Customize

The Smoking Gun: Trump, The Least Charitable Billionaire

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hushpuppy, Apr 12, 2011.

1. The Wrong Guy Member

Donald Trump Admits He Gets Confused and Makes Things Up After Watching Fox News

By Robert Mackey, The Intercept

Donald Trump admitted on Friday that a story he has been telling audiences at rallies on Wednesday and Thursday — that he had seen a video shot and distributed by the Iranian government showing the world a “top-secret” American shipment of cash arriving in Iran — is completely false.

<snipped>

Given the very large number of things that Trump has said that are not true but has refused to stop repeating on the campaign trail — like that he watched on September 11, 2001 as “thousands and thousands” of American Muslims in New Jersey celebrated the collapse of the World Trade Center — it was somewhat startling that he admitted that he was wrong about the video he had first described to supporters in Florida.

More here:
    https://theintercept.com/2016/08/05/donald-trump-admits-doesnt-understand-sees-television/
  2. The Wrong Guy Member

What is Donald Trump's connection to Vladimir Putin? | The Briefing

The Briefing, August 5, 2016
  3. [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    The boys are hunting again!
    ". Their media silence could very well be just mean they’re on a needed vacation. But it could also be a way to dodge the uncomfortable subject of the Trump sons’ well-documented love of hunting — a subject that stalks them on social media like one of the very large predators they have killed for sport"
  4. The Wrong Guy Member

5. 3. I feel your pain here in—wherever you are. That rally with the baby was in Ashburn, Virginia, a DC suburb that is one of the richest tech-and-defense-areas not just in the state but in the whole country. In his speech Trump went on a litany of how Ashburn had been devastated by factory closures—mentioning factories hours away at the other end of the state or in other states altogether. This is more or less like giving a speech in Palo Alto and imagining that you are addressing drought-stricken farmers and migrant laborers in Merced. Betsy Woodruff has the delicious details here.

Obvious-but-worth-making point: if you have any experience in politics, the incompetence behind such a performance is almost impossible to comprehend. I could write six more paragraphs but I’ll just say: it’s like a junior high-school drama club appearing on Broadway. (Or, to use an Ashburn-specific reference: it's like Coach Jim Zorn’s famous “swinging gate” play.)
  6. wtw

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  7. The Wrong Guy Member

This is from Rod Keller:

Top Scientology donor and Flag Public Patrick Clouden is endorsing Donald Trump for President, partly because in 2001 the Donald Trump Foundation donated $1,000 to Scientology’s New York Rescue Workers Fund, which used the Purification Rundown to allegedly help 9/11 first responders rid themselves of toxins accumulated in their fatty tissues from the incident.

Keller23p10.jpg

Source:
    http://tonyortega.org/2016/08/07/sc...as-found-a-new-way-to-target-kids-in-florida/
  8. Mann Ace Member

I simply pointed out your blind spot about the religious nature of the Democratic Party, where belief trumps reality.
    There was a man who denied what science said. He was told by 100% of his colleagues that he was wrong. He persisted, and showed that bacteria produce ulcers. He denied the consensus, and advanced medical science. Go figure.
    http://discovermagazine.com/2010/mar/07-dr-drank-broth-gave-ulcer-solved-medical-mystery

I like precision in language, so I'd like to understand your parsing of the term 'denier', in order to avoid being called names.

If I deny that climate change is a problem, am I a climate denier? What would it take for you to call me a science denier? Is there a difference, or if I deny climate change, does that mean I'm denying science?

Please be specific and show your work. Thanks.
  9. DeathHamster Member

http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?TheyLaughedAtEinstein

"They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown."
    Carl Sagan
  10. Mann Ace Member

George and Ira Gershwin
  11. http://www.thewrap.com/donald-trump-campaign-brexit-move/

12. The Internet Member

Science reporting is usually terrible and the article you link to is no exception. Bad journalists like to tart up stories with extra drama, like "brave maverick proves everybody wrong."

In reality, the doctor researching ulcers did not deny science. He did good scientific work resulting in evidence others could examine and corroborate. His work was added to our existing understanding of ulcers. Doctors now use antibiotics for ulcers for a time. But they also use drugs that decrease stomach acid just as before.

Deniers do not do scientific work resulting in evidence for others to examine typically. Or if they do, their evidence is crappy.
  13. DeathHamster Member

14. mojo Member

15. Mann Ace Member

Whoosh....
    Since you won't give me an example, let me ask you:

Is Judith Curry a climate denier? Yes or no?

Am I a climate denier for saying that there is no threat from climate change? Yes or no

Is John Cook a scientist? Yes or no

I'd appreciate an answer.
  16. The Internet Member

Anyone who denies the weight of scientific evidence on some matter is a science denier.

