front of a press pool and suddenly declaring Monday “Opposite Day.”

Following the president’s remarks, White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders told The Daily Beast that she had “nothing to add” to his statements. “As always, they are the president[’s] words,” she wrote back, after being asked who was responsible for drafting the prepared remarks.

Still, someone appeared to have made some notable last-minute edits to those words, such as crossing out an incomplete sentence in his remarks that read, “Anyone involved in that meddling to justice,” [sic] according to a photo of the remarks posted by The New York Times.

Those remarks also do not appear to contain a qualifier that Trump added after his public concession that Russia did, in fact, seek to sway the 2016 election. “It could be other people also. There’s a lot of people out there,” Trump said, in an apparent departure from the prepared version of his comments.

And it was a departure made by a man caught between the demands of the self-inflicted public-relations catastrophe of the moment and his instinct never to back down and never to give the adversarial press and his political enemies a scalp.

Sure enough, following Trump’s attempt at repairing the political damage caused by his conduct overseas, cable news lit up with talking heads and journalists weighing in on how the president who brands himself the ultimate counterpuncher had just been forced into a corner and forced to back down, at least superficially.

By Tuesday evening, as Trump retreated to the residence, it became increasingly clear that — even after participating in a painfully staged attempt at clarification from the White House — he would not be getting the credit and plaudits from the media to which he feels entitled.

“[He’s] going to hate this,” a West Wing official bluntly assessed Tuesday afternoon, predicting yet more fuming and rage-tweeting over this in the coming days, if not hours.

Sure enough, at 8:21 p.m. ET, Trump tweeted, “The meeting between President Putin and myself was a great success, except in the Fake News Media!”

Source: https://www.thedailybeast.com/trump...ng-one-of-the-worst-moments-of-his-presidency
    • Like Like x 1
  25. https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/jul/18/summit-critics-trump-derangement-syndrome-putin
    Summit critics have Trump derangement syndrome – says Trump | US news
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-44870835
    Trump Putin: US president defends meeting and press conferencehttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trump_Derangement_Syndrome
    Trump Derangement Syndrome - Wikipedia
    https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Trump Derangement Syndrome
    Urban Dictionary: Trump Derangement Syndrome
    https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/trump-derangement-syndrome
    Trump Derangement Syndrome | Know Your Meme

That explains everything .
  26. Disambiguation Global Moderator

27. Disambiguation Global Moderator

28. The Wrong Guy Member

Republicans Fall in Line After Trump-Putin Summit: A Closer Look | Late Night with Seth Meyers

Seth takes a closer look at Republicans falling in line after President Trump's absurd explanation for his comments on Russian election meddling.
  29. The Wrong Guy Member

From the Start, Trump Has Muddied a Clear Message: Putin Interfered

By David E. Sanger and Matthew Rosenberg, The New York Times, July 18, 2018

Quote:

Two weeks before his inauguration, Donald J. Trump was shown highly classified intelligence indicating that President Vladimir V. Putin of Russia had personally ordered complex cyberattacks to sway the 2016 American election.

The evidence included texts and emails from Russian military officers and information gleaned from a top-secret source close to Mr. Putin, who had described to the C.I.A. how the Kremlin decided to execute its campaign of hacking and disinformation.

Mr. Trump sounded grudgingly convinced, according to several people who attended the intelligence briefing. But ever since, Mr. Trump has tried to cloud the very clear findings that he received on Jan. 6, 2017, which his own intelligence leaders have unanimously endorsed.

The shifting narrative underscores the degree to which Mr. Trump regularly picks and chooses intelligence to suit his political purposes. That has never been more clear than this week.

On Monday, standing next to the Russian president in Helsinki, Finland, Mr. Trump said he accepted Mr. Putin’s denial of Russian election intrusions. By Tuesday, faced with a bipartisan political outcry, Mr. Trump sought to walk back his words and sided with his intelligence agencies.

On Wednesday, when a reporter asked, “Is Russia still targeting the U.S.?” Mr. Trump shot back, “No” — directly contradicting statements made only days earlier by his director of national intelligence, Dan Coats, who was sitting a few chairs away in the Cabinet Room. (The White House later said he was responding to a different question.)

Hours later, in a CBS News interview, Mr. Trump seemed to reverse course again. He blamed Mr. Putin personally, but only indirectly, for the election interference by Russia, “because he’s in charge of the country.”