To prove someone is a science denier, I would need to find an example of that person saying, "the scientific evidence we have does not strongly support the idea of AGW," or something like that.

When Trump says he is worried that vaccines cause autism, he is a science denier. When Clinton says functional medicine is a promising answer to chronic disease, she is a science denier.
  17. The Wrong Guy Member

50 G.O.P. Officials Warn Donald Trump Would Put Nation’s Security ‘at Risk’ | The New York Times

Quote:

Fifty of the nation’s most senior Republican national security officials, many of them former top aides or cabinet members for President George W. Bush, have signed a letter declaring that Donald J. Trump “lacks the character, values and experience” to be president and “would put at risk our country’s national security and well-being.”

Mr. Trump, the officials warn, “would be the most reckless president in American history.”

The letter says Mr. Trump would weaken the United States’ moral authority and questions his knowledge of and belief in the Constitution. It says he has “demonstrated repeatedly that he has little understanding” of the nation’s “vital national interests, its complex diplomatic challenges, its indispensable alliances and the democratic values” on which American policy should be based. And it laments that “Mr. Trump has shown no interest in educating himself.”

“None of us will vote for Donald Trump,” the letter states, though it notes later that many Americans “have doubts about Hillary Clinton, as do many of us.”

Among the most prominent signatories are Michael V. Hayden, a former director of both the C.I.A. and the National Security Agency; John D. Negroponte, who served as the first director of national intelligence and then deputy secretary of state; and Robert B. Zoellick, another former deputy secretary of state, United States trade representive and, until 2012, president of the World Bank. Two former secretaries of homeland security, Tom Ridge and Michael Chertoff, also signed, as did Eric S. Edelman, who served as Vice President Dick Cheney’s national security adviser and as a top aide to Robert M. Gates when he was secretary of defense.

Robert Blackwill and James Jeffrey, two key strategists in Mr. Bush’s National Security Council, and William H. Taft IV, a former deputy secretary of defense and ambassador to NATO, also signed.

The letter underscores the continuing rupture in the Republican Party, but particularly within its national security establishment. Many of those signing it had declined to add their names to a similar open letter released in March. But a number said in recent interviews that they changed their minds once they heard Mr. Trump invite Russia to hack into Mrs. Clinton’s email server — a sarcastic remark, he said later — and say that he would check to see how much NATO members contributed to the alliance before sending forces to help stave off a Russian attack.

Continued here:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/09/us/politics/national-security-gop-donald-trump.html

Holy Fuck, 50 Republican National Security Officials Just Came Out Against Donald Trump | The Daily Banter

http://thedailybanter.com/2016/08/holy-fck-50-republicans-against-donald-trump/
    • Like Like x 1
  18. The Internet Member

Hey that is what happened to me! I am no shrink but when I saw Trump asking Putin to get Hillary's deleted emails and release them to the world, I said, "Whoa that is fucking nuts!"

Seeing many smart people having the same reaction makes me feel so validated. Up until now I was disappoint the WTF was not huge like I expected.

"Sarcasm" is a herp attempt to hide obvious derp.
  19. Look, they are photo shopping crowsd into their pictures just like Scientologists do for Hillary to make it look like lots of people are there but it is a lie.

Media Photoshops Crowd Image For Hillary Clinton St. Petersburg, Florida Speech…

Posted on August 8, 2016 by sundance
    Remember the discussions of “optics” and trying to manufacture the perception of support for Hillary Clinton? It’s all a pretense; a fraud; a corporate media ruse.
    Well, a great example comes today from “The Hill”, an on-line media outlet promoting the speech of candidate Clinton. Notice anything, well, odd’ about the picture:
    [IMG]
    It’s a 100% photoshopped image (link) assembling multiple rally crowd pictures to give the impression of Hillary Clinton in St. Petersburg.
    Hillary is holding a rally at the St. Pete Colliseum in down town St. Petersburg. Located at 353 4th Ave North, the Coliseum venue holds approximately 4,000 people. Hillary Clinton didn’t come close to filling it:
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

A couple of hundred people showed up [door count puts the number at 171] within a St. Petersburg venue capable of holding in excess of 4,000 without seating (link).
    But the media,… well, in the land of make believe, they just can’t help but manufacture the optics because the same media are selling an entirely different story with their polling:
    [IMG]
    At this point, the action of the media is beyond ridiculous. Some in the media even note their own embarrassing behavior:
    […] Polls shows that journalism is one of the least respected professions in the country, and with Trump calling out media organizations for their bias, widespread slanted reporting is bound to reinforce this point — and to backfire.

Trump’s campaign is throwing down the gauntlet to the political class. If journalists are seen as the mouthpiece of that class, they may soon find themselves covering Trump’s inauguration. (link)
    [IMG]
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  20. [IMG]
  21. The Internet Member

That crowd pic is of Hillary in Manhattan after winning the NY primary back in April. Lern2GoogleImageSearch.
    • Like Like x 1
  22. DeathHamster Member

Wireless was okay, but Marconi was a phony.
  23. Orlando Nightclub Shooter's Father Attends Clinton Rally

Orlando Terrorist’s Father Cheers at Hillary Clinton Rally; Calls For Gun Control

[IMG]
    by Charlie Spiering 9 Aug 2016

Seddique Mateen, the father of the Orlando nightclub shooter, attended a Hillary Clinton rally in Kissimmee, Florida, placing himself prominently behind the presidential candidate as she spoke to supporters.

Mateen was visible in the backdrop of Clinton’s speech as she paid tribute to the police officers and victims of the shooting.
    A WPTV reporter recognized Mateen and interviewed him after the event.
    “It’s a Democratic party so everybody can enjoy,” he said, when asked why he decided to attend the rally. “Why should they be surprised, I love the United States.”
    It is unclear whether the Clinton campaign was aware of Mateen’s presence, and have yet to give a statement about the incident to WPTV.
    Clinton paid tribute to the victims of the shooting during her rally.
    I just have to tell you how grateful I am for the leadership and the people of Orlando and Central Florida for your love and compassion. And I know how many people, loved ones and friends, are still grieving. And I want them to know that we will be with you. We will be with you as you rebuild your lives, as you rebuild hope for the future, because we can’t ever let that kind of hatred and violence break the spirit, break the soul, of any place in America.
    When reporters asked Mateen why he supported Clinton, he replied, “Hillary Clinton is good for United States versus Donald Trump, who has no solutions.
    He showed reporters a sign he made in support of Clinton, calling for more gun control laws.
  24. DeathHamster Member

I could say that he needed birth control more than gun control, but that would be cruel, so I won't.
    • Like Like x 2
  25. The Internet Member

Derail. Nothing to do with Trump. But maybe the derailer thinks Trump will nuke that kid. I dunno.
  26. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 1
  27. https://mobile.twitter.com/elizabethforma/status/763130669606309892?ref_src=twsrc^tfw
    ".@realDonaldTrump makes death threats because he's a pathetic coward who can’t handle the fact that he’s losing to a girl."

Trump slyly suggests gun nuts assassinate Clinton
    http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/09/politics/donald-trump-hillary-clinton-second-amendment/
    "Hillary wants to abolish -- essentially abolish the Second Amendment. By the way, if she gets to pick, if she gets to pick her judges, nothing you can do, folks. Although the Second Amendment people, maybe there is, I don't know," Trump said.

The former head of the CIA, retired Gen. Michael Hayden, told CNN's Jake Tapper: "If someone else had said that said outside the hall, he'd be in the back of a police wagon now with the Secret Service questioning him."
  28. The reason we need to see Trump's taxes.
    "I am not a crook"
    http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/06/o...t&contentID=WhatsNext&src=recg&pgtype=article
    "There the story stalled until Oct. 3, 1973, when Jack White, a 31-year-old suburban reporter for The Providence Journal-Bulletin, broke the biggest story of his career. While big-time reporters prowled Washington for details about President Nixon’s taxes, White covered small-town politics and high-society events as manager of his paper’s bureau in Newport, R.I. But White, rumpled and easygoing, had a knack for earning the trust of sources. One source provided him with evidence that Nixon had paid taxes of only $792.81 in 1970 and $878.03 in 1971, despite having income exceeding $400,000.

By donating his papers with a backdated deed, Nixon had slashed his tax bill drastically. He paid the equivalent of a family of three earning about $8,000."

"After White’s article was published, demands rose for full disclosure. The next month, White’s colleague at the Providence paper, Joseph Ungaro, asked Nixon about his taxes during his appearance at a newspaper editors’ conference in Florida. Nixon replied: “I welcome this kind of examination, because people have got to know whether or not their president is a crook. Well, I am not a crook.”