In the run-up to this week’s ducking and weaving, Mr. Trump has done all he can to suggest other possible explanations for the hacks into the American political system. His fear, according to one of his closest aides who spoke on the condition of anonymity, is that any admission of even an unsuccessful Russian attempt to influence the 2016 vote raises questions about the legitimacy of his presidency.

The Jan. 6, 2017, meeting, held at Trump Tower, was a prime example. He was briefed that day by John O. Brennan, the C.I.A. director; James R. Clapper Jr., the director of national intelligence; and Adm. Michael S. Rogers, the director of the National Security Agency and the commander of United States Cyber Command.

The F.B.I. director, James B. Comey, was also there; after the formal briefing, he privately told Mr. Trump about the “Steele dossier.” That report, by a former British intelligence officer, included uncorroborated salacious stories of Mr. Trump’s activities during a visit to Moscow, which he denied.

According to nearly a dozen people who either attended the meeting with the president-elect or were later briefed on it, the four primary intelligence officials described the streams of intelligence that convinced them of Mr. Putin’s role in the election interference.

They included stolen emails from the Democratic National Committee that had been seen in Russian military intelligence networks by the British, Dutch and American intelligence services. Officers of the Russian intelligence agency formerly known as the G.R.U. had plotted with groups like WikiLeaks on how to release the email stash.

And ultimately, several human sources had confirmed Mr. Putin’s own role.

That included one particularly valuable source, who was considered so sensitive that Mr. Brennan had declined to refer to it in any way in the Presidential Daily Brief during the final months of the Obama administration, as the Russia investigation intensified.

Instead, to keep the information from being shared widely, Mr. Brennan sent reports from the source to Mr. Obama and a small group of top national security aides in a separate, white envelope to assure its security.

Mr. Trump and his aides were also given other reasons during the briefing to believe that Russia was behind the D.N.C. hacks.

The same Russian groups had been involved in cyberattacks on the State Department and White House unclassified email systems in 2014 and 2015, and in an attack on the Joint Chiefs of Staff. They had aggressively fought the N.S.A. against being ejected from the White House system, engaging in what the deputy director of the agency later called “hand-to-hand combat” to dig in.

The pattern of the D.N.C. hacks, and the theft of emails from John D. Podesta, Hillary Clinton’s campaign chairman, fit the same pattern.

After the briefings, Mr. Trump issued a statement later that day that sought to spread the blame for the meddling. He said “Russia, China and other countries, outside groups and countries” were launching cyberattacks against American government, businesses and political organizations — including the D.N.C.

Still, Mr. Trump said in his statement, “there was absolutely no effect on the outcome of the election.”

Mr. Brennan later told Congress that he had no doubt where the attacks were coming from.

“I was convinced in the summer that the Russians were trying to interfere in the election,” he said in testimony in May 2017. “And they were very aggressive.”

For Mr. Trump, the messengers were as much a part of the problem as the message they delivered.

Mr. Brennan and Mr. Clapper were both Obama administration appointees who left the government the day Mr. Trump was inaugurated. The new president soon took to portraying them as political hacks who had warped the intelligence to provide Democrats with an excuse for Mrs. Clinton’s loss in the election.

Mr. Comey fared little better. He was fired in May 2017 after refusing to pledge his loyalty to Mr. Trump and pushing forward on the federal investigation into whether the Trump campaign had cooperated with Russia’s election interference.

Only Admiral Rogers, who retired this past May, was extended in office by Mr. Trump. (He, too, told Congress that he thought the evidence of Russian interference was incontrovertible.)

And the evidence suggests Russia continues to be very aggressive in its meddling.

In March, the Department of Homeland Security declared that Russia wastargeting the American electric power grid, continuing to riddle it with malware that could be used to manipulate or shut down critical control systems. Intelligence officials have described it to Congress as a chief threat to American security.

Just last week, Mr. Coats said that current cyberthreats were “blinking red” and called Russia the “most aggressive foreign actor, no question.”

“And they continue their efforts to undermine our democracy,” he said.

Christopher A. Wray, the F.B.I. director, also stood firm.

“The intelligence community’s assessment has not changed,” Mr. Wray said on Wednesday at the Aspen Security Forum. “My view has not changed, which is that Russia attempted to interfere with the last election and continues to engage in malign influence operations to this day.”

The Russian efforts are “aimed at sowing discord and divisiveness in this country,” he continued. “We haven’t yet seen an effort to target specific election infrastructure this time. We could be just a moment away from the next level.”

“It’s a threat we need to take extremely seriously and respond to with fierce determination and focus.”