No single comment would stick more firmly to Nixon. It had never before been necessary for a president to distinguish himself from ordinary tax cheats. Yet still he wouldn’t release his taxes."
  29. "Stochastic terrorism, as described by a blogger who summarized the concept several years back, means using language and other forms of communication "to incite random actors to carry out violent or terrorist acts that are statistically predictable but individually unpredictable."
    Let's break that down in the context of what Trump said. Predicting any one particular individual following his call to use violence against Clinton or her judges is statistically impossible. But we can predict that there could be a presently unknown lone wolf who hears his call and takes action in the future.
    Stated differently: Trump puts out the dog whistle knowing that some dog will hear it, even though he doesn't know which dog."
  30. DeathHamster Member

It's more like a stealth tuba from that quarter.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/06/16/sharron-angle-floated-2nd_n_614003.html
    http://ontheslowtrain.blogspot.ca/2011/01/sarah-palin-and-second-amendment.html
    Trump's just a sponge in a big pool of crazy. The Trump machine gathers up all the fringe Republican and fascist road-kill and throws it into the Juice Weasel for Trump to drink down and twit out.
  31. Survivors react to father of Pulse shooter at Clinton Kissimmee rally

Survivor at rally 'let down' at Omar Mateen's father attending

By Nadeen Yanes - Reporter
    Posted: 6:03 PM, August 09, 2016Updated: 9:21 PM, August 09, 2016

KISSIMMEE, Fla. - Pulse survivors Jacobi Ceballo and Christopher Hansen had no idea they were in the same room as the father of shooter Omar Mateen until hours after a Monday rally for Hillary Clinton ended in Kissimmee.
    "I opened up my Facebook and it was the first thing I saw," Hansen said. "I was like, 'Oh!'"
    But Ceballo wasn't only surprised, he was angry.
    "I'm outraged," he said. "For him to come back to Orlando, where his son created devastation, was also mind-blowing. If I would have known that, I would have not come."
    Ceballo attended the rally as a "plus one" guest with Hansen, who was contacted and invited by someone whom he presumed was from the Clinton campaign. Afterward, the two went backstage, met Clinton and took pictures with her, holding a sign with her new campaign message, "Standing Together."
    But Ceballo is now questioning the slogan, wondering how the Clinton campaign didn't notice that Mateen's father was allowed to be in the center of the crowd behind the podium at which Clinton stood and addressed the Pulse massacre that left 49 dead and 53 others injured.
    "I know how many people, family members, loved ones and friends are still grieving," Clinton said during the rally.
    "Hillary has been supporting the LGBT community, she's been to Pulse, you know? To find out (Mateen's father) was there, it's really disappointing," Ceballo said. "I'm not happy about it at all. I feel, like, let down."
    Hansen feels differently, however, telling News 6 he believes it was a mere coincidence that Seddique Mateen was there, saying he has the same freedoms as any other American.
    "I'm not upset," Hansen said. "I explained to Jacobi that (Mateen's) is allowed to have his opinion because he is there just like everyone else, trying to show support."
    Hansen said Mateen's son is to blame for the mass shooting.
    "Some people are riled up. Some people aren't," he said. "Me, myself -- you can't blame a parent for what a child has done."
    Clinton's campaign sent a statement to News 6, saying it had no idea Seddique Mateen was at the rally.
    "The rally was a 3,000-person, open-door event for the public. This individual wasn't invited as a guest, and the campaign was unaware of his attendance until after the event," the campaign said.

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/pu...mar-mateens-father-at-clinton-kissimmee-rally
  32. Mann Ace Member

33. Hey Mann Ace,

At least she hasn't intimated that the "Second Amendment people" might have a possible remedy to the problem of judges appointed by a president elected by the opposing party -

"Hillary wants to abolish -- essentially abolish the Second Amendment. By the way, if she gets to pick, if she gets to pick her judges, nothing you can do, folks. Although the Second Amendment people, maybe there is, I don't know," Trump said.

I think, for the sake of this discussion, that it is important that this quote be in the same post as this one helpfully posted by "Incite random actors" above.

"Stochastic terrorism, as described by a blogger who summarized the concept several years back, means using language and other forms of communication "to incite random actors to carry out violent or terrorist acts that are statistically predictable but individually unpredictable."
    Let's break that down in the context of what Trump said. Predicting any one particular individual following his call to use violence against Clinton or her judges is statistically impossible. But we can predict that there could be a presently unknown lone wolf who hears his call and takes action in the future.
    Stated differently: Trump puts out the dog whistle knowing that some dog will hear it, even though he doesn't know which dog."
    I think there is a consensus that we don't have to worry about this kind of reckless language coming from the mouth of Hillary Clinton.
  34. The Internet Member

Some fact checking organization said Clinton averages over 20% factually wrong statements whereas Trump's average is well over 70%. I could look up the source if I were not lazy.

I assume the people bashing Clinton rather than Trump in this Trump thread are hoping Trump will win the election rather than Clinton. But at this point I have to wonder how anyone could hope such a thing. Because holy shit Trump.