Almost as soon as he took office, Mr. Trump began casting doubts on the intelligence on Russia’s election interference, though never taking issue with its specifics.

He dismissed it broadly as a fabrication by Democrats and part of a “witch hunt” against him. He raised unrelated issues, including the state of investigations into Mrs. Clinton’s home computer server, to distract attention from the central question of Russia’s role — and who, if anyone, in Mr. Trump’s immediate orbit may have worked with them.

In July 2017, just after meeting Mr. Putin for the first time, Mr. Trump told a New York Times reporter that the Russian president had made a persuasive case that Moscow’s cyberskills were so good that the government’s hackers would never have been caught. Therefore, Mr. Trump recounted from his conversation with Mr. Putin, Russia must not have been responsible.

Since then, Mr. Trump has routinely disparaged the intelligence about the Russian election interference. Under public pressure — as he was after his statements in Helsinki on Monday — he has periodically retreated. But even then, he has expressed confidence in his intelligence briefers, not in the content of their findings.

That is what happened again this week, twice.

Mr. Trump’s statement in Helsinki led Mr. Coats to reaffirm, in a statement he deliberately did not get cleared at the White House, that American intelligence agencies had no doubt that Russia was behind the 2016 hack.

That contributed to Mr. Trump’s decision on Tuesday to say that he had misspoken one word, and that he did believe Russia had interfered — although he also veered off script to declare: “Could be other people also. A lot of people out there.”

Source: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/18/world/europe/trump-intelligence-russian-election-meddling-.html
  30. The Wrong Guy Member

Search 'idiot', get Trump: how activists are manipulating Google Images | The Guardian

The first page of search results has become the frontline in petty internet protests against Donald Trump

Excerpt:

When you type the word “idiot” into Google’s image search, Trump is the first returned result. This is partly because the Green Day song American Idiot was used by protesters to soundtrack his trip to London. But since then there’s also been a concerted campaign to capitalize on that association, and manipulate Google’s algorithm, by linking the word to the picture. Mostly this involved people upvoting a post containing a photo of him and the word “idiot” on Reddit.

More at https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/jul/17/trump-idiot-google-images-search

https://www.google.com/search?q=idiot

https://www.google.com/search?q=idiot&tbm=isch

• Like Like x 1
  31. Disambiguation Global Moderator

Google image search “idiot” you will be happy
  32. Disambiguation Global Moderator

33. Disambiguation Global Moderator

34. The Wrong Guy Member

New York just escalated its legal battle with Trump | Business Insider
    • Democratic Gov. Andrew Cuomo of New York has escalated the state's legal battle with President Donald Trump and the Trump Foundation.
    • Cuomo opened the door to a possible criminal case against the foundation.
    • Acting New York Attorney General Barbara Underwood filed a civil suit in June against Trump, his three eldest children, and the charity.
    Quote:

Democratic Gov. Andrew Cuomo of New York has escalated the state's legal battle with President Donald Trump and the Trump Foundation, opening the door to a potential criminal case against the nonprofit.

"At Gov. Cuomo's direction, the state stands ready to provide the [New York] Attorney General with the appropriate criminal referral on this matter if and when she asks for it," Alphonso David, the governor's counsel, said in a statement Wednesday.

Acting New York Attorney General Barbara Underwood filed a civil lawsuit in June against Trump, his three eldest children — Donald Jr., Ivanka, and Eric — and the charity, alleging that Trump followed "a pattern of persistent illegal conduct" for more than a decade.

The lawsuit accused the foundation of engaging in illegal political coordination with Trump's campaign, making multiple self-dealing transactions to benefit Trump and his business interests, and violating legal obligations for such nonprofits in New York.

Underwood is seeking $2.8 million in restitution plus additional penalties, as well as the dissolving of the Trump Foundation under court supervision. The suit seeks to bar Trump from running a New York nonprofit for the next decade, while instituting a one-year ban for his three eldest children.

Trump has already paid more than $330,000 in reimbursements and penalty taxes, Underwood said in the suit.

Underwood also sent referral letters to the IRS and the Federal Election Commission identifying possible violations of federal law for the agencies to investigate.

Meanwhile, The New York Times reported Wednesday that the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance opened an investigation into the charity that could lead to a criminal referral, two state officials familiar with the probe told the publication.

A criminal inquiry, The Times reported, could reveal more information than the civil suit, such as Trump's tax returns.

Continued at http://www.businessinsider.com/trump-foundation-criminal-investigation-andrew-cuomo-2018-7